Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

There but for the grace of Caroline Calloway go I.

(Where "grace" is standing in for "having never heard of".)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The Little Death posted:

You want something really brain melting, check this out:

https://babelia.libraryofbabel.info/

It's an archive of every possible combination of pixels in a 416x640 image, with 4096 colours. It contains, in some version, depictions of all works of art, from the past, present and future, images of every person or animal who has, is, or will ever live, and every great work of writing, since it will generate images of text as well. You can use a search function to find a picture your already have in the archive, but there's no way to search it otherwise.

:psyduck: My brain can't decide whether this is trivial or profound. I suppose it all depends on how you choose to look at it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

luxury handset posted:

this happened to me once

i had gotten really high, cosmically high, and decided to walk to the store to get ice cream. it was around twilight. as i'm walking there's this dude across the street in his yard looking at the sky. he sees me and yells "hey! yo! wanna see something cool? cmere!" and i'm like, eh, what the hell, worst thing i can see is his dick. so i go over and he points at the sky and just says watch there and starts counting down from 25, looking from his phone to the sky. a bright light appears and fades off over the span of a few seconds, it was the reflection of the sun off a passing satellite's solar panels. made my night. thanks random space nerd neighbor

One Halloween we had the idea of taking my big old Dobsonian telescope out to the sidewalk (along with the big bowl of candy, of course) and letting all the kids going by have a look at the Moon. Unfortunately it turns out kids don't really trick-or-treat after dark anymore, so barely anyone came along. :smith:

But a year or two later I went along on an observing camping trip, and quite by chance there was an entire cub scout troop camped right next door. So they all got to look through a bunch of scopes and binoculars at planets and galaxies and nebulae, all narrated by us amateur astronomers gesturing at the sky with our green laser pointers. :unsmith:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

did anyone ever track down this paper because I have been wondering for ages (I assume his "other work" is, in fact, his other mathematical work, and this is citing a paper in his off-field, rather than his being the Unabomber)

Sounds to me like you're assuming that :thejoke: isn't :thejoke:.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

"Cyber" is my favorite anti-shibboleth: when someone uses that term, chances are very good they have no loving idea what they're talking about when it comes to any computer-related topic.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Inceltown posted:

Guess I'm going to have to find a new way of saying "cyber sex with my big tiddy cyber goth girlfriend" now.

I meant using "cyber" as a standalone term.

Apologies to you and to your girlfriends cyber-tiddies.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Platystemon posted:

This thread is dangerously close to uncovering the meaning behind my name.

"Platystemon" is a brand of video game consoles produced by Sony.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

These roles can exchange based on who the celebrity is.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

CDs fail after 20 years

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

cds and dvds only have an expected shelf life of 5-10 years

Quick, someone plot these data points, fit a curve, and project the date that the total shelf lifetime of a CD will have been zero.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Pookah posted:

Ten Ton Tim

Set him on a fence post and he's Tip Top Tim

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Will someone please make dril the poet laureate of the US already

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

https://twitter.com/alyankovic/status/1588719949748776961

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Clerical Terrors posted:

Wait how is crashing your plane on purpose legal. Even if you crash it in the middle of nowhere that's still a problem somebody has to go out and fix.

Ironically enough, going back and "cleaning up" the crash site (removing and destroying the entire wreck) is exactly what he's in so much legal trouble for.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

King Carnivore posted:

What’s that thing where people try to babby hack or whatever? Like when they try to have their kid be born at a certain time of year so that they’ll be larger than their cohorts and more dominant in youth sports… baby gronk is that on steroids, probably literally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshirting_(academic) ?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Baby Gronk doo-doo doo-do do-doo Baby Gronk doo-doo doo-do do-doo Baby Gronk doo-doo doo-do do-doo Baby Gronk!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I've been saying for years now that dril would be an excellent choice for poet laureate of the US.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Captain Monkey posted:

https://twitter.com/hankgreen/status/1672777878826811395?s=46&t=LuWlVigXSHv3TXi-WVRPYA

Taking bets on what this is.

What it's almost certainly not: aliens, warp drives, time travel.

The upsilon-iota threshold value of the top quark has long been believed to be 1.61 ± 0.04 femtocoulombs, but recent results from Fermilab and CERN show that it could be much higher, perhaps as high as high as 1.68 femtocoulombs! :aaaaa:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEtSxqix0Po

"X... stands for Twitter!"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

If this really takes off and becomes the go-to app for everything like Elon wants, then future historians will come to refer to us as Generation X.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Snowmankilla posted:

I’m a teacher of 8th graders and this would be bane of my existence.

