Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jose posted:

So Alien or Stand Power?

Alien with stand power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

TheLoneStar posted:

On a similar vein, I always forget that Gyro only has/uses a Stand for like, five minutes in the entire Part.

He has TWO stands, at different times, for a total of five minutes.

Never forget Ball Breaker!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It seemed to me like High Voltage was kind of a cool-down arc or to be all fancy a denouement after the real climax, which was the D4C/Love Train/Ball Breaker arc. It was like a little bonus thing, it didn't carry the same stakes as what was immediately before, but it was fun in its own way, and it was cool to see Dio with The World again.

Like that arc is basically fanservice for people who've been reading the manga all the way through. Here's classic Dio again, how will this new protagonist deal with him? It was a victory lap for Araki, having fun throwing these characters together at the very end.

Also the way Dio got killed was just perfect.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Steel Ball Run so far really does feel like an old western movie but I really don't understand the magic steel balls and their spinny powers
Like I did not understand this fight between a guy with bugs in his eyes that made cactuses explode vs steel balls, it would be so much easier if it was just stand shenanigans in a way.

It's maaaaaaaagic

Also I kinda feel like Araki wanted to do a version of ripple that was more coherent, and also didn't want to reintroduce stands until he had to. Heck, the first leg of SBR feels like just a straight-up sports manga about horse racing.

Although, there is the tease of In a Silent Way in the first chapter, so....

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

multijoe posted:

King Crimson is unbeatable because the way it works is different every time its used

Ah, it has the same mysterious power as Gold Experience....

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

My brain always wants to pronounce Jorge Joestar as Horhay Hoestar

Same.

Also, that reminds me of one of my favorite Author's Notes:

quote:

Apparently, in Italy, they don't use the letter J, except in foreign or obsolete words, so, the name "JoJo" doesn't exist, and would be pronounced something like "yoyo," so for Part 5, starting on Page 71, I stayed faithful to the Italian language and made the main character's name "GioGio."
As a side note, it seems they don't have an "H" sound either, so "Hirohiko" would become "Iroiko." Like, what? Who is that?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

God, I forgot that he had scars on the pattern of the American flag on his back. Valentine is such a great, over the top villain, I can't wait to see SBR animated.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

chrome line posted:

Do you think Araki read the book, or did he just hear about it somewhere? Or is it just one of the wildest coincidences ever?

He definitely read the book. I believe it with all my heart.

Maybe it inspired him to set SBR in America too :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

drat, this part is already off to a much better start than JJL.

Smooth Operators is such a cool loving stand, I cannot wait to see more of it. The potential is just insane.

I love the siblings already, very excited to see more of their shenanigans.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i find it interesting that this jojo is a follower through and through, and perfectly happy in that role.

It would be fun if he ended up getting the Pesci arc at some point. Though he doesn't seem to have the same lack of self-confidence, he's just easygoing.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I mean, Arale can beat Goku, the power of "jokes" is unbeatable, but only with properly crafted "humor" and "context".

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yinlock posted:

the best use of the dumb images was valentine's tense dramatic standoff with johnny where he used stupid big gold signs to indicate he was telling the truth extra hard

That was absolutely hysterical, I really hope they find some way to preserve that effect in the anime adaptation.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Fuuuuck, this part is so good!!

I was hoping that lady was a cop when she busted out the old "cops can't lie if you ask them directly" routine, so glad Araki played that straight. Also I had assumed they did kill those cops before, but apparently not? If they keep coming back and getting beat up, that wouldn't be a bad running gag.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What’s the latest on Dragona’s pronouns now that we have chapter 2? First issue I read had they/thems and this issue I saw he/hims.

People are leaning he/him because Jodio calls them big brother, but besides that there's still no indication at all. And since Dragona is a teen in 2023, it could be literally anything!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Pigbuster posted:

I’m certain it is. It’s not like he hasn’t done it before; the man copied an entire backstory from Holes.

My favorite detail about that is that those chapters came out like a year before the movie, meaning he read the popular American YA book Holes, just for fun.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hmm, I bet Rohan is searching for rock humans (for manga research, obvs). Maybe there's one hidden among the rocks he has in his house already, and that weird cat is its stand. Or it could be related to whatever is causing the stand phenomena in Hawaii, somehow relating to lava, that would also be interesting.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

What if the plot kicks off after they fight the cat, and they go off to fight the lava humans or whatever, but Paco incidentally steals the diamond on the way out. Then Rohan spends the rest of the series chasing the gang like Inspector Zenigata.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It's fun to have people just trying to beat up Rohan again. Paco using his stand to spider-man around is really cool, I'm excited to see more of his power.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waffleman_ posted:

Also this was pre-war, and Americans didn't really care about the Nazis until Pearl Harbor.

I mean, there was a full-on fascist and anti-semitic movement of "America First" people who wanted to keep the US out of the war, because they liked the Nazis and what they were doing.

Dr Seuss did a lot of political cartoons about it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

This is such a cool version of invisibility. Hiding in the spray of the water is such a sick visual. I also love them tracking him via the diamond, I'm guessing that's going to be a running thing as people keep stealing the lava rock :allears:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

So they're going to use the one lava rock to get the other lava rock, so they can rescue Charming Man's brother, and in the process incidentally earn $50 billion.

Also, stands aren't caused by these mysterious lava tubes, or any mysterious natural phenomenon, but by the abstract concept of "absurdity". This part is so wild, I love it, it's like the universe is running on Twilight Zone rules, and people are figuring that out and how they can exploit it :allears:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

This is why stands are so much fun as a narrative tool. They can be attached to anything, and do anything, there are absolutely no rules.

Maybe each island has a stand, and they're toying with the humans living on them. The series ends with Jodio punching a volcano :allears:

Wait, no, he has rain powers, he erodes it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I think Gray Fly and Steely Dan might have been the only actual assassins dio found, what with trying to blend in and fool the others by acting like a bystander. Everyone else dio just found at various swingers and bdsm clubs and was like "here have a stand and come with me"

Also an especially evil baby, don't forget him.