Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
What's the wait on PC? I think I might just wait to play it if it's a hundred hours long and PS performance mode isn't great.

E: I thought performance mode on 7r was fine as well, but performance mode seems to be getting worse for most games rather than better.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Arist posted:

Anywhere between 3 months and never

Ah ok thanks both. I had seen three months and was like wow that's fast, but I guess that's just the minimum.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah I clearly got my wires crossed on the short turnaround for PC. I'll just grab it on PS5 because I'd like to play it sooner than 2025.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Played the demo. Hate to say it but I actually found it a bit boring. It was just kind of plodding with me wishing I could just hurry poo poo up. The vent vacuum in particular was a wtf. I also read that the full game is full of open world busy work, which I hate.

The graphics at 30 frames are nice, but the game is running at 30 frames which isn't nice. Performance mode seemed to immediately lock it to 1080p which also looked quite bad.

I'll get the game and play it, and I'm sure I'll love it after I get back into the story, but based on the demo I'm very unenthusiastic about it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

stev posted:

Yeah that's the one thing that stood out to me as absolutely bizarre and terrible busywork.

Oh haha the cord is too short you need to push a button and drag this stupid poo poo back around while it gets jammed on everything in the way. This is how we made it. We made the game like this.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

It is a joke. Like I can get not liking the joke but it's pretty bluntly a joke. They do the same thing later on where you have to slowly guide a chicken by shaking a can (which, admittedly, leads to one of the funniest punchlines in the game.) Most of the minigames aren't like that.

Yeah actively doing annoying things constantly is very funny. The first game had them as well. Artificially inflating the highs because you were recently annoyed by a "joke".

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

The joke is that Sephiroth is telling you, the grunt soldier rookie SOLDIER to do tedious stuff while he watches. Like that's the entire joke, you're being given the poo poo grunt work because you are a poo poo grunt because you are lower on the chain of command.

This joke could be done by making you push it for five seconds or an actually funny five second component of one of the many, many cutscenes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

I mean if you genuinely feel the latter way you may want to not buy the game because Rebirth genuinely near-constantly is asking you to do different poo poo. I'm not saying this in a dismissive way, I'm saying it in a "this is the active stated intention of the game to throw tons of different things at you which could have been glossed over but, like in FF7 itself, are instead goofy minigames of varying quality" and if that bugs you then I can see you not enjoying the game.

I think they've made a mistake by making the demo have me question if I can actually be bothered playing their game despite liking the first one.

It also has the walk very slowly and crawl very slowly bits which are frankly grown inducing. It completely undermined the tension for me, especially sephiroth and the villagers just like standing around waiting for you to hold L2 so they can animate.

Like I replayed the first one and love a lot of it, but a lot of it is extremely tedious and annoying. It isn't better or amusing if it's just a nod to tedious annoying things from the past. It's just encouraging you to do something else with your time.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Is it worth severe ire over it though? Dude it's like maybe 2 minutes of time gone who cares go l continue onwards to the rest of the super cool game.

It's a short demo. I haven't played the full game so how do I know what to expect when playing it further? Ire is also some pretty flavourful language for people saying it's pointlessly annoying.

JBP fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 25, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Asterite34 posted:

Yeah, because your time is so valuable, guy posting on Something Awful on a saturday night

Are you ok? Did you make the game?

It's Sunday afternoon and I'm having a beer on my balcony btw

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah look I'm still going to play it because I love FF7 and FF7R a lot. I'm just saying a few things in the demo had me going come the gently caress on.

I'm sure once I'm 50 hours in nudging a turtle across some dunes like Homer Simpson it won't be quite as glaring and they may have earned the gag to boot.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Unlucky7 posted:

“I don’t like my time being wasted” says man wasting his time

Can you ctrl-f up a post about time being wasted for me? I can't find it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Jimbot posted:

Only time I felt the "pacing" slow to the crawl in Remake was doing the hand crane stuff but that has one of the best payoffs in the game. The music in that section is super good too so it was all good. As long as the payoff is worth it I'll sit through a little tedium.

I agree. I guess the payoff in the demo was reprising the Sephiroth walking through flames thing, but it didn't really land for me because the preceding bit with the villagers felt hokey.

