Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

I think it was good BECAUSE it was a house show. Because of that, HHH didn't feel compelled to do his 45 minute EPIC BATTLE playbook and instead had an 18 minute good main event match, and he even sold for Mox because he knew he was going over in the end.

Also Mox helped tell a coherent story- ZaNy-in-that-WWE-way wrestler smartens up and does mat wrestling and holds, HHH wasn't taking him seriously and is taken back by it. I love that match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

I'm a big fan of 2005 just for the finish.

They managed to botch into the perfect tandem finish, and then Vince busted his quads.

I know nothing about the rest of that Rumble.

Three other things of note:

- Paul London dying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAHLw-TZ3kE (video quality sucks, but you get the point)
- Benoit/Eddie/Bob Holly shooting on Daniel Puder
- Flair almost-but-not-quite turning on Batista

I like the '05 Rumble.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Austin was so much better in the ring in late 96-97 before the injury, and then again in the 2001 heel run after the surgery and rehab. The stuff Austin was doing with Benoit/Jericho/Angle in 2001 is on another planet from his 98-99 stuff. (Obviously working with those guys instead of Kane/Undertaker and whatever stoogery Vince threw at him helped.)

Austin with all his physical issues during his peak face run could really only brawl and punch and stomp and the occasional Thesz press. But the thing is, that style worked perfectly for the character he was portraying. Weird how it worked out like that, the poor guy.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

The Cameo posted:

It is crazy to think that one of the most pivotal Wrestlemanias they ever had - XIV, which Nash correctly has pointed out was laid out as a “trailer” for the product to show a bunch of lapsed/new eyes tuning in thanks to Tyson, and was pulled off about as perfectly as possible - was headlined by two guys who were completely hosed physically.

Match is mostly Austin and HBK walking around outside the ring and hitting each other, and the crowd's going apeshit anyway. It's amusing viewing in retrospect.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Triple H vs. Scott Steiner, '03 Royal Rumble. Hunter tries to do his usual 30-minute NWA epic match, except Steiner can barely move.

Triple H vs. Great Khali, '08 SummerSlam. See above.

Triple H vs. Vladimir Kozlov, '08 Survivor Series (before Edge shows up). See above, also featuring extensive mat wrestling!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

The old double foot stomp off the top rope that Del Rio used to do looked like complete fake poo poo since the opponent had to hold themselves up on the turnbuckle.

Dude replaced one of the best simple submission moves in the business with that poo poo as his finisher. His finisher! That move was his finisher! How!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Harris Twins aka Disciples of Apocalypse aka Blu Brothers aka Creative Control aka two white supremacist dicks with no talent

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Red posted:

Yeah. :smith:

I mean, I like Simmons, but I just can't recall him having a great match.

Nation vs. LOD/Ahmed at Mania 13 was pretty great, but that was just a bunch of enormous dudes whaling on each other so it's not true match per se

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Right before he got sent down to developmental, they were going to do a Bikertaker/BIg Show feud for SummerSlam. Saw them try it out at a house show match from the second row and 1) yes, Big Show is mythically huge; and 2) at one point on a chokeslam false finish, Show chokes Taker, Taker hocks up a huge loogie that comes to rest on the ropes and dangles there for the rest of the night.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

XeeD posted:

Did this show start with Vince giving everybody a pep talk backstage and catching out Big Show for having a steel chair behind his back? Is this a thing I actually remember?

I remember it too so

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Lamuella posted:

Yeah, if you get a chance look back at some of their shows from this time last year with full crowds. The Revolution PPV is the obvious choice, but there's a show from February 19 2020 which is absolutely absurd in terms of match quality and crowd reaction. It's the one that ends with the Cody / Wardlow cage match and somehow that's only the third best match on the card.

