Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there had to be some reason why demons were afraid of another demon when they are all quasi-immortal. demons simply had no reason to fear death by violence, whether by chainsaw or otherwise. so instead, the chainsaw demon had an aberrant ability completely unrelated to chainsaws. it did kind of come out of nowhere, but it was consistent with the rest of the story and setting.

My personal, and needlessly stupid, theory on something that didn't really need expanding is that it started as a bluff since otherwise what kept other bigger, stronger, devils from just loving up the new chainsaw guy; who's afraid of chainsaws besides trees and the occasional lumber jack? But then much like batman all it took were a few small time clowns to be utterly terrified of the thought and suddenly whoops, now everyone's afraid of this weirdo in the clown suit which only makes his job easier; so once devils believed he actually could wipe them from existence, the chainsaw devil could.

But really, chainsaws are just cool and the series would be less cool if it was about like. Explodeman and his explode devil exploding everyone out of existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Scallop Eyes posted:

This being chapter 98, and not Part 2 chapter 1 males me think Denji is still the protagonist, and this was just the villain setup.I'm fine with being wrong though.

I was just thinking about this earlier and it'd be pretty neat, imo, if this like "part" of the series was basically an inversion with this new more villainous character as our protagonist while Chainsaw man fills a role more akin to the gun devil in the first one. A sort of overarching, if rarely seen but highly influential, goal.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Lily Catts posted:

ah yes, Chainsaw Man SEED Destiny

Except interesting and good instead of bad and boring.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I liked the part where there were dogs.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Whatever happened to the anime

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

It's going to have a presentation at the Crunchyroll expo this August, which is supposed to show another trailer. Netflix in Japan said it was releasing in October, but it's not certain.

Oh, cool! I was kind of expecting the answer to be "no clue" especially after I google it and all of the top results were really outdated articles that just said variants on "2022 but no news otherwise" :v:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I can't tell if war is going to soften a bit and empathize with Asa. which causes her to have more control or if this is a fake out

What if when war finally gets the nukes back, it doesn't actually use them - because then it wouldn't have them anymore. It just wants to sit on them like eggs in a nest.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Also insane TikToker theory Yuko is Denji in disguise

This was my insane theory the moment I saw her based solely on her hair.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Asa made the right choice, I'm not sure if Denji did though. Cats always land on their feet so basically he saved the one creature who would have been fine on its own. But that cat also has a fuzzy lil face and is probably feels really nice to cuddle so who's to say what's really right and wrong here?

Power liked cats

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dumb theory: This is how he's trying to find the new Power. Putting out just enough that someone might catch on, especially if there is any lingering connection in there; but not enough to snag every weirdo in the country.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

War will date Denji, never realizing he's the chainsaw man, and Asa will hate every minute of it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't like Denji was ever not a dumbass, but he just became a bit more aware of the people around him because he had spent a lot of time with them. He's now back to basically having nobody (though presumably an adoptive daughter + bucketload of dogs) and so he's having to learn about people all over again.

Also most of his previous friends were batshit insane.

Those dogs are raising that child.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Well that was a twist I wasn't expecting.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

Lol how the hell does this human society even keep functioning if anyone can make a pact with the devil and be a mass death machine.

Oh wait that’s not much different than real life only without the cool monsters

It seems like most devil pacts don't actually give you much power, honestly. It looks like most of them go the way of the zombie devil in that the devil just goes "lmao, sucker" and basically just uses your flesh for its own ends.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kobeni clearly has a contract with the car devil.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

i flunked out posted:

The two friends I introduced to the show both asked me if Makima was a devil at the end of episode 2, and both said it was the eyes that gave it away...

It's a lot more obvious in colour when you see her right next to power and they both have like orange eyes with yellow designs so it's more apparent that she doesn't just have weird eyes. She has very specifically coded weird eyes.

Fabricated posted:

The buildup of Makima is just really well handled. She does all her weird grooming stuff with Denji, then the train scene happens and you wonder what the gently caress is going on, then you see the actual aftermath of the train scene and realize something is REALLY off, then you finally see her in action and THAT is even more shocking.

