Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Rhonne posted:

People in the anime thread are now debating if Bakugou would join the villains. The wait for season 3 is going to kill me.

I honestly have to keep catching myself. I posted about Bakugo up to a point, but now that the villain debate has started, I have to take a step back.

I, too, thought Bakugo might end up being a villain while I was reading, but thought that it would be stupid to have happen. I'm glad it didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Hunt11 posted:

I would not be surprised if they were slowly crafting that in between working on season 3 as they know that they have to make that fight absolutely amazing.

The did a really good job on the fight at the USJ, so I can't imagine they'd get the All for One fight wrong. It's probably where most of next season's budget will go.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Gotta say, those sneakers are still pretty rad IRL.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Please?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Fabricated posted:

Viz is very dry and literal as most professional translations are. They've messed up pretty bad a handful of times too.

I need to check my official volumes again but they completely botch some lines and mix up who is actually speaking.

Viz isn't awful, but yeah, the amount of times they get speech bubbles wrong across their catalog is kind of surprising. Sometime's it's not even particularly difficult layouts or anything where they get them switched, either. I remember that the first print run of the 2nd or 3rd volume of the One Piece manga had the last few pages of the thing replaced with the first few pages of the last chapter, I think missing out on a big ending move. It was so long ago that I don't remember the exact details, but it really hurt their reputation with me for awhile.

Of course, this isn't unique to them, and scanlations do it a lot too, but I'd expect more from a professional team with, ostensibly, a similarly professional QA team.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Terper posted:

No....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

What a terrible future. I don't blame him for letting himself be killed.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Countblanc posted:

I'm glad Nighteye is dead because clairvoyance is the shittiest power, especially after getting confirmation that it's impossible to actually alter the events foreseen.

Well, you can't really prove a negative, and all we know is that he hasn't been able to alter the foreseen events so far, so I'm holding out hope that he's OK.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I've never really gotten the insistence someone people have that Deku should have been quirkless. Not only would it result in them jettisoning a good portion of the entire plot considering One For All is gone, but it'd be an albatross that would require them having to constantly write around to have Deku not being murdered by people with superpowers. On top of that, people constantly frame it in terms of a disability narrative, because Deku not having powers is analogous to being "disabled" in the show's society and they think that giving him a Quirk means he's been fixed. Speaking as someone with something that's commonly considered a developmental disorder, this has always felt extremely patronizing, and I'm not really eager for more narratives where the "normal" people are now the ones marginalized.

The only reason why I can think of why it's so prolific is that they want Deku to be even more of a character they can project on to; he's not just a fanboy getting to hang with people with cool powers, he's also a normal person just like you!!! who's totally showing the people who rely on superpowers how it's done.

I didn't read Naruto for very long, but I remember this working pretty well with Rock Lee. He couldn't do nijutsu, but he trained his body so heavily that a lot of people just couldn't keep up with him physically. He was pretty interesting in what little I saw of him, and I think he could've worked as a protagonist for his own thing up to a point. I think it'd be kind of hard to keep up a shonen manga where the protagonist never learns any cool new magic tricks, though, even if they do get physically stronger.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Radish posted:

Also half of his gear is basically magic.

You mean you don't carry a can of Carousel Reversal Spray with you at all times?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
I don't follow this closely enough to know what's going on with him, but I hope that he is OK.:(

I mean, he even says he can hear his bones creaking under the stress, so obviously there's something more to what he's doing. But the full cowling is getting his entire body used to using the power instead of just on limb at a time, so it's probably easier for him to reach a bit further than usual in extreme circumstance. I think kaioken is a pretty good analogy, since Goku would still be wiped out after using it, and could only do so for a limited amount of time. But pushing that far, and even beyond, consistently enough is what got him to super saiyan levels, so being able to go 20% briefly is a big step on the way to controlling 100% completely.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I actually appreciate the simplicity and subtlety of Deku's costume, because he's basically nobody with a quirk he doesn't fully understand. Once he's the Pillar of Justice, he'll probably improve it. I just hope he doesn't change the look of his shoes, or the rad metal thing Mei made for them.

I don't really think any of the costumes are bad, though. They tend to fit the characters well enough, and none of them are offensively ugly or anything.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Aurora posted:

quirks are magic

Wanna see this as an informational pamphlet that doctors give to new parents.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Say Nothing posted:

Cosplay.

Tsuyu.

I really appreciate that they took time to get big, goofy gloves to replicate Tsuyu's big, goofy hands. It's honestly one of my biggest complaints with most fan art, so seeing it in cosplay in extra refreshing.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Radish posted:

Multiverse bullshit is the last place I want this series to go.

But what if we get to see a One For All Lemillion?

That's literally the only interesting thing I can think would come from an arc like that. I also hope it doesn't happen.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Farg posted:

I hope mei shows up

Me, too. She's the best.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
All Mei-t.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
It's neat that Momo in Bakugo's costume is way more reasonable than Momo's actual costume.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Ytlaya posted:

He still has to hit them with his hair, and he can only use it when he isn't moving. The drawbacks help balance the ability.

