Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy
I know this is several hundred posts too late, but I wanted to come out of the closet as the person who liked the stealth and action gameplay of Alpha Protocol more than the Metal Gear series (pre-Phantom Pain and not including Revengeance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Runa posted:

Outpost Infinity Siege

I loaded up the Steam page, looked at the screenshots, watched the videos, and I still have no idea what this game is.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

M+ is better than anything other mmos can provide, esp ff14.

???

I mean, sure. I would like to go to a Hong Kong art museum rather than play an MMO.

???

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Mythic+, OP.

Gotcha, thx.

Even though videogames and cooking are my two primary hobbies, y'all leave me in the dust with the lingo sometimes.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
The only game event this year that I give a drat about just happened.

:siren::siren::siren:THE CONSOLE RELEASE OF HOUSE FLIPPER 2 JUST DROPPED:siren::siren::siren:

I don't work today, just cooked up a big pork roast, got a bag of plantain strips, all manner of beverages, and 750ml of cheap tequila.

LET'S FUCKIN GO!!!!

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Help Im Alive posted:

idk what it is with that genre but I played 50-60 hours of Slay the Spire back when it came out/enjoyed it and was all roguelike deckbuildered out for the rest of my life + my eyes glaze over when I see a screenshot of a game with cards and some guys facing each other

Same, but Demon's Souls.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

DLC Inc posted:

hilarious that Ubisoft is cannibalizing a great PoP game with another one immediately, fascinating company lol

more information

what are they doing now?

and what is PoP

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

haveblue posted:

prince of persia, and releasing a second prince of persia game five months after the previous one

Wait, so they had two teams working on Prince of Persia games at the same time?

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

homeless snail posted:

the second one is made by the dead cells team

Is this good or bad?

Does Jordan Mechner still have anything to do with his series?

Why do I feel so old?

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I forget the bbccode for quotes but homeless snail was like "jordan mechner died"

My grandparents used the term "pizza pies" to describe pizzas because that's what they were called when they became popular in the USA. They grew up without electricity and got driver's licences before they required a test to get them.

I feel old.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I would like to see Digital Eclipse do The Making of Prince of Persia

I feel like it would turn out like one of Matt McMuscles "Wha Happened" game documentaries, if you were talking about the series

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

haha

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 4.1 is probably worth a dollar?

yes

Also, if you liked Overwatch, you can see where they stole Pharah from. Down to the details of control handling. That's what got me into Overwatch

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Saint Freak posted:

It's uncanny. They're just like us.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

hey wait no he didn't you stupid slug, you worried me

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

homeless snail posted:

oh sorry I was thinking of emily willis

i was thinking of emily dickinson

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

homeless snail posted:

oh sorry I was thinking of emily willis

Emily Dickinson, ? def thinking of bruce dickinson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxnN05vOuSM
Bruce Dickinson

xoFcitcrA fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 10, 2024

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

homeless snail posted:

im simply an adult, with self control

no

also i'm still cross with you about the jordan mechner thing

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

I’ll say it, because it has to be said, I’ll gladly eat the sixer: sts has an ugly art style.

you don't think the whale is cute?

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Should I just play Fallout 4? I never actually did because of all the negative reactions at the time.

Go for it. It's probably the only Bethesda game I *might* recommend to someone. Just expect the usual Bethesda jank, weak Bethesda writing, Bethesda mediocrity, etc.
If that sort of thing doesn't bother you, it's a good time.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Or is there another game that's not Fallout but would scratch the Fallout-type itch?

Depends what you like about the series.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Kenshi, Mad Max, and No Man's Sky might all fit the bill depending on how you view the series / what you like about them.

But the real answer is Wasteland 2 & 3. (Fallout and Wasteland have always semi-secretly been the same series, but Brian Fargo never owned both IPs at the same time.)

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

cumpantry posted:

still havent played Hades 1 :kiddo:

I'm not really into roguelites and I'm appallingly bad at action games. On paper, there's nothing about the game I should've liked.
I'm *really* glad I gave it a chance, it's pretty great. (See also: Snowrunner. I should hate that game on every level but I love it.)

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

That's just West Virginia

checks out

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

I said come in! posted:

Wasteland
Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout New Vegas
Wasteland 2
maybe Fallout 4?
Wasteland 3

Fixed that for ya. Wow, "insufferable fan posting" flows from my fingertips effortlessly.

I haven't watched a movie in a few years. Should I just marathon a bunch of Godzilla movies?

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

credburn posted:

The only thing Wasteland shares with Fallout is that it's post-apocalyptic and there's a lot of a silly irony.

Nah, they both come from Brian Fargo (even though the first Fallout was very much Tim Cain's baby when he worked for Brian at Interplay). When Brian was head of Interplay, he no longer held the rights to Wasteland so they just made a new Wasteland game anyway and filed the serial numbers off. Of course, for legal reasons, Fargo has always denied that but it's why Fallout 1 & 2 are chock full of nudge-nudge-wink-wink Wasteland refrences and New Vegas just straight up has a GIGANTIC FUCKOFF METAL STATUE of a Fallout character shaking hands with a Wasteland character.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Wait, what thread is this?

