Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

There’s only one good “marching” band in Texas and it’s the MOB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

LET’S GO TO LUUUUUUTHEEEEEER’S

For real though, Goode Company is 100% brand recognition by olds and inertia i.e. people don’t really know any better. I’m likely exaggerating to a certain extent, but before maybe 2007 Houston definitely wasn’t a BBQ city and you had Goode Company / Pappas / Luther’s and some super small places everywhere nobody knew about. It wasn’t until after that when Houston started getting more recognition as a food city (I’m well aware it always was and there’s rich history in all the neighborhoods) that you saw dozens of actually great BBQ places start coming up and now if anything there’s more than I’ll ever get a chance to try and I’m sure. I look forward to once the boomer population drops and god willing Goode Company goes with it.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

As someone who has done Franklin’s twice by getting there at like 730 (worth it, don’t at me) 5am for a line up is completely insane to me. That’s well past the point of diminishing returns.

Along those lines, was in Austin this weekend for a work thing my wife had and finally went to La Barbecue. Never went to the trailer, but a 1050 arrival / 1125 food order for its incredible quality was perfection.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

With the caveat that I obviously want actually progressive Dems, just give me someone who reliably votes the lovely way you expect them to. I’m tired of seeing a million headlines—federal or local—like “Manchin votes no on <good Dem legislation>” and that dominating the discourse. OH HE DID IM SO SHOCKED

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Captain Monkey posted:

Also downtown, Rodeo Goat is on the opposite side but tasty and a bit better. Lankford’s used to be better than it is now.

You’ve lost every bit of your credibility by recommending a Dallas restaurant, you have exposed your bias you monster

pains me to say, you are right though. Rodeo goat still one of the best burgers in the city, nowhere else does a crazy ingredient burger but does it in the exact right proportions that it just works

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Big “no we don’t have room for a single shelf of women creators, we need this entire wall for Cyberfrog copies” vibe coming off of that.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

HEY WE WON BASEBALL THAT ONE YEAR

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Marxalot posted:

If only we made murder more illegal. Where are the Dems on this??

Greg Abbot just outlawed rape after all, shame he’s more progressive!

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

There’s no ethical consumption under capitalism, and as long as Blue Bell keeps making Cookie Two Step I won’t care how many they kill. Sorry not sorry.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Captain Monkey posted:

https://twitter.com/saracress/status/1448670541490049033?s=21

Let’s slow down with endorsing this New York taco spot.

I would eat that 100x before eating the Brooklyn BBQ.

Which nobody post that, it’s an affront to the senses.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

i say swears online posted:

bring back the salted caramel you cowards
I was so angry when they dumped it for the far inferior Dr Pepper shake.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I sometimes ask for a malt because it says malt on the menu, but I can't tell if it's any different. And I have no idea if there would be anything different about it.
I’m glad this isn’t just me. I alway ask for a malt because I love a good one, but for sure 50% of the time they give me a shake. I’m assuming there aren’t separate spigots and it’s more like they mix in some malt powder as they’re filling your cup and then mix that except … they just don’t. Disappointing, but I’m not turning my car around to go in and complain or anything.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Jiro posted:

https://www.latinorebels.com/2021/12/14/latinopostmortemreport/

"A New 105-Page Report Provides an Even Deeper Look Into Why US Latinos Voted the Way They Did in 2020"

We aren't a loving monolith vote, the socio-economic status ranges from dirt poor to disgustingly wealthy, and the lasting effects from the 1950s push for Hispanics at the time to be considered white has done the most damage.

(See Hernandez v. Texas 1954)

The Dem Establishment: what if . . . uh . . . what if we started saying 'Latinx' to be more inclusive? . . . WHAT DO YOU MEAN THAT'S NOT ENOUGH!!??!

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Hillbilly gravy

Also, that can pic is just proving the opposite. It literally says "Texas Chili" i.e without beans and then they have to clarify they have added beans to actual Texas Chili :smug:

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

"UNIONS FOR ALL"
boooooo
"VERY WELL. NO UNIONS FOR ANYONE."
boooooo
"Hmmmm . . . UNIONS FOR SOME, MINIATURE TEXAS FLAGS FOR OTHERS."
yayy

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Just because great BBQ (which that is not) doesn't need sauce, doesn't mean I don't loving want some sauce to enjoy with it.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Double posted, editing this one to say that as far as things BBQ adjacent I am so delighted that Loro is now open in Houston and I don't have to be in Austin / deal with crowds to get it. So loving good.

Cael fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 26, 2022

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Sardonik posted:

The chicken karaage is always good though.