Which is why we should probably wait to yell about Eri's quirk until we know whether or not there are drawbacks. There almost certainly are, like literally every other quirk we've seen so far.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Sure, but a power without a consequence to using it is pretty boring. Especially one that has the power to very locally undo things. So if her power does end up having no cost to use, it'll be OFA/AFO levels of powerful. I really doubt, though, that it won't have a cost, or at least a restriction.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I, for one, am very excited to see somebody get kicked or punched very hard. I bet I will be very impressed by how hard someone is punched or kicked.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Manatee Cannon posted:

all might explained this ages ago. all for one can only be passed on if the user wants it to be

Yeah, this was addressed back with Stain, who also used blood for his quirk.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Say Nothing posted:

I'm still pondering how Bulma had two children with Vegeta.

Very carefully.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I said I was excited to see somebody get punched or kicked very hard, and this chapter did not disappoint. Very hard punches. Good chapters.

Another pleasant surprise was the lack of bad fanart before the chapter.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Vengarr posted:

The only thing I can't tell is whether Deku is legit releasing steam from his eyes the way All Might does when he transforms, or whether it's a stylistic thing.

Either way it's cool as hell. It's not hard to follow a one-sided beating.

My guess is that he's being destroyed and rebuilt incredibly quickly, and that's just a result of being in a state between life and death.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Ytlaya posted:

I don't see how Deku could punch Chisaki in the head at 100% without literally knocking his head off or at least pulverizing his skull/brain.

The pressure in front of his fist hits Chisaki before the hit can even attempt to connect.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Vengarr posted:

I like the idea that its steam, though. You remember how he was always crying at the start of the series?

Oh, haha. That's actually a pretty funny idea, and now I hope it's true.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I think she has to touch her hands together to release her quirk, so a swing probably wouldn't work. She could probably throw it over somebody's head and make it drop on them if she got the timing right, like in her fight with Bakugou.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

ChronoReverse posted:

That's what I'm thinking, Urakawa seems to remove the inertial mass too with her power after all.

In fact, I'd commission a tool like Bakugou has, except to hurl tungsten slugs.

Do we know whether she can release her hold on individual things, though? As far as I know, she releases her quirky entirely at once, and anything that was floating isn't anymore.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

PMush Perfect posted:

Give him a fidget spinner made of knives. That's what the kids really want these days.

I mean, Spinner's his name, so why not?

kidcoelacanth posted:

Say whatever you will about this arc, every time I see something like this I can't think of anything but how talented of an artist Horikoshi is.

I remember thinking this about Tite Kubo's characters pages before falling off of Bleach entirely.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Venuz Patrol posted:

i'd say the difference here is that hirokoshi actually mixes his costume design into the story. no matter how interesting the fashion on the front page was, everybody in any chapter of bleach would be wearing either a plain black or a plain white robe

I mean if, like Venngar said, Kubo's hand was forced and his characters basically had to stay in their robes and poo poo for the sake of keeping it a battle manga, then that's not something I can blame him for. Kubo very obviously still cared about drawing good poo poo from what he did in his characters spreads, which were always pretty phenomenal. And Horikoshi very obviously still cares about his art as well, and seems to still care about the story to some extent. But if his heart isn't in it, or his hand is being forced to draw and write something he doesn't want to, then no amount of spectacular art will change that.

Manatee Cannon posted:

early bleach was great and I miss it

shame about the rest of it

Early Bleach was very good for a surprisingly long time, but some switch got flipped at the Soul Society arc that immediately turned it into a power levels manga, and it only got worse from there. I got to the beginning of the Vaizard/Arrancar stuff before dropping it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
As much as it did boil down to who had the better bankai, don't forget that one of the most powerful people Ichigo faced in the Soul Society arc was a man who did not know how to unleash his shikai, but also had so much raw power oozing out of him that he needed something to absorb the excess. Bleach had the groundwork for power levels very early.

I really doubt that MHA is getting anywhere close to power levels with anybody but Midoriya, since we have seen the 100% he can be. Everybody else seems like learning to better control and more cleverly use their existing quirks at their pretty much established levels.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

PMush Perfect posted:

With 20% now actually feasible, I suspect we have 20%, then maybe 35%, then 50%, then 75%, then 100%, then PLUS ULTRA%.

Remember that 100% is not 100% of his power, or even 100% of All Might's power. It's 100% of what Deku's body is capable of putting out when he first got OfA. 100% Deku couldn't even phase Noumu, so clearly 100% Deku doesn't beat 110%(?) All Might.

To be fair, All Might only managed to beat Nomu over repeated use of his power. If Deku could use OfA for the same amount of time at the same rate, he could probably just as handily take care of Nomu.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Both Uraraka and Hastume Mei are too good for Bakugo. Basically every girl in this thing is too good for Bakugo.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I bet you Kirishima could convince Bakugo to try weed.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Shigaraki acting villainous. I like it a whole lot. A good chapter.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He also jumps into Sand guy's attack as a distraction for the other guys. He's become such a good evil friend. :)

Really taking Midoriya's advice to heart.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Manatee Cannon posted:

would that make afo freeza

who would all might be when mineta is clearly roshi

Wouldn't Mineta be more of an Oolong? And All Might would be Kami or King Kai.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Never really thought about how creepy it would be for a person in real life to have fully black eyes with only vague yellow dots for pupils. It's very unsettling.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Mordaedil posted:

Man, that sucks.

Have either of you seen Katanagatari? That's a show I'd have on my bucket-lists if animes to watch.

The last episode might be a problem if blurry fights are a problem, and maybe some of the Maniwani stuff, but I think this is a pretty good recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
It's a mobile game where you play as Mineta cleaning Mt. Lady's apartment. It makes claims of fanservice in the app store, but it really only shows her sitting on the couch watching TV the whole time.