Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GreenNight posted:

As long as the first episode ends with someone saying "well I wonder what the fallout of this will be".

"This led to a fallout between them, but this will cause a fallout too"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

counterfeitsaint posted:

Wait, this takes place, canonically, after New Vegas? I assumed it would be an alternate version like they did with Halo.

I'm pretty sure they said they were doing that

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tankbuster posted:

why do they hate the supreme storytelling of NV so?

Because New Vegas got a shameful 84 on Metacritic

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dongicus posted:

to the guy who saw it early, does it still look like a car insurance commercial

What's the retail price right now on a corvega

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm not watching til later, is it looking like it follows off the games after all? That's kinda weird

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rabid Snake posted:

Yeah but there's no payoff in the TV series. There was a build up since Fallout 1. For them to throw it away so they could just have another generic "Post Apocalypse" setting is so generic and dumb. It's been 200+ years how the gently caress did society not advance since fallout 1 especially with old tech knowledge around.

I wouldn't be bothered if this wasn't touted as "Canon". Feels like we're going to get another "vault dweller" main character in Fallout 5 somehow reacting to a generic wasteland again

Guess you could say that Society is like War

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rabid Snake posted:

I’m glad you don’t work in television but you post in cspam like the rest of us

Edit: it’s like technology information dies with one nation instead of spreading I just can’t with your dumb posts

Oh no what is this tech from another faction! Ignore it people are dumb in fallout. They have no engineers!

They only have theoretical degrees

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shutting up about NCR for a second, I'm really loving how all the vault dwellers are dipshits and how everyone who gets the voice modulator still sounds like an incredible idiot. The whole thing's just entertaining to watch.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LifeLynx posted:

I'm just micro-dosing some copium to make the timeline make sense in my head, that's all. I know in my heart that Todd Howard retconned New Vegas out of spite

He never forgave them for getting an 84

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lamanda posted:

Remember pip-boys? Remember cram? Remember Power armor? Remember rad-roaches? Remember raiders? Remember Dogmeat? Remember town-names? Remember feral ghouls? Remember fonts? Remember products?

No, tell me about them

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In the 23rd century, war was still waged over the resources that could be acquired. Only this time, the spoils of war were also its weapons: Alimony, and Child Support.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao at Vault 4

"Oops."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Finished binging it and you know, Moldaver's kind of a huge rear end in a top hat for keeping Lucy's mom around in that condition that long. Like goddamn let her rest.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bluemillion posted:

This is the best Fallout experience since New Vegas.

Fallout Shelter is finally dethroned

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thinking about it it's a bit weird how they just leave you to connect the dots on Moldaver and her leaving the tri-vault with Lucy's mom. I think it's the only thing they should've fleshed out more, she seems like she had some cut scenes around her.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The cruel Godd Howard only hints at a season of New Vegas in the show so he can force us to watch it being destroyed by a giant mudcrab.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If anything, Fallout 3 was the first game to do that by exploring how the BoS has changed and considers the "original" tenants of their faith Outcasts. Fallout 2 doesn't really touch on it that much.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arc Hammer posted:

Ep8:
Someone has been mapping out the Vaults from that one scene in ep8.
https://twitter.com/Tunnelsnakefool/status/1778988255314346144?t=ivsOXTsxDzvy_THj3baJow&s=19

Props to Brandon Manitoba for having the one and only vault in Canada.

Speaking of Ep.8 I really enjoyed how the shot of the US overlaid with the vault locations with the shape and framing of the lighting in the room made the whole thing look like a massive mushroom cloud. Nice cinematography there.

roomtone posted:

the actor who plays maximus does a really good job. he's very funny and interesting to watch, his reactions to things are often not what you'd expect and i like how him and lucy complement each other by being completely ignorant of different things.

