Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Tunicate posted:

This house has copper poisoning

https://imgur.com/gallery/RDdfNYt

I feel like somebody put a house through a really bad photo filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

GallienKruger posted:

I'm only sharing this so that you can see all the wonderful treasures, and on the condition you don't buy it before I can.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6432-Leighton-Ave-Lincoln-NE-68507/6609412_zpid/

Yeah, there are a number of older houses like this in our area, where they've clearly gone through 2-3 stages of additions plus like turning the attic into a finished space which have turned the whole thing into a weird, cramped labyrinth. I promise that place is like twice as claustrophobic as it looks in the photos.

Our realtor even took us to a place that I explicitly told her we weren't going to buy because I wanted to see it so bad. One master bedroom has a large bathing tub inexplicably set into the wall, in addition to there being an attached master bath and another bathroom down the hall.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

It seems a lot like you are trying to convince yourself this is no big deal since it's not impairing your day to day. As other posters have mentioned, you are saving a small amount of money today to pay a huge amount of money at some point in the future that cannot be predicted.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
There's also a second neutral to ground bond going on there, right?

Nevermind, i thought that right thing was a wire nut, it's just exiting the box

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 2, 2021

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
A better charge controller and fixing the wiring to the breaker could probably go a long way to fixing that solar setup. Those batteries can only be discharged to about 50% without damaging their life, so if they've been fully discharged repeatedly they might be toast even if they're new. The poster who said to test them is right.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
If they want to do it right, go lithium, preferable LiFePo4. A better technology in nearly every way, and if they're planning to be there for ten years it'll be a way better deal in the long haul.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

DELETE CASCADE posted:

also hello there knob and tube bro

That's not necessarily knob and tube. My 1930s house has that kind of conductor but isn't knob and tube.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
It's actually the opposite. The biggest hazard to old houses from insulation is holding moisture near the wood.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Motronic posted:

That's what a vapor barrier is for. This is not some kind of new problem that hasn't been solved for decades now.

A lot of old houses only have paint as their vapor barrier, so just cutting a hole in the wall and dropping a bunch of blown in insulation won't cut it.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Motronic posted:

Correct.........yet opening exterior walls (or interior, depends on a lot of factors) to properly insulate and put in a vapor barrier still pays back in a matter of a few years in most climates. This isn't a throw your hands up and go "oh well, can't do anything about it.....old houses, amirite?" situation.

Sure. I wasn't saying it was impossible, just that the major difficulty is the opposite of fire.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

Buried inside a 4 year old house in Texas...

What is this?

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I'm sure it's GFI protected.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Why would someone do that? Is that an attempt to like...skip a breaker box? It seems needlessly complicated.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Are those cottonmouths?

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

the yeti posted:

The long black ones look like black rat snakes yeah. I see a couple of notes on the googles that they’re normally known to hibernate singly but groups do occur.

There are also quite a number of olive colored snakes in there that aren’t black rat snakes though.

Looks like garter and bull snakes are both olive colored.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Those are drywall screws that they haven't pulled after ripping down the ceiling that was already there.

And I'm pretty certain it's code everywhere that power cables like that are supposed to be running parallel to the joists and stapled about halfway up , not just spaghettied across the ceiling.

I believe those are an attempt at running boards, which are the legal way to pass cables under a joist. Not sure the way they did it qualifies.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

BonerGhost posted:

I just assumed they were furring strips for the drywall.

That makes more sense.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

deoju posted:

I was scrapping and sanding to prep my basement for repainting. Turns out there's lead paint down there. I don't spend much time down there, and I don't have kids. How hosed am I? I know there are remediation things you can do, but I don't know about the costs, time, etc.

As an individual homeowner most states require very little of you. You are generally free to poison yourself to your hearts' content.

What do you want to accomplish? No matter what you were doing, I'd wash everything you were wearing while sanding and scraping. Wear a respirator (p100 is the standard for lead i believe) while you're down there until you've got the dust cleaned up.

The ideal way to clean up lead paint chips and dust is with a HEPA vac. A shop vac with drywall or HEPA bags is better than nothing, probably.

If you still need to sand down there, you can put down plastic and wet sand and then roll it up and throw it away. In general, keeping things moist will prevent the dust from going anywhere. Encapsulating is one of the most common ways of dealing with lead paint, i.e. paint over it.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

deoju posted:

Thanks for the info.

No worries. No amount of lead is good for you, but adult consumption is generally less consequential. It's possible to get acute lead poisoning, but if you were hand sanding I doubt you breathed enough that it's going to give you brain or organ damage. You'll probably be ok.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I'm demoing my rotted out deck and posting about it in my thread for my house. The whole thing probably qualifies as "crappy construction" but I just discovered a detail too good not to share more broadly:

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Tunicate posted:

ah yes, the unsafety railing

Don't worry. None of the posts that the rails are attached to are connect to the ground, they are merely poorly attached to the side of the deck, which is itself built on top of the remains of a previous deck (I think) so the whole thing wobbles alarmingly even without that element.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Zil posted:

Are we going to take bets on if there is a yet to be discovered third deck underneath all that?

