Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Larryb posted:

No clue honestly, he wrote a few episodes for Season 11 but that’s the most recent thing on his profile as far as I can tell

I always assumed he was persona non grata to everyone after writing/voicing the Mallon cartoons, but him showing up again in season 11 kind of throws a wrench in that theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

robot roll call posted:

you know it's spring when the executioners start getting in the house...

TEE HEE, TEE HEE

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

It's funny, I first saw Overdrawn at the Memory Bank unriffed, on SciFi about a year before they started carrying MST3K. Teen me seemed to think it was fine?

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

I was thinking about this special hosted by Penn Jillette, and thankfully it's been preserved for posterity!

https://youtu.be/TH7dxROgpK4?si=jn65OpAijC8G8TZY

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

The best course forward was to give the cast an opportunity to expand their horizons while participating on the show ("Jonah's directing now!") while also bringing in some new talent and giving them a crash course in the niche space in which they were opportunity, one in which they could receive real-time feedback and have a real trial-by-fire.

I just finished season 13 last night, and this is definitely the vibe I got from it. Sometimes it felt like a riffing internship program, in the sense that there are a ton of new actors, writers, et al contributing to the series now.

Just to be clear, I loved this season! I laughed my rear end off, I'm already attached to all the new actors, I even teared up a little when I saw they used the original hallway sequence for Joel's episodes. I just worry that the money isn't there to keep the whole circus going. But I chipped in what I could, so all I can do now is hope for the best.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Between the two, I understand building the Gizmoplex more than leaving Kickstarter. After getting axed by Netflix and then watching the various streaming platforms cannibalize their back catalogs, I'd be very leery of giving any of those vultures my show. I'm not aware of any big controversies with KS though, did something happen?

This is from a while back, but thanks to whoever name-dropped Catalina Caper! I don't think I'd ever seen it before, and it was excellent. IME seasons 1 and 2 tend to be more mellow, but that one's pretty snappy (especially in the first act).

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

But honestly Nicholson was getting references in Tiny Toons and Animaniacs, he’d just been the Joker

Also in Aladdin and Rescue Rangers, and a bunch of others I've forgotten. So many people were doing Nicholson impressions that Dennis Miller had a whole bit griping about it!

Anyway, back on topic... So do you think they'll refund everyone, or hang onto the money and try a second round of fundraising?

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

first time using Shout TV to watch MST3K and not even one episode in, I get an ad talking solely about Hamas being evil. also a lot of ads about hepatitis c??

That's wild, especially since both classic and current episodes have jokes about Israeli militarization. FWIW I got ads about Heifer and cancer/hearing loss screenings, but I have no idea why that discrepancy exists.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

I do think it's worth remembering that Cinematic Titanic struggled because everyone lived in different parts of the country; even if Joel figured out how to smooth things over with Trace and Frank, scheduling conflicts might prevent them from doing much besides cameos. And even then it could require more green screening, which I know a lot of people dislike.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

drat, didn't even make it to the sex number

ah well, better luck next time

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Pershing posted:

Yeah, and it's taken some of the magic out of Turkey Day too. If every day is Turkey Day, why bother?

I know it wasn't official, but after clubmst3k I think that horse was already out of the barn. Still, Turkey Day is always going to have higher participation numbers than any other time of year.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Make-A-Face: Design your own face!

Man that guy's got a little face...

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Chalk me up as another person who thinks S13 was the current cast and crew coming into their own. The Netflix seasons were just fine, and I think Mac and Me/The Day Time Ended are destined to be classics, but the Gizmoplex incarnation wowed me over and over again. If we don't get any more seasons then at least we have a good final episode, but I'm eager to see that new fundraiser page.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

I think so. It's also got the rubber band stuff.

Frank's "HE'S A SORCEROR!!" still cracks me up just thinking about it.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

I was just thinking of this one, it's so good

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

I leave for 20 minutes and EvilCo is in *shambles*

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

You had the misfortune of running into me, I'm a life-wrecking idiot :smuggo:

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Failson posted:

I still haven't watched the Cinematic Titanic version, I should fix that.

It's really good! The original will always be nostalgic for me, but the CT version sold me on the idea that it's possible to re-riff something and still make it hilarious.

(Hope your holiday fog lifts soon!)

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Special effects by BILLY! :v:

hands down one of my all-time favorite riffs, Trace's delivery :kiss:

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

'God is dead?' GOOD!!

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

I have all the Fontanelles' tracks from the Hobgoblins soundtrack in my music library, they range from decent to awesome. You really can't go wrong with a song called Hayride to Hell, and yes I did spend my teens hanging out by the Hot Topic

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

The one I have genuine trouble with is The Incredibly Strange etc. and how they just punch down on that one lady.

:same:

Say what you will about the new seasons, it's nice that they dialed way down on the bigotry.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

zoux posted:

They make a couple of Spalding Gray jokes over the course of the series.

Do tell! I used to watch Monster in a Box and Terrors of Pleasure over and over again as a kid, but I don't remember catching any references in MST3K.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Tom's incredulous "*gasp* No..." when the human scientists remark on the Metalunans' foreheads is perfect in its simplicity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Warning the breakfast syrup

Yum.