Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

That… is a pay cut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1766967450250133892?s=46&t=qfoJ94TmUQZIW48zWgrrKw

its not hunt but ill take it for now

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i know it was never realistic for miami to keep most of their guys and there's some crazy money being thrown around on new deals, but goddamn these are some pretty underwhelming signings

hopefully taking a year off from the draft has given grier some inspiration

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

but apparently he can play guard or center, so he can be an inferior replacement to both Hunt and Williams

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/BackPageGuyNYDN/status/1767718440243204306

Is this bullshit that doesn't have anything to do with winning? It kinda looks like it but you can never be sure........

i don't think it's even remotely possible (or necessary like people were discussing earlier), but rodgers retiring for a "political career" in year 2 would definitely eclipse the past year of jets/rodgers content

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1767721425421373871

lmao there is absolutely no way someone turned down 2yrs for $11m guaranteed/$15m total for a 1yr $3m deal with escalators

uche is 25, even if he wants a prove it contract the 2yr offer easily suffices

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Bellmaker posted:

Every team in this drat division except maybe the Dolphins should have been in on that? Just a fourth?! :argh:

giving up a 4th to have keenan allen at slot receiver would definitely have been worth it for miami but they absolutely cannot afford it from a salary cap perspective

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i'm hoping the fins go OL heavy in the draft (futile as that may be), but through FA so far my uninformed take is: jets OL seems improved, pats about the same, bills kinda worse, and miami significantly worse

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

man i hope they got him another one. things gotta be a brick 10 hours later

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

DMV is similarly a wasteland for that big three. there's only one decent bagel spot left near me and their rent is spiking, i'm not looking forward to the future

Diva Cupcake posted:

Can I interest you in roast beef with mayo and bbq sauce on it?

what the gently caress

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i'd heard of kelly's as a place but i never knew about this depravity

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Professor Funk posted:

If you're in DC proper, the best bagels I've ever eaten are actually from a place in Dupont Circle called Bagels Etc. I used to go there like every morning early before work back when I lived in DC.

bit too far south in VA to make it a regular part of the grocery run, but i'm around dupont a lot-- thanks, i'll check them out!

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

fsif posted:

Vontae Davis retiring mid-game was a Jets tier laugh. And the Bills have suffered in being losers in completely unbelievable fashions these past several years that no one else can hold a candle to (Hail Murray, 13 seconds, JJ catch, Wide Right II, probably three or four more I forgot).

The Dolphins drafting the Ted Ginn family is in that category as well. Most of the noteworthy bad things I associate with the Dolphins are a bit darker, though—Richie Incognito, letting Tua play on a short week with a concussion, Pat White being demolished, etc.

The Patriots obviously mostly just spent the past two decades winning Super Bowls but the post-Brady years I guess have been Jets-esque. Hiring Matt Patricia as OC and the Mac Jones saga and such.

yeah, the whole 2013-2017 stretch for miami wasn't truly dire football (went 38-42 and 6-10 was their worst record) but it certainly didn't feel like it. i'd throw cocaine coach and the initial circus around interim HC dan campbell in as well. this division just loves messy poo poo

e: missed this entire page lol

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

TheBizzness posted:

He's like best buds with Andrew Tate. Very cool guy.

It's pretty awesome that the Jets have become the Alt-Right's team. I really dig it.

while i hate to defend the jets in any manner, outside of fireman ed and the objective fact that all NFL fanbases suck on aggregate i don't think you can really say that about the fans

if anything i'd say the stories are funnier because they're happening in new york, woody johnson and his trump poo poo would barely register as noteworthy in TX or wherever

stuker fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 27, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1773069030661783613

calais campbell, come on up to the stage

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Amy Pole Her posted:

https://x.com/PFF_Dolphins/status/1769048739119870057?s=20

Each team was graded on their "best" and "worst" FA move. Miamis best was Fuller, which got an A+ grade. Miami didn't have a worst.

lmao that their scale for fit/need goes from C to A+++

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Which one of you insane sickos put tom brady in my avi and kept the bernie pic plus the red text? lol

lmfao i scrolled past it a couple times and something felt off

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i'm just tired of the howie/the eagles sleepwalking into great deals

i have this awful vision of the dolphins hiring sirianni when he leaves PHI, and i really don't want that to happen

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

e: somehow read ross as johnson. i actually get the impression ross has been moving to get out of everything post-brady lunch, but that could be wishful thinking

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

TheBizzness posted:

The Bills are still gonna win the Divison :(

yeah i see everyone posting this like it's a gravestone: https://x.com/AdamSchefter/status/1775541328757108767?s=20

and clearly no one has actually looked at the contracts those guys wound up signing (future OPOY gabe davis aside)

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean you don’t win games by dumping bad contracts

just saying, if the bills really wanted to keep jordan poyer from an in-division rival it wouldn't have been that hard to beat 1yr/$2m

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Amy Pole Her posted:

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do for a 2025 pick in the 50s

it's the vikings' pick isn't it? i actually like the upside

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

He’s not going to make it to #10 obviously and if they trade up I’d prefer it to be for a WR.

