Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GreenCard78 posted:

Have a wet dream of a rail transportation system

:allears:

Wait, still no loving connection to Dulles (unless it's on the Gray Line)? C'mon man.

And why the gently caress not go all the way and link it to Newport News and Norfolk via Richmond. All the military traffic between NB Norfolk and the Pentagon would make the line pay for itself. Unless they figure the Amtrak line from Newport News is sufficient already.

yoctoontologist posted:

Speaking of election maps, here's the pre-WWI border between the German and Russian Empires overlaid on the results of the 2007 Polish elections:

I'm not too knowledgeable about the history of Poland, but there's some discussion of the causes in the comment thread at Strange Maps.

Welcome to the aftermath of a major population transfer. After 1945 all the Germans in the yellow-orange parts of Poland were expelled and most of the current residents were either Poles already in those areas who managed to survive the Nazi years or were refugees from elsewhere, especially the eastern parts of Poland that were given to the Soviet Union under the terms of Yalta and Potsdam.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SombreroAgnew posted:

Alternate historychat: The new flagchat? Time will tell.

So in what crack-addled alternate reality does the British Empire turn into a bunch of random "worker's republics" while the Russian Empire is still going strong (minus Poland, Ukraine, and the Baltic states)? Not to mention there's no independent Ireland.

Seriously, what person with absolutely no knowledge of the pre-WW1 British Empire came up with this?

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 18, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

eSports Chaebol posted:

My guess would be that they believe that if Alexander II had not been assassinated, he would have sufficiently liberalized Russia to maintain popular Tsarist control in a strong Russia through World War I, avoid revolution, and the resulting effects on the Great War and subsequent history would have meant Communism took hold as an actual proletarian, anti-imperialist movement in the British Empire.

Actually it's apparently something about Winston Churchill's father goes Super Saiyan and blows up the Empire somehow because Alternate History means you can just make up political cause and effect.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Bringing us back full circle to the topic of politically loaded maps again, here's another map that says "Screw you Guyana. Love, Venezuela."

Guatemala tried this in the late 1960s with Belize (which at that point was still under British administration) up to the point of assembling an invasion force. They were stopped by an ad hoc Royal Navy task force led by the ancient aircraft carrier Ark Royal launching a few strike aircraft to overfly Belize at the limit of their range.

There's a great book on the subject which really explains why the British government is so goddamned gung ho for the two modern aircraft carriers currently under construction. Well, that and the unprovoked invasion of the Falklands.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cygni posted:

They still hate each other.

I don't know why but I find this hysterical.

Oh, and the book I mentioned is Phoenix Squadron by Rowland White. Don't let the praise from Jeremy Clarkson dissuade you, it really is an excellent read.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Vichy France was all too eager to help the Germans.

The leadership perhaps, but would the rank and file really want to fight their former Allies at the beckon call of their invaders? Even after the idiocy that went down at Mers-el-Kébir and Dakar and Syria the average Vichy servicemen weren't interested in fighting for the Germans. The French Navy scuttled itself en masse when Vichy was invaded specifically to deny their ships to the Germans despite the fact that the British and Americans were invading French North Africa at the same time.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A platoon is like 30 guys, its not that much of a stretch that the Germans were able to find 30 assholes on islands with tens of thousands of people.

The pitifully few men who joined the British Freikorps weren't from the Channel Islands and had gently caress all to do with them. They were POWs from the Commonwealth armed forces, some of whom actually signed up for the unit to either spy on it or sabotage it from the inside.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 8, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

zoux posted:

Chinese map translated into literal English.

Meanwhile, on a related note:

Doesn't "New Spear Island" sound much more awesome than New Jersey? Also I think that Louisiana would be more properly translated as King Louis's Land. Finally, the translation of Idaho may be an urban legend, since it's possible it comes from the Plains Apache word ídaahę́, which means "enemy" and was apparently used to describe the Comanches.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 8, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dr. Tough posted:

See here's what I don't get about this, Maryland is listed as "Land of the Rebellious One" but isn't it just "Queen Mary's Land"? Like how do you get the former out of the latter. I think these literal name guys are just making poo poo up.

It's because the people who create these things don't actually understand the history of the places they're renaming :ssh:

Modest Mao posted:

What's the etymology of Mary?

It depends who you ask. Of course that shouldn't matter since Maryland was named after a very specific person named Mary, with no reference to what the name Mary translates to.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 9, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Muscle Tracer posted:

Have you ever been to Colorado? It's actually an extremely health- and fitness-conscious state, with a huge emphasis put on outdoorsmanship, hiking, biking, etc. in all of the large communities.

Don't forget that pretty much everything in Colorado is uphill from everything else.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Oklahoma is full of oil wells and natural gas is a byproduct of oil production. There's been all sorts of rebates put in place recently to encourage natural gas vehicles in Oklahoma.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Elim Garak posted:

Wow "tonic" has been erased from the non-alcoholic carbonated beverage map entirely. When I was growing up in the 80's I had cousins in the Boston suburbs who called it tonic, that wasn't that long ago.

I've never heard anyone refer to soft drinks as "tonic" except maybe ads from the 1890s. Are you sure they didn't mean tonic water?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Florida is such a patchwork of team loyalties because of all the retirees and transplants living there. There was probably such a variety of responses to that survey that one team ended up with just a slight plurality of votes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ofaloaf posted:

It's fries with gravy and cheese, which is about as American a dish as possible. I've seen it sold by street vendors in Detroit.

