Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

mediaphage posted:

call me maybe is still a banger and i regularly exercise to it lol

i don't even like that song that much or even the singles off Emotion! she just has a lot of really good fuckin songs!

180 is the number of degrees i turn when taylor swift starts playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Guavanaut posted:

Easy solution there, be too busy to respond to the next one. Next question?

Double down, next time we use the full strength of the British military. Blow up a cactus or something

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Watching her flip the book around, I misread the title as "Ten Years A Slave" and had to do a search.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Marmaduke! posted:

Double down, next time we use the full strength of the British military. Blow up a cactus or something
I mean he could scrap the entirety of Trident 1200 feet above Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, and Haifa, but I think that gets you uninvited from things.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Actually could he? Perhaps the American guidance system only allows them to target Syria and Iran and a pool of water 50 feet away from the boat. Concerning.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Still not really sure why it's the RAF's job to shoot down drones and missiles over Israel. Someone get the Taxpayer's Alliance on this maybe?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Rishi carrying the printer all the way to Tel Aviv

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

A better PM than Liz Truss:

OH BOBBINS!

Carrie! It escaped again! I can't go out in public bald help me catch the drat thing.

DILYN NO STOP TRYING TO HUMP IT YOU SUPERFLUOUS HOUND

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Dabir posted:

I know he's talented, but I didn't think 47 cared much for music beyond Ave Maria

ahem

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

sebzilla posted:

The most impactful UK musicians of recent years are, unexpectedly, (British) Sea Power because of their work on the soundtrack of the greatest CRPG of all time, Disco Elysium.

Disco Elysium could have been so amazing, they made a 'combat system' of differing political ideas but then completely hosed it by being boring orthodox shitlibs.

Rarity posted:

Calling the IKs on everyone in this thread who doesn't recognise our lord and saviour T Swift

Not a Swiftie but Anti-Hero hits.

big scary monsters posted:

Still not really sure why it's the RAF's job to shoot down drones and missiles over Israel. Someone get the Taxpayer's Alliance on this maybe?

The amount of money we spent stopping the Houthi blockade is astounding, especially as 'Houthis are only doing actions to stop the massacre in Gaza' is a completely coherent explanation for their activity profile. Between Med naval activity, finding ways to get aid in, using our bases to resupply Israeli jets and using our own fighters to intercept the Iran attack it's bloody ridiculous how much we're spending to support an ethnic cleansing/revenge campaign.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Seriously what the gently caress is wrong with you?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Vitamin P posted:

Disco Elysium could have been so amazing, they made a 'combat system' of differing political ideas but then completely hosed it by being boring orthodox shitlibs.

Not a Swiftie but Anti-Hero hits.

The amount of money we spent stopping the Houthi blockade is astounding, especially as 'Houthis are only doing actions to stop the massacre in Gaza' is a completely coherent explanation for their activity profile. Between Med naval activity, finding ways to get aid in, using our bases to resupply Israeli jets and using our own fighters to intercept the Iran attack it's bloody ridiculous how much we're spending to support an ethnic cleansing/revenge campaign.

please talk to Gauvanaut if you think your threadban should be removed

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
idk what you did to get shitlisted but the shitlist must be enforced :catstare:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Labour are so loving bad at trying to meme
https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1780317739061780984

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

They are, but I don’t think that that’s bad. They’re at least… trying?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

yung lambic posted:

Given that they have staffers whose job is to run 'social media', I don't think "we're trying" or "it's not bad" is the sort of bar Labour should be aiming for.
It should be whatever bar Starmer is currently getting pissed at, and with grenades.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Keir Starmer believes in meming sensibly and responsibly.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sure he can do it, but I wouldn't trust his recs

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

Keir Starmer believes in meming sensibly and responsibly.

Why doesn't anyone ever use "forensically" re Kieth anymore?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

yung lambic posted:

The thing is they aren't trying. Producing lovely memes like this is bad when Labour are missing so many open goals.

A prime example of a current open goal is the recent stealth resignation and absconsion of Lord Bamford after 'accidentally' doing an Alan Sugar and offshoring his wealth while a Lord. He apparently owes half a billion in tax. He's also mate of David Cameron, was nade a Lord by him, and has donated millions to the Tory party. It's a prime example of Tory corruption. Is there a mention of it?

Is there gently caress. There's surely something about Lady Mone's fraudulent activities?

Strange. They must have at least once mentioned her company by name, even in passing, right?

Tory corruption is an open goal that will resonate with everyone who is currently feeling the financial pinch, so it's really loving confusing* why Labour has been steering clear of this.

[*not confusing at all when you realise that Keith wants to continue the same frauds when he's in power as nothing is going to change]

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 16, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

crispix posted:

I think they were the one who kept doing posts about how English people weren't human in a way that went past "lol yeah gently caress the english" to "is that an Austrian accent?"

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

PriorMarcus posted:

Anyone got any tips on how to start learning sign language with a qualification at the end of the course?

