Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Out of curiosity, what are the weird little details/secrets/etc people are hoping to see carried over from the original game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There are certainly things here I think are better as a surprise but I guess they're not hestiating.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RC Cola posted:

I assumed she was gonna end up with not dead Zack by the end of part 3 and cloud would end up with tifa

Lookit this nerd who thinks Tifa and Cloud are going to be alive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

Oh my god at 2:09.

GREG

I was surprised more people didn't comment on that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shoehead posted:

Thinking of playing this section as a first timer is wild. Seeing Tifa's reactions without knowing that instead of her thinking forward in the story its her going "Cloud wasn't there how does he know this?!".
Wondering why one of the guards sound so familiar, wondering why Cloud is so chipper. Maybe first time people will think it's because he's so young and he got so stiff after this happened.

They literally rereleased Crisis Core including it rebranding in the Remake name style. It isn't supposed to be a secret

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shoehead posted:

Nah that's not what I'm saying, just imagine you are seeing Niebelheim for the first time ever, is what I mean, though even someone who has followed these releases, from FF7 Remake to CC to this I'm sure will be even more intrigued. Ever Crisis players too

No, I mean Crisis Core covers the Nibelheim part. If you've been following the remake line of games as they come out you've already seen the 'unaltered' version of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Looking forward to people modding to replacing Cait Sith with Sephiroth. In cutscenes too so Sephiroth talks and acts like a 2 foot tall cartoon cat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vitamean posted:

Zack being the voice of the Shinra infantryman and Tifa just going "no, go on..." trying to puzzle out what the hell this man is talking about over the demo is so good. Cloud's being sooooo cringe and he doesn't even know it yet!

Cloud is incapable of being cringe. When he does something he does it wholeheartedly. Fighting, motorcycle fights, dancing, dress wearing, squats, he does it all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

stev posted:

Does the game look a bit washed out to anyone else? I can't tell if it's just because Nibelheim is inherently grey or if it's an actual issue.

It is because Nibelheim is a lovely grey mountain town, you can look at screenshots to see how much brighter things are elsewhere

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

It would be funny if the performance in that section just sucked because of the crowd of people in front of the mayor's office or something. It did seem like conspicuously a lot of NPCs, or maybe it just felt that way because of all of their voice lines firing simultaneously whenever you get close

Demos are usually much more poorly optimized.

Caidin posted:

Clouds mom is just plain Cloud, dang.

We know where he gets his looks from.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caidin posted:

I do wonder what it would be like to wander into the series at this particular moment and experience only the the remake series. Like you already played through part 1. You know that Cloud has brain problems and a tendency to just plain go weird, usually with regards to Sephiroth. Hojo all but got to say that Cloud's whole story about being in SOLDIER is a lie before he got tackled by ghosts. You know there's a DEEPLY similar black haired SOLDIER guy with a/the Buster Sword carrying a catatonic Cloud about in the ending for some reason. Is it enough to guess the impersonation, especially after that demo? I mean yeah the Shinra grunt thing is an "if your looking for it" sorta deal but I think just on it's on merits the remake wants you to go looking for it with everything Cloud says real hard.

I don't agree with this at all because Remake is extremely un blunt about Crisis Core existing and then they rereleased Crisis Core with a new Re-subtitle in between the two games. It isn't Remake -> Rebirth but Remake -> Reunion -> Rebirth so far.

Cloud's flashback is showing us what he remembers because it expects the audience to already be in the know but we're seeing everything from Cloud's PoV.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shoehead posted:

I found it hard to get into because, as has been said it's a psp game and it feels like it. But I watched a heap of fights and cutscenes cut into a movie on YouTube and really enjoyed it. There's some real fun story stuff in there, Zack is fun as hell, Sephiroth is fleshed out a bit more too.

It also retcons Nibelheim, but every time this series has shown those events they've been slightly different, but in a way that maybe won't be reflected in Rebirth? Instead of Sephiroth going "huh my mother's name was Jenova.. am I? Oh no!" Gackt flies through the door and yells "Hey Sephiroth, you're a monster!!! Bye!" and Sephiroth starts his breakdown.

This makes me want to go rewatch Last Order now.

Rebirth sends Cloudzack out of the room to turn a crank so they can conveniently leave that as psuedocanon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Do I need to stop and grind some levels during the story for CC? I think I was trying to play through the side missions and it burned me out on the game a bit.