E: like Cloud could run in, find everyone dead or Sephiroth finishing someone off, then go straight into Sephiroth giving him the evil smirk and walking off. The very slow walking and L2/R2 crawl were having a shot at tension but it felt like the opposite of tension to me.

Like oh a beam fell on me, time to limp. Oh another beam fell down guess I'll slowly walk around this building now. Wow mom's house really is on fire well good grief I suppose. Ah I appear to be more seriously wounded, glad Sephiroth is happy to wait for me to hold L2. Oh he got one, better press R2 that will... Oh... Oh no pressing R2 made him get another one. L2 and R2!? This'll get the job done.

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 25, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Still waiting on u

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sounds like you're just a high flying big shot complaining about their time being wasted to me.

I agree. Especially on cloud not seeming to give a poo poo about being asked to do stuff by his hero. It's only annoying to the player.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Unlucky7 posted:

Nice meltdown

I'm sorry you had an emotional response to a comment on the videogame demo. I didn't expect it to hit so hard. Hopefully you can move on with your day and enjoy it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

stuker posted:

it may not be to your taste, but i think a lot of people would be disappointed if little annoying stuff wasn't retained/expanded because they do find it amusing. that's what i think ImpAtom is referencing with the jokes

i dunno why some folks are so worked up at you but i'm pretty sure this is the first time The Vacuum has come up in the 2-3 weeks since the initial demo dropped, so i think it's also a bit of a newer debate than performance/graphics mode

I totally get where impatom is coming from and appreciate him reading posts and having a coherent opinion as usual.

Honestly I wouldn't have glommed onto it so much if I was more impressed with the demo overall. There were a number of weak aspects to me, the main one being how the village was presented at the end.

Thinking further on it, it makes me wonder how they're going to handle Aerith (should that happen). Am I going to be doing some weird player involvement button pressing? Will it be sudden and shocking or drawn out and laborious?

I may be misremembering the original, but from memory when you hit that scene you don't have a heap of lead time. The poo poo hits the fan, Cloud goes to the location and Sephiroth has lost it and does the cool fmv. It undermined the cool fmv coming back for me, which was a shame.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Maximum haptic resistance as you pull L2/R2 to cover Cloud's eyes as he begins to weep.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is there a lot of side stuff that has story attached or is it mainly minigames?

Without huge spoilers I know you can't play as Cid or Vincent, but how are they handled? Just kind of a couple of dudes that do their own thing adjacent to you, or do they hang with the group and not get involved in combat for reasons?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I forgot the piano game! That was a highlight.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

D.Fuzzbot posted:

It doesn't really feel like it moves much faster, it still feels like a slog.

How much does Dynamic difficulty scale? Like is the first enemy in the game always gonna be a bit of a threat no matter when you encounter them?

Yeah it makes a very small difference. It was the action of moving it more than the speed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

https://youtu.be/zhIG8Qc_72Y?si=2cZPej4JPbgF2nMF

Sorry for hating

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

I want to point out that Palmer is explicitly only the head of the Space and Aeronautics Division, not general transit, meaning he literally does nothing at the moment. I think transport logistics might actually fall under Reeve.

Reev has carriage of anything Shinra does that you could classify as useful.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Spermando posted:

In the new dub, this line overlaps with his laugh. Just awful.

Edit: this rant reminds me of the weeaboo from another forum I mentioned a few days ago. His two biggest arguments for the English localization being bad were the steel sky line and also translating Cloud's "I shall be your opponent" to "bring it on, bitch".

Bring it on bitch is so good lmao

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

goethe.cx posted:

i anticipate "working from home" on thursday

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I downloaded the game last night and it seemed a little slow but it was done this morning.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

Performance mode looks drastically better to me, way more of an improvement than I expected. Haven't gotten to any open-world stuff yet, but the Nibelheim stuff no longer looks like I need a new glasses prescription.

This is great to hear because the demo performance mode was dire.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

God this limping sucks

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I didn't play the junon demo because I didn't want to see much of the game. Glad I did it.

I have done some wandering in the field. Fought some mobs and met a guy with a truck then had to quit. It's been fun so far with the characters. I've left the game on quality mode. My eyes adjusted fine and if you leave the camera alone it's no worries. Much like the first game leaving the camera alone largely makes it feel more like the original with static backgrounds that are very visually interesting.