The fact that so many fans of this series don't pick up on something being awkward, uncomfortable and just plan off with Makima until she's looking straight at the camera and talking about her plans is still hilarious to me because the series is not very subtle. It's one of its highlights, I think.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Elfface posted:

Ooh, time for baseless speculation...

Chainsaw Boy: Denji and Pochita's adventures in devil hunting for the yakuza

Alternate time line where Denji became Pchita's heart instead.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Flair posted:

Given the trend in Shonen manga, perhaps we have finally come across a Copy Devil.

The plagiarism devil.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I wonder if the club president actually has a part of pochita in him. Maybe that part of him that got nearly launched into orbit (before it pulled out a part of itself and threw it back to earth) touched back down at some point.

My wild theory is that like, Pochita was what remained of the chainsaw devil after escaping and eating a ton of devils and getting hosed up in a big war right? So I guess maybe we're going to find out what happened to the rest of his body or whatever.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Lol, due to Katana Man being designed with a permanently open mouth, I was convinced that he was screaming like a maniac in every single action panel. Him being mostly silent in the anime just feels wrong to me. :v:

I absolutely did not imagine him as dour as he's portrayed in the anime, but it works.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, I don't know why the deal with Prime Minister is considered so mysterious. He is (presumably) just an ordinary human. Makima would have him under control and agreeing to the contract in under three seconds.

Because mysterious things are powerful and cool and have intrigue. If it came out tomorrow that the contract was just that he gave her like, 10% of everyone in Japan's life span in exchange for her protecting Japan from the gun devil or something everyone would just kinda be like "oh" instead of all this talk about what the deal with the deal is.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

Honestly given how all of them seem to have become hybrids I'm suspicious that maybe weapon devils just are prone to doing that. Obviously not universally given Gun. But maybe the fact that weapons are meant to be wielded by humans makes their devils predisposed to it.

I feel like there's some sense to this, possibly. Weapons are created by humans for human. A weapon on its own, honestly, isn't that scary but becomes infinitely more terrifying when there's someone wielding it.

Anyway, this is just a prelude to my greater fan theory that the car devil is another weapon devil.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So here's a weird question that I'm probably going to have to re-read the series to get a satisfying answer to any time soon: did the lady with the snake demon contract actually die? I can't remember how that fight went, but watching the anime I've only now noticed that her eyes are red and distinctly not human looking which is probably just the snake theme going on; but still.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

lih posted:

she was confirmed dead by makima using her contract via her corpse against the gun devil

Thanks, I started re-reading the series anyway and just got caught up to the anime to confirm for myself so I might as well power through and finish it again anyway. I love how the pacing is. Shame I wasn't on to something there though, guess she's just got weird eyes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Finished my re-read and two things do jump out at me though! First being that Denji mentions he remembers being able to "Fight like that" in regards to being able to pull out Pochita and keep fighting as just a body. Which, personally, I think makes me lean more on the whole "fake chainsaw has something to do with some manner of body parts somewhere" since apparently chainsaw man was fighting the four horsemen and weapon devils before vanishing. If he threw pochita out, maybe someone took the empty body. Secondly, it seemed to met at least Nayuta still seemed to have some vague memory/instinct to bite Denji how Makima bit him, which might lead to finding power one day in the distant future. Different people, different personalities, but vague memories of who or what they used to be doesn't seem too impossible.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

Ended up re-reading part 1 in it's entirety again today. Meant to only read up to where the anime was while I was getting my oil changed but ended up reading all of it. There was a lot that I had forgotten from my first read, like Power coming back as the Blood Devil, and stuff like that. Goddamn this manga is good

It is, and I love how its so fast paced that it's really easy to just read, and then take a break when the short arcs end because it doesn't usually leave you hanging on huge cliffhangers or dangling plot threads for too long. I'm looking forward to seeing where the anime ends because I'm absolutely convinced it's going to be the defeat of Katana and that scene will be great.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

What if it's just the Bad Date Devil, everything's taking too long, it's repetitive, everyone's trapped around people they don't like and don't get along with.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I read Fire Punch. What a strange series.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

I kinda wonder if Denji’s a vegetarian now? He probably still likes food a lot but I can see him just avoiding red meat at least pretty much forever. Or he just got over it completely, either or with him!