Honestly probably not? The main story isn't super punishing. Maybe occasionally do a mission if you feel a bit behind but if you sit down and do all the missions at once you'll quickly overlevel. (I beat the optional superboss before I got the Buster Sword for example on my last playthrough.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chadley owns.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Intergrade basically gives Yuffie a more solid grounding and connection than 'some random girl you run into in a forest" which is more important when she isn't a secret character anymore.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Tifa: "Our reactor was the first of it's kind. It really put Mt. Nibel on the map."
Me: "Monorail, monorail, monorail!"

Did the town hall have a sign about some sort of cowboy festival that explains why all the government liaisons are wearing fancy duds? I missed it going back through.

It was the style at the time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Coffee Jones posted:

Sephiroth, stomped by a giant Mako horror and taking critical damage: "Cloud, we're supposed to fight together as a team."

That's a passive aggressive comment. How is this my fault?

I want to give Chadley a wedgie every time I see him.

That is why he rules. He is the biggest nerd in the entire world. Just a huge unyielding dork.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is kind of funny if you picture it as Cloud telling the story.

"And then Sephiroth, man, the Materia Keeper just stomped his rear end flat. Into the loving ground. He spend the entire thing in a coma on the floor while I handled most of it."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bobjr posted:

If yuffie heard the story she would have supported cloud going into her room

Not unless he was stealing Tifa's materia.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder, considering all the blackouts, if it'd make sense to have a spoiler thread once the game comes out so people can actually use the thread without worrying about someone spoiling if Tifa kills Sephiroth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth SPOILER Thread: Defense of the Ancient 2

If I had my choice I'd go for "Final Fantasy VII Rebrith SPOILER Thread: Aerith Dies?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bushmaori posted:

How much is said about Jenova's influence over Sephiroth anyway? I don't remember it being mentioned, but being open to her more murdery power when he was desperate could have been a contributing factor.

It is strongly implied that proximity to Jenova is what set him off. I always read it as 'the combo of the mutant im the pod and Jenova's name opened a crack in his mental defenses that Jenova promptly cracked like am egg'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly if they remade DoC in the Remake style it probably would be a better game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean it isn't really hugely different from the original game except that Hojo's Lab goes from like one boss fight to a final dungeon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

In the original game Barret decides to go invade the world ruling corporation's HQ with maybe a bit of a token attempt at stealth if the player chooses to go for it, then you immediately get captured, mocked, thrown in jail, and sentenced to death because come on how exactly did you think that one was going to go down? Aerith talks about her past a bit and you go to sleep, then you wake up to see your jail cell is open, blood is smeared everywhere, there's freaky mutants on the loose and some really creepy music is playing. The king of this all-powerful world ruling corporation is lying in his office dead, killed by a guy who has only been mentioned in passing until now and who still has not even appeared on screen. Then Rufus shows up to step into the power vacuum, everybody high-tails it out of there in the highway chase minigame, and finally you are dumped into the world map. It's a brisk and emotionally-charged rollercoaster that introduces the story's first big twist and makes a big step towards hyping up the ultimate villain purely by implication.

Remake's version, well, doesn't go like that, the tight pacing and creepiness is replaced by the party getting locked into Hojo's inexplicable multi-story funhouse in the middle of Shinra HQ for a few hours, then there's some time ghost nonsense. And some pointless monkey bars sequence in the lobby. And instead of getting jailed you go hang out in Aerith's old cell willingly and have that conversation there. A great section from the original is replaced by something tedious, boring, and stupid (but enough about my posts). About the only thing that was improved was the 1v1 against Rufus, but that's not a high bar to clear, and the combat system in 7R is definitely its strongest feature.

The rest of 7R is still good but it kind of failed to stick the landing in a big way.

I think you're forgetting the like 4-5 different goofy minigames and puzzles before you get caught in the original. Like it isn't like 'do a goofy minigame to get stuff' wasn't right out of the original.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It would still have been a good game but I think it would have been a lesser one since it would have gone from a game with twists and surprises to effectively what they've done with some popular book-to-movie things and just been divided a story that you already know into multiple parts. Still fun, but a lot less distinct as its own thing.