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1775933042764165454?s=46

mostly agree, but after considering alt->TEN a given for most of the offseason it does seem like there's a pretty reasonable scenario where TEN trades down past 10

if the JJ hype is real and not draft bs, it's pretty likely one of WR3/QB4 is going be available at 7 leading to offers for TEN. ATL/CHI are definitely not going to be interested interested trading up a spot for QB4. i don't know enough about the OL situations in ATL/CHI to say that they would certainly pass on alt, but it doesn't seem impossible for him to reach 10

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

pasaluki posted:

Interesting that the Texans voided the last 3 years of Diggs contract already. The Texans are getting a one year rental for Diggs at 3.5m. I think this is evidence that the Texans are viewing a player on the decline. It's a shrewd maneuver. Caserio appears to be no fool.

seem to be some conflicting numbers right now, but i'm pretty sure the texans are on the hook for his $22m this year no matter what

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

all it’s describing is the order any player in that position comes off the board

no one is saying maye or daniels is the 2nd or 3rd best QB in the class— it’s just shorthand saying that the pats selection will be between the 3rd QB drafted or whatever

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

well that is unfortunately going to be the decision the pats have to make, barring a very surprising move by CHI/WAS

stuker fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Apr 23, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Nosre posted:

But the more important part of my post is that all three are quality prospects. An unfortunate choice (to me anyway) would be if there were just two legit guys and so they had to consider overdrafting Penix or Nix at #3

Kurgarra Queen posted:

I mean, Josh Allen was the third QB off the board. Patrick Mahomes was the second. Lamar Jackson was 5th. NFL teams are dumb, routinely pick players who suck poo poo (lotta recent history of this in our division!) and you shouldn’t be certain that *checks notes* the Chicago Bears and Washington ”Football” Commanders are going to pick the best/only QBs.

…if you’re going to point out there’s no reason to believe the Patriots will get it right, well…:shrug:

Docjowles posted:

Maybe not what everyone means but there have absolutely been posts itt calling their pick “the third best QB”. Yeah they get a smaller pool to pick from but as noted nobody actually knows who is good. The Texans are pretty happy to have gotten QB2 last year.

i think i got too hung up on "QB3", i agree with all of this-- QB draft order is often way off from actual talent once they play in the NFL. none of us even know if daniels or maye will be the QB available at 3, let alone how good either will be

that said, the pool of available players does matter. it's not like every team is following the same big board, we have no idea if the pats think there is a wide gulf between two of the QBs we are considering top-tier prospects. maybe they hate williams and know they'll have one of their guys at 3, who knows

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Relentlessboredomm posted:

trade down and then back up to take Alt while still walking away with an extra first and probably some 2nd or 3rd round change

with who? NYG is the only team that might want a QB in Alt's expected range, and as awful as danny dimes is they hardly have their back against the wall

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

even ignoring the reliance on a second trade that may not be there, the chargers could easily draft Alt themselves

pats would have to be getting an insane haul to trade back with MIN, considering their own needs and the talent dropoff at those positions by 11

stuker fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 24, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

He didn't even produce in college and the position group already has 2 guys we dumped 1st rounders on in the last few years. OL is absolutely dire and should have been the pick, or BPA was at CB which is also a question mark.

yeah put me in this camp

chop seems like a great pick for other teams at 21, but grier’s refusal to prioritize OL is getting infuriating. this FO has shown no ability to find starting OL talent in later rounds (hell they aren’t great at the first)

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

TheBizzness posted:

This is what always happens when we pick in the 20s.

Steelers always go Oline and usually have one of the better olines. We always pick some weird project DE.

same as it ever was

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Relentlessboredomm posted:

i do think chop is the most talented pure pass rusher in the draft, he's not a bad choice it's just wild to me to keep ignoring interior o-line when it's derailed your offense two years running

bingo. it's not that grier can't identify talent at an average rate to NFL GMs overall. he just seems to establish miami's big board (and FA priorities) in a vacuum where objective positional value trumps anything else, particularly how much his team needs new/different players at that position. (e: realized i'm just describing BPA)

sometimes this has worked, but one of his couple wins with that strat got traded to PIT on his rookie contract. same team who drafted Fautanu which was also cool, but at this point i don't trust that MIA would have taken him if he was there. i know grier is a better GM than others in the league and it's only round 1, but this trajectory seems like "last year, but worse in the areas you'd expect reinforcement"

at least we didn't take worthy

stuker fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 26, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

yeah i feel bad for nabers being on the giants far more than i am worried about his success with the team

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

gracious me, i cannot wait to find out which pass rusher grier decides is expendable once the waddle extension comes around: the project we used our 2021 first rounder to draft, or the vet we traded our 2023 first rounder(+) away for

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

also wonderful positioning for the tua extension negotiations, important that miami reminds him how much we value him

e: ugh another awful snipe, have some lousaka polite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwbdqkoXADY

stuker fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 26, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Amy Pole Her posted:

Dammit Miami what happened to trade ups

i am absolutely fine with missing the CB run lol

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

lol it looks like a solid draft, but i wouldn't look at the two offseasons right now and say "the jets finally built a roster focusing around aaron rodgers"

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

aaaand miami's 7th is another WR

find someone who believes in you the way chris grier believes in liam eichenberg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

mcmagic posted:

odunze was going 9, if they traded down to 10 with the jets, they still would've been able to make their lovely pick.

i mean sure, if the falcons had made their insane pick in a specific (and admittedly slightly smarter) way then yeah the jets would have benefited. if the falcons had drafted just about anyone expected, the jets would have been in the same situation if not worse with ATL trading away odunze to someone other than NYJ

e: damnit missed the last page. agree the falcons gave up free value but i'd say that's hardly the biggest concern with the pick

stuker fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 30, 2024