Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

not reading the spoilers, when the hell do I get to actually watch this movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

To me it feels like the first two Rebuild movies basically fast-forward through Shinji's development from the original series of learning to open himself to others even if it means eventually getting hurt, and then 3.0 is about trying to move forward after the "getting hurt" part happens. By the start of 3.0 Shinji already knows that he needs other people in his life, that he can't just run away whenever someone reaches out to him, and that he needs to give himself the opportunity to love and be loved. The movie is then about what happens when those things that he knows he needs are forcibly taken away from him, and the self-destructive actions he takes out of desperation to rebuild those connections. In that sense, 3.0 feels a lot more like a "New" Anno movie than the first two movies to me.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

dishwasherlove posted:

Can't believe someone paid $10k for a cam rip.

hideki anno is gonna hear about this and decide to remake evangelion’s ending a fourth time

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BGM of this scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yaWcRmjlcw

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

AW YES TWO

remind me why people hate this episode again

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lmao

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I didn’t get the twist spoiled for me before I saw Salvation, can confirm the movie sucked rear end

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the rebuilds only really work if you have prior knowledge of the original series tbqh.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

end of eva is real fuckin good

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fly Ricky posted:

Rei is literally a doll; there’s a factory full of her down in the basement for chrissakes.

I do give respect for writing that joke post so sincerely. :golfclap:

Rei is, in the literal sense, an artificial human meant to be obedient and easily replaceable.
But she disobeys and murders her creator in the original series and in Rebuild 3.0 Shinji treating her like a "doll" is one of the red flags that he's becoming more like his father.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

*smirks just like Gendo*

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Szmitten posted:

I feel like getting into Evangelion this close to the final entry of the Rebuilds is a kinda terrible way to appreciate everything.

Like, even getting into Eva after 1.0 is gonna be a weird fucky experience.

getting into eva at any point in time is kinda gonna be a weird fucky experience. it's a weird fucky series, that's why it's great.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the English script for this movie is, uh, not great. lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

This was a nice and touching capstone to the series but tbh it kinda felt like it was mostly just restating things that the original series and EoE already said for the people that didn't get it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I am sorry that this is the interpretation you got from this series. I can understand how you feel that way since when you are really deep in those feelings it can be very difficult to see suggestive positive outcomes as anything other than patronizing. From my perspective, it is more about isolation and the use of communication to work through problems through mutual understanding.

this is what evangelion has always been about, not just the rebuilds.
rebuild definitely doesn't have the same emotional rawness as the original though. Like, man did Shinji's jump to self-actualization happen pretty drat quickly

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mirello posted:

if you wanna feel depressed just watch EoE, but I think after 25 years its ok to feel better.

End of Evangelion posted:

”Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy. As long as the Sun, the Moon, and the Earth exist, everything will be all right.”
I don’t get how people still miss the fact that EoE has a powerfully life-affirming message and isn’t just “movie make you feel sad”

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I might watch this again in Japanese because the dub was uhhh kinda poo poo? It was nice to hear the old crew one last time and there were some good moments here and there but the script sounds like it was machine-translated and it’s pretty poorly-produced all around. Spike Spencer can only do so much.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

After all is said and done, who is your waifu?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I want to kiss the shrieking polyhedron

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CodfishCartographer posted:

Seeing all the comparisons to EoE lately has got me thinking. I've always kind of felt like the community at large over states how happy of an ending EoE had.

Like, yes it was overall a positive ending in that Shinji is on the path to a healthier future as he's realized that being with other people is worth the pain. However it also ends with seemingly all of humanity dead, and the only two people left have an extremely toxic relationship with one another. Shinji is seemingly on the path to recovery, but also immediately strangles the first person he comes across. For a first time viewer it's an incredibly bleak ending that only has the slightest hint of a positive message behind it, and the hard cut ending really helps it feel even more depressing. Multiple rewatches does give a better impression of it being a happy ending, but it takes some effort to get there imo.

it’s directly stated that every human being has the ability to regain their physical forms, Shinji and Asuka are just the first ones out

the final scene with asuka though is extremely raw and emotionally complex and people will be debating it until the end of time

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

sinky posted:

Is there a reason that Sakura is so crazy about Shinji piloting Eva, to the extent she tries to shoot him?
Aside from terrible things happening every time he does so.

She feels partly responsible for not being able to keep Shinji out of the EVA in 3.33 and getting traumatized again and she’s worried that now he’s gonna gently caress himself up even worse than last time. She wants to wound him so he can’t get in the EVA but isn’t trying to kill him like pink-hair lady

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 17, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I don’t know who needs to hear this but, The fights aren’t even the reason why Evangelion is so good.

they definitely help tho
EoE wouldn’t be the same without the fight between Asuka and the Eva series

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So in the Rebuild continuity was Asuka always a clone or did this happen at some point during the timeskip?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dishwasher posted:

Another way I've heard it put is as an RPG with EoE being the Asuka-route and 4.0 being the Rei-route. One more cynical and violent because its the bad ending.

don’t make me tap the sign

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

anime dubs are nice to have because sometimes the dudes are talking while they’re fighting and the show’s animation is popping off and you want to be able to just focus on the visuals and not have to read. there are scenes in shows where I straight-up didn’t understand what was happening in an action scene until I watched it again dubbed because my eyes were always drawn to the words on the bottom of the screen and I’d miss what was going on

also with some shows like JoJo I just find it fun to hear the different takes on characters and dialogue

Augus fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 10, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

he was doing what

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Midjack posted:

Now imagine this being played in front of 2000 people clutching yaoi paddles and "GLOMP ME" signs, that's what its Otakon debut was.

ok

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

TenementFunster posted:

tiffany grant sucks

you suck

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

TenementFunster posted:

a lot of Eva Pilot Preference comes down to whether someone listened to the original language track or the english adaptation. in the intended product, rei is voiced by The Absolute GOAT, but it's an intentionally spare performance that it's easily overshadowed. Asuka has so much more sauce in the original. people who watch the english language adaptation tend to prefer rei by default due to the alternative.

you are the only person that thinks this

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

GateOfD posted:

am i alone in that i enjoyed the original eva series.

but have had 0 series in any of the rebuild movies?

did you mean to say "0 interest"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the fight with the geometry Angel in rebuild 1 was cool as gently caress, movie’s worth it for that alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yn9RDrD3H8