Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That house is incredible, and it seems like you could turn that into a :krad: bed & breakfast.

Edit: and lmao at the "1/2 bath"

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Turn it into a secured data center?

I'd bet trying to retrofit in the necessary electrical and HVAC systems would cost more than the house.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Reddit OP asks "my landlord's contractor just installed this, is it safe?"

:stare:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

brugroffil posted:

It's called House Flipper not "properly addressing home maintenance backlog" so doing things the cheapest, most half-assed way that looks good on a 10 minute walkthrough is pretty accurate.

I really like how the yard looks just as lovely before the flip as it does after.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

kid sinister please post the listing, I have to see the rest of the house.

I could almost understand most of the lovely choices here with the exception of those pendant lights. What the gently caress??

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

MRC48B posted:

Those pendant lamps are supposed to have a second hanger that suspends them center over the middle of the countertop. The extra cord gets looped in some way to keep them at the right height.

It probably hasn't been done yet because they were repainting the ceiling, of what is probably a garbage basement-level apartment.

Nah, you're supposed to trim the wire to the desired height when you install them. I can only assume what you see there is the cord length out of the factory and it was literally babbys first light fixture install. Or the flipper was just a moron. Possibly both.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Nextdoor is definitely the best place to go with this question

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Devor posted:

After 10 minutes it becomes moot because their husband is taking it down anyway

Barbara no what are you doing

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

sleepy gary posted:

What is she actually trying to figure out? I kind of doubt she literally wants to know if she found a circuit connected to an afci in her panel. I guess it could be that simple though.

She took down a half wall but wants to use the existing electrical to plug in a computer and light, and is going to move the outlet to ????

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Not sure I trust that tiny metal rod to keep me alive while climbing into the alcove toilet

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My neighbors have a huge silver maple that is approx 6 inches from my driveway. It has pushed up my driveway, front yard, my sidewalks, neighbors sidewalks, everything--to the point where trucks can't go up my driveway and most cars scrape their mufflers at a minimum getting up it. It sucks and at some point I'm going to have to have a Come To Jesus talk with them about getting rid of it bc I need to replace half my driveway, the aprop, a bunch of sidewalk, and regrade the yard, and I suspect cutting out a bunch of its roots to do so will either kill the tree or cause it to grow new roots and just ruin all the new concrete in <10yrs. It's a really nice probably close to 100yo tree and I absolutely do not want to kill it just for a stupid driveway but I'm not sure what else to do.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've got a gingko in my backyard which is awesome, because for years I planned to plant a gingko whenever I finally had my own yard. In the fall they turn yellow all at once and after a frost, drop all of their leaves in a day or two. Their shape and the leaves are really beautiful all year round.

But then it turns out it might be a hermaphrodite tree. Previous owner left me something that says it's a male, but last fall it dropped fruit. Gingko fruit is mildly poisonous AND touching it with bare hands can give you blisters similar to poison ivy. And when it starts to rot, it smells like vomit! This fall, no fruit. I've read they can spontaneously change their gender, so I have no clue what to expect next.

Previous owner made a lot of bizarre landscaping decisions and planted half a dozen weird rear end trees on this .2 acre lot, 2 of which I've already had to remove, 2 which are ok for now, and 2 of which grow inedible-because-they're-poisonous fruit.

Pics of the dumb trees I've had to remove:

Yeah let's just let this sapling grow directly on the property line and inside the fence and directly next to the garage for 20+ years instead of pulling out when it's tiny, makes sense

Chopped off the main branches of this tree and then left the massive dead trunk in the yard for a decade+

Edit: added some pics

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 16, 2020

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

It's hard to tell how high those ceilings are, but my guess is it's a lift/autostacker thing so you can get 2 cars into one space.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That house has the most photos I've ever seen in a real estate listing: 329

:aaaaa:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The listing says this house has "updated with vinyl siding" but they just took the old poo poo and painted it, holy poo poo

and not well might I add!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Selachian posted:

It's authentic. Like the multicolored shiplap interior walls slapped together apparently at random.

lmao I did not even notice until you quoted me but that door has two doorknobs, and the down-facing lights next to the door are at neck-height for the average person

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

DogoDogo posted:

I have a lot of questions about this house, namely which video game it was inspired by. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/...whLhVy899WxMUIQ

Holy poo poo my neck hurts just looking at this

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I kinda want to do the whole vintage pink tile thing when I redo my bathroom but I'll probably just wuss out and go for white tiles and pink wall paint.

Did find that there is a flickr group dedicated to saving pink bathrooms that has a great collection of photos: https://www.flickr.com/groups/savethepinkbathrooms/pool/

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

mostlygray posted:

My buddies family had a portable when I was a kid. It actually worked pretty well.

We got rid of dishwasher a few years ago and replaced it with cabinet space. It's just as easy just to do dishes yourself. Dishwashers are slow and they irritate me.

I have a tiny kitchen and I can't wait until the day that I can rip out all the old cabinets and install a dishwasher. Every minute of my life spent handwashing dishes feels like a waste and I hate it very much. I've also managed to break a few glasses recently, which would have never happened had they gone into a dishwasher, so I'm feeling even more bitter about it than usual. And it's a hugely inefficient use of water! Literally no upsides imho.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

This is my favorite bit:

That opening barely looks 6ft tall.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

~Coxy posted:

Twitter threads are the worst loving medium for things like this because half+ of the images you can't tell what the thing is due to the crop.

