Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
if they get told the distinction then they can just choose whichever one looks like it's from the 80s or earlier. hell, even in recent UC material people still dress very retro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

War and Pieces posted:

Tomino felt compelled to describe Anaheim's opinion towards Israel but had to text to specify that it should never be directly brought up on screen.

lmao i had to look this up and what the hell? maybe it is better that ZZ got derailed as bad as it did if the alternative was something to do with that

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What makes it interesting is the show knows exactly what it is and isn't telling us and plays its cards very close to the chest. It's not like, say, the Calamity War in IBO that really only exists to dress up background details of the plot, whatever's going on outside of Asticassia and the Plant is deliberately being obfuscated for the time being to deny us context outside of incidental dialogue. The closest you can really guess at is Capitalist Spacians probably hosed up Earth in the name of profit, Earthians are stuck living with the consequences while Spacians don't have to worry about things like recycling and the environment. Anything else is an open question, including why there's such a high demand for Mobile Suits.

yeah this has to be the case, they're playing coy because we're following suletta and she doesn't really know things

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Are we talking about the design of the suit being femininely coded in and of itself, or are we including stuff from the show? Because if it's the former the Rozen Zulu definitely counts, and if it's the latter the Rising Gundam definitely counts

naginata is culturally-understood visual shorthand for woman fighting so rising gundam doesn't need the show context

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

War and Pieces posted:

The aristocratic subject matter makes the dumb coincidences read like Dumas or Dickens. I'm here for it.

it's something you catch glimpses of in the original series too, char's whole count of monte cristo deal endears him to the audience because it goes out of its way to show that the zabis are the most reprehensible part of their own government so you want char to win, but also to lose

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

They also don't have the song in SRW still so clearly there are some additional hurdles

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

SnakesRevenge posted:

The what, now?

mobile suit gundam is about the second world war

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

wasn't the production such a catastrophe for everyone involved that cagalli's VA refuses to voice the character in SRW or is that more standard robot anime fandom invention

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

the mobile suit breakdown discourse also reminded me that when they started on ZZ, they brought up some interviews with the staff behind it, which was very enlightening as to why the massive tone shift. everyone said they were getting tired of grim and intense anime aimed at adult fans, and sincerely felt like anime should return to fun kids shows.

also given how the last stretch of zeta is, you can understand wanting a break

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

haypliss posted:

Glaring absence of Turn A.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

I think turn a works fine even for just an epilogue cap-off to the 'core' of UC+a couple early AUs, since anything after it is (to varying degrees) shaped by turn a's whole statement on what gundam essentially IS. as opposed to the other way around, where all the previous riffs on "what are the core themes of gundam" eventually flowed into turn a

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Justice justice justice justice.

I hope to see you again

e: wait did they take down tl;dw gundam wing? tragedy

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Austin Walker once said (iirc) that Dan Ryckert might be interested in Armored Trooper VOTOMS. Does that mean it’s bad?
i don't understand the streamer inside baseball. votoms is good

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

this just makes me wonder what fukuda thought of gundam when he started seed, and what his intent with seed always was. even if it's not political, people who agree to work on gundam generally do so because they think they can do something interesting with it, right?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

on the subject of seed, i remember when it was airing some people insisted on really weird romanizations. mwu la fllaga, ssigh, etc. what was the source of those?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

see, i could believe either "fansubber with a bug up their rear end" and "bandai just shrugged and put some letters on a gunpla box" (looking at you 'qwrof' or whatever he's spelled from hunter x hunter), but i'm curious where specifically these first emerged because i remember them feeling so arbitrary compared even to other gundam names from other series

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/amaki777/status/1728619525414027723

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

unhinged old man tomino is always a unique experience. "i remember going to auschwitz and thinking 'drat the women here are thicc' because i couldn't bring myself to look at the murder sites, and so that became a character"

also someone posted at some point that if you desperately want more of the story of a rich kid joining a space insurgency you should just watch dougram, and i think that holds as a comment

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I just read Thunderbolt volume 20, and holy poo poo does that manga kick rear end. It just keeps building on itself in such an exciting way. When they busted out the goddamn Jet Stream Attack, I whooped. I also really liked that at some point after the events of the original series the Federation came up with specialized anti Big Zam weapons especially since what they came up with was so simple and clever.

I'm not crazy about the guy being able to straight up Professor X people but this series for a while has been imagining what if the development of Newtype technology and abilities went along a more productive line instead of how in the original UC timeline they went all in on just torturing children for little to no gain. So it's not a huge problem for me

if you go and rewatch zeta it's pretty clear that scirocco is straight up dracula hypnotizing people into following him, newtypes are always doing way more than it seems like they 'should' be doing

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Strictly speaking, Zeon (republic of, located in side 3) was independent for a good 20 years post OYW right? Depending on when the narrator is speaking from they could plausibly see it as a revolution that succeeded in creating an independent space state, even if they lost the war

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

absolutely. even when it's unicorn style "bush blimpo on the federation council did 9/11" stuff it's in reference to the japanese view of a corrupt government, which is a big unaccountable unelected bureaucracy, rather than the authentically american view of people duly elected just on the basis that they will exact bloody vengeance on some population or another

gundam in general isn't interested in actually detailing the political and economic systems of its settings, so anything the shows give you should generally be taken at face value

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 6, 2024

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Monaghan posted:

I can't believe hirais designs got even worse.

