Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

About how long is the demo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Welp, the only version of the demo available in my region is bugged to show no text in menus unless I install Korean or Chinese, in which case it displays all menus in traditional Chinese no matter what option I select. At least the acting is in English and I can read the Chinese (painfully slowly), but I really wish Japanese publishers/studios didn’t do poo poo like this (not bitter about only being able to play Elden Ring in Chinese).

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

It’s going to be a long wait for the 29th.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

The Dave posted:

Yeah while they have been knocking literally everything out of the park the music is just doing things on an ethereal plane.

The only thing that clearly put me off in the demo was the visuals — it was hard to see what was going on sometimes the lighting made some of the environments unimpressive. Everything else was outstanding, though, and the music in particular really stood out as being on a different level. I almost wish I didn’t play the demo, because it’s going to be hard to play anything else.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Does anything from this demo transfer to the whole game? I played the first demo, but I kind of regret it, because it made me not want to play anything else until the whole game comes out.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The impression I got is that it's supposed to be a moment of "wait, something is wrong" because (FF7 classic spoilers) why is Super Soldier Cloud Strife limping like he's badly injured after some stuff collapsing, and when you encounter ' Real' Cloud lying near his house he's also got the same basic injuries. So it's trying to emphasize that the guy you're controlling at that moment is Cloud the injured Shinra soldier and not Zack the super soldier.

But it's not super well executed, no.

That was my impression also, the game is playing up the dissonance of Cloud’s account. The scene still was a bizarre misstep, though.

Just doing a drive by of the thread, since I’m mostly trying to avoid spoilers, but here are some random early thoughts after starting chapter 2:

How many different Clouds are there? There’s the player Cloud, the one with Zack and the one reported missing in Midgar when the other party members are dead/accounted for.

Is the player party like, in the life stream or something? I have a feeling this is going to be a stupid mess, but we’ll see.

General question: how much do I miss from skipping mini-games? I’m not sure if I have time for queen’s blood, and I almost certainly don’t want to deal with the piano. Will I miss out on cool weapons/materia from stuff like this?

I really like how the early weapon upgrades (except for Cloud’s) seem to be meaningful gameplay choices, not just stat increases.

Last question, about gear in chapter 1:
Did I miss the sword for purchase there? I didn’t have the gold to buy it. Was I supposed to sell things to purchase it?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I’m trying to avoid reading this thread, but the game is too big and there’s too much to do. I just reached Junon and have enjoyed completing all the open world stuff in chapters 2 and 4, even if it was a little too much, but I don’t know if I want to deal with queen’s blood or other stuff. What can I safely skip to avoid missing cool plot / character progression stuff?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Outside of looking up which quests reward them, there appears to be no indicator as to what side quests give SP progession items or gate other quests/areas.

Bummer.

Do I get extra added damage from linking a dual element materia to an elemental support materia on my weapon?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Okay, so I really like this game, but I absolutely feel stuck in minigame hell. Costa del Sol was a slog, and I can only imagine the golden saucer will be much worse. The end of chapter 4 was spectacular, and the ship had some incredible moments, but I’m so sick of minigames gently caress crunches!

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I got to Costa del Sol and just Segwayd around for about five minutes having a blast just knocking poo poo over before I realised you get stuff for driving it and I immediately lost all will to do it despite being halfway to 4ks BC mental illness I guess?

The thing you get does not seem worth it at all. The shooting minigame gave time materia as a reward and it made me want to tear my hair out, but I did it anyway because disorder spam with that lightning enemy skill is hilarious and I want as much ATB as possible.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Sorry if this gets discussed all the time, but I’m mostly still trying to avoid the thread. Are later open world areas as annoying as Gongaga? Once I figured out what to look for it wasn’t so bad, but it still took me something like four hours to clear almost everything. The environments and art direction are great, but those mushrooms drove me nuts.

Also, are the charged up synergy skills just super busted? Especially the charged magic ones seem nuts — they do more damage than most atb abilities, build a full atb bar on two characters, are ranged, prevent stagger by most attacks, can hit multiple enemies fairly frequently and aren’t even that slow. Cloud standing in one place spamming spell blade ends most fights near instantly.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

How close to the end am I if I’m just cleaning up open world stuff at the end of chapter 9? Are there still a lot of giant open world sections left?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Man, that “kill the mindflayer first” condition in the battle simulator was a huge pain in the rear end. I used sleep on the other two enemies, but it still took a bunch of tries because someone would inevitably wake one up and a string of horrible poo poo would happen and ruin the attempt. What are you supposed to do there?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Books On Tape posted:

I just got the rune blade in Junon. I’ve been using Cloud as primarily a physical attacker and this swords physical attack is poo poo. Is there something I’m missing with it or should I just learn the ability and ditch it?

Spellblade, Cloud’s synergy skill with Aerith and Yuffie is ridiculously powerful and scales with magic. The runeblade also has an upgrade to increase synergy damage. Cloud+Aerith, in particular, wreck enemies as a magic focused pair because both can get really high magic, Cloud can build both characters’s atb with spell blade and Aerith has wards to make their magic even stronger.

Wamsutta posted:

I can’t do enough damage quickly enough to these things to stagger anything let alone do it with 2 characters when one gets bound, this fight is straight up enraging lol

This is from a couple days ago, but Cloud’s focused thrust will take them from zero to almost fully staggered with one shot if you hit them with it when they’re blocking. Build atb on Cloud, switch to another character, then hit them with focused thrust as soon as it starts blocking

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

So does anyone know why synergy skills sometimes change their shortcut position between triangle and square? It keeps happening to me and when I notice it the only thing I've changed on any character is at most some materia, no party or combat settings changes

I’ve noticed that too. I wonder if the game sometimes changes the order of your active party members after cut scenes or something.

