Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The entirety of part 7 is two guys insane drive to win forcing them to go over and beyond themselves and everyone around them, including a lot of just straight up killing people to the point that a repeated motif for the protagonist is his eyes turning into black fire to signify what the literal texts calls 'a dark determination in his heart' and Ringo Roadagain's entire weight in the plot is to be the guy that radicalizes Gyro to step up to Johnny's level of suicidal drive to reach his goals, which (Johnny's not His) ultimately Ends up getting him killed

Ringo isn't presented as any more Noble or Right than any other Jo Jo MotW. His backstory is about as sympathetic as loving Axl RO's. The whole point of the fight is this insane gunman pushing Gyro to be more like him, the weirdo murder hermit who works for the villain and just shoots people for money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ryaomon posted:

I liked Vitamin C a lot too but there's been maybe 3 good scenes in this series and it's been going on for 8 years

when that's literally the only memorable thing from the past 4 months of chapters then maybe it's not very good

oh sorry i mean pickle riiiiick

You suck and your only posts in this thread have been just the most banal youtube comment tier crying posts.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Patware posted:

the really funny thing about determinedly posting that jojolion is bad is that nobody is really here saying that jojolion is extremely good

we're all here like 'yeah it's serviceable with some hilarious wild poo poo' and this guy's like "NO GODS NO KINGS"

Jojolion owns bones actually.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Asked a friend how far she'd gotten in Jojo last night and she said she'd just watched the Jenkem Boy episode

Stand Power is based on how strongly you believe in your own personal brand of insane bullshit and that kid is going to grow up to be a killer.

The Smashing glass to stand under it to prove to yourself luck is on your side is peak jojo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Part 8 was p. okay overall. Probably better than part 5 overall.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Relin posted:

https://yamapy.net/jojolion_mystery_summary/

big list with a bunch of araki's forgets/gently caress ups. he needs a new editor

"In # 99, it is said that the orchard of Mamekorei's father was destroyed by the attack of rock insects, but in # 75, the orchard went bankrupt due to the interference of his peers."

So...in the earlier chapter they say "Oh it went under because of business poo poo." and then they revealed "It went under because it was actually destroyed the secret rock insects that not everyone knows exist."

That's not a plot hole or a gently caress up. Please understand how stories work before you try to be Cinema Sins but for Jojo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Over in the anime thread someone said they think part 5's train fight is the best stand fight in the franchise and I think they might be right? There's a handful I'd argue you could put above it (Sugar Mountain/Tattoo You, California King Bed, Vitamin C, Civil war)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Best jojo fights IMO:
1: Sugar Mountain/Tattoo You (It's a fun puzzle fight that ends in a quick and brutal gunfight that's over in a flash and leaves us with such a sweet character moment for Gyro and Johnny)
2: Vitamin C
3: Civil War
4: Beetle Battle
5: California King Bed (the page of Daiya talking about wanting to kiss Josuke and make him love her that ends with a panel of Gappy just saying "How can I defeat her?" is peak JoJo writing IMO)
6: True Man's World
7: Part 4 Final Battle
8: Part 5 Train Battle
9: Part 3 Final Battle
10: White Album

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Patware posted:

it's VERY powerful stuff, CKB's in my toplist because the stakes are so weird

It's also a fight that only Gappy could be a victim of. Most jojo's are very Unhorny and Jolyne's too angry to get tricked like that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

zetamind2000 posted:

The fight gets a weird energy if you reread parts of it and forget that Daiya's blind. Key moments keep devolving into "wait why's Gappy doing that this doesn't make any loving sense"

Is she fully blind? I thought her eyesight was just incredibly bad.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Patware posted:

god imagine daiya trying to do her schtick to jotaro

I think it's funnier if it was with OG Josuke or Johnathan. Just two sweet boys going "Miss...miss please this is indecent."

Worst would be Johnny though. He'd just shoot her.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Patware posted:

you put josuke in and the whole battle is him perfectly avoiding fussing over daiya except okuyasu keeps using The Hand to try and wingman him like 'HELL YEAH BROTHER' having no idea he keeps making it worse and worse

It ends with Rohan walking in (Obviously looking for Koichi to get into more Shenanigans with) and seeing Josuke in a compromising position, giving Josuke enough shame to escape.

EDIT: Civil war is a fight I don't see get a lot of love for what I think gives us some all time moments. Gyro thinking about the teddy bears he's lost and torn as a sin, the guys whole backstory, Johnny's power up, the whole monologue the antagonist does. A perfect fight.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 17, 2021

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The part 6 ending is good and if you don't agree gently caress you!!!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Brandfarlig posted:

Add it to the list.

Also, is it just me or is Soft and Wet one of the worst stand names ? I haven't read part 8 so it probably fits pretty well but it sounds about as powerful/cool as a dishrag.

