Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
There’s a dedicated Reddit thread for leaks on the r/FFVIIRemake sub. There was also a thread on ResetEra, but it appears to have been nuked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I’m in the middle too. Like, general gist spoilers make me loving hyped and/or prepped for disappointment. I tend to save the gritty details and full context for the full play through.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

goethe.cx posted:

Thus far nobody seems to have credible information about the ending. A couple posters in the reddit leaks thread claim to have copies and have posted details about Gold Saucer dates

Yeah, the Reddit thread and a few others are just full of shippers foaming at the mouth. There’s one very recent ending “leak” in there though that sounds plausible and cool, but it’s probably not.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Reddit leak thread got nuked, apparently due in part to a summary of the ending getting posted. Lol lmao. If anyone saw it, it was supposedly the version that popped up on Discord last night with (PURPORTED ENDING AND FINAL BOSS SPOILERS) Aerith dying, Cloud maybe suffering a mental break, Zack making an appearance via world merging shenanigans, and Bizarro Sephiroth, now called Sephiroth Reborn being the big bad final boss.

No clue if that's actually what happens, but the person who was dropping hints and impressions in the Reddit thread popped up elsewhere and implied this is fairly accurate.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

I've got one of those brains with super high levels of both curiosity and impatience. Add to that all the expectations I have based on my own love of the source material and I think not knowing (in broad strokes at least) where things were going would've actually lessened my enjoyment (purely on a personal level, this is absolutely just a me thing). Hard to say I guess.

This is me. I won’t watch the ending until I actually get to it, but knowing the high level overview prevents me from spending the entire game rushing to the end to scratch that itch, and spend more time vibing with my video game friends.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Gologle posted:

So, even in Remake, I had a feeling that this series would "tie-up" the Compilation, in the sense that the events of this series would practically wrap everything up so there would be no loose ends remaining afterward, essentially making it so the events of Dirge of Cerberus and Advent Children will no longer happen. Does anyone else agree, or do you think the future events will still transpire?

Part of me suspects that “defying fate” or whatever is a vehicle to unshackle the story from the (future) Compilation stuff and have a FF7 remake that stands on its own self-contained legs.

Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised if we go back to having an ending where we’re not entirely sure if humanity survived, before Advent Children answered that for us.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Azubah posted:

I think she'll be around but only Cloud sees her and it unsettles the group as he appears more and more unhinged as the plot goes on.

I really like how more crazy he gets too (super rear end in a top hat in the city of ancients, but that more Sephiroth influence than anything else) and how everyone keeps giving him side eye.

I feel like this is where I want it to go, and then the Aerith hallucinations stop after the Tifa/Lifestream sequence.

Cloud accepts her as gone, until at least the very end when she asserts her influence one last time to take over the Lifestream and negate Meteor.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Cloud is the sanest person in the game. It’s everyone else who’s crazy. :shepface:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it’s either Jenova cells, or him being dunked in mako for so long that a piece of him was literally left within the Lifestream - one that eventually needs to be retrieved for him to be whole again. And him having that connection to the planet can make him see all kinds of trippy planet-conjured machinations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I think it’d be totally cool if this was just them fleshing out the Sephiroth vs the Planet conflict, and really hammering home that the Planet is a living thing that can make choices. They’ve done a lot of that in this project, taking concepts that were more implied and making them front-and-center.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

D.Fuzzbot posted:

I would sorta like to see a world where Aerith survived and if they were able to stop meteor with just holy by having Dio catch it with his tree trunk arms and throwing it into the sun.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Final Fantasy VII: Redemption, where Sephiroth actually turns out to be a good guy all along

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

This is perhaps meaner than I should be, but I think they've been careless enough with red herrings and contradictions so far that I don't really think the way Aerith is lying in any given scene is relevant, because I don't trust that they put that much thought into it that went deeper than "it'd be a really striking image if she woke up in Cloud's arms in this shot."

Honestly, Aerith opening her eyes just brought to mind Biggs and Zack’s stories about waking up after they thought they were goners. The fact that Cloud is there I took as him mentally straddling between the living and Lifestream worlds.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

Yeah I sorta suspect this is what purists are going to get most mad about in part 3: a longer, more in-depth ending that cuts out a lot of the ambiguity. And while I do get that, there's something very striking about the original's ending, it did also lead some people to believe all the humans had died until Advent Children proved that wrong so maybe they want to be a bit more clear on that front this time or something.

Twist: they remake the OG ending and make it even more ambiguous.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Rhonne posted:

I'm still not sure why Biggs of all people got pulled into the alternate timeline in the first place. Where Jessie and Wedge not good enough for you, White Whispers?

Jessie and Wedge are in the timeline where they just eat unlimited pizza 24/7.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Pain and sorrow are stored in the balls

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

ImpAtom posted:

The question is will they keep the Xenogears reference?

Part 3 is also jointly billed as Xenoblade 4.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Morroque posted:

I'm half expecting Cloud to start having a Sephiroth-induced mental break, only to then have Chadley show up and start talking to Sephiroth, giving helpful and inane advice on how to puppeteer Cloud more efficiently.

Chadley’s inevitable death in part 3 is gonna be the true tearjerker event.