He still has my vote for worst character designer in gundam. There's just no personality in them.

hirai is perfectly capable of drawing fun characters, just not for seed. look at majestic prince

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

the main team, villains,a dnt eh other couple of teams all looked very distinct and went with their mannerisms pretty well, idk

fafner characters i find hard to tell apart sometimes so maybe just don't give him uniforms

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

it's definitely why i also brought up fafner, because it has the same problems as seed and is too serious for animators to make characters move super distinctly, but isn't a bad anime separate from the character designs like seed is

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

zanscare isn't just a theocracy, it's a theocracy built around a living messiah figure who is right there, beaming newtype vibes into peoples' heads. not comparable at all to the muslims in zz or unicorn. there's probably an aum shinrikyo/general new religions thing in play that was felt a lot deeper in 1992, or even just in japan where cults are a lot more visible.

i'm rewatching victory after many years too, and i've come to a couple conclusions on inspiration and concept:

-first, the obvious - answering the question of whether scirocco was at all serious or not about the whole absolute monarchy via psychic queen thing. it turns out, even if he wasn't, that's an idea with very popular support in jupiter and there are way more people who are 100% on board with that.

-second, there's an element of intentionally replying to stuff from early UC, without ever touching direct links to the material. why the whole char's grandson thing was pulled from the show, it would be too direct a link. zanscare is the "first as tragedy, then as farce" line applied to zeon rather than napoleon. zeon was an idealistic revolution hijacked for reasons of pure greed. zeon flattened a city with a colony because the zabis didn't really care about the people in the colony or on earth, they just wanted to win. zanscare built a battleship sized bulldozer to flatten cities because they care in a very specific and bizarre way about the earth itself, but not the people on it

-third, it represents tomino arriving at the natural end state of all scifi authors:

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 3, 2024

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

I’m pulling for #orbsweep. Haro deserves the W after all his various incarnations have been through

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Azran posted:

I can't read it as anything other than El Pee Puru since listening to MSB lol

I always think of her as Elpy Pull, what it should have been to keep the idea in audio

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

no matter what actually happens in turn a it's the amuro-role against the char-role. we know who wins this, we always have

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

fuunsaiki should be a competitor next year

as long as he's not in the same bracket as haro, who should return and there should also be at least two haros around

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

That Works posted:

Starting off your series with half of the earth dead is p grimdark.

the funny thing is, this isn't even that unusual for 70s robot series. even setting aside tomino's specific reputation and the shows he worked on, baldios kills off the entire earth, and golion (voltron) has loads of onscreen gore. they're directly adjacent to kaiju movies, there's going to be some large scale destruction. the difference with gundam was the military setting and amuro's character.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 23, 2024

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

one day i too will watch igloo and let it permanently color my view of the entire franchise, and eternally jump at the fear of some new entry being igloo again

50% of this is also how SRW makes it so you can always redeem Gato but not Cima that's ballooned into perceived subtext for 0083 itself. which might be an ideological statement, might be passive misogyny but more likely is just because Gato is the main antagonist with a more personal connection to Kou and Nina, and Cima is not

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Schubalts posted:

Yes, Wing was dubbed first, in 2000. G Gundam didn't get dubbed until 2002, with Zeta getting dubbed in 2004.

The dub order was all over the place.

it makes perfect sense if you think a bit. wing gets dubbed first because it's the most recent AU that doesn't lean on meta-franchise references like X/Turn A do, so it's a nice clean contextless intro to gundam for american kids. Then G gets dubbed because it's the one before that, then Zeta because it's clearly caught on to some degree and you can give them the more for-gundam-fans stuff. You also missed the 2001 dub of MSG, indicating they pulled away from doing UC for a few years after airing a 70s show in 2001 didn't go over that well.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 20, 2024

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Meanwhile, the Gundam in Victory loses limbs like it's being paid for it. Interesting contrast when looking back.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 2, 2024

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Nessus posted:

A hack would probably also make it out like the aliens are responsible for the Fed/Zeon conflict, as opposed to simply showing up or possibly using the chaos as cover for -- whatever they want to do.

i see you too had hopes that last season's metallic rouge would be a good television show.

about gundam tho, i think it would fit better in late UC with a more diasporic humanity and newtypey high weirdness, which also sidesteps any potentiality for zeonic alien mind control

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

it's weird that the first AU was the most actually an AU in the way we might otherwise think of it, working the franchise themes into a totally different set of genre tropes. do more of that

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

g gundam is good tho?

also since i'm deep into a victory rewatch, for me the standout was surprisingly less how phallic the space laser was as that the firing mechanism is just a gun someone stuck into the console

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

the #1 reason we didn't get more witch is literally nobody gets a 50 episode run anymore outside of yearly tokusatsu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

And Gwitch was pretty conclusively ended in its run, its not got much else to go on. :\

unless.

Somehow Prospera has returned.

I mean the setting is still all hosed up with corpostates and a permanent earthnoid underclass. we haven't even seen on screen what conditions on other planets are like. more gundams can happen in that kind of setup