Him and Thaddeus being total morons with the power armor was great. Maximus' actor does a great job in this; he gets the best laughs in the show too, and the show alternating between which of him and Lucy is oblivious to what works really well (like the Fiend scene). Max getting everything he wanted and hating every second of it by the end is also a fun way to take where the Brotherhood is going, with the head scribe/elder wanting him as an exemplar.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 13, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cojawfee posted:

I emailed Todd and he sent me the script for season 2. This is how episode one opens:

The camera pans over New Vegas. You hear a muffled *thunk* and then a few seconds later a mushroom cloud erupts over New Vegas. The camera cuts back to Hank putting down a fat man. Cut back to a view of New Vegas. The mushroom cloud clears away and past the wreckage of New Vegas, the capitol wasteland can be seen. "Ah, there we go. That piece of poo poo town is out of my way and I can see the path to a good location, constructed by geniuses" says Hank. "Now that I have nuked New Vegas, anything that ever happened there or in the surrounding area never existed."

lol

Little surprised there wasn't a Fat Man in the show tbh. It's become pretty iconic for the series now imo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rabid Snake posted:

Im sick of replying to you and hell WW3 is prob happening

Thats the whole point of new vegas fans wanting to see the NCR fall. NCR is not good people they are neolibs who are like old America. New Vegas fans wanted to see them fail in geopolitics

No I'm ok with this actually, thanks though

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RoastBeef posted:

If you have 3 and NV (and are playing on pc) it's worth installing Tale of Two Wastelands for better performance and some backported quality of life stuff

Strongly recommend ToTW both because 3 as much as I loved it just doesn't hold up on its own anymore and because it has a fuckton of patches and fixes for both games and is a very smooth installation and play experience. I went through it last year and want to again now lol

I couldn't finish 4 again but had fun going through Automaton for the first time at least

e: There's also a mod I didn't know about that adjusts a ton of dialogue in 3 to account for the player character having visited NV specifically for TotW, so if you start in 3 you're not just a dipshit if you visit and go back lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 14, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CobiWann posted:

Try the mod Sim Settlements 2. It adds so much to settlement building (city plans / new plots / the ability to automate growth and plot placement so you don't have to) and quests to make you feel like you're rebuilding the Commonwealth (A police department and independent judiciary, opening Mass General as an actual hospital, establishing a trading company), along with making the Gunners a real faction with goals and motivations.

I've never messed with that and get so bogged down with the settlements that maybe it's time I did lol, didn't know it did anything beyond just vaguely making settlements better/automated

The show really has me wanting to replay everything even though I just did

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DarkLich posted:

Now that more folks are finishing this, I'm curious -

Would the show have benefited from being a weekly release, instead of the usual streaming format?

I don't think it matters but getting over a cold I'm glad it dropped at once

I can only imagine how much more whitehot the nerd rage about the NCR would have been though

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I feel like Todd Howard doesn't understand how fans of television or video games work. With a series as big and old as Fallout, it's not like he has a television show where people will go "Woah, this game is canon to [television property]? I got to check that out!".

This did happen actually, for all the games on Steam. All the player counts are up

quote:

So, how does ending the world protect revenue and profit? I can see doing it for control, but blowing the world up intentionally rather than just playing hot and loose selling fear to sell arms until things get too hot is puzzling. Maybe I misunderstood the subtext? Like, if it's a criticism of capitalism that's fine but causing a literal nuclear holocaust for "profit" is dumb and ham-fisted in a way that would bother me more if it wasn't a fun, campy show with a pretty well-designed sinister cabal who meets inside a great movie homage.

They didn't end the world to make money. They ended the world to reduce competition to themselves, then decide which of them gets to "win". The goal is to have a single group remaining that all of humanity is within. It's a bullshit plan for assholes.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 14, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grand Fromage posted:

This was my favorite obscure? joke in the show.

I was wondering if that was on purpose tbh, but it must be

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Thanks. That makes sense. Doesn't explain why the Mayor of Portland is in a vault so far away from Oregon, but the rest checks out.

My wife refuses to call him anything but that lmao. She legit refuses to learn what his actual name is. He's just the Mayor. Fred Armisen showing up made it extra funny

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tankbuster posted:

blame modders for inserting that poo poo into the games.

The STALKER weapons work so well though

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arc Hammer posted:

They made it as far as Rockabilly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ximxe4XtU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DaveWoo posted:

I was fine with most of that stuff, but the bit in the last episode with Cooper being able to take them out in a single gunshot due to a "design flaw" did strike me as a bit silly.

That's how I did it in my luck runs. It critically bypassed the armor!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

kingcom posted:

No its literally just a joke about fallout 1 and nothing else, at best a tool to show the audience that the meritocracy system they talk about are incompetent and not what has been running the show. Seemed pretty obvious to me that the whole system is rigged such that a vote doesn't even get counted in the first place.

