Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Caught up.

I love this thread. Star Citizen wishes it could be half as entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Star Citizen thread is going down. The conspiracy has spoken, the fix is in. A shining light on these forums, soon to be extinguished by a cabal that could not stand the shadows it cast.

Farewell my friends. See you... in the 'Verse.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm legitimately curious whose information he's going to dig up.

Be prepared for the blogging of a lifetime.

e: Catte tax:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Wait, what? When did this happen?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Wow, Derek is the king of friendly fire.

Thank you for summarizing, I missed that particular series entirely.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

You know it's interesting, there are definitely at least two streams of leaks out of CIG and they both remind me of how I talk about projects. One is how I talk about stuff to close friends- kind of bitter about stupid management decisions, terrified that the shoddy engineering is going to come back to bite us at the next publish, everybody but me is a flaming incompetent, etc. etc.

The other is how I talk about stuff to people outside my personal circle- projecting confidence, everything's going great, it'll all be done in the next week so shut up and go away and let me get back to work, why yes marketing person I would love to implement the new feature that you just sold without consulting my team!

I think that's pretty typical and neither really gives the full picture- you can't take either one and say that it is, in its' entirety, the picture of what is going on inside a company or project. What I like about theAgent is that he clearly gets both types of feedback, and uses his own judgement to kind of piece together a picture of what's actually going on inside the company that is right more often than not. What I like about MoMA is that he completely disregards the negative stuff, if he gets it at all and isn't just being given the "Outsider" line, and assumes that everything is fantastic. You'd make an excellent middle manager, MoMA.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Pilz posted:

Y'know, if he had 50 hours and the horizons shitstorm was just going down, I'd probably side with him, but c'mon man. Hasn't E:D been getting better since that fuckup?

It isn't really built like classic MMOs or even classic space games- there's a huge grind without any clear goal aside from some of the larger ships, no story or progression to speak of, and a lot of obscure stuff happening in the background econ sim that the player doesn't really get to interact with, which can make the whole game seem really stiff and boring. There are a billion star systems, but you can literally sit yourself down in any of a thousand well populated ones and never leave it again without missing out on any of the experience. Frontier has built it to be a game where players make their own fun, rather than having clear paths presented to them, and I don't think that really jives with what players expect from a big multiplayer title anymore. Personally I think it's just a great sandbox to jump into and chill for an hour or two, once in a while. If it were my go-to game for socializing, though, I'd probably hate it.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So apparently CIG has been doing updates every day with new ships, and they've actually been releasing videos to go with them. For reasons that escape anyone they only post the videos on their site, but they're all basically Space Jeremy Clarkson talking about the various manufacturers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMGs63MsSBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FSFjR0p4Z8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eKotGpwjbE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxJj-Tkp8P4

Some previously unseen ships are seen in the background, like the Starfarer Gemini (a tanker with a giant fuckoff missile launcher) and the Drake Caterpillar (the one that apparently turns into a portable strip club).

You would think CIG would put all of these assets into a level players could walk around or something.

It kind of looks like they have a level for it.

A great big space-car dealership level.

I feel like someone told us something about that, at one point.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

God, that endeavor sale was a year ago. How many years do you think they can go with literally no updates on a ship that they sold for hundreds of dollars, before people start to think maybe they were scammed?

I'd say the Banu Merchantman is the current front runner, on sale two years ago and absolutely zero information since then. The caterpillar was sold at the kickstarter but they've at least pretended they're working on it since then.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Do you think maybe the redditors are mad at TheAgent because he actually seems to get leaks? I kind of get the feeling that internal sources dried up for all of the super creepy stalkfans a year or so ago, and even the cringey face to face meetings that they used to get if they paid the big bucks have ended. I could be totally wrong about that because I don't really read the sub anymore, but it fits my preconceived biases and makes me feel a little better inside so I'm going to roll with it.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

peter gabriel posted:

What a delightful tapestry of characters this thread is, long may it thrive

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beer: "You fell!"

Ganderek: "Through fire. And water. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought him, the Catfish of Norway. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the thread. Bans took me then. And I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead, and every day was as long as the life age of the earth. But it was not the end. I felt light in me again. I've been sent back until my task is done."

Beer: "Derek!"

Ganderek: "Derek? Oh yes. That's what they used to call me. Derek the Warlord. That was my name. I am Ganderek the White. And I come back to you now, at the extinction level event. One stage of your journey is over, another begins. War has come to Something Awful. We must ride to discord with all speed."

