Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Arachnid was pretty tasteless-bad, so I’d advise approaching Killing Bites with caution. Be interesting to see what Yuasa does with Devilman, though - Go Nagai’s works tend to be best as platforms for others to build on, since the base material is... uhh... kinda rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

Devilman is something Nagai put effort into instead of just churning out a volume of manga to be the basis for or marketing of an anime.

In fact I'd go as far to say it's the best Nagai manga.

Yeah, but it’s still pretty ropey in places. I mean, Ryo basically wears the exact same expression through most of the first few chapters, like a Tim Buckley character.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

By "going places" are we talking Samurai Flamenco or Valvrave?

Yes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

That's because he's stoned.

Yeah, but Nagai could at least draw his stoned face from a few different angles.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Ryo what the hell

Guess the designers are playing up the androgyny.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Nobody would know that's a spoiler if you didn't spoiler tag it.

Eh, better to be safe than sorry.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

hopefully franxx will be less disappointing

Wonder if it’s more or less likely to end with heavily-implied bisexual polyamory?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The artstyle in Sora Yori had an interesting effect that might have been intentional - the characters looked much more natural and integrated with their environment in the Antarctica scenes than in the Japan ones. Given the themes of the first episode, that fitted pretty well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Kemonozume feels way less psychotic than Devilman Crybaby. Devilman Crybaby feels like the producers told Yuasa "Here are your drugs. Do all of them", and Yuasa was all too happy to oblige, spending the majority of the production process either taunting Okouchi and calling him dumb names, like "Arse Geass", "Linkin Lelouch" and "MOÉ ENTHUSIAST" or having some of the most revealing moments of clarity he ever had in his life and declared "Let's make Uncle Go proud and make Urobuchi look like an utter poser!".

It really is just a case of them looking at the source material and trying to find ways to make it do what Nagai wanted to do better. Even the loose, hallucinatory artstyle is in-keeping with the original manga - the only difference is that it’s more deliberate and deployed more professionally (not to say that it was all accidental on Nagai’s part, obviously, but let’s be honest here, he was always more about the ideas than the execution). They even managed to translate over the original’s weird, shitposty sense of humour, which is no mean feat - the way comic timing works in anime is drastically different from the way it works in manga.

The fact that it all turned out completely batshit insane is simply a demonstration of a successful adaptation of batshit insane source material.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kashuno posted:

Is Devilman Crybaby good

If you have specific tastes, it will match them. You may well not.

Basically, how does a pessimistic, grimdark anime with tits, rear end, gore, and a weird sense of humour sound to you? Because it’s a very good one of those.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/b0bduh/status/951495740941053953

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Killing Bites author’s other work, Arachnid, had a lot of out-of-left-field rapey stuff (and I mean a lot - it ended with a rape zombie apocalypse overrunning Japan), so yeah, I wouldn’t bet that’s the last you’ll see of that sort of thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Motto posted:

I'm sickly curious, what exactly does this mean?

Exactly what it sounds like. A regular zombie apocalypse, but rather than dead people, they’re brainwashed rape-machines.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Franxx did at least have ‘yes, these kids are in an actual death-cult’ to spice things up a little. Hopefully they lean into that and have the characters start to question the base premises they’re operating under a little more.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Keijo, uhhh...

There's got to be more that I'm not thinking of at the moment.

e: Simoun!

I mean, you do wonder about the Major sometimes...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Thor-Stryker posted:

All Assassins literally have this sickness.

That's why it's a trope when you get an Assassin with a heart.

You missed the joke, dude.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jng2058 posted:

Wait, what's that last one?

Violet Evergarden.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
More details. It’s apparently a futuristic, anime-original spin-off of the classic boxing manga Ashita no Joe, with direction by the Woman Called Fujiko Mine lead animator, writing by the guy who did the Fist of the North Star movies, and music by mabanua, who were responsible for the Kids on the Slope soundtrack.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mercrom posted:

New Godzilla is bad. Animation is bad. Writing is bad too. Urobuchi has really been phoning it in since Psycho-Pass.

