Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Are there any pre order bonuses for this?

I know you get some gewgaws if you preorder from a store; IIRC Best Buy is a steelbook, Target is a controller skin/sticker thing, GameStop is a hat.

As for in-game, I think standard edition is a bangle, and digital deluxe edition/ DD Twin Pack is

I've seen mention of a Moogle Trio summon, but I think that might be just the collectors edition that also included a Sephiroth statue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I finally beat the first game. (My saves said the last time I played was May 2020 lol). Considering I completely forgot the controls, it only took me three tries on Motorball and died once against Whisper Bahamut.

That final section was some Kingdom Hearts-level nonsense, but hey. I guess I'm moving on to Intermission and the demo now.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

This game is going to take me forever to get through. I'm still faffing about in the Grasslands doing busy work.

And I'm guessing it might be part of a sidequest where you're helping townspeople, but there's two women in Kalm that are just endlessly slapping each other in the face...

Barret's still the best.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, that's a reference to the original game. In the original game Tifa and Scarlet get into a frankly bizarre slap fight, which I assume in part 3 is going to be replaced by Tifa fighting like Scarlet in power armor or something.

Seriously? I know about that in the OG, just seems a bizarre place to drop a callback. It did cross my mind, but honestly, I figured it was going to be a quest for that rando standing around with the big bouquet or something. Like 'find out why his girlfriend hasn't showed up.'

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Just realized I never assessed a quest-related enemy Beck, got all of his goons though in Chapter 2.

Any chance of them showing up in a combat sim or some other quest down the line? Or is that something I'd have to wait for NG+ for?

Junon-area sidequest grumbling, I never wanted to play Fort Condor ever again.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I think I bricked the shooting minigame at Costa del Sol. I hit retry after a round, and now if I try to start either level, as soon as the countdown starts, the gunsight jerks up to the ceiling and I can't aim anywhere.

I tried closing out, restarting the system, turning it off, switching controllers... still can't aim.

I can buy the two top prizes elsewhere, yeah?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

stuker posted:

did you accidentally turn on the motion controls? (if so hit triangle)

Ah jeez, that's exactly what I did. Thanks!

Also, oh my god, interacting with the chocobo stop chicks in the Corel region :3:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Jimbot posted:

If I remember correctly, Reno doesn't show up until later on in the OG either. Tseng, Elena and Rude are the main three for a bit. But I could be mistaken, it's been a while since I played the original (something I should remedy).

From the original, you fight him on the pillar and then he doesn't return until Gongaga. When the Turks show up in the Mythril Mines, I think they mention he's been out of commission because you beat his rear end so badly on the pillar.

I don't remember if he was at a Junon bar like the others in the original though. (I think he might have been?)

So far it lines up with where he was away in the OG. I'm only just starting Corel though, so I dunno if he's missing at a later point.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Frankston posted:

Where the gently caress are the materials for the 'saga of the seaside quest'? I feel like I've scoured this entire area head to toe and I've only found 2 bundles but apparently there are 8??

They don't show up on the map, you have to locate the zipline/parcel and then it shows up.

Here's a map if you're not interested in running around to find them.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I just finished chapter 8, and I really don't care for how they did Dyne's scenes/death. Everything around it just felt so busy. It's a plot point that feels like it could have used some time to breathe. Instead Dyne goes down in a hail of bullets, and you don't really get time with that, because you immediately have to fight a robot, then you get a buggy, then do a chase sequence with a terrible shooting game.

I also kinda of wonder why they switched it up to getting shot up by Shinra soldiers rather than his nihilistic ending in the OG.

At least Dio promised to bury him . Guy's a mensch.

I did like Cloud's defense of Barret at Gold Saucer Yeah, nah, if he did it, he wouldn't have destroyed the cameras. He'd have let you know it was him

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

SettingSun posted:

Didn't really consider that they just wouldn't address it (which is ultimately ok, for the record).

Oh, you can find out what happened to your equipment from the first game in Chapter 9.
Johnny's got them.

In my mind, they left their stuff in the getaway truck and just couldn't go back for it because of Sephiroth making them go into a dimensional rift.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Finished the Gongaga reactor part, and I know nobody on the team is the brightest but why isn't somebody more concerned about 'hey Cloud killed a bunch of dudes and tried to kill Tifa?

Should we keep an eye on him? Nah. He can sit alone in the same room as her with the door shut.

I guess you can say since everyone was separated they didn't see everything go down, but dang Tifa, say something other than 'hey remember when we were kids?' And definitely don't try to date him!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Just finished Chapter 9/started 10

Oh no, Roche. I liked you as the weirdo with a meteor-sized man crush on Cloud. Don't become some genetic abomination I have to put out of its misery.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I do appreciate that in Rebirth you can still use a pheonix down on Gi Nattek, and while it doesn't instantly kill him it does annoy the hell out of him.