Agreed and this one is just someone stealing an Imgur album: https://imgur.com/gallery/aNzjhk9

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://twitter.com/zillowgonewild/status/1367620086245294081

Full listing is here: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1596-Penn-Forest-Ln-Stroudsburg-PA-18360/9810953_zpid/

Had to search out the full listing just to confirm whether the crappy jpg quality was obscuring the clear glass wall but no, there is not one there at all!!

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 9, 2021

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

They did a lovely job of cutting the ditra too, and then made absolutely no effort to seal it where the subfloor meets the walls.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sentient Data posted:

Would that even really matter? Unless the toilet had a constant leak it doesn't seem like there would be enough flow to even be lukewarm in the upper tank

Stayed at an AirBNB in the Before Times and someone had put in an obviously unpermitted ~*~master suite~*~ on the second floor of the house that included a half bath stuffed into a closet where someone had plumbed the toilet up to the hot water line. I was there in the summer so it was already pretty warm up there, but when you flushed the thing it would make the entire bathroom uncomfortably warm and humid. I guess if you wanna give your rear end a little steam bath it's fine.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Found on Reddit from someone who just bought this place and was trying to figure out how to "fix this bad design":

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

devicenull posted:

Why do you have ductwork from your HRV going into the floor?

Condensate drain?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

As with anything it's very market dependant. House with no tub in a hot market: no probably not. House with no tub in a cool market: maybe? It will turn off buyers that want one, but there also might be some who don't.

I bought a house with one bathroom and no tub and I view it as a plus, imho baths suck and I love my huge shower. But I also have no children or large pets, and am tall so I've never enjoyed them anyway.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 2, 2021

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Besides looking dumb as hell and needing to be replaced every 15-30 years, is there anything actually wrong with using asphalt shingles as siding? It's all kinds of wrong to me but seems like it might work ok???

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Thinking about putting a wall mounted toilet in my (only) bathroom because the current toilet has a like 16" rough-in and there's really no way to move it back (no I don't want a rear discharge toilet) and when you sit on it your knees are in the shower. It sucks, an in-wall toilet would save so much room and look amazing.

Also my current plan is to install it myself so I'm really hoping to not become a candidate for this thread.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

PurpleXVI posted:

I would suggest not installing it yourself unless you're quite familiar with plumbing work. Not because it's necessarily very hard to do if you know how to follow the instructions, but because if you gently caress it up you've now got a well-hidden leak that can do a lot of fun hidden damage until it makes something collapse.

Yep totally agree with you there, that is the part I'm still waffling on. It may end up being that I do the general construction part of the install and the hire out the plumbing portion. I've got 6+ months to think about it. Really dreading the whole ordeal since it's the only shitter I've got.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I always feel a bit bad for people that live in a house for a while and don't make major improvements to it until they're trying to sell.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://twitter.com/diedoktor/status/1389990535117557761?s=21
:pwn:

A couple more pics here: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/150-N-74th-St-Kansas-City-KS-66111/75734787_zpid/

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Love the master bath mirror that's 6 feet off the ground and the random large rocks in a half-assed arrangement in the backyard.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Wasabi the J posted:

I was gonna ask what animal Teflon tape is for, but I remembered it's for seals.

:mad:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://twitter.com/zillowgonewild/status/1410637275965308930

???????????????????

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Found on my lunch hour browsing of /r/HomeImprovement:

quote:

Home inspection shocker - 20’ across pit potentially a portal into a different world - help?

Husband and I found our dream home - front built in 1889 and the back is modernized. It rings all the bells and has emotionally hit us hard.

Seller disclosed a well under the house that “needed soil every ten years” - that raised my eyebrow as I’ve been around a few wells and they don’t wash out from what I know of them.

We are currently under contract on said home (ya I know I’m excited too).

The home inspector (specializes in historic homes) was thinking it was a cistern not a well and assured me he would figure it all out. Anyways. It’s a well. It’s 20’ across right now. He said he’s never seen anything like it before. About waist deep but he was unwilling to test if it was actually deeper and he was unwilling to get closer. It’s already eaten one of the piers.

I’m absolutely devastated. Has anyone dealt with anything like this before? We’re looking for structural engineers and well experts to see if it can live on. We found out the seller knew it was 20’ across but only disclosed it as a well that needed soil.

:stare::stare::stare:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Glumslinger posted:

I don't understand how it is so well preserved

1950s custom designed and decorated house being sold by the original owners!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

PageMaster posted:

I knew I remembered someone here posting this.
Saw this today on my feed from a redditor under contract for this house asking for help to get insurance for their mortgage since no one will cover the place. They also included a picture of the roof:

omg yes, thank you so much for finding this, never would have expected to get an update on this dumb house.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ashcans posted:

Guy only needs insurance on the dumb tree to close the sale, he's planning on removing it and remodeling, but can't close because no one wants anything to do with the tree at all. I imagine that he's going to have to find some company willing to give him some 3-month policy at a wild price just to close the sale.

You might ask how the current owners are dealing with it - apparently, they couldn't find an insurer willing to deal with it either, so they're simply uninsured!

From the sounds of it they had the house paid off so no mortgage or requirement for insurance, were just yoloing it up without insurance in Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

8one6 posted:

Does anyone know if there's like a good home design or architecture thread here on SA? I'd love to see some goon options on what looks nice (or solid design criticism of stuff).

I like these:

Interior Design Chat Thread: I've dropped a jar of spaghetti sauce on every surface

Interior Design Q&A: minimalist midcentury maximalism
This is one is more questions about your own home or design.