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

So when the thread gets closed down because the last 500 pages have been nothing but off-topic slapfighting, obvious bait posts and people being baited by same, people angry about badposting who themselves only ever badpost, and generally just one long unmitigated aspergers-fueled scream of internet rage, are we still going to blame FAU? I think it's very important to know who we're going to blame for our complete inability to rein it the gently caress in.

P.S. I wasn't here when :fuzzknot: got banned but she seemed like a pretty well balanced and generally okay person prior to that.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Marching Powder posted:

Opinions consistent with the type of person that jumps back in for two and a half grand when 2.0 dropped

What is your actual goal here, at this point? At one point you had some kind of internal coherency in that you were trying to shame people into shitposting less, but now you're perpetuating it and taking a swing at anyone who comes around. If you're just trying to send it off topic enough that it gets canned, I guess that's consistent with what you're doing? Otherwise, it just seems like you're having a bad time lately- you should take it easy, let go and laugh a little. Pull up a chair, my friend. Let's rap about it.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

spacetoaster posted:

I accept the challenge. I'm setting up the cookie production pipeline right now.

I want you all to know that I'm a visionary. I'll be doing things that nobody else is doing in the cookie business. Using such ingredients as butter and sugar and such as such.

Prepare for the BDCE.

You've pledged your taste buds to earn your Citizenchips.

Now it's our turn.

We, the Choc Chipizen team at DSNABA, hereby promise to deliver the cookies you expect. You, the tens of dozens of readers, have allowed us to cut out Big Cookie and build these cookies on our terms. To let us focus on quality free of the pressure to deliver now, or ever. To nurture a new original baked IP. To put taste ahead of logic, consistency, or ethics.

We, the Baker, intend to treat you with the same respect we would give an investor. You will receive regular updates about the progress of our cookies. We will do a show and tell for each major milestone. Your voice will be heard and represented in our development docs and our feature wish list. You will see art and video and learn about how we intend to implement baked good mechanics well before the rest of the world. The website will be updated and the community will be maintained. Though the limitations of technology may slow us, we will always do the best for you: if it breaks, we will fix it.

There may be delays and there may be changes; we recognize that such things are inevitable and would be lying to you if we claimed otherwise. But when this happens, we will treat you with the respect you deserve rather than spending your clicks on public relations. When we need to change a recipe or alter something you believe should be in the cookie, we will tell you exactly why.

Your support over the past day has been incredible. You've done your part, and now we will do our utmost to live up to your expectations. We will build you the cookie you are dreaming about.

Signed,
Sarsapariller and the Choc Chipizen team.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sarsapariller posted:

You've pledged your taste buds to earn your Citizenchips.

Now it's our turn.

We, the Choc Chipizen team at DSNABA, hereby promise to deliver the cookies you expect. You, the tens of dozens of readers, have allowed us to cut out Big Cookie and build these cookies on our terms. To let us focus on quality free of the pressure to deliver now, or ever. To nurture a new original baked IP. To put taste ahead of logic, consistency, or ethics.

We, the Baker, intend to treat you with the same respect we would give an investor. You will receive regular updates about the progress of our cookies. We will do a show and tell for each major milestone. Your voice will be heard and represented in our development docs and our feature wish list. You will see art and video and learn about how we intend to implement baked good mechanics well before the rest of the world. The website will be updated and the community will be maintained. Though the limitations of technology may slow us, we will always do the best for you: if it breaks, we will fix it.

There may be delays and there may be changes; we recognize that such things are inevitable and would be lying to you if we claimed otherwise. But when this happens, we will treat you with the respect you deserve rather than spending your clicks on public relations. When we need to change a recipe or alter something you believe should be in the cookie, we will tell you exactly why.

Your support over the past day has been incredible. You've done your part, and now we will do our utmost to live up to your expectations. We will build you the cookie you are dreaming about.

Signed,
Sarsapariller and the Choc Chipizen team.

A preview of our first cookie, the DSNABA Big-Ol' RocketShip

The DSNABA Big-Ol' RocketShip comes standard with a Tyler R23 sugar matrix, containing four TR5 and eight TR3 chip clusters, providing outstanding taste and fidelitous mouthfeel in any
condition the dining room can throw at you. Four additional baked good modifier slots can give you that extra edge in crispness, moisture, or baking time that make the Big-Ol' Rocketship a truly customized eating experience.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Samizdata posted:

I can't wait to see the cookie JPeGs of my dreams.