I was a little bummed that throwing a phoenix down at it didn't work like in the original. I didn't exactly expect it to, but still.

I got through that portion yesterday, and aw Barret, slipping his shades on when Nanaki found out the truth about his dad. You big softie..

My main beef with the Gi was how dang slow they talked/not being able to speed through the dialogue.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

CapnAndy posted:

If I'm remembering right, OG Yuffie steals your materia like right after you meet, right? Before she's even a full-fledged party member? I can't see her doing it now, it doesn't fit her character and she's got too much trust with the group.

If you select the "wrong" answer in her recruitment dialogue chain, she'll steal some Gil and take off.

IIRC, when you recruit her after that, she'll even offer to give back what Gil she has left over after medical bills.

And a random question, I know people have mentioned you can see things listed like everyone's affection score when you clear the game, but can you look up other things like what synergy abilities got used the most?

I know for a fact my top two most-used are Cyclonic Kick and Avalanche Two-Step, but I'm mildly curious if I can look it up.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 21, 2024

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Quote is not edit.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Macaluso posted:

This is me being nitpicky about certain changes but I'm not a huge fan of the gang immediately, upon getting to the gates of Nibelheim right there on the spot, figuring out that everything is brand new and Shinra rebuilt the town. I much more preferred the slower burn of getting to the town and the initial confusion about why it looks exactly like it used to, and then you learn about the rebuilding through notes you find in one of the buildings. Nitpicky as well, I also kind of feel like this is one of those instances where they put too many people in the town, where Nibelheim should not feel this crowded

I feel kinda nitpicky about it too; I also didn't like how Tifa straight-up told the supervisor 'I lived here until, you know...' Lady, you're one of the only survivors of a massive top-secret conspiracy. Why you just coming out and admitting you know about it?! Then again, nobody seemed to care.

I also think having it be a care spot for black robes took away one of the biggest creepy things from the original. The town was just full of cloaks. You didn't know why. Then from files and a few dialogue bits the cloaks mutter at you, you realize oh gently caress, they're the survivors from the fire.

Unless I missed some incidental dialogue, I don't think that was hinted at, aside from in the town hall maybe?

Positive bit about the Nibelheim section, Barret's dialogue when you pick up a quest that involves investigating the Manor.

"I was even voted 'Bravest Buddy' back in the day!"

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Huge shoutout to turner the shinra grunt queens blood player in nibelhem who has a whole spiel about how he's the best at slacking off to play cards and calls you comrade

During the Junon segment you run into a grunt gleefully taking about how he's aaaaaaall about slacking on duty. I wonder if it's the same guy, or if Shinra's got a club of dedicated slackers.

Made it through Chapter 12. My date was Barret, and I liked the bit of backstory you get in the sky wheel scene with him. (I'm also firmly in the 'holy poo poo nobody try to date this man' camp given Cloud's goings on in this game, so I was happy for bro time)

Send in the Clowns in the Battle Square is kicking my rear end though.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I finished up the Queen's Blood story line and when the post-match cinematic/wrap-up was happening I went 'you fuckin' dorks' with the utmost fondness.

I can only imagine that's what everybody else in the crew was thinking as well.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Wamsutta posted:

got all the way to shadowblood queen and the game throws all the QB mechanics out the window, she has rank 1 cards with 6 power she can just throw down immediately that we can’t even get lol. This is just stupid.

I trash-won that match only thanks to the UPA card.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Am I really dumb or does yuffie not have a synergy skill that lets her increase her limit level? I managed to unlock her level 3 limit break but can't find an ability to raise the limit level

E: nvm I found one in reds folio she just doesn't have one in her own I think

Cloud and Barret's tandem attacks with Yuffie also raise the limit level, but yeah, her own grid doesn't have any.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Fedule posted:

I don't understand why Kyrie is set on specifically emulating Cloud when she has an extremely obviously different skillset and background. But drat, she clearly has a contact who's a talented composer. That's the real mercenary work in this setting.

When I got that Kalm sidequest to go look for the merc, I was like, 'oh man, it's gonna be Roche trying to copy his BFF!'

I was utterly disappointed.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I just beat the game and was just kinda cold on the whole thing. It might have to do with the fact that the final boss battles just kept going.

On that note, is the party composition always set for each portion, or can it vary? Because I ended up with some wild party compositions at a couple points.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Ometeotl posted:

Press the touchpad to bring up the Assess menu in the battle and then hit R1 (I think) and it'll show a list of the boss's attacks and the attributes of those attacks.

Wait, what?! :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Digital Flower posted:

Anyways, since I'm thread-crashing here, I have 10, 12 and 13 in my backlog. Which one has the best vibes and chocobo content? 16 sounds miserable.

Oh, 10 certainly has chocobo content...