I was at that 2/19 show and it was loving amazing. Wholeheartedly say you should start there if you want to check out Dynamite. Look at this card:

- Tag team battle royal
One of those "let's get everyone on the show" things but with some fun moments and a boffo superkick spot near the end

- Shanna vs. Kris Stadtlander
AEW's women's division is still ehhhhhh and this match isn't a classic but it's still goofy fun

- Jeff Cobb vs. Jon Moxley
Cobb looked like a monster, probably Mox's biggest match at that point in AEW

- Lucha Bros. vs. Hangman/Omega
No description needed

- Cody vs. Wardlow, steel cage match
Great heeling by MJF at cage-side, Wardlow looked unbeatable, Cody ends it with an insane spot that I'll just let you watch yourself

They didn't quite pack State Farm Arena in Atlanta, but the crowd is full of super die-hards into everything.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

britishbornandbread posted:

Bret's book is very clear he feels his worst WWF PPV match is Backlund at Mania 11.

You know how last-man-standing matches, if booked poorly, are just endless transitional move+dude falls to canvas+ref counts to 7, over and over and over again? Imagine that but way worse, and that's Bret/Backlund at Mania. "Submission" rest hold after rest hold with Piper yelling over the mic if each one wants to give up.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

the Stephanie/Taker marriage scene hits that perfect sweet spot of tawdry Attitude Era ridiculousness and Austin stunning people, and say what you will about her, Steph can shout like few other.

e: just watched it again, I forgot to mention the unprotected chair shots

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 27, 2021

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I just rewatched the Undertaker Stephanie ministry wedding and it made me realize how out of order I remember the Attitude Era. First of all it always feels like it lasted a lot longer than it did. Also I could have sworn that happened years before Big Show came to the WWE.

1999 WWF is bonkers. Vince winning the Rumble -> Big Show debut, Austin qualifying for Mania -> Rock turning face -> Ministry of Darkness, various sacrifices and Steph wedding -> Corporate Ministry -> Vince as Higher Power -> First blood match for the title and Vince leaving WWF when Austin wins -> Triple H/Mankind/Austin SummerSlam with Jesse Ventura as referee -> Triple H wins the title -> Vince comes back -> Rock and Sock Connection -> DX reforms -> Austin gets run over -> Big Show wins the title -> Big Show/Bossman feud with Big Show's dad's coffin -> Triple H marries Steph -> Steph turns on Vince. All in one year!

Ha, I just realized that Steph was married against her will twice in the same year. 1999!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Vince went from revealing himself as the Higher Power to losing a stip to Austin and leaving WWF in the span of just 2 PPVs.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

IIRC, Punk met with Vince/HHH after the Rumble before walking out. That was when one of their pitches to satisfy him is that he could get to face the Game-uh, at WrestleMania-uh

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Triple H at Mania. The ones in bold are the ones I think are bullshit.

12: Squashed by Warrior (I wouldn't say Hunter should've won, but he definitely shouldn't have been dominated by a malcontent who would soon leave the company anyway)
13: beat Goldust
14: retained Euro title against Owen (poor Owen, and that poor Euro belt)
15: lost to Kane by DQ but it was really more an angle for him to get back with Chyna who was turning face and then both later turned heel that same night on X-Pac (can you tell Russo booked this show)
16: retained WWE title in the 4 McMahons main event (Rock obviously should've won)
17: lost to Bikertaker
18: won WWE title over Jericho in the main event
19: racistly retained WHC over Booker T (No way should Hunter have retained, the way they set that story up, ugh)
20: tapped to Benoit, lost WHC in the main event
21: lost WHC to Batista in the main event
22: tapped to Cena (LOL) for the WWE title in the main event
23: injured
24: was going to win WWE title over Cena but Orton stole the pin and retained
25: beat Orton for the WWE title in the main event
26: beat Sheamus (like, why, it was in the middle of the card and you were setting Sheamus up as this new huge star)
27: lost to Undertaker
28: lost to Undertaker
29: beat Lesnar (reaaaal dumb in hindsight)
30: lost to DBry
31: beat Sting (congrats, Vince, you finally won the Monday Night Wars)
32: lost WWE title to Roman
33: lost to Seth
34: lost tag match to Ronda/Angle when Steph tapped
35: beat Batista
36: didn't perform

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't follow WWE regularly, but it seems like HHH has this recurring problem of not only beating more active wrestlers clean on PPV but also making GBS threads all over them in the process.

also had the habit of winning and making the other guy look like a chump at the big PPV, then at the next B-level PPV, actually doing the job when no one cared anymore.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Well, I got that from Arn and his point was losing does not make a wrestler as weak as Trips seems to think it does.