Now when I wrote the pledge- when we showed that in the thread, earlier today, we said we hoped the cookies would be out of the oven "Some time," but "Don't hold me to that" was what I actually said. We did the update earlier today, and obviously people have been waiting a long time for these cookies. A large amount of the company, especially now, has been working on them. We've got extra help from the German bakers, which is a bunch of pastry experts. I've got a build on my plate with both the Choc Chips and the fidelitous mouthfeel, so I'm actually actually helping out with the baking a bit. But we didn't want to give a date because, well, we don't want the cookies to get burnt by that.

In reality, we're probably weeks off. We're shooting to have the dough in the pan round-about Christmas or slightly after New Years. We're really talking about people getting to eat these cookies in a matter of 3, 4, maybe 5 weeks.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

HycoCam posted:

We support you completely and know you need the extra time to polish the cookies. After all better to release nothing at all rather than a bad cookie. Some Japanese backer taught us that...

Samizdata posted:

As long as I can be sure you are all up night baking, saving us from the tyranny of bakeries like Keebler (who keep releasing the same cookies year after year), I am willing to wait as long as it takes. In fact, put me down for a Lesnick Pack! (Also, do any of them come with LTI, so, when I eat them, I get a base model of the same cookie for free?)

Beet Wagon posted:

you're expertly triggering my crowdfunding ptsd commando

The Big Ol' Rocketship Is Dead: Long Live The Big Ol' Rocketship!

The team at DSNABA is currently building the first cookie platters for Bakery 42, the culinary experience that will launch you into the Choc Chipizen universe. The bakery's menu calls for the customer to start the meal with a smaller baked good. We assigned them the Big Ol' Rocketship, the scrappy little cookie with a fierce bite already designed and presented to you. Unfortunately, this necessitated some refactoring of the pipelines.

Working from the Big Ol' Rocketship for this piece seemed like a natural fit… until the team whiteboxing the interior found that the original concept was not sized to fit with the chocolate chips. Since the BOR would need to carry multiple chocolate chips (in both Bakery 42 and the persistent universe) they needed to expand the surface area. Other additions, necessary as we learned exactly how a cookie would function, necessitated more inside: greebles for better chewing, TR6 flavor clusters to replace the TR5's and so on. The Big Ol' Rocketship needed to get bigger and better!

In the end, the cookie was a full hundred meters longer and a much more imposing meal than the light snack we originally imagined. As such, we have made the decision to reclassify it. The Big Ol' Rocketship is now a pie, and existing fiction will be updated to reflect this change wherever possible. We are not removing BOR's from anyone’s inventories; everyone who owned BOR cookie yesterday owns a BOR pie today. I’m hoping existing backers will be happy: you’re ending up with twice the baked good you pledged for!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sarsapariller posted:

*snip* Expanded scope message *snip*
Choc Chipizen has inspired a degree of skepticism since day one, given that it’s one of the most ambitious cookies ever proposed. However, a recent delay to its first-person edibles module—which would’ve let backers try out cookie functionality long before the product's full release—busted the dam on a new wave of worry. Some fans voiced anxiety over how it seemed like new pie-in-the-stars features were taking precedence over actually releasing something. Addressing those topics in a post on Choc Chipizen's thread, Roberstperiller wrote that, yes, Choc Chipizen's scope has expanded significantly since its first drive around noon yesterday. But he set out to make one of the most ambitious cookies ever, and what’s the point of that if you’re not going as big and grandiose as you possibly can? He wrote:

"Choc Chipizen matters BECAUSE it is big, because it is a bold dream. It is something everyone else is scared to try. You didn’t back Choc Chipizen because you want what you’ve seen before. You’re here and reading this because we are willing to go big, to do the things that terrify bakers. You’ve trusted us with your views so we can build a cookie, not line our pockets. And we sure as hell didn’t run this campaign so we could put those views in the bank, guarantee ourselves a profit and turn out some flimsy replica of a cookie I’ve made before. You went all in supporting us and we’ve gone all in making the cookies. Is Choc Chipizen today a bigger goal than I imagined in the halcyon days of 11/28/2016? Absolutely. Is that a bad thing? Absolutely not: it’s the whole drat point."