Soft and Wet is one of the best stand names.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

No Dignity posted:

I like when he can thread of the needle of Weird poo poo and Actual Coherent Plot. Part 8 feels kinda like when Lynch went too far and made Inland Empire to me

Part 8 is good you're right.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

ASBR got released in Japan today and fellas, I'm sad to say Petshop is at it again

https://twitter.com/LLon_Kim/status/1565025901024526337?s=20&t=u-HEdT47lqePr_LmsoCCEA

But if you close your eyes,
Does it almost feel like nothing changed at all?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Dragon's Dream is still garbage, but the visuals of Planet Waves at least make it interesting.

You people are gluttons who would not be happy with all the riches of heaven. You deserve nothing

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

zetamind2000 posted:

It is but changing the end of part six is the least they can do to make up for loving up the release

Bad take and idea

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The Pillar Men were frozen for hundreds of years and were released only a month prior to this panel. How does Kars know enough to make a Tarzan reference, did he catch a movie or something during that time

He read a lot of books in a month. He smart he read fast EZ answer please keep up

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Damo getting owned hard and fast by Hato rules actually.

I still think about the heel spike through the goddamn wall.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

There will be at least one Jimmy Buffet stand.

I'm hoping for Havana Daydreamin

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

You know, I dunno if anything on this cover (beyond the character itself) is meant to be taken seriously, but I find all the arrow imagery and the focus on primary colors to be interesting. Is his Stand power going to be reversing polarity or vectors or something like that? Even the shoulderpads are arrow-shaped.

Aren't these just boat signal flags?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Is Jodio the first Joestar with a sibling

Josuke 1 has a big sister and it's a goddamn travesty we never got to see them meet.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Also Jonathan had a brother.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

It won't and the only person with a punch stand will be the tingle looking freak

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Bisse posted:

Oh god she's gonna die then isn't she, like FF

Yeah just like all the other healers like...Josuke. And Giorno.

Please I beg you ADTRW be normal about a femme character in a story once instead of instantly creating conspiracies about how they're going to die unjustly or whatever.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Joshuu

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

he's not really lovable, i was glad when he melted into a loving puddle

Rohan in the original part 4 manga is constantly being a freak and a perv. The only reason he didn't get an even more intimate read about a teenage girls first menstruation was Koichi was there to shame him.

They're equally poo poo people. Rohan bridges that by being competent and determined. Joshuu bridges it being even more pathetic but determined.

The milargo man arc is just a Thus Spoke chapter for a reason and you can easily swap Rohan in.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Joshuu even hates the Josuke of the part and is obsessed with his own perceived friendship and relationship with the Hirose secondary protagonist.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

lih posted:

joshu is just terrible all around while rohan is at least endearingly weird

Yeah it's why joshuu is constantly owned in the funniest way and that's what makes him fun.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

November Rain has the ability to Piss with Great Force

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The restraint Araki had to hold off for the reveal in the last few panels. My god.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rohan can only ever be Rohan. No more no less.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

No Dignity posted:

If Araki wanted to do the sights of Italy he should have had it be an ongoing treasure hunt or something. Structuring the entire story as a series of fetch quests delivered out by NPC questgivers without any overriding purpose just makes the core of the story kinda hollow, nothing flows into the next thing and alot of the disgressions end up being pointless (like remember they have to go to Sardinia to find out Diavolo's identity, did that help *at all*?). There's still some cool fights and character scenes but because the grander plot they all tie into is just so filmsy it ends up being way less than the sum of its parts

Actually it's good.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Bisse posted:

Since we’re dissing on Part 5 i just want to mention my least favourite thing about it again. The main cast has barely any time to interact and joke around outside of fights. The one time they finally do, the ’joke’ is beating a restaurant guest half to death. Ha ha! Wacky kids! Ha ha look at him bloodied and curled up in fetal position! Ha, boy that was some good Bonding Time.

Yes that is good. I'm sorry you might be too dumb for jojo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The entire fight with Ghiaccio puts Mista in the #2 slot of Part 5 right behind bruno.

The man Believed in his teammates so goddamn much.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I think Pucci is easily my favorite Jojo villain. The man loving Struggles more than any of the others and his constant every sharpening resolve is a great mirror to the usual Jojo shtick to the point he becomes a Joestar by becoming this dead weight on all of Fate/Gravity.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

YggiDee posted:

I feel like Josuke is one of the only Jojos I'd really enjoy hanging out with in a non battle-to-the-death context. Maybe Joylene?

You could hang with Gappy and his girlfriend but then Joshuu would show up and you''d end up stuck inside the higashikata family house while Norisuke and Kato have a fight over what to cook for dinner that somehow escalates into you being adopted.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Joseph is the first american jojo but he's not the most american jojo.

Italian-American Florida Woman is the most american jojo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

The best part of Jojolion is Joshuu