Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Noxville posted:

By all accounts he was poo poo as Bradford West’s MP, ran pretty much the same campaign as this one then never bothered to actually do any work as an MP.

They get to change their minds in 3-6 months anyway, may as well make a protest vote. Maybe it will shake labor up and ha ha ha I can't finish that sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Leftist stats delivers.

Tories dangerously close to losing out to Plaid and Greens lol

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1764593034195354000?t=ci2JPfxuUaImOOQnZs6JCQ&s=19

So, lets say have a happy day and the Tories are completely destroyed, leaving the lib Dems as a opposition party. (Lets ignore these polls factor shy tory don't knows and the inevitable shift back towards them).

What happens in the next election - the Lib dems gain seats? Labour splits off an actual left party of 100 or so MP's that become the official (managed opposition)?, Galloway becomes PM?

I know none of this will come about, but I would love to see what the hell happens if one of the two big parties shatters, it would be an interesting few years as the dust settles.
(This also ignores what living in the Starmerverse would be like.)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

keep punching joe posted:

Why does anyone want to ban puppy snuggling? Weird freaks.

It's quite often non-consensual. Just ask my two kittens.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

"Ah, good, she hasn't - the Maid did. Good Good."

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

sebzilla posted:

Lol Jeremy oval office has hosed Labour's plans by abolishing non-dom status and spending the money on tax cuts instead of the NHS.

Reeves is going to have to find a new money tree

I've had a couple of people say this is why Labor have no policies. Why say something when the Tories will just steal it.
It's generous, but there is probably a grain of truth there. the non-dom was the only thing Labor haven't back tracked on, and woops, there it goes.

It's also unbelievably petty.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Noxville posted:

Then surely it'd be really helpful to us all if they proposed a of of good policies and let the tories steal them

Reveilled posted:

The thing is if the Tories steal it and it's a good policy, that's good. It's only bad in a context where being in power is more important than having good policies implemented. Which I'd say is an accurate assessment of the Labor party leadership's views.

I'm going to go devils advocate on this - While this would normally be true, we're 3-9 months out from a general election, so it 100% is the oppositions job to get elected by having popular policies, then once in power implement them properly and add more to them. and your opponent who is in power stealing/subverting them is a bad thing. if we were a few months after an election, then you would be 100% right.

And let's be clear, this and taxing private schools are the two good policies labor have. the Tories just stole one of them for a tax break, so if Starmer want to find money for the NHS, he will have to raise taxes - something he has repeatedly said he's against.

I should also make it clear, I'd rather not have Starmer's lot in power, but it's the ever repeating argument of whether or not to take the lesser evil. And I don't want to start that one again. This is just from a objective view - The oppositions job is to defeat the government, and you can't do that if everything you do is immediately countered or copied by the ones in power.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

Keith pulling the old Trump trick of pretending blank sheets of paper are weighty documents

To be fair, it is an accurate representation of both their ideas and how much money the Torys are going to leave them.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68526972

It's okay everyone, she's alive

Sureeee.

I don't think there is a conspiracy, but man does that look like an ai generated image randomly generating a head....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Jedit posted:

I was going to say it's been a year since the Rwanda Bill got a second reading in the Commons, but apparently it was 12th December?

That said: if Sunak does stretch out this government absolutely as long as possible, he will be able to force it through before closing Parliament as the last possible date for that is 17th December this year. It would literally be the last thing he did, and I can see him doing it because he knows Starmer won't reverse it.

Counterpoint - vote for me or this won't get through! will no one think of the small votes boats!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

grobbo posted:

Releasing a handpicked photo of the back of her head in a stationary car remains just the funniest decision you could possibly make from a crisis comms perspective.

"Yes, this should calm things down."

In the end the only way to solve this will be proof of life video with her holding today copy of the daily mail.
Ha Ha, nope, it's going to be "its a body double" for the next 40 years of her life.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Mebh posted:

Mine just has 7 cats...

Maybe they're running a meth lab?

Yeah, we just had to install this due to two kittens destroying the net curtains.

It's not that obvious from outside.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Isn't Germany currently only one bad election away from having a Neo-Nazi leading party?

Like every country in Europe, yes. (us included)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I can't believe ofwat has done this

Yes, They should stick to looking after the power companies!

(I know that's Ofgem, but ofwatt sounds so much better)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

The Graun is also saying the spectre of nationalisation is hovering over Thames Water.

I've often said, we don't need to pay to nationalise any of these companies, we just hold them to account and make them do their job until they go bankrupt one by one, then renatioalise them.
Bonus points for heavy fines, so they pay US for the privilege.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/dannydanon/status/1775591401067012360

I wonder if she's over there picking up tips? Or maybe even looking for a post-Parliamentary job?

Man, that's a Sullen Suella.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

sinky posted:

"No Suella, you can't press the drone-strike button"

In normal country news

What I'm seeing is no real damage to the UK if we roll it up and privatise! winner!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

TACD posted:

of course her handbag is actually the red bag from Ideal

Actually, It's the budget bag haunting her for the rest of her days.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Two world wars? At once? So we're already on World War IV?

Wait, does that mean we're using sticks and stones now? My garden just became a muntions store!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Dead Goon posted:

You don't hear much about rent boys these days.

Everyone's complaining the price of rent is to high. Most people have been priced out of the market....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

fuctifino posted:

Lee Anderson has a copy of that entire spreadsheet. Richard Tice no doubt has it too now.

God, Lee Anderson leaking a scandle a day during the GE would be the most use that man has been in his life.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

suck my woke dick posted:

that's certainly one of the takes of all time

suck my woke dick posted:

clearly, to turn Britain into a nation of bootlickers capitalists we need 14 years of marxism-jezzaism

Without reading, I'm assuming the thought process is in fact that they have done such a right wing group of asshats that they have driven people to the left while making the country into a mess.

That has to be it, right?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

domhal posted:

Let's have a whip round and buy the telegraph. Based on its quality columns we should have the means.

I often wonder how hard it would be to take over the lib Dems, a couple of hundred new members could swing things.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Communist Bear posted:

First flights to take off in 10-12 years. That's 3 months which is September. Fitting with a general election maybe?

Wow, Time really does fly....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

fuctifino posted:

It looks like the Lords have caved in and the Rwanda bill is going to be passed :(

e: Yup :(

While it's a terrible law, this is exactly what the process is supposed ot do - stop an unelected house overruling an elected one. Shame they couldn't hold off until the next election.
On the other hand, this may move the election up.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

How many of the 50,000 "illegal immigrants" a year do they plan on packing into these planes? Or did some Tory just set up their own airline?

A 737 can carry 161 passengers, call it 150 prisoners after you add some guards. Thats 333 planes - pretty much one a day.

I know they hope that this is supposed to be a stick to dissuade people, but it's all performative madness.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Mebh posted:

The solution as it turns out was to steal my tattoo artist's whippet, who runs at approximately 500 degrees and demands cuddles. I didn't need covers. Yay.

Doggos are awesome.

Did... Did they practice in the dog?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

In blackpool south the tories went from it being their seat to nearly being 3rd place behind reform -

quote:

The big development happened in Blackpool South where Labour’s Chris Webb won the parliamentary by-election from the Conservatives with 10,825 votes
The Tories narrowly scraped second place taking 3,218 votes and Reform UK finished third with 3,101 votes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Jel Shaker posted:

bah it’s lazy analysis where they just spread the vote change across the country and assume every ward is a perfectly spherical cow, its not taking into account the weird peculiarities of uk elections

It's also a media tactic to try and make the election seem closer than it most likely will be. A sure thing sells no papers.