Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I had an uncle who was an aeronautical engineer from post-war till the 80s and this is reminding me that at one point he gave me some of his collection of small poster sized (like 24x18-ish) promotional prints of a bunch of planes from the era. I hung them in my room like the huge nerd that I was and now have zero recollection of what happened to them, but I'm guessing it involved a garbage bag once girls started to come over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

I hope whoever investigates his inevitable fatal incident releases the video from his go pros.
The way these things usually go, it will be someone else's fatal accident that he manages to survive.

Do we know what Jerry did before this poo poo? Because he reeks of a person who got successful mostly by luck but who thinks it was skill and smarts and continues to press that luck in other venues.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Has anything like this happened before (the Airbus tail thing wasn't this widespread a d long, was it)? I'm very curious about next steps. The 737max has to get recertified at some point, right? But do they all get sold at a discount to Rwanda Airlines while the major carriers keep fixing the fleets that they are flying today while their 737maxes are grounded, and then buy new planes from Airbus?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Bring back the Dornier 328!
If you happen to want to fly between cincinnati and cleveland, you can take a 328 Jet on Ultimate Air Shuttle. I think they do some charter flying to ski resort towns out west too.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
It could have been shot down by a canadian crop duster pilot in an open cockpit cloth biplane left over from WWI as long as he had a flare gun?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

With the exception of *that one gate*,
Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

DCA has no business being a hub of any kind.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Rip Testes posted:

Not sure if this always happens or if this some air patrol operation surrounding the inauguration.
Haven't lived in DC for a while, but right after 9/11 the same thing was going on, with refueling happening low enough that you could watch it. Then it went away after a few months, so I would guess its cover for the inauguration to avoid a Tom Clancy scenario.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for books on early commercial air travel? I’ve got stuff about early air combat but not people flying airliners around in the ‘20s and ‘30s.
Not exactly what you're looking for, but Wind, Sand, and Stars by Antoine de Saint-Exupery (the author of the little prince) is about his time as a French Air Mail pilot in that time frame and is a great read.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh hell yes, that’s perfect. Thanks!
Since your question jarred my mind, will probably give it a re-read soon, possibly while listening to some Tinariwen to get that real north african desert feel

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
My brain ateuggled to rectify the placement of the nacelles and the sound of a piston motor begrudgingly firing up. It took far too long to realize those weren't turbines.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Isn't this guy already dead, and the only remaining mystery is exactly how? Gravity still seems most likely but adding fire to the mix is interesting.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Homemade 12 ga chain shot? Bring back 19th Century naval loads.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

FunOne posted:

Yes. Look up the logistics on the Falkland island bombings.
This is always :psyduck:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

PT6A posted:

The Ilyushin IL-18 is a plane I find beautiful for no particular reason, I just really like how it looks. I am apparently alone in this, no one else seems to feel any affection for it.
Its got a certain beauty to it.

I'm a basic bitch and that era for me is Connie or GTFO.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Arson Daily posted:

I looked it up and a 777-300 burns around 7.5 metric tons of fuel per hour, so this jerkoff burned up about 5000 gallons of jet fuel because they wouldn't wear a piece of paper across their face.
Hopefully the airline delivers a $20,000 fuel bill to this rear end in a top hat.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Salami Surgeon posted:

they closed gate 35X.
I did not know that. Rest in piss.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it has mainly international service since its insanely inconveniently located compared to DCA. domestic service is mostly on united, a dogshit airline that smart people avoid. (i hear its a lot better now but don't care to find out!)
Which is how you get AA pretending that DCA has the room to be a commuter hub and the hell that is 35X.

Adding metro access won't change how far out there IAD is, but it would at least make it less inconvenient. I believe they're still working toward that 60-year-old goal, but aren't there yet.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Curious about how the finances worked on those, because Continental got CLE to build a commuter flight terminal which has now been empty for 8 years after the United merger, but United is on the hook to continue paying it off. I'm having a hard time believing a government body in Cleveland did something right.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
And UPS (MD-11, technically)

Also, air tankers.

Edit: yeah, what hobbesmaster said.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Oops, double post.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Advent Horizon posted:

I assume when you say ‘air tankers’ you mean the KC-10 Extender but there is a fleet of civilian DC-10s (not MD-10) still in use that are known as tankers:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC-10_Air_Tanker
I actually meant as wildfire tankers, so you picked up what I put down.

Would love to experience one of those loud old bastards flying low, but also, would not want to be in the middle of a wildfire.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

If you need a laugh, here's a found and explained video of the CL-1201, that late 1960s Lockheed project on the biggest airplane you could build with modern technology. It starts off bizarre, then actually gets even more so. Like "the engineers were just having a laugh" levels of WTF.
Jesus H. The first sentence of that video really sets up the WTF level.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Zero One posted:

They had a remote parachute but it was a little late.

https://imgur.com/a/vG7Ici0
So. . . why wait so long to deploy the chute?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
That was a cool as hell read. Thanks for posting it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Not a pilot, but I'm on the approach to a GA airport and a lot of the bizjets that land there sound more like a whine compared to the roar of bigger planes.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Caveat that I'm not a pilot, so I know poo poo about poo poo, but I listened to the VASAviation recording of some of the ATC and something seems off from the official story. The guy seems to understand a lot of stuff that someone who has no idea about flying might not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MDwzNtDMlA

