Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If Aerith sings, they have to have Cloud sing. They just have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I gotta wonder what people would think of the Nibelheim flashback if they had no experience with FF7 and saw Cloud reciting Zack's lines with no context.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

All the things about the Whispers was absolutely 100% necessary for SE to do what they're trying to do with this remake. Even things like Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie being actual characters is only possible to the degree it is because the defeat of fate makes it possible to believe that they'll live.

That said, most of the actual scenes with the Whispers would have been improved by making them half as long, and it would have been nice if they had some actual capacity to be subtle and, like, whisper, at least at the beginning, instead of being the secret planetary agents of destiny whose primary power is to bump into you really hard.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Insomnia cookies are delicious and they probably would have tricked me into ordering some if it had, like, a bonus bracelet in-game and not just a cookie box with Cloud's face.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Finally finished Intergrade just in time. It was pretty good overall, and wow, they made Yuffie into a fun character, and Sonon was surprisingly good as a red-shirt.

That said, it was extremely video-gamey in that so much of what happened relied on Yuffie and Sonon failing to take any particular action to stop people from doing things. You almost have to assume that Scarlet got a memo from the Whispers telling her she can't die in Part 1 because otherwise it makes no sense that she has so little fear of death. (I mean, arguably the Whispers literally would rescue her from death if it happened in this side-story, but she shouldn't know that.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Eh, from what I remember of Original Game Scarlet, she was very much an "I am invincible!" type of overconfident dumbshit until literally the last second before the Prod Clod exploded out from under her. So her characterization in Intergrade tracks completely.

Yeah, I guess this is another example of FF7 Remake hitting a little of weird because it's using actual cinematic direction and psychological realism to depict the reactions of our protagonists to events that are objectively ridiculous. Yuffie has become a character with a certain amount of depth who has normal human reactions to (most) things, but everybody at Shinra is still a cartoon, so when they're in a room together one of them has to give.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ultimately, it's mostly just annoying because it's yet another example of people who aren't able to understand English claiming that a translation is "wrong" because it used a little subtlety and they didn't get it, just like people who claimed that the translation of Ranni's ending in Elden Ring was wrong.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I had sort of gotten the impression that these lifesprings were collecting a bunch of delicious lore for me that I would eventually get around to reading, but if so, I forget where I put it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The Republic of Junon seems almost like a precursor race of aliens with hypertechnology given their ability to make things that still work after a few decades without maintenance (although obviously it's mostly just that Shinra's technology is amazingly wasteful and lovely).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Okay, really starting to hate the last stage of Fort Condor. It's probably not actually the case, but I can't help getting the feeling that the commander's troops are always stronger than mine and that he can summon as many of him as he likes. The one time I got close to whittling his health down, apparently at random, he decided to stop time.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

nothing random about it, that stop spell is his trump card. you need to have ranged units and clerics on standby so they can attack outside the spell's area of effect

Well, I meant that it was random that I managed to whittle him down at all, and it seems equally random whether I'll have any units, either.

Is there a secret to using clerics to keep your guys up? Basically everything seems to vanish immediately once there's a guy from the opposite side of the weapon triangle in the mix.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lmao what is the actual like, dodge timing on attacks, I have tried to do this frickin combat challenge where i have to dodge an attack to pressure them and I have missed it literally 23 times lmfao

I have played the game for 20 hours at this point and i have not really blocked or dodged anything with any precision lol

The secret is to immediately swap characters when he starts that attack and let the AI dodge it for you. It was significantly better than me.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Now that I have complained on the internet, I was able to defeat the interdimensional warlock, although being able to do so still honestly felt pretty random. Still, I at least have Queen's Blood to be the game that at least makes a pretense of being sort of fair, so it's not terrible that Fort Condor is basically an exercise in overcoming the opponent's endless bullshit.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Now the next one is this stupid "Prevent them from flying while they do an ability that repeatedly knocks down your whole party" lol.

This is where MAI is getting annoying, did you know their talons can pierce through solid stone

I found that a single Aero was enough to pressure them out of that, although I'm not sure if it's because their weakness or because there's a pull on it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Finished the Costa del Sol chapter.

That was fun, but I'm kind of disappointed in the way that our heroes have made it clear that they're the Terrorists Who Don't Murder Anybody,* even Barrett. Hojo spent the entire chapter oozing sexual menace to a bunch of women, but we're letting him go because "we've done enough" and then stare at the sunset wondering if hating him makes us a bad person just because he kept two of us prisoner for several years.

This is one of the areas where I feel like Rebirth's mastery of tone falls apart.

