Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ok so in the 41st Millennium mankind can navigate the Warp because of the Astronomicon, the light of the Emperor on Terra, serves as a fixed point in the otherwise inchoate madness of the Immaterium. But what I don’t get is, how did they navigate the Wsrp during the Great Crusade when the Emperor was moving around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Charles Bukowski posted:

Maybe he kept the beacon going from all the way across the galaxy? He is the most powerful single entity in the universe when he goes full super saiyan.

Ok I checked the wiki and it says that’s how it worked.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So for alot of the war. big E is on the throne to keep the etenrity gate shut because magnus blundered in a blew up his project with the webway. so they started feeding him psychers before that.

Yeah but the Heresy was only 7 years. The preceding Great Crusade went for two centuries, with the Emperor physically off Terra for most of it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Orks can't of FTL travel just through the Waaaugh. They need a ship of some kind. Typically they use Space Hulks because that's easy and there's usually some unimaginable cosmic horror in there they can fight along the way.

Tyranids have a bioship called a Narwhal that creates some kind of compressed space effect thing, it flies at the front of the hivefleet and the other bioships follow in it's wake

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

verbal enema posted:

Orkz are the coolest concept in 40k by such a huge margin it isn't even funny

I’m a Kroot fan. They’re part of the Tau empire but their whole deal is that they absorb the genetic information of what they eat. Most, if not all, of the life on their home world is just different kinds of Kroot whose ancestors ate birds or dogs or plants or whatever so much they turned into bird or dog or plant or whatever style Kroot. They achieved space travel because Orks attacked their world and the Kroot figured out that some Orks were born knowing how to build machines, so they sought out and ate those Orks until some Kroot knew how to build machines too.

They fight alongside the Tau but their main goal is to find cool aliens to eat and then go home and get eaten so the whole species becomes stronger.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

This is what Kroot cavalry looks like. Literally riding their strong cousins into battle

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hollismason posted:

Wait did they move the 40k story forward some?

Yeah. The 13th Black Crusade succeeded. Abaddon flew a Blackstone Fortress into Cadia, destroying the planet and the pylons on it that kept the Eye of Terror contained. Which caused the Eye of Terror to spill out into a massive rift that divided the galaxy in half.

Luckily, at this point a combination of blasphemous Xenos magic and the workings of the mad Magos Belisarius Cawl were able to revive Roboute Guilliman, who took his position once again as Regent of Terra and worked to keep the Imperium from falling apart. He revealed that before he was laid low by Fulgrim's poisoned blade, he had bade Cawl to improve on the creation of Space Marines in secret. With nobody to tell him to stop, Cawl had spent the past 8,000 years creating a stronger Space Marine, and just making more and more of them and keeping them hidden in stasis. These Primaris Space Marines became the tip of the spear in Guilliman's new Indomitus Crusade to beat back the forces of Chaos and make contact with the galaxy beyond the rift, the Imperium Nihilus.

Also, the Silent King returned and more and more Necrons are waking up, Ghazghull has a shiny new body, the Fourth Tyrannic War has begun, the nascent Chaos god of creativity and machines, Vasthorr, has reassembled the shattered remnants of Caliban and turned them into a mobile fortress-planet called Wyrmwood, the Lion El'Jonson has returned and is on a quest to forgive his sons, and some members of both the Dark Eldar and regular Eldar have united in the worship of Ynnead, the Eldar god of the dead they believe will come into being when all the Eldar die.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Guess what they call the Fallen redeemed by El'Jonson

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

keep going, I'll say when you get it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Improbable Lobster posted:

My favourite warhammer character is Ferrus Manus, primarch of the Iron Hands legion. Ferrus Manus, of course, means Iron Hand and the space marines of the legion/chapter replace their hands with iron bionics and follow his teachings, the Iron Creed. They're lead by the Iron Council, which is made up of 40 Iron Fathers and follow the are currently waging the Iron Crusade to save the Iron Guard of Mordia from chaos.

Like a week before he died Ferrus Manus decided that when he had a moment he really needed to tell his sons to stop cutting off their hands.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Demon Of The Fall posted:

so there's 2 primarchs that are back and ready to gently caress, is Vulkan still alive? last I heard he was captured and being tortured or something? so there's 3 maybe. who else could come back? Russ? that would be sick as hell, flying out of the warp with some screeching guitars playing

yeah Vulkan got the poo poo tortured out of him by Konrad Kurze, but he got out. As far as I know, he was last seen 2,000 years after the Heresy fighting a giant Ork called The Beast until the Imperial Navy dropped a torpedo on both of them from orbit, apparently vaporizing them both.