It'd be funny if they release a FFRemake Classic where they just sell the game again but with everything that wasn't in the original cut out.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 12, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

the problem i have with this idea is that it is only true for people who actually played the original ff7, which is basically from gaming antiquity at this point. remake is more interesting to me than it would have been otherwise but i think it is both A: not as good a story as the original(though I have to reserve final judgment on that until the end of part 3, obviously) and B: essentially requires you to have played the original game for it to be coherent. like i have had a number of people ask me "should I play the ff7 remake?" and when I respond with "well, it's not really a remake so you kind of have to play the original one first" i see the interest drain from their eyes in real time as the prospect of digging up a game from the 1990s with an iffy translation and badly-aged graphics sinks in

I am torn because while I prefer the structure of the original game, I think 7R just does so much better with the character and worldbuilding outside of the Whispers stuff. Biggs, Jesse and Wedge went from effectively cannon fodder to people's favorite characters, side characters are given more of a place in the world, and in general a lot of effort is put into making things flow together better without losing the charm and goofiness of the original. It doesn't replace the original and I think that's genuinely okay when you're discussing a game like FF7 where it is still one of the most recognizable games ever and where 95% of it stands alone fine no matter if you're a newcomer or not.

But then again I like stuff like Rebuild of Eva or Scott Pilgrim Strikes Back, so the meta aspect doesn't bother me. If they weren't absolutely loving nailing it with everything so far I'd probably feel a lot less confident about it, but they've done so much right that to be honest I think I would rather replay the remake than the original so far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seriously, go in surprised

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jetrauben posted:

It hit me from the demo that Cloud talks about how his conversation with his mom was the first time he'd spoken with her in two years, and the last. First off, obviously, leaving home at 14 to enlist, possibly because since his mom was a single mom he didn't want to be a burden on her, is absolutely bugfuck insane. No wonder the poor guy's so messed up. But second, he was in Nibelheim for over a week and he only had the guts to talk to her once, presumably because he was trying to hide from Tifa and the rest of the town. Oof. No wonder her death really messed him up, he could have been spending a lot more time with her if only he hadn't been so afraid!

To be clear, Cloud spent more time with her than we saw, they flash forward through multiple conversations and such. It still sucks though, especially considering that she was nothing but supportive of him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Any gain in power over the course of Remake can very easily (and reasonably) be attributed to "gameplay abstraction," since it doesn't logically make any sense for Cloud/Barrett/etc's combat ability to significantly increase over the court of their Midgar adventures.

Like there aren't any actual story events that directly impart power to the characters, so levels/stats/equipment is all just gameplay abstraction.

What a way to ignore our friend Chadley.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

biceps crimes posted:

i hope we get a knights of the round summon in part 3

and it better have at least an uninterruptible 2 minute animation

I am positive we will and it will have a crazy big boss fight ala the FFXIV version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My theory about the Weapons is that they'll be moved from Optional to Mandatory and tied to the Huge Materia questlines.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

Weren't Ruby and Emerald the only optional ones?

Ultima was optional as well.

Edit:

In fact, as released:

The original release ONLY had Ultimate Weapon, the rest were regulated to cutscenes and were entirely non-fightable.
International/The US release added a mandatory Diamond Weapon fight and optional Emerald and Ruby fights
Sapphire has always been regulated to cutscene only.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 14, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SettingSun posted:

You had to fight Ultima weapon at Mideel right before Cloud takes a mako dip, but finishing it off was optional.

Yeah, sorry, to be clear you had a mandatory encounter with it but then you could ignore it. (Why you would is a question but you could.)

But at this point Weapons are such a big part of FF7 that I can't imagine they won't make them something you have to fight, maybe with a harder version or something as an unlockable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

Part 3 is going to be named Reunion isn’t it?

They already used Reunion on Crisis Core.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SettingSun posted:

I think sometimes about how goddamn weird it is that the world itself has a defense against threats, and that defense is a squad of supersize organic gundams.

I mean it makes sense in that the world in FF7 is an actual sentient living thing in a universe where alien invaders who eat planets exist. Even if they didn't exist before I figure a Jenova is enough to make you start investing in killing machines.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh, I get it. Nanaki will die in Rebirth. That will make the third game Red Dead Redemption.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

who else is getting the limited edition ff7r insomnia cookies

I would think insomnia cookies would be FF15 edition

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

I would swear there's some dialog in the original (that I can't be assed to try to look up) that the Weapons were summoned by the planet when it expected to receive a severe wound and needed a lot of liquid Lifestream to heal- so basically they were supposed to rampage around and kill stuff to convert active life into liquid Lifestream.

Not that I recall. The most detail you get is from the Gast Tapes. The Weapons were created to defeat Jenova (who dealt a wound to the planet so serious it never healed, i.e: Northern Crater) but the Cetra stopped Jenova before the Weapons were deployed, but the planet couldn't just un-create them so they got put into slumber.

DoC has Omega, whose job it is to gather all the Lifestream it can and be effectively an escape pod if the planet is for-real doomed.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

We're not seeing the weapons till next game right? Those were entirely a disc 2 thing

Trailer showed they will be addressed