Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

selec posted:

i remember, vaguely, a saga about a dude who was absolutely convinced these things were advanced roman technology for producing the perfect sling stone or something weird like that

I've heard they were for sling stones, making gloves, or looking through for surveying and the proponents of those theories will violently defend them despite everyone having absolutely no idea what the real use was.

at this point I think the romans just made them to gently caress with the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i played some diablo 3 at one point and had some fun. but d4 seems boring. d3>d4

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Farg posted:

i played some diablo 3 at one point and had some fun. but d4 seems boring. d3>d4

yep.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Best part of D4 is Lorath and his voice actor plays Cid in FF16 as well.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

what does this mean...

Gods. Did they not teach you Media Literacy in school?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its unfathomable to think anything is more boring than d3. that character i made i remember exactly whree i quit bcos i did one of the long never ending random rift things that pop up during bounties now and i was just assaulted over and over by the same pieces of gear with absolutely no difference between them, getting 5 upgrades a second that were +1 or 2 more to each stat that didnt matter because the loving rune system is complete dogshit and everything feels like trash and has no meaning, and i killed the end thing and opened the chest and got severely frigging epic sounding drops filling up the screen and i just looked at it all and just felt an incredible overhwleming sense of ennui and alt f4d the game lol

feels like trying to teach someone why eating only sugar isnt good, and why the salad that seems more boring is actually better. its not even a very good salad. but its better than the absolutely 0 substance syrup ur drinking

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Stux posted:

its unfathomable to think anything is more boring than d3. that character i made i remember exactly whree i quit bcos i did one of the long never ending random rift things that pop up during bounties now and i was just assaulted over and over by the same pieces of gear with absolutely no difference between them, getting 5 upgrades a second that were +1 or 2 more to each stat that didnt matter because the loving rune system is complete dogshit and everything feels like trash and has no meaning, and i killed the end thing and opened the chest and got severely frigging epic sounding drops filling up the screen and i just looked at it all and just felt an incredible overhwleming sense of ennui and alt f4d the game lol

feels like trying to teach someone why eating only sugar isnt good, and why the salad that seems more boring is actually better. its not even a very good salad. but its better than the absolutely 0 substance syrup ur drinking

No one cares bitch Diablo III is 400 million percent better than any version of D4 since there is no loving Battle Pass in a single player game. Lmfao

Get cooked

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Imagine missing Loot due to not paying blizzard 15 dollars a month in a game you play by yourself while listening to podcasts.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the battlepass is dumb like in every game but its entirely dogshit cosmetics you wouldnt even pick up if they were free and nothing else. d3 seasonal journey is free but is significantly more aids for being designed exactly like a battlepass and handing out your Blizzard Approved Build And Gear lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

"the rewards are bad which makes it good" <---- lmfao

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
diablo 3's biggest flaw is that its ugly and doesnt look like diablo its fun to log on and kill a bunch of poo poo with big numbers and loot things then log off

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
killing something by doing 4 quadrillion damage is badass and no other game does this

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the rewards are nothing. in d3 you must play what big boy bobby has chosen for you this season. oh, and also you must do the most gay poo poo in the game every single season to unlock it of course. absolutely never allowed to play that game without being told what to do, it might be too scary

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Stux posted:

the rewards are nothing. in d3 you must play what big boy bobby has chosen for you this season. oh, and also you must do the most gay poo poo in the game every single season to unlock it of course. absolutely never allowed to play that game without being told what to do, it might be too scary

i don't give a poo poo (points at you and does five trillion damage)

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Stux posted:

the rewards are nothing.

Oh my God. The rewards in a 12 year old game are Nothing. What the fuuuuck

Actual answer: don't play Seasons (still don't know what these are). Just make a character and kill a bunch of poo poo lol. You can even do it offline

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oh thank god. this is only the 30th season in a decade old game. people might not know where to go lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol key wee

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Stux posted:

oh thank god. this is only the 30th season in a decade old game. people might not know where to go lol

You may as well have just showed me your collection of roblox avatars

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

but you're all wrong its 8

no one :hai:d this so I will: :hai:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Diablo III is Dynasty Warriors, which may explain our disagreement here. I really don't give a gently caress about Season Placements etc, whatever the gently caress that even means, I just want to log in & kill a shitload of dudes with insane whirling axes and magic spells. If you're not down with that then so be it, but I bet you I'm having a better time

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I just want to log in & kill a shitload of dudes with insane whirling axes and magic spells.

This is what every diablolike should be imo

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

killing something by doing 4 quadrillion damage is badass and no other game does this

Someone hasn't played CrossCode and experienced exponential growth

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its not season placements its just reset, so everyone makes a new character from scratch and maybe some new items are added. d3 is for ppl who arent insane about arpgs and thats fine, but most ppl who played the rear end off of d2 and play all the other stuff arent playing single player lol like legit 80% of my d2 playtime was lan/bnet. even d3 i logged the most hours playing that w my brothers when it came out, but all the stupid poo poo they added made it suck rear end for that and d2 still does it better anyway, and the other non-diablo games still have the same kind of mp.

you prob have a way better time than me with d3 for sure, but the other games that still do stuff the old way are fun as hell for me so it evens out. just sucks rear end when d1 and d2 were one type of game i loved, and then the follow ups arent, is all.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

key wee herman slaying a boss: did i do that

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lobster shirt posted:

key wee herman slaying a boss: did i do that

(getting mad at the inaccuracies but trying not to show it) lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Stux posted:

its not season placements its just reset, so everyone makes a new character from scratch and maybe some new items are added. d3 is for ppl who arent insane about arpgs and thats fine, but most ppl who played the rear end off of d2 and play all the other stuff arent playing single player lol like legit 80% of my d2 playtime was lan/bnet. even d3 i logged the most hours playing that w my brothers when it came out, but all the stupid poo poo they added made it suck rear end for that and d2 still does it better anyway, and the other non-diablo games still have the same kind of mp.

you prob have a way better time than me with d3 for sure, but the other games that still do stuff the old way are fun as hell for me so it evens out. just sucks rear end when d1 and d2 were one type of game i loved, and then the follow ups arent, is all.

Yeah I get it tbh, I never really played these games growing up so I kinda have to think of it as a Yuri's Revenge to Red Alert 2 style comparison

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i dont why my brain amde that connection i know the difference between urkel and pee wee herman... its late. long day.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lmao

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fQ5Zu8Dlus&t=73s

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Yeah I get it tbh, I never really played these games growing up so I kinda have to think of it as a Yuri's Revenge to Red Alert 2 style comparison

i was going to say ow1 to ow2 but i never even bothered trying 2 and presumably its an incredibly insulting comparison lmao. and that time they legit just got rid of the original as well

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

selec posted:

i remember, vaguely, a saga about a dude who was absolutely convinced these things were advanced roman technology for producing the perfect sling stone or something weird like that

Speaking of Roman history stuff, the "Hieroglyphs are bullshit!!" guy came into the Roman history thread a couple weeks back to tackle another great mystery of our age: the Gregorian calendar year designations.

School of How posted:

I have a general history question. Its not really roman history, but since this is the only history thread I can find, I'll post it here.

Does anyone know what the oldest surviving date written is?By that I mean a AD/CE date written on a document or artifact that is believed to be accurate. I have tried to google for this, but nothing comes up. It doesn't seem to be a "category" that historians recognize.

I nominate this drawing by Albrecht Durer: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Self-portrait_at_13_by_Albrecht_D%C3%BCrer.jpg It has the date 1484 written on it, and it is believed to be from 1484. I have personally never seen one older than this, but I am wondering if anyone here knows of any older one...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

16-bit Butt-Head posted: