Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Srice posted:

Right now they only have the license to the movies (and each movie had to be licensed individually).

I'm sure they want the TV series because a reissue would be a license to print money, but for the near future the tv series is out of print.

I think the rights to the TV series might still be in some kind legal blackhole as ADV and Gainax were fighting it out in court regarding the live action rights back 2011, which is weird since ADV spun off the rest of their assets into new companies where allowed by contract back in 2009. It's really unclear where Eva TV's right fell in all that between those information points. My bet is that even if ADV isn't an entity in that fight, Gainax will be obnoxious about the how much they want for the TV series. Probably more than it's worth at least. I mean, you can print money, but if it'd be a 300 dollar boxset, that won't fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
If they're at the vocal recording phase they at least have some if not all animatics (if not final animation) done given the usual anime production process, so it's a good sign. Like worst case, they're doing a section of the partially finished work, but that'd be very unusual for anime.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Netflix is doing right by the VAs by not announcing the cast in advance so at least people hear the dub first before they go full internet harassment mob. I feel legitimately bad for them because even if it's a great dub, a bunch of folks will inevitably be unhappy in a very vocal, unproductive and negative way. They won't just be unhappy and leave it at that - Evangelion virtually invented modern fan entitlement.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
The Rebuilds are absolutely worth watching, if only because Anno & Tsurumaki keep everything a lot tighter. The issue of go-nowhere lore is less of a problem, likely because Tsurumaki is incredibly adept at doing the Gainax bildungsroman without cruft (see FLCL, Diebuster,) something even Anno respects.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 1, 2019

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Supposedly the VAs have already started recording their work, which means at the very least, they've done everything up to the storyboard animatic phase given the usual process of making anime, maybe even more. Now, keyframes, tweens, colors, CG and final composite? Probably not fully complete, and probably all at different levels of completion. However, I would bet the 2020 date is actually locked in, even if it was like Xmas 2020.

Edit:

ArfJason posted:

Whoahwoahwoah what
Explain

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2019/06/24/evangelion-screens-10-minutes-of-new-film-at-japan-expo-in-paris

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Blaziken386 posted:

it's a good lesson! unfortunately Kensuke apparently forgets it after like 20 minutes, because he's still all "wOW I WANNA BE PILOT" basically always

To be fair, nothing could be more accurate, especially in the 90's, than an otaku character who doesn't internalize one iota of the message that was just communicated, focusing instead on sick weapons and fighting. Anno knew exactly what he was satirizing with that character.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Weird BIAS posted:

Kensuke being a military nerd with a camera who takes creeper photos of the school celebrity Asuka to sell them while calling her awful things behind her back hmmmm HMMMMMM

It makes sense though. Eva was made by a guy who was dealing with the most hardcore otaku since the 1980s back when he and his friends established such things as "licensed character goods" and "otaku retail" via General Products (forerunner to both Gainax and otaku retail as we know it today.) Who would else would have such foresight into the complete dregs of otakudom? If anyone was gonna be able to capture a platonically timeless garbage nerd as an incidental aspect of his magnum opus/break down in animation, it was gonna be Anno.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

EthanSteele posted:

Anno doesn't hate otaku, just a certain type of otaku. Being a nerd that focuses on their hobbies more than interacting with people is fine. Being someone who does that and then blames other people for rejecting you when you're the one making the choice of shutting yourself off from others is not. He's also not a huge fan of the wow cool robot crowd iirc, but again, you can like the robot and the tech it's when you do that while also ignoring the message that he doesn't like. He's a man that visibly shakes with fervour when talking about how the movie Char's Counterattack is a "cultural heirloom for future generations" because despite not knowing what was going on when he was working on it he basically had a religious experience when he saw it in theatres so he is under no illusions that he is not a huge nerd.

Yeah, this is more of what I was trying to get at it earlier. Anno's accepted the label of "otaku king" himself, and besides any guy who takes a break from his magnum opus animated film series to direct a Godzilla movie is definitely an otaku king. However, in being that guy, Anno had long run into the "wow cool robots"-types, and so at the very least, he had no problem lightly lampooning that kind of otaku a bit in Kensuke, which is maybe a little underappreciated in the midst of everything else happening in Eva.

Peacoffee posted:

Having read more on Anno's past I'm inclined toward the takes I've seen that say it's less a mecha deconstruction and more tokusatsu with depression. Shin Godzilla seems like it was a real fun opportunity for him, considering.

Yeah, Eva itself feels a bit less radical in it's approach the more it's considered through toku lens than a mecha lens, which Shin Godzilla should put a renewed emphasis on considering how much Anno grounded both with the same kind of bureaucratic trappings and practical considerations of that scale. That is to say, Eva is structurally a toku monster of the week show, but Anno's realism and embrace of the message over just eye-candy brings him to an approach where of course it would be hell to have to fight monsters who are literally trying to end all mankind when you're just a teen, and even the city itself would be burdened in myriad ways to support that mess.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Blockhouse posted:

Absolutely disagree about Franxx. Hell it's not even the most Evangelion-y anime Trigger released that year, since SSSS Gridman manages to evoke the same feeling and direction of Evangelion without Franxx's mistake of trying to emulate the plot structure to frustrating and empty results.

What I'm getting at Gridman feels like a personal and well-directed series that meant a lot to its creators while Franxx felt like a room full of people going "what if we made the next Evangelion" like every other bad Eva clone since the late 90's.

Yeah, agreed. SSSS.Gridman echoed Eva's core psychological message - there's value in human connection and individual existence in the physical world despite it's inherent distance - and landed it very tightly. Meanwhile FranXX tried to lean into Eva's child-exploitation themes and pro-individuality/anti-singularity aspects and couldn't get out of it's own way to land any of it half as well as Eva or even most other Eva clones.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

FilthyImp posted:

(a very good FranXX summary)

Man, seeing it all laid out like makes me realize another problem with FranXX was incessant cribbing of concepts from other shows. Kill La Kill arguably does the same thing as FranXX (collectivist aliens are the real enemy,) but it hits those beats so much better.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

FilthyImp posted:

Oh, I didn't even mention that the series of KlaxoHuman CloneElites are all kind of weird, with their leader being kind of feminine, and they throw the Male/Female Top/Bottom pilot dichotomy off. OR that the quiet, serious teammate figures out she's gay after pining for the Protag's freindzoned female buddy, but gets no real happy ending partner and instead figures out a way to cure their aging problem while she herself slowly passes away.

The series ends up being weirdly heteronormative, with a lot of rebuilding/growth tied to reproduction. Which, yeah, I get it since Japan has the birthrate problem to deal with.

I mean, they imply with vaguest of end credit montages that the dying girl ends up with the protagonist's original FranXX partner that audience was lead to believe is dead for most of the show, but that's at best a last minute patch on a very narrow-minded seeming show.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Zeruel posted:

Wait that was meant to be Hiro's OG partner?

God Franxx was such a loving mess. Just pretend it ends at episode 16 or whatever.

Yeah, it's an huge train wreck, made all that more impressive by the fact the big themes are mostly cribbed, but it was just terrible at doing them because everything they tried to add undermined what they lifted/referenced.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

EthanSteele posted:

khara: "Please finish the Rebuilds"

Anno: "no"

khara: "we'll let you make an ultraman movie if you finish the rebuilds"

Anno: "Rebuild 4 will be released in 2020, thank you"

I suspect the reason they even feel comfortable announcing Ultraman is because khara's probably past the storyboarding, key frame and voice recording stage for 3.0+1.0, and are hopefully at worst doing in-between cuts. The fact we have ten whole minutes of movie already suggests they're probably even farther along into coloring & effects animation. If so, it's at a point where it'll be more on Tsurumaki or Masuyuki or Maeda or whoever is actually doing the day to day direction & the people they're managing than Anno. Even if Anno is half distracted writing Ultraman, it won't matter now unless something in pre-work on Ultraman makes him want to fix something very late in the game on 3.0+1.0 and he actually manages to convince the rest of his staff to scrap rather finished work.

Which I suppose isn't impossible.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
I'm not gonna blame them for not wanting to release direct to video/streaming during a pandemic after how long it's taken to get to this point. So long as it's otherwise done, I'm not gonna sweat that it's sitting vaulted until it can make an obscene pile of cash in theatres and on merch.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Jonny 290 posted:

it's really interesting because i'm popping around again on the film, mostly in the village scenes, and i want to post screenshots of frames that i love, but it's so much better in motion. I keep having this feeling in the back of my mind that Anno had Miyazaki on speed dial for the first third. The whole first act is just so gorgeous and warm.

Honestly, that first third and the upbeat note it ends on generally really feel like Anno is making his case to Miyazaki & Ghibli as a whole that he & the staff at khara can carry the torch now both in spirit, but also very likely literally regarding getting a shot to do Nausicaa sequels, something Anno & Miyazaki have mused on over the years but never actually advanced. Anno is seemingly declaring through 3+1 that he's emotionally ready and aesthetically capable of filling those shoes.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Dude's a nerdy late night comedy writer, it's probably a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Mari, at points, feels like they dropped Haruko from FLCL in the middle of Eva. A completely self-interested "eternal teenager" who appears out of nowhere and then flirts with/assaults anyone in range on the way to her own vaguely defined goals. It doesn't line up all that well on the whole for sure, but it's the rough parallel that comes to mind.