He added, however, that the team isn’t doing stretch goals anymore, and that they’ve got a road map of modules to release and improve upon ahead of knitting everything together with the long-awaited baking universe.

"Sentient bread, capable of eating itself, which will be available shortly, is the module for backers to experience and give their feedback on the edibles component of the game. Not long after that we will be releasing the next level of Pizza Commander, allowing customers with bigger pies to eat them with friends, in diners that are closer in size to the huge ones you’ll have in the final release. Then we’re rolling out aspects of the baking universe: first there will be just planet side environments to explore, but not long after you’ll be able to transition to space and eat among the stars, and then after that in other galaxies. We have taken this route to allow people to experience and give feedback to make the cookies better as we build them."

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 29, 2016

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_engineering

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Fatkraken posted:

SHOW US THE COOKIES

It is still in the pipeline.

I do actually kind of like to say something because I sort of get annoyed sometimes when I see this pop up in comments like “Oh cookies are cancelled or where’s Sentient Bread!?” Sentient Bread was just a baked good for people to eat the flour-based elements of Choc Chipizen until we could combine everything together: Flying, walking around, eating, doing all the rest of the stuff, all together, that is what is in reality 2.0, that’s what is reality 2.1.

With CC Alpha 2.0 onwards, you have basically what we were planning to do from Choc Chipizen and from the very very beginning. If you could go back and look at the original pitch we didn’t say “Hey we’re doing Sentient Bread“ť We said we will have flour-based elements and cookies, well you have flour-based elements and you have cookies right now and so what’s really happening is there will not be features that will only be for Sentient Bread outside a sort of competition mode and scoring that isn’t going to be in the game and so we’re actually rolling out the Sentient Bread features.

E:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Choc Chipizen Employees Speak Out on Project Woes

Following my recent op-ed, titled "Eject! Eject! Is Choc Chipizen Going to Crash and/or Burn?" a number of sources, comprised of both current and former employees of Derek Smart's Nightmare Autism Battle Arena, reached out to discuss troubling revelations about the state of the company. We have agreed to protect their identities, as well as to give them an opportunity to share their accounts. From inappropriate managerial conduct to fund mismanagement, here is the story from those who lived it. Nine people reached out to us - two were completely anonymous and were used to corroborate information. The seven quoted below identified themselves, but will be referenced by number (CS1, CS2, etc.) at their request.

Before jumping in, it is important to appreciate the gravity of this situation. Mod challenges are a necessity for smaller independent threadgoers to both break into the shitposting industry and to present a unique baking experience when they don't have the luxury of AAA backing. While there are no guarantees with accepting a challenge, Lowtax has set a precedent by holding those accepting accountable for any improper behaviors and misrepresentation in regards to promised deliveries.

AMBITION MAY BE CHOC CHIPIZEN'S GREATEST FLAW

Several Sources posted:

It's never been done because it can't be done.
- Several sources

Choc Chipizen is an ambitious space cookie from industry veteran Sarsaperoberts. The cookie began as a passion project, drawing inspiration from Little Debbie and Pizza Hut's giant disgusting desert cookies. Choc Chipizen promised a triumphant return to the space-cookie genre by combining a huge bakery with multiple menu options, a massive variety of baked goods, and no subscription fees. The demand was immediately overwhelming. More than two or three in-thread responses were posted within a day, blowing past the original "Just don't probate me" goal.

Previously, DSNABA claimed that the high cost of the shitposts was intended to allow them to meet a November 2016 release date while still adding additional content. "The purpose of the stretch goals is to ensure that the cookie-as-described is finished in the one week time period," the Choc Chipizen FAQ from the original post, last updated absolutely never, reads. "We intend to build the cookie that Sarsaperoberts described in his posts regardless, but without additional quote responses we are going to have to do it one piece at a time, starting with Spaceship Pizza, rather than as a single larger production. With more funding we can include more breads, pies, eateries, and cinematic sequences."

According to several former employees and industry veterans, the reason Choc Chipizen is so popular is because it's never been done. And, they continue, the reason it has never been done is because it can't be done - at least, not with a few emptyquotes.

"$90m for what he's pitching, even with a competent leadership, you couldn't do," CS1 said. "The thing you have to remember about Sarsaperoberts is that, before this, he hadn't cooked a goddamn thing in 12 years. He has no concept of what can and can't be done today with that amount of attention, or for a cookie like this. Sarsaperoberts hadn't made a cookie in 12 years, and he was actively ignoring the input of people who have been in and a part of the industry that entire time."