Hey, Thunderbolt Fantasy was pretty clearly a labour of love.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

Pairing down my list for this season to just Pop Team Epic, Citrus probably Darling in the FranXX, might pick up Laidback Camp and Mitsuboshi Colors tho. Weirdly A Place Further Than The Universe sounds too lowkey highkey for me if that makes sense

Been rewatching old stuff tho which is kinda lame, but sometimes it be like that

important question, which kind of thirsty

Place Further than the Universe is funny as hell. Watch it if you like fun.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RottenK posted:

is this from the bahamut anime?

It is, yes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Very shaft-stylish

Yep - if you ever wanted a Fate show with the look and atmosphere of Madoka, you’ve got it.

My only concern was that the art was unusually wonky for a first episode, which may be a bad sign for later. Whole lot of weirdly scrunched-up, low-detail faces in the mid-distance shots.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

So just like Madoka then

Well, kind of, but I don’t remember Dokes getting quite that bad that fast and that often.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Eh, it’s an unconventional description, but not a wholly inaccurate one. It’s not so much about gambling as it is about hanging out with terrifying ladies who you would like to step on you. It’s why the tension and menace tends to feel performative rather than real.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

and you dont post a link

Best OP of that season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTfyg6ON8go

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

well if it wasn't the fingernails, it would've been the masturbation scene. or when yumeko beats a girl and gives her such a verbal beatdown that she pisses herself

Of course, the thing about Kakegurui is that pretty much all the awful poo poo is threatened rather than shown. It’s very much about creating a fantasy of glamorous, vicious sleaze rather than letting the reality creep in. It’s why the CGDCT label isn’t actually as far off as you might think - it’s got about as much to do with Kaiji-style brutality as Girls und Panzer has to do with, say, Fury.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

So when i shoot dudes in video games I'm actually killing them with my dick? That's pretty gay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj7UfgWYHiY

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Space Flower posted:

i watched wing when i was like 4 and heero and the deathscythe guy were pretty gay

People always say this, and I don’t get it. The Berber prince and the ninja clown, sure, they were gay as hell, but Heero and Duo barely interacted.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

Graham and Billy from 00. Graham rules and is hella gay. Billy is a huge creep and terrible person.

Excuse you, Graham wants to gently caress robots. It’s not gay if they’re metal and eighteen metres tall.

The two girls getting married in IBO was already mentioned, but it’s also implied that a couple of the Tekkadan boys have started dating after one of them got over his long-term crush getting killed. Which is a nice way of softening the blow of what would otherwise be a fairly standard gay tragedy subplot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's probably a reference to the racing game series, though, as well as the Char Aznable in-joke.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

kater posted:

Yeah it's like... the parts don't add up to the whole. I can't think of anything I don't like about it, except the whole thing is just kinda... not great. But thinking about it it is obviously great with so many great things.

I mean, the Sexy Anime Hitler romance is a pretty obvious flaw.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

the sexy demon guy with the blue lipstick is really hot imo

Would’ve made a better love interest, too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Eela6 posted:

Keijo is the best sports anime I have ever seen*

*(I have not watched a lot of sports anime)

If you haven’t, watch Girls und Panzer. No, seriously.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

What was there

Puppetmaster poo poo about how he brought up Keijo to own the ADTRW nerds.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wark Say posted:

So you're saying that she's secretly Kenpachi?

:thejoke:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, at least golf has more interesting and varied geography than baseball.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

apocrypha has mordred (cute boy), atalante (cute girl,) and astolfo (cute,)

I thought Mordred hated being called a boy in addition to hating being called a girl?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So Garo did what it’s been promising to do for several episodes now and went full Mad Max.

It was pretty rad.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Alder posted:

RIP Netoju thread.

I guess gassing it would have been a bit on-the-nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Depends on what you're looking for. A Place Further Than The Universe has been a great character dramedy. YuruCamp's been a great therapy show. Magus Bride's pretty interesting.

FTFY. It’s got its serious bits, and they’re very well-executed, but it’s also funny as hell.

• Locked thread