Russ will return during the Wolftime, and the Space Wolves think they're in the Wolftime now.

Jaghatai Khan rode off into the Webway and is possibly captured by Eldar of some variety

Corvus Korax chased the Traitors into the Warp and may now be a giant crow Daemon

Dorn was last seen leading a boarding action on a Traitor ship, and all that was recovered later was his hands

The Blood Angels are occasionally visited by something called the Sanguinor, a being of great powers who appears in times of crisis, who is probably Sanguinius's soul or something along those line.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hollismason posted:

I went to their website to look at all the new models and like 60% of them are like "Not available".

Yeah their sales liked doubled during Covid and they have not been able to keep up with demand at all

Hollismason posted:

Oh drat GW ended Forgeworld. What the gently caress. I remember the Horus Heresy books and models looking amazing.

They merged, it's all one website now. And Horus Heresy is still going strong. They're releasing a drat Blackshields character next week

https://www.warhammer.com/en-WW/shop/blackshields-endryd-haar-the-riven-hound-2024?queryID=b92e66034888fbbef17fe1e083ebb904

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Vampire Panties posted:

The Horus Heresy models are so much better than regular 40k but their pricing is insane even by Gee-Dub standards

That was true back in the old days when it was all resin and you were paying like 50 bucks for five guys. But now most of the main guys you'd want in any Marines army is in plastic, and the prices are in some cases better than 40k models.

https://www.warhammer.com/en-WW/shop/Space-Marines-Primaris-Intercessors-2020?queryID=f939a3263a9c53585c2bd1cb689f3ecb

https://www.warhammer.com/en-WW/shop/horus-heresy-legion-astartes-mk3-tactical-squad-2023?queryID=9b75b6598f87f8a7f9fe070b8716f946

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Vampire Panties posted:

although tbh I've bought plastic space barbies twice and got as far as assembling them before I gave up. I'm not falling for those tricks again

You know you can go to a Warhammer store and get a free painting tutorial, right?

Disco Pope posted:

I liked the ones with the pointy houndskull helmets. Also when they basically just had the dudes from Aliens and Judge Dredds as guys you could have.

the Judge Dredd guys are back

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Charles Bukowski posted:

Are those Arbites? I've never heard of an arbites army in 40k, that's interesting. Maybe they're for one of the other 40k rp tabletop things? They're the federal police, so they usually come up vs genestealer or chaos cults in citywide fighting, organizing the planetary defense forces.

They were made for Kill Team, the skirmish game, but have rules for running them basically as allies in any Imperial 40k army. But a rumor from rumor mongers with decent track records says there’s going to be an “Agents of the Imperium” Codex coming soon that lets you build Inquisitor or Rogue Trader armies, with Arbites being a part of that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’m a Tau, look at me, I love diplomacy, here I go, being empathetic toward other life.

*RETCON*

We are all mind controlled by evil leaders.

They walked that back. But it’s still canon that they fought against mind control worms but made peace and now some Ethereals are frequently seen with mind control worm advisors

Barudak posted:

The worst tau retcon is they no longer invented their own weapons so they are a faction without any non mechanical identity

What? Tau lore never shuts up about the latest innovation from Earth Caste scientists.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I had no idea 40K had all the classic fantasy races like halflings and giants and various beast people/furries, and most of 'em are sub-humans.

Abhumans, not subhumans.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

lol they just announced that all of the Stormcast models from the launch of Age of Sigmar are getting replaced with new kits that look less embarrassing

If you want these fuckin guys, you better act quick

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 4, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Xun posted:

So what do the new guys look like

Old on the left, new in the center and right

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

they look the same.

They're taller and narrower and some of them are girls now.

The new trailer's pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAFvQzSwIEM

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that looks better. Idk. Sigmar always seemed way too, idk High fantasy for my taste. like old world was never low fantasy but i always prefered holy roman empire but also litteral hell exists and ratmen below and etc. like the gods are real and help but its also less upfront. idk. sigmar misses kinda the grimdarkness silly i like and more just silly. to each their own.