Triple H put Batista over on three straight PPVs at the end of the Reign of Terror and got a standing ovation for it before he took some time off; you'd think that would've landed for him

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Didn't know that! Just to reiterate- the main event was originally going to be face/DX Triple H versus Cena, facing each other for the title in back-to-back Manias?

Because that's dumb, therefore totally believable

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

disaster pastor posted:

Michaels/Undertaker Hell in a Cell.

I watch this every third month or so and it always holds up.

The match rules, of course, but it's also some of the best set pieces Kevin Dunn (??? !!!) ever got filmed. Early stretches inside the cell with the camera behind Undertaker's broad shoulders while he stalks HBK like a serial killer. Camera dudes in super-close range during the beat down. Camera dudes taking bumps. The long, slow shot of Kane strolling to the ring. Perfect visual storytelling.

e: another "perfect match" nominee: Becky/Charlotte, last woman standing, Evolution. Charlotte as relentless terminator who finally, just barely, can't get up one more time. Every booking issue you'd ever have with her, acted out in the match itself, but with a happy payoff for once.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 22, 2021

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

oh yeah, forgot about the BLOOD DRIPPING ONTO THE CAMERA LENS. Rad stuff.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

IronCladBurrito posted:

Wasn't there a HHH/Michaels match in '97 or '98 for the European title, when both were in DX?

Yep, both came out to "Break It Down," as did Chyna separately; they basically kept the song going for 5 minutes

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

IMO Jinder/Brock could've been a lot of fun, a subversion of the tiresome match booking Jinder would have every time (Bollywood Boyz interference, doyyyy distraction into a bad finisher, pin) because Brock would've murdered everyone. A weird part of me is bummed we never got to see it, though AJ/Brock was fine.

I'm also sad we never got a Brock/Fiend/Cole triple threat in '19.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

CarlCX posted:

It was also a theme with the match; it was a SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS MATCH, which translated to having boxes on poles at each corner of the ring and three of them contained weapons and the fourth contained the belt and whoever got the belt was champion, which is already a very silly way to do a match for your world championship, but the contents of the weapon boxes were a coal miner's glove, a blow-up sex doll, and the aforementioned lovingly made portrait of Scott Hall, so the entire match was kind of a "look at how dumb this is" comedy thing.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that's also the match where Beetlejuice from the Howard Stern show punched Jeff Jarrett in the dick.

Don't forget, it was for the WCW Championship that Vince Russo vacated! Preposterous booking before, during, and after the match, a true WCW triple threat.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Thing about WCW insanity in 2000 is that there were actually simple stories they could've told instead, but Russo was desperate to pop a rating as the wheels came off.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Vacant
Jarrett (8 days)
DDP (1 Day)
David Arquette (12 Days)
Jarrett (8 Days)
Flair (7 Days)
Vacant
Jarrett (1 Day)
Nash (6 days
Flair (1 Day)
Jarrett (41 Days)

This could've just been "Russo/Bischoff strip the belts, Heel Jarrett wins tournament for the WCW Championship, cheats to win a bunch and hits people with a guitar." It wouldn't have been good or anything, but it would've made sense at least.

quote:

Booker T (50 Days)
Nash (20 Days)
Booker T (8 Days)
Russo (7 Days)
Vacant
Booker T (55 Days)

Could've just been "Booker fulfills lifelong dream to win championship, retains in tough matches against the odds."

quote:

Scott Steiner (120 Days)

Steiner's run was fun, because they simplified it to "monster dominates on TV matches." But by then the company was cooked.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Isn't that what chinlock spots are for?

Also if there is a giant crowd screaming I'd imagine you can be pretty loud yourself without the audience really noticing.

NOW! NOW! SHINSUKE, NOW!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

FakePoet posted:

I've possibly asked this before (or at least thought about it):

What are some of the best/most memorable kick-outs? And for a bonus, who are some of the best wrestlers at consistently getting you to bite on a pin-fall?