I’m through most Nibelheim open world stuff and just starting on the plot segment of that chapter, but now I’m legitimately worried that I won’t have time to finish the game in the next 10 days or so, after which I’m going on a trip that will take me away from my PS5 for a few weeks. What’s sort of the minimum and maximum time it would take to finish from mid chapter 11? I’m trying to do all side quests and open world stuff, but I can start skipping things if necessary.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

This game has a truly amazing ability to make me shift rapidly between intense frustration and delight. The chapter 12 side quest coliseum fight in the dust bowl had me tearing my hair out until I took a break for 30 minutes, came back and mopped the floor with each fight effortlessly. I still think it’s really lovely to not let you restart from specific fights in a series. Winning the whole series easily was really satisfying, but redoing 2 over and over until I figured out you can just run around in circles waiting for transcendence to charge, then getting to 4 and losing because I didn’t have lightning on Tifa was really, really annoying.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I got Aerith for the date and now I’m not ready for the ending at all. feel like it’s hitting the foreshadowing super hard and now I’m sad When this game is good, it’s really, really good.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

What’s the strategy for Rufus in chapter 12? I won the fight on the first try, but it was really messy and I wasn’t sure how I was ever actually supposed to attack in the first phase. I got a lucky stagger, then Bahamut got me to the second phase, which felt a lot more manageable, but it was very frustrating, and I have no clue what I was expected to do there.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I did all side quests except chocobo racing, but I skipped out on crunches, glide de chocobo, finishing the protorelic quest (I would do this after finishing the game, but I doubt I’ll have time before leaving on a long trip) and updated chapter 12 minigames. I’m just starting at chapter 14 and conflicted about whether or not I’m ready for the game to end. I’m definitely not ready for the ending itself if it follows the original game’s plot, though. The game is absolutely amazing, and intensely frustrating at the same time. Definitely a weird feeling.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I had enough healing that I felt the fight was hard to lose on dynamic and I got through on my first try, but it took forever and I won by brute force. I didn’t pick up on the pattern for reloading and I didn’t know how to dodge his ricochet move, so I just reflexively dodged every time he got close, which meant I missed out on a lot of opportunities. It just felt like a really messy fight that was frustrating and punishing, but that I was still able to win just by grinding it out for long enough to wear him down.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Just finished the game and now I have depression.

Overall, this is the most impressed I’ve been by a game since Elden Ring. I absolutely hated parts of it, but the parts that are good are so good it’s worth it. Kind of like the original, actually.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I think they should retroactively add it to rebirth just so I can do aeriths little twirly thing that I assume I won't get to see in part 3 at least not until the very end

I love that twirly thingy! It fits the character so well.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You need to keep one ATB on both Cloud and Aerith banked at all times, and keep healing materia on them both. Prayer is even better.
Also bank limit breaks for the last 10% of the fight. Aerith has a limit break that gives invulnerability and Cloud's limit breaks will one-shot the boss during the final phase.

Generally speaking keeping healing materia and one ATB banked on all characters at all times throughout the entire game is standard good practice. It allows you to react much much better

I just used mist giga-potions (used, like, 8 of them across the whole gauntlet) in that situation, though healing or prayer would work. I’m pretty sure heartless angel has a long wind up, so you can build atb while he’s charging it and recover quickly. I didn’t bank limit breaks, but I never saw his end of fight super move either. I did finishing touch, rising fury, finishing touch at about half hp, then staggered him and spammed spells with both characters from arcane ward, which took him out. Aerith layering all three wards is so drat powerful

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I discovered a use for the Synergy materia - pairing it with Comet on cait sith and just filling the screen with fire to the point of slowdown every fight

Is it actually hitting enemies ? Who knows! Free comet 5 times a fight

Something I read on Reddit is that if you put the automatic triangle ability materia on Aerith, she’ll automatically teleport to her arcane ward every time she’d cast a spell when not directly under your control, and that includes from synergy materia. I’m away from my ps5, so I can’t confirm it, but if you really want to fill the screen with comets, that would be the way to do so.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

That’s awesome. I didn’t know really get how to use her at all until someone mentioned her synergy attacks are ridiculous

Radiant Ward is also mandatory if you’re going to control her directly, which often makes sense, since you don’t want Aerith close enough to use spellbound blast, and if Cloud or Yuffie are being focused on by the enemy, they may not have time to safely charge spellblade or foxfire. The main issue is just building ATB, and once you’ve figured that out, she’s a beast. That means first strike materia and ATB boost are golden.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

GateOfD posted:

The single player Gus monster battles was okay, other than Aerith. Those drat fireballs just kept stunlocking me on many attempts. Just spent forever running around throwing pot shots til I staggered one and was able to use a summon.

I don’t know what the intended way to do that is supposed to be other than perfect blocking the fireballs or having level 2 elemental materia matched to fire (mine was only level 1). But it’s actually trivially easy if you just run around, cast transcendence, wait for it to charge, cast again, rinse and repeat. It’s a foolproof, but very tedious way to win. I’m not really sure what the devs were thinking with that fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Cavelcade posted:

Use Lustrous Shield to block their ranged attacks, and maybe run around a bit if they come too far forward.

That didn’t work for me at all. I just couldn’t build ATB fast enough to keep the shield up and actually do damage in the time it took them to close in and walk right through it.