You think anything would put Denji off of eating food?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ragnar34 posted:

Just realized, if the aquarium purchase works, Asa will have found a fantastic workaround. I thought she had to feel guilty about it though?

I thought she just had to feel attached to it, which doesn't necessarily mean guilty. But surely she feels attached to this place after spending so long researching and planning out the perfect date.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Why would “winner” make him think of Aki? Was “winner” a word that sounded like “Aki” in Japanese?

I think the reaction is more because he is a winner. He always wins. Look how much he's won! He's winning so much. :smith:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Man, the writings so good

Denji is going hog wild on food through the whole series because he’s been starving his whole life. Food will make him happy. Food is the answer to his problems.

Until it reminds him of his trauma with Aki :smith:

Denji's growth through the series has been really interesting. He's still Denji no doubt - but the character at the start of the series compared to the one in the more recent chapters has absolutely changed, despite still being dumb as hell and extremely impulsive. And so much of that character development is owed to his friendships with Aki and Power, and the horror show that goes on with them and Makima. Like, comparing Denji in both eternity devil arcs; I don't think Denji, in the first one, would ever have reacted to Asa the way he did in the second.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

It’s one of the most amazing, emotionally charged fights I’ve ever seen and I am legit not prepared for it to be animated

I feel it could go really well or really badly, but the team that did this first season I think would probably nail it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Speaking of Kishibe; I've had a weird theory for a while that has absolutely no bearing on anything, but I can't help but wonder if he's contracted to the future devil. When the future devil is first introduced they mention another devil hunter once gave both of his eyes up for its power, and it's around the same time Kishibe starts training Denji and Power, combined with the fact that he's always drawn with like, dull glassy eyes that I've always kind of taken as an anime signifier of blindness to some degree and the way he's able to avoid Power's attacks coming from behind a door; it's just an arbitrary connection I drew.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I just hope one of the rules is that she has to greet every single dog like a person, because that's always funny.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Foxfire_ posted:

I'm hoping Denji's house rules aren't related to Nayuta at all. They're because they have 10 giant floofy dogs that'll get super excited and cause chaos at the slightest provocation

Asa steps on a squeaky ball and is buried by a wave of amped up huskies

Meowy has become the lord of the house, mark my words.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I, also, don't think he's death - but if he was; his loss could easily be handwaved away as him wanting to keep his cover. If he's pretending to be a regular devil hunter for whatever reason, showing up out of nowhere and just kicking every rear end would probably be super suspicious vs. the story of being the guy who just manages to survive every fight like a cockroach. So if he does have some weird long term plans that involve Denji, he probably doesn't want to be seen as too strong or too weak.

Of course given how I'm perpetually wrong about everything in this series, that probably means he is Death.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Das Boo posted:

Defeat Devil.

I actually like this idea. I feel like the author wouldn't have focused on the conversation they did if it didn't matter to some degree, so the people guessing in this kind of vein of defeat, loss or resignation feels like it fits the vibe of the scene with people kind of giving up and killing themselves, following a conversation where one guy's trying to argue for why he wants this thing now that he might finally be able to afford it only to be shot down on how that's a bad idea.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Weird that the true villain of the arc gets revealed in a flashback like that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ranzear posted:

Aww dang, we're gonna be left hanging for two weeks?

My headcanon is Kobeni is contracted with some crazy poo poo like the failure devil in a way that it can just take over completely. What she truly fears is the things it will make her do and succeed at, but most of the time it just likes to sit back and watch.

This would kind of make sense because I don't think she's actually succeeded at anything, has she? Even when she's being competent. When she holds snake lady at knife point, they capture her; but snake eats her. She manages to save Denji before that, but the villains still get away. Every time she does well, it's still in a situation where the plan goes bad somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I want the falling devil to become the new power