*except for nameless mooks, we kill those all the time without a care

Anyway, I love Red XIII; he's the breakout character of 2024.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The main important thing that happens in Interlude is that Yuffie shows up in Midgar ready to kick the entire city's rear end and make everybody there cry, and winds up being surprised when everybody she meets in the Avalanche cell is nice and helpful and actually seem to kind of enjoy living there. (Although when they warn her against the dangerous, violent splinter cell, both she and her partner Sonon agree that the splinter cell look badass and they should make friends with them as soon as possible.) Then they run through the Shinra building getting dicked around by Scarlet pretty much the same way the main party gets dicked around by Hojo a few hours later in the main story. Sonon dies to a really tacky boss from Dirge of Cerberus, and Yuffie escapes from the building just in time to watch Sector 7 collapse pretty much right at her feet. She leaves Midgar with the conviction that she needs to join a team of 6-7 anti-Shinra badasses as soon as possible.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think the main thing that makes Barret feel better is that the enemies he's particularly good at handling are actually tuned so that he can pick them off instead of spending sixty seconds pecking away at a bird.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Quinton posted:

She also makes me feel bad for Rude, who gives off a strong "what did I do to deserve this" vibe, in his extremely reserved way.

I mean, Rude's entire character is insisting that he doesn't deserve this just because of all the bad things he did and is doing currently.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I feel like they also weren't taking the teenaged ninja entirely seriously, and were surprised when she reminded them of her existence and turned out to be a legitimate killing machine.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

That's fair, but they're still wanted criminals with what is, based on the amount of gil in my inventory, roughly a billion dollar bounty on their heads and their mugshots plastered everywhere, and anyone who isn't staunchly anti-Shinra thinks they are basically ISIS, so I'm not sure how much it would really matter if they also got blamed for that. Also kinda weird that Heidegger took the shuriken for him - he seems to be an opportunistic yes-man more than a true believer, and wouldn't Rufus dying basically de-facto put him in charge?

Heidegger strikes me as less of a yes-man and more of a mad dog. He just wants to kill a bunch of people and pat himself on the back for it, and having to do actual administration would take time away from that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think you could make the argument that Chadley takes after his dad more than he realizes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

I noticed him being more wooden, but considering rebirth is basically cloud's disassociation quest I assumed a lot of it was intentional direction. He is a lot more terse in japanese in general, but pretty much everyone is in japanese in every piece of media ever

I feel like in Remake the thing people noticed most was the depth of humanity the game added to Cloud’s portrayal.

In Rebirth the thing people notice most is that Cloud Strife is loving crazy.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's also been, what, officially less than a week since a significant portion of Midgar got wiped out and the entire city went on total lockdown?

I think it's honestly pretty reasonable for Barret to go on sabbatical for several months just to avoid getting arrested, much less take a week off to go hunting Sephiroths.

(admittedly his way of beating the heat could be improved upon)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I feel like people would hate Chadley ten times less if they just patched out every conversation where he calls to thank you for doing a thing you just did.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It is almost identical

I mean, the rules are almost identical, but in Intergrade you were playing against opponents more-or-less equal to you, and in Rebirth you're racing to win in the face of the AI's ridiculous bullshit, which changes things quite a bit.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

lines posted:

Oh yeah, also, what do the numbers mean on the robed men?

I'm pretty sure they indicate which of Hojo's experiments they are. Some of them have letters, which probably tells you exactly what he injected them with, since some guys got plain Jenova cells and others ("S-Type") got Sephiroth cells instead.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Caidin posted:

Even Cloud probably wouldn't actually be a good merc if his friends weren't constantly pushing him to suck it up and help somebody.

Yeah, Cloud is actually really bad at being a professional (probably because it was never actually his profession) and needs to be surrounded by beautiful women who remind him to do things like "politeness" and "accept jobs" in order to keep his business afloat.

It's basically a reverse Charlie's Angels.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Rhonne posted:

Cloud wasn't much of a merc in the OG game. He does like 2 jobs for AVALANCHE before poo poo hits the fan, and the plot starts going. The Remake games keep the merc thing going just by virtue of having side quests.

That, and the increased focus on Cloud's psychological state, so that the tension between his belief that he is a professional mercenary and his complete lack of small-business-owner skills becomes more critical.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I need to beat more Queen's Blood fellows to progress but it seems like the only three remaining in the world are somewhere in Corel where I can't find them. Do they unlock later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Roche seems interested in giving his partner a good time, which Sephiroth is not, although in both cases Cloud is incapable of communicating his (sexual) needs so the distinction doesn't matter much to him.