That guy's going to show back up at the end of season 2 with an rear end in a top hat with a smg and a ranger in a gas mask, extremely upset about what bullshit the vault's been up to.

Katja's never survived more than one fight so she'll stay dead.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 16, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Majkol posted:

A depiction of a faux 50s/60s without racial discrimination/segregation but with the Cold war conflict intact was also a choice I guess.

And where were all the mad men?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They should have put the map music in, that makes it better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMkWkNuxFAA

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Majkol posted:

1 and 2 were barren af too. I don't recall any locations that looked so much like a local dog park that was hosting a small renfaire.

Didn't find the cultists or the Monty Python guy huh

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah lol, replaying it FO2 is basically half pop-culture jokes half FO1 sequel, but it does have a good amount of environment variety for where you are. The neat thing someone pointed out I never knew is that you can see the coastline in FO1 if you go far enough - there's just nothing there to bother doing it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I've read through the thread and most of my questions about what happened exactly have been resolved, but one thing I am still a little unclear on : In Vault 4, those pregnant women held in cryostatis (?) were being held only in cryostatis to protect them from having to give birth to fish monsters that would eat them as a result of the original scientist's experiments, right? The new Vault 4 people are like, looking for a cure or a procedure or something to save them? That's what I assume, but I was wondering if I missed something that confirmed that.

Yeah, they're trying to take care of them and figure out how to sort things out. The scientist dude who got acided's pretty much just a doctor. The Vault 4 descendants along with the NCR refugees are aware that the Vaults mostly are just hosed up experiments for Vault-tec to dick around with, but Lucy isn't, which is why she said her Vault didn't have one; she didn't know the score yet.

Max probably shouldn't have eaten the caviar.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grand Fromage posted:

It's good. Only issue is the patch for widescreen and the world map timing stuff seems to cause random framerate issues, sometimes I load into a town and the game runs at like, 4 FPS until it gets over that. Or doesn't and you gotta go to a new area. Very annoying, but infrequent enough it's not a huge problem.

I hit that on my last playthrough, reloading the game seems to fix it most of the time. The encounters tied to framerate suck way more lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Megazver posted:

NCR couldn't keep winning for "setting still needs some conflict" reasons, Legion was set to self-implode with Caesar's death, the Courier is a blank slate that would be hard to introduce as a character, so I vote for House winning, but Hoover Dam doesn't provide any energy anymore for some reason, so the Strip isn't glowing and the robot army is mostly offline.

The Boomers did the funniest thing they could

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BrotherJayne posted:

He refills the canteen from a dirty source, doesn't he?

As in, what was in there to begin with was dirty water

Yeah, the implication was that he's a son of a bitch, but not THAT much of a son of a bitch. If he didn't have to sell Lucy out to get his medicine he wouldn't, but he's still self-serving at the end of the day.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bright Bart posted:

What's bothering me about the finale is the elderly feral Ghoul. She's hinted as being Lucy's mother right? Or is that just a Red Herring or what they mean is her mother ended up like that Ghoul?

Because I don't see why they'd have been creuly kept around for so long up to that point. And also why Hank doesn't seem to care either way.

She's her mother. That's why it zoomed in on the necklace fused to her skin - she remembers it. Presumably Moldaver kept her like that because she couldn't bear to mercy kill her.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bright Bart posted:

What makes you think that?

He has a Woody Harrelson thing going on and AI think people might be reading into that that he's a sunna bitch with a heart of gold when really he's just a sunna bitch.

Harold apologists doing overtime to excuse a man who did the things we see him do.

The pre-fallout Harold might have been a good man, however.

Oh I don't think he has a heart of gold or anything, just that he wouldn't bother if he didn't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arc Hammer posted:

If you're in the rich areas, sure. Same as Boston, lots of idealized upscale nameighborhoods surrounded by immense poverty. Part of the reason there's so much power armor around is because the army and national guard were expecting open rebellion at some point.

The Desert Ranger armor in New Vegas is effectively riot gear as well. You even find uparmored variants of it explicitly stating it as such. Combat armor could be bought for personal use.