They've brought back that vibe a bit with the recent Cities of Sigmar range and the upcoming Chaos Darkoath range

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There’s a lot of grim darkness in AoS, it’s just not immediately obvious unless you get into the lore. The thing is, the Mortal Realms are inimical to human life. It rains razors in the Realm of Metal. In the Realm of Beasts, the land itself will sometimes just eat a village. In the Realm of Shadow you can walk into a shadow and never be seen again. It’s a very fun setting but it’s not as obviously entertaining as 40k and there’s no really good on ramp

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Flowers for QAnon posted:

If I go to a warhammer thing will they let me play with my Avengers funkos? I have a full set

Are they based? A lot of stuff in the game is determined by measuring from the edge of the base, so they need to be on a base. That base also needs to be the same size as the base for the official model you’re running your Funko as.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Alucard posted:

From the edge of the base on the top or bottom? I feel like there's a good extra inch of measuring depending on the method.

Edge of the base.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of the big problems with Sigmar is in completely destroying the old setting and making it clear it was a distant memory at best destroyed pretty much all the stuff that actually made it interesting. The consistent setting where people actually live, work, and play, the amusement of the geography where the Holy Roman Empire is right not to Dark Ages Arthurian France where the attitude towards guns takes a total flip, hints of distant mysterious poo poo that sometimes eventually gets introduced into the game, and messy edges right at home where you have an Empire that's actually pretty good at getting along with people basically acting as a buffer between elves and dwarves who have ridiculous ancestral grudges.

Hard to understate how much Sigmar initially was a trash fire, in presentation, rules and fluff. The attempts at worldbuilding and setting the stage mostly sounding like an overstimulated 8 year old (and not in the good way) going on about A MILLION BILLION SKELETONS and near every faction having ridiculously one-note personalities even by Warhammer standards. And this was all presented proudly, as if it was clearly a massive improvement over the old poo poo no one wanted... right as Total Warhammer was making bank.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

This. Fantasy had its issues but sigmar just kinda felt like imagination cartoon land like something modern blizzard would poo poo out.

AoS was bad when it came out but they fixed it and it's good now. It has a defined setting with people and stuff now. Its got this guy now

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

NoiseAnnoys posted:

what kind of metal shatters when a nerd throws it, lol?

metal that has been crudely glued together by a child

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

bob dobbs is dead posted:

it was low sales, not ip problems

Yeah the Fantasy model range was half their product range but allegedly was about 10% of their sales.

And they've just recently brought back Fantasy as The Old World, in all it's generic glory. But with a lower level of support, basically treating it as a niche game for super nerds.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so do humans just live there now or how does it work? also what on ramp would you recomend

Humans have lived there for a long time, they just haven't had much model representation until recently. Basically, there was a time when all the non-Chaos god worked together and they recreated their mortal followers to live in the Mortal Realms and everything was basically OK. This was the Age of Myth. Then Chaos came raring back, the Age of Chaos started, and the mortal followers of the other gods either died, switched to Chaos, hid where they could, or fled to the Realm of Heaven, Azyr, the last stronghold of Order. Then Sigmar invented the Stormcast Eternals to be his ultimate warriors to lead a reconguista of the Mortal Realms. In their wake came crusades of mortals from Azyr who set up new cities in the Realms. This is the titular Age of Sigmar.

The problem is there isn't a really good on ramp. I'd say the best AoS novel I've read is Gloomspite. It's a fun little fantasy horror story and does a great job selling the Bad Moon as this absolute nightmare thing you don't ever want to see rise over your home. The other AoS novels I've read fall on the spectrum from bad to OK.

Honestly the best AoS thing I've read was the Sons of Behemat Battletome. Sons of Behemat being the giants, and Battletome being what AoS calls Codexes. Like in normal Codexes it gives you an overview of the guys and a history of notable military campaigns, but because it's giants it reads like a collection of fables. Notable military campaigns for the Sons of Behemat are typically stuff like, a giant slept in the way of an army and they woke him up and they had a big fight, or two giants got into an argument about who could throw further and in demonstrating their throwing abilities destroyed a human city one throwable building at a time.

There's no really great onramp, no AoS equivalent of Eisenhorn or Gaunt's Ghosts. But if you're interested definitely give Gloomspite a chance. And maybe Court of the Blind King if you are into elves who suck.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

In any of the 40k lore, any of the books or whatever, does anyone ever cuddle another character? Maybe a tender smooch?

There are romances in 40k fiction, I think the subplot in the Night Lords trilogy about the navigator and the serf is the biggest example. As for physical intimacy like that, that’s rarer. There’s a lesbian couple in the Thousand Son related Horus Heresy novels and I think a scene starts with them in bed together and there might be a couple other references to them touching each other affectionately.