And look what happened to Detroit. :tinfoil:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
A chocolate croissant is a regular croissant with chocolate baked into it. The other thing is a pain au chocolat. Or at least that's what they called 'em in Britain when I was there.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DrSunshine posted:

Fantastical Alt-history maps okay? If so, let me present Greater California. :ca:

This here is why I voted for Aaron Kimball.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Somehow Wilhelm gets put in charge of a constitutional monarchy-type deal in Germany in the late '20s/early '30s, then the Nazis beat and cheat and sleaze their way into power as per actual history and he becomes a figurehead like President von Hindenburg. Out of all of Crimson Skies that's one of the most plausibly explainable things, really.

Wait, why are we trying to apply logic to an old (but pretty awesome) Zeppelin-punk airplane game again?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

KoldPT posted:

Novas Oportunidades :v:

I need feminism because way too many people are uncreative at babbynaming.

I'm actually shocked that Ava made a minor comeback recently.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

computer parts posted:

I like that you can tell exactly when Twilight got popular.

Also that I can finally blame the overwhelming number of Jennifers I have to deal with on Utah. That's where it all began, it seems.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

computer parts posted:

Supposedly it was this film.

Man, Al Gore has a lot to answer for.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GreenCard78 posted:

Can't speak about Iowa but I'm surprised for Las Vegas. You'd think they'd want any game anywhere to be able to be shown there.

Why the gently caress would anyone be watching a ballgame in Vegas? I mean besides the oddsmakers and they probably pay for premium feeds anyway.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Numerical Anxiety posted:

What's the spot on the Canadian border with Idaho?

There's a big dam just over the border in Estevan, Saskatchewan. That's the only thing I can think of.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 18, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

lonelywurm posted:

Saskatchewan doesn't border Idaho. You're thinking of North Dakota that's just south of Estevan.

Oh loving Google Maps.

Looking at the real Idaho-Canada border, the only things that could possibly be targeted are high-voltage power lines and a road and rail border crossing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

US National Trails System

Indiana: There's absolutely nothing scenic or historic here, so just move along! :v:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Emanuel Collective posted:

In the US, absolutely not. There was a pittance for "high speed rail" construction in the stimulus package, a bunch of Republican governors decried it as tyrannic big government and rejected funding to build better rail lines, and the push for a better passenger rail system died out. The train line from Chicago to St. Louis has been one of the few lines that has seen significant work. When construction on the line finishes in a few years, it'll be a few minutes faster than driving, at best.

California seems to be doing their damnedest to build a state HSR system. If finished I'd prefer it over driving from LA to Sacramento even if it's slower.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

computer parts posted:

Less likely to be invaded by Europeans.

After 1945, perhaps.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Soviet Commubot posted:

Equivalent NFL map, again with that treasonous southwestern corner of the state.

Scientific proof that Steelers and Cowboys fans are a plague.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

It's pretty dubiously qualified to be considered alongside modern nation-states or even a fin de siècle "great power" like Austria-Hungary.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Broniki posted:

On the topic of second language maps, here's one for the boroughs of London. I'd love to see one for all the counties in the UK.

"Greenwhich".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Hmm yes, all veterans are absolutely traumatized psychotic fascists, said people on the internet who have probably never met one in their life.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The way I understand it is that EU Parliament elections always end up electing whackjob bigot parties because of low voter turnout. Nobody sane actually believes their EU MP will have any effect on anything, so the only ones who vote are crazy bigots.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Basically the EU is a horrible joke of an unelected bureaucracy that nobody can do anything about so the only voters are whackjob racists.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Isn't Colorado City, AZ the home of Warren Jeffs' sect of Mormonism?

Yes it is. Jeffs is currently rotting in jail though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Count Roland posted:

I was on the Guardian's website, and clicked on their Middle East section to read about Iraq. They break it further down by country. And on that list is Comoros. The gently caress?

How did they become part of the Middle East? They must have been settled or conquered by Arabs at some point since Arabic is one of their languages.

Arab colonists and slave traders, actually. Same reason there's a city in Tanzania named Dar es Salaam.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 22, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Most of the UK was deforested some time before they started using coal, correct?

Yeah, if you're looking for the culprits its the Britons/Romans/Saxons/Normans who chopped down most of the trees. In fact some of the first conservation laws were put into place by medieval kings because they wanted intact forests they could get their hunt on in.

I seem to recall reading something as an undergrad about how the "discovery" of North America saved the last scattered bits of forest in Europe. Really huge trees for things like roofing and sailing ship masts were easier to just ship across from the Americas than drag out from the remains bits of woodland on the continent.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Spending time in Europe really makes you appreciate the huge goddamn forests America still has.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mister Adequate posted:

A somewhat related treechat anecdote: I was told by one of my Strategic Studies professors that a couple of decades ago the Danish Navy were informed that "the trees were ready". Wondering what the poo poo, they obviously looked into it. Turns out some two hundred years previous a forest had been planted in order to provide trees for the navy down the line :v:

(This might be BS but I've never known the professor in question to be wrong, she was intimidatingly smart)

On a similar note, there's the case of the forest swastika.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

kalstrams posted:

But the points is that Greenland is about 15 times smaller than portrayed on this map, isn't it?

Yes, because the Mercator projection is designed for navigational purposes, not as an accurate representation of the landmasses.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

kalstrams posted:

Oh, so Mercator mentioned by Torrannor is a projection. I though he used that word to denote red mark on South America. :v:

No, the map is a Mercator projection, and there's a long-running slapfight about how it's bad because it oppresses minorities or the global south or some such thing because it somehow became the standard map for use in schools despite never being designed for that purpose.

Winkel tripel 4 lyfe, incidentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sinestro posted:

Guess the legend.

Edit: Forgot timg.

Number of horrible Seahawks fans?