Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

My LG TV somehow has the ability to reboot my wifi router, because that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Slanderer posted:

oh my god this isn't a real problem.

It isn't a problem if you don't care about the heat island effects and air quality issues that are directly caused by urban canyons.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Your big little city isn’t going to get to get a Chrysler because you cargo‐culted some dumb rules.

The effects are related to the ratios of the street width and building height, not the total height.

Also, the setback requirements where I live predate New York's anyhow.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

This picture is making me shake and I don't know if it is from confusion, anger, fear, anxiety, or just my brain shutting down.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm amazed it it survived long enough to be photographed

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Freaquency posted:

Oh it’s in Ellicott City, how structurally sound the stairs are doesn’t matter since it’s just going to get washed away in the next “once in a century” storm that seems to happen with more regularity now.

"Luckily," it seems to be above the convergence point where the flooding happens.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

They just want to live in the abandoned railroad tower in my hometown.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

In my neighborhood, there's one the few Alcoa Care Free homes. I guess the path to carefree living was being OK with most of the house feeling like an airliner galley and not being able to replace the toilet ever.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nenonen posted:

(The answer is to not cut them, you just continue tiling the infinite plane.)

I'd have never suspected that Grey Goo would just be a floor tiling system

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Khizan posted:

I suppose you could filter it in with normal trash if you did it over a long enough period of time

I've been throwing away cutoff and scrap laminate flooring using this model for about two months now. The last of it went out today!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Washington DC has a nice public dump. It was fun to go and just throw stuff into the gigantic pile and watch the bulldozer smash it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Wingnut Ninja posted:

You know, now that phrasing makes me wonder. Obviously the only examples of Roman engineering that we still have today are the ones that were built to last. But human nature never really changes, so there must have been instances, now lost to time, where Gaius Bubbacus Tertius built a really lovely extension to his villa on the cheap. And there's no way that some of those remote border forts didn't have some sketchy poo poo rigged up by bored soldiers.
As I recall, Tacitus wrote about the time someone's janky gladiator seating fell over during the event.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Enclosed fire escape or there used to be something at the bottom.

It immediately made me think of a connected farm.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

My earliest memories are riding around on my little tricycle to see the houses that were sinking in the Tampa neighborhood we lived in. When it stopped being orange groves, they just buried the felled trees and guess how that works out when they rot.

Then we moved to Pennsylvania where it seems like a house a year falls into an old coal mine.

Yes I think all houses will eventually fall in a hole because of course they will

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

kid sinister posted:

Trailers are for suckers.

Ryobi makes reactive armor?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If I was moving back to Pittsburgh, I'd consider it as a house. Just requires some de-Liberace-ing.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

KoRMaK posted:

the rest of the house is sexy, but the carpet by the pool seemed appropriate for this thread

Which Shaft sequel was filmed here?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

peanut posted:

Never trust stairs.

My parents pulled up the carpet and put hardwood floors down upstairs. Instead of... Anything else, they put the flooring right on top of the top step, making it twice as thick.

It took me like five years to stop tripping on it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

The body is exceptionally good at being lazy and after a few steps of exactly the same height it takes a surprisingly small amount of variance to gently caress with people climbing stairs.

https://youtu.be/seieuz__B_g

You never realize how close your hand comes to things until you break a finger, get one of those metal finger splints, and then snag it on literally everything around you.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You guys are all wrong.

That's the thing from that episode of Star Trek The Next Generation where the Enterprise had a baby.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Emergence_(episode)

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

15 to 20 percent of Pittsburgh driveways look like that

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm just disappointed that the video ends before it collapsed

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Even Lego Engineers know that there's no such thing as a load bearing window

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I didn't know Picasso had a Putin phase

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

PurpleXVI posted:

Wow, that's a super hosed up experience.

Was this in the US? Isn't there a bunch of ADA stuff that can be used to mega dunk on shithead businesses like that?

Sweden. For some reason, the US and Canada are a better at the accessibility stuff than the Europe. Like half the EU doesn't have national level regulations and the EU regs are only about 10 years old.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cat Hatter posted:

I don't think anyone would argue the US has acceptable public transit, but once you've managed to get within 100 feet of where you're going there will probably at least be a curb cut for you to get a wheelchair from the road to the sidewalk and better than average odds you'll be able to get through the front door and use at least one bathroom. Could obviously be better, but somehow still better than many countries.

Eons ago when I was a humble guy working in a Barnes & Noble, one of my tasks following "move this table over there" projects was to make sure we'd maintained the ADA clearance. Yeah, could be better, but we try.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

`Nemesis posted:

the us is a land of contrasts so some places have anywhere from awful to fairly good public transit, as per usual sweeping statements are garbage

It is also sort of hilarious that the most comprehensive and robust transit system in the US, the New York City Subway, is also one of the least accessible!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

the bonus electrons

I like this one, as it has the same simple understatement and levity that power excursion does.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dessert Storm should be a large, flat bowl of ice cream covered in graham cracker crumbs, drizzled with dark chocolate. The center is hollowed out and filled with rum. It is lit table side when served.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Detheros posted:

average american poo poo session

Only because that pipe went to Taco Bell

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'd have put in, at least, three bolts.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That looks like a pretty sweet conference center

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nitrox posted:

Crappy Construction: Urinals, how do they work?

I've seen enough drunk guys demonstrate at sporting events that I definitely know how they don't work

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

peanut posted:

They have rich parents.

They also only say about a third of the story. There's one I saw that describes the wife as a "writer" with no qualification as to what that means.

She's literally won a Pulitzer.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

Don't worry, when it inevitably fails and needs maintenance, it'll just stay entombed forever and they'll just install a new one next to it. Or on top of it??

Like a smaller, newer TV using the massive, monumental console TV as a TV stand!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Jows posted:

Don't doxx my childhood!

My grandparents briefly had a small portable TV on top of a broken normal TV on top of the console TV so that grandpap could watch the Pirates games before they could get a new TV.

Of course, the TV mound was covered with a white table cloth, so no one was the wiser.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

You really can’t these days. They’re now in to vintage pricing. At least in my area, which has a ton of outdated rural farmhouse estates constantly going up for sale/auction, and you’d think there’d be a bunch of them on the market.

They started to decline in numbers about 20 years ago. Most of them were destroyed in the 1990s and the ones that were held onto by the elderly or abandoned in place started to disappear around 2000-2005. By now, I think the majority of sources you'd think would still have one laying around have been depleted and even the type of home you're describing disposed of theirs a long time ago.

I suspect the current "grandma died and we have to sell the house now" giant TV is in the 600 pound 30" "flat screen" that's somehow three feet thick category.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Dave posted:

You know your house was the poo poo in the 80s/90s if there is coax and phone lines buried all over the place.

When I redid my basement, I was pulling phone lines, coax, lines from two different security systems, intercom wiring, and an entire non functional doorbell system out of my ceiling/floor.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

`Nemesis posted:

pretty sure that outlet install is just rage bait

Something like this happened not far from me. A truck was leaking and left a trail of concrete a few inches wide and tall, with little piles at intersections. It was fairly avoidable, because cars straddled it. Then when they "fixed" it, they ground off too much road and now it is worse than the trail was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't know if this tunnel guy hit the national news or if it stayed regional

https://www.washingtonian.com/2019/09/08/paranoid-tech-bro-homemade-nuclear-bunker-shocking-death-askia-khafra-daniel-beckwitt/

It has literally everything ranging from "he rode around in the back of a van with blackout goggles for SECRECY" to a guy dealing out crypto advice while wearing a fire proof suit to a guy who called himself Dick Rocket. There's even a Peter Thiel cameo!