Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Jack B Nimble posted:

Will the bow require shooter style aiming or does it support lock on style combat? Or both? I'm not personally a fan of shooting with a controller, but I definitely want to play a third person action game with one. This is sort of the problem I have with GTA and CP2077, where I want keyboard and mouse on foot and a game pad in a vehicle.

I didn’t play a ton of the first game but I do remember the hit boxes being huge so aiming with a controller was not an issue at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Nemo2342 posted:

Not as out there as some people's character's, but I'm pretty happy with this (for now).

face is hot, needs more muscles though

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

TheMostFrench posted:

I'm very excited be an Archer because of all of the jump kicking and shooting people in the face looks like hilarious good fun. It seems like exactly the thing that most ranged RPG classes lack is a bit of close ranged manoeuvrability.

Me too, I always lean towards archers in games but I can’t think of any good single player games with good archery except for DD so I’m excited.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

K8.0 posted:

Am I the only person who thinks everyone who plans to focus on a single class is mentally ill? I always felt like playing a bunch of different classes was the second best part of Dragon's Dogma after pawns.

I always like sticking with one character/weapon in video games, often when I replay them I even do the same build. I just like knowing what I’m doing sort of thing instead of trying to figure out a whole new class/weapon every time.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

DangerDongs posted:

Do you counterbalance this with a polyamorist relationship you dull dull person. I bet you do you sick freak.
DD has the nice benefit of being able to quasi-try multiple vocations at once if you count the vicarious nature of pawns.

No, one person is enough for me :banjo:
Human male dex build or archer, do you really need anything else

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Mr. Baps posted:

In most games people who pick the basic Man Who Fights class deserve to be mocked for being the blandest most boring gamers on earth, but Dragon's Dogma makes even the basic fighter a whole lot of fun so it's fine.

If you never once branch out into anything else, though, then you might be the human equivalent of a bowl of plain oatmeal.

I also like oatmeal with butter and nothing else, maybe chicken if I need protein

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Vermain posted:

i played control at 800x600 on an rx 480 with the framerate dipping into the sub-30s on the regular. nothing in dradog 2 can hurt me

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Vermain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPrO2ZHQ3mM

IGN performance review for those curious. consoles look hidebound to 30-ish FPS, whereas PC's able to push up to 50-60 and has both DLSS and FSR options

I just honestly don't see how the visuals are significantly better than Elden Ring or the Harry Potter game, or Horizon Zero Dawn.
I'd even say this game doesn't look much better than even the witcher 3.

I'm still excited for it but just sucks how we're essentially being forced into upgrading to a new console/new hardware again when no noticeable visual improvements have been made.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Vermain posted:

considering that the issue appears to be primarily CPU related, my guess would be that it's solely due to them cramming a ton of dynamism into the world with NPCs/physics/etc. that eats up a tremendous amount of cycles. might just be something the RE engine is bad at handling, but that's a question well outside my pay grade

acksplode posted:

It's a CPU bound game, it's not running poorly because of unoptimized visuals. It's that the simulation is very detailed and/or badly optimized

https://www.ign.com/articles/capcom-is-aware-of-dragons-dogma-2-frame-rate-issues-on-pc-looking-into-fixes

but what does it add to the game exactly? smarter AI and better destruction physics?

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

NeurosisHead posted:

idk exactly what it means but it sounds pretty cool and that's probably the point

hehe just buy better hardware hehe

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

isk posted:

Based on what we know so far, the assorted monster assaults and emergent behavior are contributing to it. Seems like the dev team wanted to make the game world feel a bit unpredictable

that sounds cool actually, I guess we'll see

Nuebot posted:

Just kill everything. New game design philosophy unlock: the more monsters and NPCs you kill, the more you're rewarded with framerate and gameplay improvements. It's only when you finally beat the final boss that you unlock a consistent 60FPS, to lord it over the empty land.

the little trick capcom doesn't want you to know..

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

acksplode posted:

I'm guessing lots of NPCs and enemies with dynamic and reactive behavior, and quests and the general world continuing to proceed in the background while you play. Games that want to deliver "emergent" gameplay can't get away with scripting things, so they have to run simulations that can interact with each other and the player, which isn't cheap. DD2 sounds especially ambitious here, at least for a AAA action RPG.

well if they can deliver at least half of that I'd be okay with the lovely performance
just feels like they still could've gone lower on the visuals to compensate at least a little bit
I'd be okayish with a 30 fps lock on console.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Volte posted:

CPU and GPU generally (ideally) run in parallel, so if the CPU load is making the game run at 30fps, then you might as well make the GPU do enough work for 30fps as well because it's "free". You can't really compensate for one with the other.

Wouldn't lowering the resolution and a few visual effect still give you a few extra frames? Would be enough for a 30 fps lock.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Dexo posted:

It gives you a few frames like literally maybe 2-4 as it lightens the load on the CPU some tiny amount, but it's not gonna be noticable.

acksplode posted:

Not if it doesn't decrease the CPU's workload, which usually isn't sensitive to resolution or visual effects. Dialing those down won't make NPC behavior easier to calculate. Coarse analogy, imagine an assembly line where the CPU is calculating scenes and passing them to the GPU to draw as frames. Making the GPU's job easier won't increase the assembly line's frame throughput if the CPU is already working as hard as it can.