There was a terrific sequence in the Shawn Michaels/Kurt Angle match at Mania 21:

- Shawn goes for a moonsault off the top rope
- Angle jumps up to meet him on the turnbuckle, gives him an Angle Slam
- Kickout at 2.5
- Angle loses his poo poo, grabs HBK and tells him to stay down
- Sweet Chin Music from outta nowhere
- Kickout at 2.99999 (miiiight have been past 3, still awesome)
- Shawn thinks he's won, slowly staggers to his feet, only for
- Angle to pop up ("like a scary movie," Lawler says) and put on the ankle lock
- HBK writhes around in pain forEVER, then taps

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I know the answer is probably "absolutely nothing", but what changed when the McMahon's came out and put the fans "in charge" of WWE? I know they were acting as if they'd sealed the deal on The Elite which thankfully never happened.

Did WWE even acknowledge that segment ever again or was it memory holed?

Corbin transitioned from on-screen authority figure to "guy who retires Kurt Angle" to #1 contender

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Kurt Angle Shield versus Assorted Bad Guys was pretty great, and Miz was basically the heels' ringleader throughout and took the endgame finisher spam

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 26, 2021

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Austin's first feud after Mania 14 was with Mick Foley's fourth best gimmick and assorted McMahon minibosses in relentlessly overbooked main events and the crowd still went bonkers for it. So yeah.

re: WCW Bret. Was but a dumb teenager at the time, but I liked the initial idea of bitter, sullen Bret Hart leading nWo 2000. But then everyone around the story seemed to get hurt, and that was that.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Believe he said he was going to kick CM Punks's skinnyfat Mickey Mouse tattoo'd rear end, or something like that

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I like that Alvarez has spent minutes and minutes minutes recently on whether or not Ever-Rise are actually good and then they just get up and released.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Come on, you were around in the nineties, unnecessary extra letters and using a Z for plurality was awesome.

never forget that the complete name of the PPV where the Screwjob happened was Survivor Series: Gang Rulz

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

For whatever reason I remember Titus Worldwide losing 2-0 to Sheamus/Cesaro for the Raw tag team titles

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

The original set-up of The Brood was that Edge was just a mysterious stranger who wrestled and then Gangrel showed up and was a nudge-wink vampire.
It was implied that perhaps Edge came to WWF to hunt Gangrel because he (Edge) is a vampire hunter, who arrived a few months before the vampire.
Then one day Christian shows up, is revealed to be Edge's brother but also in cahoots with Gangrel, suggesting that this was the source of the feud; that Gangrel the Vampire had either turned Edge's brother Christian into a vampire, or mesmerized him into being his familiar, or ____________.

Then after a month of feuding for the soul of Christian, Gangrel is booked in a Deadly Games qualifying match against Gangrel. Christian tries to interfere on behalf of Gangrel, Kane kicks both their asses and beats Gangrel, but then Edge comes in and attacks Kane to reunite with his brother. Kane fights all three of them off and they run away. And then they were just blood loving fanged gothic lifestyle aficionados for awhile.

IIRC, after this the Brood joined the Ministry of Darkness at one point?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Alaois posted:

The rest of the Ministry wanted to kill Christian because Christian was the one who squealed when Ken Shamrock had him in the ankle lock demanding to know where Stephanie was.

I like how the Ministry/Corporate Ministry grew to a size to rival the nWo's at its most bloated, and then was immediately gone in two PPVs

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

'99 Rumble had the following star ratings: **, *1/4, **1/2, dud, ***3/4, *1/2, and the very next night on Raw, they nullified Vince's win anyway. Amazing how basically two angles can make an absolute dogshit product so hot.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Is Meltzer partial to Royal Rumbles? I was looking at some ratings and he seems to hold even forgettable-but-fine ones in high regard. (He gave this year's men's ****1/4, for example)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

DEAR RICHARD posted:

what are some of the best(or very good) under 15 minute matches out there? anything goes.

these 2 shelton benjamin matches come to mind

vs hbk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMKxYoFzAjg

vs undertaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE6pBx1G_2g

Angle/Mysterio's 9-minute opener for SummerSlam '02 is terrific.