Also took me about two minutes to reconfirm that I'm an Aerith man through and through.

E: also I set the difficulty to dynamic or whatever it is because the original game was very easy. So far this is a walkover but I've only seen field trash.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I got to the dock in the swamp. I looked around the grassy but and there didn't really seem like there was anything to do. I found a locked door and a town with nothing in it. I assume I turn back from the dock and things to do appear?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

stuker posted:

you might need to run into bill before that will trigger-- i ran into him and he said to go to the dock even though the innkeeper already mentioned it. the dock scene basically tells you to go to the ranch so i guess he needs to tell you about it first

Yep I met him. Sounds like I was right to just keep moving forward until stuff happens. Thanks both.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah I have a tv with all the current bells and whistles on it so it's disappointing that the game doesn't do a 40fps, 1440p or other mode utilising my tv rather than smearing Vaseline all over everything.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I really enjoyed managing everyone up to 2 bars then dropping the heat in the first game and expect I'll enjoy it again in this one. I tried red for a bit and don't really get it. Need to play him more.

I think I'll probably be playing a lot of Aerith and Barret with Cloud. They were my faves in the first because I gave them a particular spell focus each and coupling that with them being ranged made the mental load much lower. I could build a bit of a rhythm around whose turn it was and when to switch.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The vacuum thing made me feel embarrassed for the developers.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I think mako janitor is probably intended to be a "variety in gameplay" thing but it just sucks. No pun intended

Just saw the big Sephiroth cutscene and holy poo poo did they nail it

It's meant to be a joke because you're a bum and Sephiroth is your boss, but Cloud doesn't seem to care about doing what he's told so it's just a janky and annoying roadblock.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

My complaint was only in the context of the demo just for clarity. The demo was pretty short, so it really stood out as a big clang to me, along with Cloud's fake limp at the end of the demo and how holding L2/R2 before the big scene kind of drained all the oomph out of it for me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Asterite34 posted:

I actually sat down and timed how long you have to dick around with the mako vacuum thing, both instances, from the point they are a visible roadblock to progress to the point that the door is opened and you can proceed.

It is, in total, two and a half minutes. That's it. You probably spent more time fighting, like, a small group of giant birds or a single mud-man.

Everything in the demo dies in about ten seconds on standard.

Also get off this time thing. Nobody is talking about time. They're talking about it being bad.

E: drunk driver dad is, carry on

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am kinda understanding of the whole "wounded walk" thing to emphasize focusing on your environment when poo poo is going down but the L2 R2 where they wait patiently for you to hit the button before doing anything and otherwise they just stand there indefinitely was lmao

Yeah it made the scene come across as very comical. I get that they're trying to evoke the original with these moments and respect the effort, but this part came across as really silly to me, and the ensuing cool cutscene felt poorly served by it.

If it went straight from that guy getting stabbed, to more guys getting stabbed and into the cutscene it might have hit better for me.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I have to say that scene just does not hit right. They needed to be shooting at Sephiroth and he needed to be butchering them independent of your actions. It's a genuinely odd misstep.

(Or if not shooting at him at least like... more obviously terrified to the point of dropping their gun.)

I genuinely thought I had missed something here. I wondered had they already fired the guns and the animation was borked or something. Really weird. It just needed to be sudden and violent.

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 1, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I thought maybe I had misremembered the original scene coming from Sephiroth in the library and watched it again. The entire sequence between leaving the library the end of the cutscene goes for all of one minute. Cloud isn't wounded and just runs in going this is terrible.

The limp is obviously an homage to the animations of the original but why the gently caress is it here!?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

The impression I got is that it's supposed to be a moment of "wait, something is wrong" because (FF7 classic spoilers) why is Super Soldier Cloud Strife limping like he's badly injured after some stuff collapsing, and when you encounter ' Real' Cloud lying near his house he's also got the same basic injuries. So it's trying to emphasize that the guy you're controlling at that moment is Cloud the injured Shinra soldier and not Zack the super soldier.

But it's not super well executed, no.

Yeah for sure... but it sucks. That's not where the drama of this sequence is and doesn't matter.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Obtained the CHAD module.

You know it game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I didn't bother with trying titan straight away because I haven't even upgraded anything. I'd just look at getting more stuff and do the area then give it a go.