To this, Sarsaperoberts says: "How do you or they know this? Which employees said this and what makes them qualified to make that judgement? I know it's what MOMA loves to say but he couldn't make a good cookie with $200m so I don't think his opinion matters. Outside of that, no employee beyond me and a few other key people who are leading Choc Chipizen would have the appropriate information and overview to make any judgement about the cost of the total project. Secondly, the company uses additional sources of funding such as tax incentives, marketing and product partnerships, but we do not discuss these issues in public for obvious reasons. We always keep a healthy cash reserve and operate our business prudently based on the incoming revenue. It should tell you something that we are actually increasing our global headcount not decreasing it."

Over concerns that he is not responding to advice from workers, Sarsaperoberts writes "I have a very strong vision for Choc Chipizen, which is why I believe we have been quoted to the level we have. I have no doubt what we can achieve. Now that most of the base technology is in place we will be able to get with the Sentient Bread and Space Pizza milestone a food experience that will allow you to seamlessly go from foot, to eating a fully realized pizza with your friends, take off, fly thousands or millions of km in space, exit your ship in EVA and consume an entire loaf of living, thinking bread, engage in cookie consumption, return to your ship, purge in the space bathroom and return to your home base to share the tales of your adventures with your other friends. All with no loading screens, all at AAA first person fidelity that you can't even get on a next gen console. This is the core of the Space Pizza and Choc Chipizen experience that we will continue to iterate on and add content to, but even the first release will be more "Bakery" than most commercially released goods. In terms of not listening to the advice of people that have worked in the industry that is not true. I have a very strong executive management and design team with huge experience in baked goods that all contribute to the decision making of the company. I listen to everyone - from our top level all the way through to our QA testers and community giving feedback on taste and ingredients. I care and want to build the best game possible. Now that doesn't mean I agree with everyone's opinions and feedback as a project director I owe it to the community to stay true to my vision and pick the things that I think will make the cookies better which can occasionally lead to people feeling disgruntled, which I suspect is the root of this "concern"."

"IT WAS INCREDIBLY TOXIC. I HAD TO GET OUT."

CS3 posted:

"I couldn't take it. It was by far the most toxic environment I have ever worked in."
-CS3
According to several sources, being an employee of DSNABA meant subjecting yourself to public insults, screaming, profanity, racism, and stress so powerful that some people would become physically ill.

"I realized it was affecting my health, my home life. I needed to get out. So I left. I had no job lined up. I just had to get out. I looked at my situation, I had enough in savings, so I left," CS3 told me. "I couldn't take it. It was by far the most toxic environment I have ever posted in. No one had clear direction about how to do their posting well. No one was empowered to do their posting well. Everything was second guessed, and the default reaction to everything was blame and yelling and emails with all capital letters and curse words."

It was also alleged that Sarsaperoberts' husband and DSNABA Director of Sperging Derek Smart enforced discriminatory hiring practices. CS1 reported that they were instructed to, first, check the education field on a prospective poster's resume. If too much time had passed, Smart reportedly informed people not to send them an invite to discord, because "they may be over 40, which makes them a protected class and harder to doxx." It was also claimed that Smart used disability as a determining factor in selecting targets, allegedly once saying "We aren't doxxing him. We aren't doxxing a crippled guy." Then he doxxed the crippled guy anyway.

In addition to Smart's alleged conduct, many felt they were required to be on constant guard when addressing Sarsaperoberts as well.

CS3 stated that it wasn't uncommon practice to round up four or five people to review a post intended for Roberts, to make sure there was nothing potentially upsetting in the wording. "His immediate response to everything was to insult people, and accuse everyone of being idiots," he said. "It was like the Eye of Sauron. You never wanted to say anything in an email or a meeting that would bring the Eye of Sauron on you. He couldn't control his temper, and had no problem making a public scene of it."

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 30, 2016

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Raskolnikov posted:

These are very good. I think even matching powder is enjoying these posts.

TY, his opinion is of paramount importance to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I'm just glad that Star Marine is now out, and can enjoy the same level of robust developer support and community engagement that the PU has received for the last 14 months. Really looking forward to watching streamers play 6000 hours of it as some kind of weird self-flagellation in exchange for a half dozen views.

• Locked thread