That's (flips coin) hilarious.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

bossy lady posted:

elon musk's new sign on twitter HQ is insanely bright / flashes. You can probably see it from space:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1685339679032287233

I must admit, I've never seen branded lens flare before.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Speaking of old Twitter logos/mascots, it's kind of weird that I haven't seen any memes with Elon as the Fail Whale.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I used to be an NPC like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee. :(

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

i know this thread doesnt do requests but you know that eurodance meme that was going around and everyone got mad cuz the blonde got replaced and then everyone said no actually that was the joke

when the hell did that happen

I watched trance and eurocheese in the late 90s all the time

someone post an example

The one from like a week ago? The original Tiktok is here and it blew up big enough to get some media mentions. But the original TikTok is less than a minute long, and apparently the full-length video will be replacing the creator's co-performer.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Holy poo poo, nine years later I discover how direct a parody this was? I've known Carpiss Bunson and Chris del Chris forever but I always figured it was just kind of a pastiche parody, not a direct edit of an actual... some kind of whatever this is?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Hmm... Radio Shack in what year? Because my answer will be different if we're talking about the worthless late-stage cellphone store that wants your full name and address to sell you a 4-pack of AAA batteries, or the cool little electronics shop that it was forty years ago.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

Costello: So what's the lineup for the classic rock festival?

Abbott: Well, The Guess Who is playing first, then The Who, then The Band.

Costello: Can you just tell me their names?

Abbott: I just told you!

Costello: Who's playing first?

Abbott: No they're on second, The Guess Who's on first.

Costello: Just tell me, I'm not going to guess the band that's playing first.

Abbott: They're playing third; we're not talking about them.

etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdqv5xIsFLM&t=13s

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I'd be happy to replace my newfangled switch-operated parking brake with an old-fashioned lever, and I miss having direct control of the heater temperature. Other than that, my new(-ish) car is great.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I have a friend who keeps ducks as pets and it's great because he's constantly got extra eggs to give away. Free breakfast! (Duck eggs taste similar to chicken eggs and can be prepared in all the same ways.)

It's just like your gardener friend who's always trying to get rid of all those zucchini, but higher in protein.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

is pro-hitler verification a special tier?

It's a little more stringent than amateur-hitler.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

It only recently dawned on me that Mr. Beast is a completely different person than L.A. Beast.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Read After Burning posted:

This is how I look when my partner refuses to roll another joint for me.

Also, someone please photoshop in his leaking hair dye.

There are some wonderful photoshops happening in the GBS Trump lol thread.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

It's been 14 years and I have still never heard anyone call the Sears Tower the "Willis Tower" without rolling their eyes and/or making the jackoff hand gesture.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Mauser posted:

A vampire Medusa would be really challenging

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

OP is a circle of fifths

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

syntaxfunction posted:

I'll be honest, this is still breaking my brain that this was said with such confidence.

Just wait until you find out about the 6/8 time signature.

What if waltz BUT FAST*

* Fast is optional.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Clearly what we need is an unambiguous binary musical notation which covers all use cases. Perhaps an AI could design it for us.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

There's nothing random about having a solid knowledge base about the elevator industry, it's a valuable life skill, and something to liven up any social occasion.

:haibrow: The "Elevator Hacking" talk is a fantastic place to start. Even if you've never given a poo poo about elevators, I bet you'll be entertained (and informed).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHf1vD5_b5I

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Coq au Nandos posted:

It’s a format that screams to viewers “I wasn’t confident enough that this would be funny to ask a friend to participate in it”. And it’s usually correct!

I refute you thus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZKcZbi1rg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Aramoro posted:

What's the point of that though? There's not some sort of secret cabal of organisers to infiltrate, it's just some students doing student things.

I could imagine the cops quietly sending someone into the crowd with a hidden cam to get close-up video of the people there, so that if they decide to charge someone after the fact, they'll have a much easier time identifying them. Like if they have a blurry video of a guy in a green shirt and leather jacket throwing a tear gas canister back at the cops, that isn't much to go on if they want to find that guy and make an example of him. But if they have videos from inside the crowd from earlier, there's a decent chance they'll have a good pic of the guy's face somewhere in there.

It's not as if it would cost them much to put a body cam on a youngish-looking guy in plain clothes and have him stroll through the protest a few times, but it might net them a bunch of helpful information if they decide to put the boot down.