*checks title*

Huh.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

ymgve posted:

steam is a dating app now?

it wasn't before?

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Infinitum posted:

Yes it was 100% the sugar that was the issue, and not the fact people heated up a soft drink

Still haven't tried hot Dr. Pepper yet. I can vouch for hot Tang not being great, though.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Kinky Cookie Bunny posted:

you eat fairy bread i dont need this sass

they still make tang??!!

Yep. Tang on the rocks with a dash of lemon juice is still a lovely vitamin C supplement / chaser.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Kerrzhe posted:

did they ever let you smooch anyone in that game

Nah, there was only one romance in the game and it didn't involve the player.

You could go fishing with Blade, though.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

Do you create your own avatar like in tony hawk underground?

I haven't played THU, but yes. Deadpool, in fact, insists on calling you "Customizable Main Character".

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Midnight Suns on sale and it's a straight up blast.

Oh wow, it's on deep sale too! If any y'all were on the fence about it, it's definitely worth $15.

Great game. (It was #3 on my GOTY thread list last year)

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

Dead pool is in the game? Skip

He's DLC.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Hwurmp posted:

Saints Row 2

Not a helpful answer, but the correct answer.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
There's a lull in the chat thread, so I'm going to spout some opinions about games I played in 2024.

- The Making of Karateka - Loved the documentary (where you could play all of the beta builds and early influences for context), still hate actual Karateka.

- Slay the Princess - Wonderful and strange VN, haven't played since the big update. Looking forward to it.

- Cyberpunk 2077 w/Phantom Liberty and the 2.11 update - Preem! Has its faults, but well worth it. The amount of care and detail put into the DLC is astonishing. It could have been its own game. I liked the performances of Keanu Reeves and Idris Elba, gently caress you those are my opinions.

- Shin Megami Tensei Persona 5 Royal - You always want to play the "best" version of a game, but I wish I'd played Persona 5 instead of Persona 5 Royal. Ask if you'd like more detail.

- Robocop: Rogue City - Interesting that they decided to play it straight instead of the dark comedy that was the movie (and to some degree, the second one). If you look at all of the components of the game, it's mid as poo poo. But I had fun, and fun ain't mid.

- Final Fantasy 6 - A JPRG "classic". It's mechanically the early-1990s 16-bit JRPG I expected. I like that style. The core conceit of the game, though, is that it constantly reshuffles your party. Constantly. I hate this. I enjoyed the game, but only because I played it in an era with easily-accessible guides. If I'd played this in 1994, I would have hated it. It would have been competing with Phantasy Star 4 and Earthbound that year. And Elder Scrolls: Arena. And Marathon. And Super Metroid. And SimCity 2000. And Xcom: UFO Defense. And Earthworm Jim. And Doom 2. And TIE Fighter. And King's Field. And Master of Magic. And Tekken. And Warcraft. And Need For Speed. And Sonic 3 & Knuckles. And Wing Commander 3. And System Shock.
While I enjoyed it well enough in 2024, it's my second-least favorite Final Fantasy game.

- House Flipper 2 - Just a full improvement on the original and cozy as poo poo. NEEDS DLC, though. Waiting for it and looking forward to it.

- Balatro - gently caress. It got me pretty good.

e: italisizing "fun ain't mid"
e2: spacing to make the post more dramatic

xoFcitcrA fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 21, 2024

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

:wrong:

FF6 is good. Most FF games are good.

I've been playing FF games since the 80s and always enjoyed them for what they are. But I've never thought they were "good" more than "pretty".
JRPGs have a bad habit of being cliched and forgettable, and the FFs have only ever held above "forgettable" because of style.
IMO. (My JRPG opinions are not the most popular on the SA forums)

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Quackles posted:

well I can't let that hot take pass

You aren't given a choice whether or not you begin with overpowered stuff that trivializes the game. You have to look up which parts of your inventory / personas are DLC and ACTIVELY AVOID THEM in order to play the game with challenge. Also, after 150 hours of playing the game the last 4-6 left a sour taste in my mouth. You have one of the worst "puzzles" in videogame history not made by Owlcat, pointless multi-stage boss battles (SOME OF WHICH ARE SCRIPTED WHETHER YOU WIN OR LOSE), and an hour to hour-and-a-half of just time spent (including unskippable credits) getting between winning the game and being allowed to save.

e: good game that leaves you with a sour taste

xoFcitcrA fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 21, 2024

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

haha

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Quackles posted:

I admit I didn't open the DLC chest in your room. You can choose to not do that, thankfully.

Ah. When I played, I didn't know NOT to do that.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Zokari posted:

i genuinely don't even know what most of this is about

With Royal, you get to smooch the teacher a bit more but did you never click the un-unclickable cheat box that was labelled "stuff from your old house" or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

Who keeps voting 1 for these threads? It’s not me

probably someone who reads our posts

e: "s" I missed one. An "s", that is.

xoFcitcrA fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 21, 2024