It's certainly possible:

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Jeherrin posted:

Those joists look a bit uniform, have you considered notching them? Maybe to make space for a bath hottub?

There's already a hot tub that may or may not work in our separate, enclosed deck. Structurally speaking it is a little more reassuring, but has five pairs of sliding doors, three of which open into a two foot drop-off.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That looks like a pallet under there. Albeit, a sturdy one, but it looks like a pallet.

Maybe a concrete stoop underneath that?

It's porches all the way down.

Yeah i thought so too, we'll see as we get closer

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Danhenge posted:

:siren: Structural pallet confirmed :siren:

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
A lot of trees in central Texas are doing that after having a bunch of branches frozen in the that big freeze over the winter. My parents have at least one tree that maintained some canopy but also sprouted randomly like that.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

On is privately funded and is said to cost the taxpayers nothing, the other costs many million of dollars. They likely could not fit any current monorail designs in the Vegas loop tunnels it’s quite small.

I cannot bring myself to believe that Musk would do this without getting some tax boondoggle or subsidy that taxpayers pay for directly or indirectly.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Cat Hatter posted:

They keep reinventing the train because trains are usually not economically viable for moving people around so they need to make it different enough that maybe it'll work this time.

Haha what.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Leviathan Song posted:

Any two pronged cord that you plug in to isn't expecting and is perfectly safe without a ground connection. Lots of lamps and usb chargers work that way perfectly safely.

If someone throws a three prong outlet in to that outlet box and just doesn't connect the ground wire because there is no ground wire running to the outlet, then you can plug 3 prong cords in to it but the ground isn't actually functional. Appliances that need a ground wire to function properly or even safely can be plugged in to it and you can end up frying your electronics or even ending up with electronics where the case is hot and can electrocute you. Malfunctioning electronics that would trip a circuit breaker with a correctly grounded outlet can be deadly.

I'd prefer an outlet that I know is ungrounded and can't plug an appliance that should be grounded in to like that to one that pretends to be grounded by having the extra hole. That kind of dangerous outlet is super common in lovely renovations of old houses.

I bought an outlet tester before we moved into the house we bought last year because i wanted to double check and make sure that there weren't any open grounds not protected by a GFCI. Then i went back to the house we were renting and plugged it in a socket out of curiosity and quickly figured out the house was full of open grounds we'd been using for almost two years. Knowing the guy who owned the house I'm sure he did it himself while he was still living there.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/x02b61/i_built_a_large_shed_out_of_stuff_i_got_from_the/

Don't try to count how many things he does wrong, you'll run out of numbers.

I see they finally found the criminal who built my old deck.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
When we got a new dishwasher earlier this year I discovered that the switch under the sink that ostensibly controlled the dishwasher wasn't actually wired up to anything and our old dishwasher was hardwired without any disconnect other than the breaker.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

See the inlet on the disposal for the hose that's hastily sealed with nitrile glove and packaging tape?

That's where the old dishwasher hose went.

E: I didn't notice it was left open when maintenance left. Had been using the sink infrequently for a week or so, found all my poo poo soaked under the sink. Tape and gloves were what I had handy. Doesn't leak and they can fix it when I move out.

You buried the lede a little bit there, it's pretty hard to see in the photo.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Builder grade vinyl to replace old single panes.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

That's on old attic space that was drywalled.

Part of the reason that the drywall is so visible are the soot lines visible on each roof joist, some coinciding with drywall joints. So something furnishing heat in that house is defective, or set-up wrong (and a CO hazard)...or the POs really liked Glade Plug-Ins or keeping dozens of Yankee scented candles lit all day every day.

There's also dirt/soot on the back wall. Very weird. Maybe a bad job trying to cover up cigarette smoke?

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

My friend bought a flip and continues to find janky poo poo, but this takes the cake.

Somehow neither he or the inspector caught that a window on the outside didn't match up to any window on the inside. Also the window wasn't even locked before they walled over it!

A couple of my upstairs windows are walled over because they turned room space into closets. The shutters are just closed over the windows, honestly no idea what kind of shape they're in.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Uthor posted:

Aw, they could have left them and you'd have an escape when someone locks you in the closet!

They're both half located in two different closets

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Superrodan posted:

There's a different, much better looking staircase in later photos. I can't tell if there's three stories above the ground or if the other staircase goes down from the first floor.

It's weird - it looks like a three-story version of a sort of cape cod layout that's common in parts of Maryland, and maybe elsewhere. Whoever did those stairs would have had to rip out better ones to put them in. Or I guess turned a duplex into a single-family home?

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Vim Fuego posted:

For your enjoyment

I'm also looking at that pipe wrap and trying to decide if that gleam is foam or asbestos

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Apparently it's not even the builder's fault, it's an issue with the manufacturing of the blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Insane coincidence, metric system got super lucky with that one.

Yeah, there's no way to predict how much water will weigh