A little late, but I thought I'd peek my head out from my lurker cave as a BSL-learner. In no particular order, my tips are:
  • The main awarding body for BSL is Signature, so you'll want to go with an approved teacher/centre. Handily, the Signature website has a page where you can search for local centres.
  • My recommendation would be to go to in-person classes if you can. I'm not saying you can't learn sign language via Zoom, but it's much harder in my experience.
  • I'd also recommend learning with a deaf teacher, partly because with hearing teachers it's much easier to 'cheat' with talking/whispering and the best learning is when you're fully immersed. Another reason is that when learning BSL it's best to learn about Deaf culture and the UK Deaf community and not just the language in isolation. You want to be taught by someone fluent in sign as well, so that will usually be a deaf teacher or a coda (child of deaf adults) just due to the fact it is not a wide-spread language.
  • The history of BSL and deaf people in the UK is worth learning alongside the language, but is pretty depressing in places. Lots of eugenics-y stuff went on, so just be prepared for that.
  • You're probably going to have to spend money to learn. Free classes are rare although depending on your job you may be able to convince your employer to cover the costs. Expect to spend £400+ for level one, and the costs increase from there.
  • Signature offers five levels of qualification in BSL, up to level 6 (level 5 does not exist, for some reason) - how far you want to go is up to you and why you wish to learn. Level 1 is a good introduction and fairly relaxed. Level 2 is a step up, and requires more study outside of the classes. Level 3 is generally what you want to aim for if you want to speak conversationally and support worker jobs etc will usually ask for level 3. If you want to be an interpreter, you will need to get to level 6, which is a degree level qualification.
  • Most Cities and some towns will have regular BSL cafes or events where you can practice BSL with other learners and signers. From level 2 onwards attending these or similar events is highly recommended, as you will get used to you classmates' and teacher's signing and this will be the best way to hone you skills. Unfortunately most of these seem to be organised via Facebook, which somehow still exists.
  • It's good to keep in mind that BSL grammar is different from English grammar, and it is a separate language from English, though is informed by it. Not every word has an exact sign equivalent and vice versa. British Sign Language is also a completely different language to American Sign Language, although you likely know that already.
In closing, BSL is a great language, and if anyone reading the thread has an opportunity to learn you should take it whether you know any deaf people or not. There are so many occasions where signing is useful (in loud pubs/clubs, across distances, behind glass etc.) and hearing loss can happen to anyone, so if everyone signed those deafened later in life would end up less isolated. If it was up to me, level 1 classes would be freely available to everyone and it's pretty sad that we're only now getting a BSL GCSE, in TYOL 2024.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I remember my mate's then-fiancée was learning BSL at uni. I think her teacher was partially deaf and losing what hearing he had left.

At the time I thought it was neat but was too busy being broke brained to even consider doing the same.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

I think they were the one who kept doing posts about how English people weren't human in a way that went past "lol yeah gently caress the english" to "is that an Austrian accent?"

No I think that's Ash Crimson who I don't think is threadbanned because they had a little breakdown when someone pointed out they were being weird.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

No I think that's Ash Crimson who I don't think is threadbanned because they had a little breakdown when someone pointed out they were being weird.

I think they both did it?

man I need to check on the thread lore (I do not need to do this) because now it's got me curious (but not that curious)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i don't even like that song that much or even the singles off Emotion! she just has a lot of really good fuckin songs!

180 is the number of degrees i turn when taylor swift starts playing

Maybe this is more to your tastes

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Tesseraction posted:

many such cases tbh

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Tesseraction posted:

No, I think vit p is the one who often descended into calling posters in here 'woke scolds' and talked about cucking a lot.

Idk, that was a few years ago and I believe in redemption, perhaps they should be allowed back if they promise to be good!

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

yeah! this rips. cheers!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

crispix posted:

Enjoying the new harsh regime here. Probes a’flying

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crispix posted:

Casually scroll through his rap sheet, it's mostly 'we told you not to post' and then you scroll far enough you find out why.

The question in my post was genuine by the way, I want to know what the gently caress is wrong with someone that threadbanned posting as though nothing's up.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Perfect Element posted:

No, I think vit p is the one who often descended into calling posters in here 'woke scolds' and talked about cucking a lot.

Idk, that was a few years ago and I believe in redemption, perhaps they should be allowed back if they promise to be good!

yeah fai--

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Casually scroll through his rap sheet, it's mostly 'we told you not to post' and then you scroll far enough you find out why.

it can't be that ba-

:ohno:

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

he was a massive oval office and he was rightfully threadbanned.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
you can't Constanza a threadban :/

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
One of their more recent posts was about how we need to cozy up to the fash so yeah, no thank you

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The Perfect Element posted:

What's with the right-wing obsession with cuckolding anyway?

Is it like the projection of their inner desires/insecurities or what?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The question in my post was genuine by the way, I want to know what the gently caress is wrong with someone that threadbanned posting as though nothing's up.

I’m gonna say this thread has got a lot better and seen more posting since Number Nobhead got booted and crispy has the Banhammer

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Apraxin posted:

MP discovers the concept of 'crime'

I'm sure that Jake Berry, close friend of Boris Johnson, is shocked that people were openly doing cocaine at an event full of Tory toffs.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I'm sure that Jake Berry, close friend of Boris Johnson, is shocked that people were openly doing cocaine at an event full of Tory toffs.

lol no. Those kind of horse racing events are basically a football derby with the cunts dressed up in suits for the day and their girlfriends along. They are awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I’ve done Cheltenham, Epsom and Aintree and the crowd are already schnozzed up and arseholed before the gates open, and then it only gets worse.