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Ok, I'm a victim of lovely reporting because I missed entirely the part about him being a plane nerd. That makes a ton more sense.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

Before BRAC closed Myrtle Beach AFB my father used to have A-10s do practice runs on him while he was doing bulldozer work in the woods. Said it was both interesting and unnerving.
Back when there were still A-10s stationed in near the Adirondacks in NY (Maybe from Plattsburgh before it closed, but maybe elsewhere), they used to love doing nap of the earth practice runs down the glacial lakes. We used to go up there every summer and it wouldn't be a complete trip if we didn't get buzzed by one while out in the canoe. My middle school rear end was too dumb to be unnerved. It was mostly just cool as hell to have a Cobra Rattler pass a couple hundred feet over you before pulling up to avoid the mountain at the far end of the lake.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Who's Zed?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
The flash when it hits the wires is just :discourse:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
What birds are at 38k feet?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

The avherald comments saying left engine is out and it’s Vmc roll may be on to something.
Isn't that what happened in the TransAsia Airways ATR-72 crash in Taiwan with a very similar looking video?

That was on takeoff, though.

Edit: That was the flameout of the left engine, but the fatal mistake was accidentally killing the other one while trying to deal with it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TransAsia_Airways_Flight_235?wprov=sfla1

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 16, 2023

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

superdylan posted:

Yeah its huge and dark and a little depressing, you are going to poo poo your pants when you spend a day at Evergreen museum.

Something I have wondered is how does one go about obtaining aircraft for a museum, and how do they come up with a price? Is it more on the current owner interested in finding a home to display their cool 1 of 1 historically significant planes and driving the price down? Or is it more on museums filling out their collections and competing to obtain more stuff? How do they come up with valuation for an old MiG-15 decaying behind a hangar, or that MiG-29 outside Evergreen where you think hell yeah lets get this thing in the air but then you look at all the plumbing in one wheel well and say oh here's a thought, actually gently caress this? Sure there's some museums built around centerpieces like Udvar-Hazy with the Discovery or again Evergreen with the Spruce Goose, but what about the bottom of the barrel crusty old F-14A at Tillamook, did they get a steal just because they have somewhere to store it? Can I drive the price down low enough that I can have an F-5 on a stick in my front lawn?
Former (admin side) air/auto museum staffer here with a least a tiny big of knowledge: You'll be shocked to know the answer is "it depends."

Ideally, you get the aircraft donated. Whoever was using it decides they're done using it and doesn't want it to go to the scrap yard, so they donate it to your museum.

Otherwise, you buy it. Larger museums will have some kind of fund to purchase new collection items, but I'm not sure about one-man passion projects, and will spend the money to get something key for their collection. Interestingly, it's considered ethical to sell your own collection items to put money into this fund, but not ethical to sell objects to pay for other expenses. A lot of museums look rich on paper, but that money is untouchable for anything but adding to the collection.

If you've got a curator worth their job, they've developed extensive connections in whatever their field is, and are often the first call that the nerds that are huge into that subject makes when they want to sell something. Or, you find the guy who has a farm field full of old planes that he bought surplus after The War and make an offer. Or try to get him to leave the collection to the museum.

Odds are the curator will be friendly with the auction houses that deal with their subject and has probably done a few assessments of things up for auction, so may get an early alert of what's coming up for auction.

So, can you buy an F5? Maybe. This guy owned a B-36: https://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/21-photos-of-northeast-ohios-deserted-plane-sanctuary/Slideshow/38344514/38216211

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

Which also speaks to why for some rare and high profile items like the shuttle orbiters the bidding process for museums is highly competitive, not on a purchase price basis but the standpoint of "which institution actually has the resources and longevity to take care of this thing properly?"
Great point, upkeep is way expensive. From the other side: when I left, my museum was coming up with guidelines on what vehicle/aircraft donations they would accept alone and what they would only accept if there was also a maintenance endowment with it. Because you can't just have the night janitor vacuuming off the wings of the 1900-10s cloth planes.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

Cockit view from a A400m doing a touch and go on a beach.

https://twitter.com/Jamie_Pilot/status/1624116465400938519
How'd they get Sean Connery to do the altitude warning voice?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Humphreys posted:

I wonder if the Ruskies idea was to douse the drone in fuel and have it set alight from their engine exhaust heat on close flybys
A plan fiendish in its stupidity. . . So probably?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Airlines should totally keep doing those "single pilot" studies: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna76275
The computer does all the work, it will be fine.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

PhotoKirk posted:

Transparent aluminum?
That was for space transport, not air transport.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Shits like a young adult novel. Good on those kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Electric Wrigglies posted:

yeah, when people lament that old surplus WWII planes, boats and equipment was just trashed outright rather than finding a second use, a lot of it is through ignorance of just what a difference a military opex budget (especially wartime) looks like compared to nearly any other endeavour.
Worked in an auto/aviation museum for a while and we had two WWII warbirds that had been bought surplus after the war, pretty much entirely gutted of anything military down to the avionics and the fuel tanks and rebuilt as racers. Even in 1948 their pilots were only interested in the airframe and the engine.