“Cloud. Thank you for everything you have done for me. As I fade from this form, I wonder if I may too experience the boundless cycle of the Lifestream. Or perhaps not. But as I begin this journey, I leave you one…last…request…”

A marker pops up on your map. It’s Chadley’s human body to give a proper burial. :smith:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I like Cid in Rebirth, and I also don’t think it’s a massive shift from who he was in the OG. Though to make a Star Trek reference, he’s giving me Trip Tucker vibes lol

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Like, I think it’s more than “Cloud’s cuckoo” - he’s drenched in Mako and god knows what else, possibly giving him a special connection to the Lifestream. These multiple worlds are definitely more than just delusions, I just think the nature of them is up for debate. Are they literally MCU-style alternate universes, or Lost-style dream worlds conjured up by the Lifestream collective imagination? Personally I subscribe to the latter.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Part 3 is going to have Zack and Aerith reincarnate as Emerald and Ruby weapon

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Augus posted:

Really good post

I was typing up something similar, but you put it way better than I was going to. Rebirth in general really hones in on fleshing out both Cloud’s perception of things, as well as the nature of the planet and the Lifestream - and how those two tie together.

I really think this is just ratcheting up the tension for a massive catharsis moment when Cloud gets his poo poo together in part three, hitting way harder than it did on disc 2 of the original.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I don’t think it matters whether or not Cloud is making it up whole cloth, or He Can See Dead People. He’s still falling out of reality, mentally.

Also notice when Aerith opens her eyes as Cloud is cradling her - she’s surrounded by green Lifestream bits, the same as when anything else in the game dies. Definitely leaning toward Aerith being a Lifestream ghost.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Rhonne posted:

Also we get the highwind to fly around in.

I’m wondering how they’re gonna do the world map if we do get to zip around in the Highwind. The playable map in Rebirth really does not line up with the World Map as displayed in-game. There’s a lot of abstraction and shortcuts and shrinkage going on to make it a seamless experience, so it’ll be interesting to see what they do here.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
In that same convo, both Zack and Biggs comment that their sense of time is completely nerfed, with Biggs specifically pointing out that he can’t remember when he met Cloud.

I really think they’re veering hard into the planet as a living organism in this series, extrapolating off of the basic comparisons made in the original, The Lifestream is obviously analogous to the bloodstream, the whispers are cells, and Sephiroth infects them to make them cancerous “bad” cells. The Weapons are the immune response, and whatever the hell is going on with the multi-worlds is the planet’s imagination running amok via a possibly literal fever dream.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

IcePhoenix posted:

it's funny because people kept joking that this was FF7 Horizon on launch but it's actually Xenoblade 3, just nobody realizes it because it was a switch exclusive so nobody played it.

I played it, and Rebirth is absolutely a Xenoblade spiritual cousin. Just as Xenoblade is a spiritual cousin to FFXII.

Everything is cyclical.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Crockpot theory that doesn’t make any sense at all: all the worlds we’re seeing, including the “real one”, are within the Lifestream. The games take place in the instant after Meteor is destroyed, and is the planet running humanity through a trial to see if they deserve to live or die.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

Prediction: we'll get the whole Supernova animation during the final battle in part 3, but only once as a phase transition

Or the whole multi-world thing is literally just an excuse for Sephiroth to use Supernova more than once, wiping out multiple solar systems lol

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I know it’s been brought up before in-thread, but regarding the debate over the nature of these alternate worlds…

1. Sephiroth mentioned multiple times he’s generating sorrow/hate/negative emotions.

2. Right after he kills Aerith, he says something to the effect of creating hope and then snatching it away produces the most intense negative emotions.

3. The fakeout with the sword deflect seems like a logical example of this.

I could definitely see Sephiroth’s endgame being producing a miasma of negative energy to overtake the Lifestream and prevent it from sabotaging his Meteor plans. And he has somehow broken a key mechanism of the Planet, making the Lifestream conjure up additional temporary worlds for souls to inhabit and subsequently harvest their suffering. Essentially making an eternal purgatory machine to help speed along the infection process.

Basically, he’s able to mess with Cloud in such a way to maximize his suffering for some thus far unknown reason.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

I think the new Gi lore, about how they created the black materia by infusing all their despair into what sounds like a clear materia, probably ties into this, too.

I agree here wholeheartedly. I think the Gi lore may be telegraphing the whole thing - Sephiroth is preventing souls from returning to the planet by trapping them in perpetual purgatory worlds, eventually turning them into despair batteries.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Rhonne posted:

Stamp was Jenova all along.

♫ Je-no-va, Je-no-va♫

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Augus posted:

I think there could’ve stood to be a scene in between to show Bugenhagen starting to rethink his assumptions, as is he just goes straight from being dismissive to sending Naniki on his way to save the planet

He does though, right after the planetarium scene before you go to the seminar. He has a moment of “you know, maybe I’m just too old to accept these new theories” in a scene with Cloud.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Imagining Chadley standing nonchalantly at the bottom of the ocean, waiting for Cloud and the gang.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I dunno, I’m of the mind that we as the players are over-analyzing. Which I think was the intent, since it keeps the hype going to sell games in a three part series. But ultimately, I think everything is going to end up mostly the same. We get expanded lore about the planet, the Lifestream, and Wutai, but in the end…Cloud and the gang defeat Sephiroth, the Lifestream takes care of Meteor, and Aerith is dead.

And I don’t mind that one bit, personally. I think the “anything could happen” is less of an indicator that the story is fundamentally different, but more of a free pass to shuffle things around a bit to make FF7 work as a PS5 game and smooth out some of the more clunky parts of the story.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yep, I’m solidly in camp A. In my mind, they’re expanding on the tidbits about the nature of the Lifestream, the souls the make it up, and Jenova that were in the OG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The mako is dry because they’re already in the mako. Makes u think

(No really I think that might have something to do with it.)