For sure this gets the stamp of approval, but also I get the corn fritters every time and they're perfect. You wouldn't necessarily think "oh just some corn and batter and spices fried up" will be the best think you have there, but it always is. I had the burger last week and it was also incredible (high brisket percentage in the meat, a great crust on it). I had a friend who had the turkey sandwich at lunch and loved it. In my mind, it's a place where everything on the menu looks desirable and I want to go through it all.

To you original point, even when I had them in Austin I never tried to directly go towards the brisket-based items. I place a certain amount of trust in them because they're Franklin adjacent but they're not ACTUALLY Franklin. I can imagine there'd be a quality gradient there.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

"Suffers", yes. "Meaning suffers", still probably not. But at the very least it's movement in the right direction.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

If they announced “oh yeah and halfway through the tunnel there’s an option to exit to a Bucees and then reenter” support would go up 1000%.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I miss when this thread was about BBQ and the presence of beans in chili.

I’m not singling out specific posters, I just miss when we were slightly more blissfully ignorant of how dumb as poo poo the state was.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

jokes posted:

Every day temp goes above 100

*doc brown voice* thermometers? where we’re going … we don’t need thermometers

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

While I suspect that poll was made in 2018, I instead choose to believe that it was from this year and that no state actually picked Rise of Skywalker. As it should be.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Waffle House posted:

What even is your party's platform anymore, my guy? :confused:

"gently caress you, got mine"

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

They take the weird rituals that every college has and crank them up 10x and then add a fake army on top until the whole thing more resembles a cult than a college.

Some cult facts:
  • You can't walk on the grass or you'll get yelled at
  • They build a giant bonfire every year and at one point it killed a bunch of people and they stopped but (I think) they eventually started doing it again?
  • One cadet brings the dog mascot to class all the time, if the dog barks class is over
  • They have multiple dog graves in front of the football stadium for the previous mascots

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

All tortillas matter.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Realtor: buddy, they won’t even let ME jerk off in it!

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

I hope you have some very good winter gear.

Edit: I'm surprised ERCOT isn't putting out at least daily tweets to reassure folks that the grid will be fine. Nothing since 12/16, and the forecast has evolved since then.

Space City Weather showing (at least for Houston) the actual temps won’t be as low or last as long as 2021, so I’m kinda assuming the whole state is like that. I saw that also there’s not as much generation offline going into it as last time so overall the state is in better shape. I could be completely wrong of course, and I’d actually like to see more articles if there’s some overall statewide analysis of things going into the weekend.

All that said, they absolutely should still be reassuring people because lol if you think there’s any kind of trust built back. I wouldn’t be surprised if after the likely minor improvements they’ve done over the last year we get a victory lap of “power was only offline for 10 hours vs 72 and ONLY 10 people died vs 200. PUBLIC TRUST RESTORED.”

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Please nsfw that skyline tweet, nobody needs to see that

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

George H.W. oval office posted:

Where in the gently caress are people getting bulgogi in Austin?

A hundred food trucks serving bulgogi / kimchi fries

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

On the slightly lighter side of "gently caress you, Texas government". I JUST wanted to do the simple form of renewing my registration by entering my VIN, thanks for web 3.0-ifying it with rounded buttons and the need to register an account you morons

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Lol, thank you for your service. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually drop the older one entirely, but at least it's still there.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

:itwaspoo:

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Lot of people in here not giving the Sweet n Spicy Bacon Burger it’s due respect

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Ban everyone in this thread who has an unkind word to say about queso, even if it is a troll.

Atahualpa posted:

Are we talking just plain queso with like melted Velveeta and Rotel like my coworkers love to make every time there's a potluck, or any type of queso here? Because there's a place near me that makes excellent queso compuesto (and margaritas) and I keep finding myself going back there despite everything else on the menu being so-so because that queso is so drat good.

I will defend Velveeta and Rotel until the day I die. Yes it's objectively inferior to many many incredible quesos where there's time and quality ingredients involved, but it still has its place in my heart.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Are y'all gentrifying queso

Considering one of my favorite queso recipes is from this book and it's basically a Kerby Lane knock off, yes. Yes I am.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Also just … have your phone mounted on the dash. “WHERE DO I GO” where the map tells you to, dude. poo poo I’ll map a route I’ve driven 1000x times just because hey maybe it tells me there’s an accident.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

George H.W. oval office posted:

I begrudgingly admit that Rodeo Goat and Cookshack both from Dallas are good.

I hate how much I like Rodeo Goat, it's too good to be from Dallas.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Can't admit that the O&G industry isn't the perfect solution to all energy questions. Nope let's blame wind and solar.

Those dinosaurs died for you and it would be unamerican to not use every last of their molecules for energy before we move onto using ghost breath and god rays, alright?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Still love the time they played Tulsa and spelled it out on the field only to reverse it. Never stop trolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

It gives you the cool black oil eyes from the X-Files