Beyond that nothing springs to mind.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Froghammer posted:

The setting is shockingly sexless beyond a handful of hookups.

I had an ex that asked me to explain 40k lore and when I got to the part where The Emperor decided to clone himself twenty times I mentioned that it's a weird impulse. She quipped, "No, it's a way to tell a story about a family without involving a single woman" and I immediately needed to sit down.

You didn’t mention Amar Astarte?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Do any dudes gently caress each other in Warhammer 40,000?

As far as I can recall there’s one lesbian couple in 30k, and multiple non binary characters in both 40k and AoS, but that’s the limit of queer representation I’ve seen in Warhammer overall.

There was the scene where several Emperor’s Children erotically tortured Fulgrim to try to get the Daemon out of him but at that point Fulgrim had mastered the Daemon and fully fallen to Slaanesh so he allowed them to torture him because he was into it. Does that do anything for you?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

theres a sideline implied gay romance in the lion: son of the forest. generally, the dark angels are the designated gay loyalists, as befits their reference

Ooh, I’ve got that one on my to-read pile

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Smugworth posted:

where the gently caress did the combat heels go.

More like games wokeshop

The original Repentia models were nude except for strips of devotional text pierced to their bodies. They went into battle literally clad in nothing but their faith. Games Wokeshop gave the new models shorts and tank tops.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Literally A Person posted:

Give me a miniatures tt game I can win by negotiating a long lasting peace with huge exposed knockers.

Kingdom Death

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

They should be the same as the men, why aren't they wearing armor?

this is what the man look like

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Don't forget Catachans are also the cast of Predator. (Minus the Predator itself)

Yeah, Eldar are the Predator

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

QuarkJets posted:

yeah old world is not one of the games that they make for super cool kids, which i have helpfully listed here:

There are more ways to dive humanity than just nerds and cool people. The Old World is for big nerds who like big complex games using old weird models. 40k and AoS are aimed at kids and general nerds.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

QuarkJets posted:

they're all aimed at big nerds actually

They invented Stormcast because inexperienced young painters have trouble with skin and lots of little models, so they needed big armored elite guys to be an intro army like they have with Space Marines in 40k.

Compare that to TOW, where the good guy starter faction was fuckin Brettonia. They're clearly aiming for different demographics.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You are seriously kidding yourself with that marketing demographic phrenology poo poo. There's no real difference, never has been. If they just wanted Sigmarines to sell to the kiddies they could have just added them to Warhammer Fantasy, bringing it back as The Old World is sheepishly admitting that burning the setting to the ground and pissing on the ashes was a completely unforced error on their part that pissed off people who had stuck with it buying their poo poo for years.

AoS has been consistently selling better than Fantasy ever did. It's certainly theoretically possible that in an alternate timeline where The End Times never happened, the new management at GW was able to turn Fantasy around, make it not impossible for new players, piggyback off the success of the Total War games, and turn Fantasy into an AoS level hit.

But now they get to have AoS and Fantasy. They get to have their cake and eat it too.

QuarkJets posted:

The new demographic being big nerds who have trouble painting skin

No like actual children.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

thin blue whine posted:

has anyone read any of the AoS books? are any of them good? i love Old World Mythology it's so over the top and crazy but i'm not a fan of playing Warhammer Fantasy. I like AoS much better but don't know much about the setting other than what happens directly after The End Times.

Gloomspite is good. Court of the Blind King is good if you like stories about elves who suck, Realm-Lords isn't bad if you like monk-style elves.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Vernii posted:

Is there any good lore on what daily life / standard of living is for the average crewman and officers of Imperial warships?

Yes, the Forges of Mars trilogy. It also shows up a bit in other books all over the place. Basically, it depends entirely on your rank. High ranking officers get nice quarters with glassaic devotional windows and food and so on. and then it goes all the way down to, like, classic barracks style bunk bed situations with a regular allotment of vita-paste or slab or some other food-like substance from the galley.

Below that, you've got stuff like gun-slaves who are worked to death loading shells the size of a city bus into the guns, the communities of hangers-on who build shanty towns in various unused sections of the ship, mutants and castaways eking out survival in the darkest forgotten corners of the ship, and, of course, lots and lots of servitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

To be fair... posted:

In the book Fifteen Hours there’s a human teenager that is mowing a lawn. His lawn mower breaks and has to change the oil but then prays when doing it, like a person in the current year.

One of my favorite little bits of 40k lore is one novel that described a character as a "lay mechanic"