I see, thanks for explaining. I probably shouldn't assume I know better than actual video game developers.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Nuebot posted:

If it looked any "worse" it'd basically be video game hitler.

:lol:

But yes that’s fair

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Wait, the game is out? Why did I think it was out on the 22?
Ugh, I should not have opened this thread and then twitch before bed lol.

So is everyone somewhat happy with the performance on the PS5?

Malaria posted:

like 75% of my friends list on Playstation is made up of goons from Dragons Dogma on PS3 and PS4.

Are we gonna do a list again with PSN ID/Whatever Xbox has so we can add each other for pawns? I think we had like a google doc previously.

That would be cool.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

King of Solomon posted:

It WAS released on the 22nd. They just decided the release date would be midnight GMT, so people in other time zones get to play it before midnight.

Ohh, yeah. I suppose I wouldn't be able to play on console until midnight then anyway.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Neeksy posted:

I don't care if it doesn't make sense, my magick archer is gonna be a tall, buff dude.

Does being tall and skinny make sense for a MA? I remember making a tall character in the first game but he just looked very weird compared to everyone else so I went down to 180 or so (it was 190 before). What’s the stat disadvantage of being tall in this game again?

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

FauxLeather posted:

I waited 12 years for this sequel, I'd be damned if I let "5 healing items - $1.34"-grade dlc impact that.

Kind of regretting starting as an Archer because it was always my goal to switch into a Magick Archer as soon as I can. Games really making you work for it too, in comparison to the first. I feel like I'm watching my scrappy pawns have infinitely more fun than me.

Why do you regret it? Is archer not fun? I want to be a MA so logically I thought I’d start as an archer too.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Broken Cog posted:

Archer is super strong. Get the explosive arrow skill, take down boss monsters in 4 well-aimed shots

Good. So excited to start playing today. Couldn’t pull the trigger yesterday and I wanted to go to bed early but now I’ve got the whole weekend for this :peanut:

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Vargs posted:

Protip: do your damnedest to remember where you picked up your very first Seeker's Token. Mine was picked up by a pawn gently caress knows where, so I'm screwed.

why do you need to remember that?

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

:mildpanic:

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Nancy posted:

Spoiler for details without giving away the whole bit: there's a side quest later that asks you to return to the spot you picked up your first Seeker's Token & return under a time limit, if you don't you can't progress to part 2 of the quest.

Mine was easy cause it was the one in the little drop down between the border outpost and Melve that you run past in the beginning of the game.

Where can I find advanced vocations beyond the first two? I thought the elf Arborist would lead to Magic Archer but no dice.

thanks for the spoiler tag
will try to remember where I picked up mine lol

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

I'm having a lot of fun, only about 10 hours in. A bit worried that I will soon get tired of killing the same enemies over and over again but the world looks really good. Hopefully there will be more areas that just the forest. And my other hope is that my archer or ma will eventually get a dodge of some kind...

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Phlegmish posted:

I read that you can allow your own pawn to guide you during quests, how do I enable this?

From my understanding, they only do that if they did the quest with someone else in another world. Then all you need to do is set that quest as your primary and they will guide you.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Vintersorg posted:

Seems everyone here picked melee? No posts about casters so I can get hot tips? :lol:

I'm an archer, soon to be an MA

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

How far in the game is this? I've been bouncing between archer and mage and I kinda want to do both which I think I saw in some previews but I'm otherwise playing this blind.

I assume as soon as you max out your vacation? I'm almost there so will update later.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ah, I figured it was going to be later in the game but it sounds like it'll be a long while before I get into it. I'll probably pivot to focusing on archer and maybe some thief in the meantime.

That's just be guessing though. I never really played the first game, so don't take my word for it. Just seems logical.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

If anyone’s on the ps5 and want to share pawns, my psn is u-Kefa

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Some high level goons added me on the ps5 today. Are there any cons to summoning their pawns when there's more than a 10 level difference between us? Will I still get the same amount of exp?
If anyone else wants to be friends on ps, my username is u-Kefa btw

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

jizzy sillage posted:

I finished the game (and secret ending), used Magick Archer for most of it. Magick Archer is so loving cracked, the master technique oneshots almost everything in the game (except some specific large enemies with phased health bars or Dullahans since they just peace out sometimes).

Now I'm playing again from a fresh save as Thief, as it's clearly the second most OP class.

Does it take long to reach the guy who unlocks MA? Thinking of just looking it up to switch to MA earlier.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Nemo2342 posted:

If you try to follow the story progression it will take you quite a while before you get sent in that direction, since it's one of the last areas of the game.

That being said, I just went there on my own after looking it up and it's certainly doable at lower levels. I went in the high 20s but you could certainly go in lower if you're better at the game/more willing to run from fights.

got it, will have to do that then
thanks

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Mordiceius posted:

idk - I don't ever get angry at exploring. For me, the reward for exploring is the act of exploration. Getting a chest at the end is bonus. I don't care what's actually in the chest and 90% of the time I don't actually even pay attention what I'm grabbing from chests. I just like exploring around and opening the chests.

What’s the motivation behind exploring then? I’d get it if the caves all looked different but they’re all the same pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Magmarashi posted:

Seeing the world, filling out the map, finding set pieces and things that aren't a big treasure box

That’s my problem with open world games I guess. Just filling out the map doesn’t do it for me. Or it does initially but stops being fun after 10-15 hours. But that’s on me I get that.