Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

This is the first time ever I've seen Cat's Meow pieces in the wild outside of my grandma's house. Thought for sure they were not a thing anymore, but a google search tells me they're still pumping them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

lol that mini Eames chair reminds me that there exists an entire series of mini designer chair toys in blind box format and I paid $12 only to wind up with the drat footstool

https://www.poketo.com/blogs/journal/new-mini-design-chairs-on-poketo

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 1, 2021

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Vintersorg posted:

Our guy is gonna let us just slap the paint on the walls and let us see what works best. He's really good. :)

I was more talking about if painting it is even recommended or just leave it as the base colour all the walls will be.

PS if you're interested here are the colours i've chosen right now and im gonna go get samples to put on.

Whites
========
Arcade White - SW7100
Greek Villa - SW7551
Ice Cube - SW6252
Zircon - SW7667
High Reflective White - SW7757

Blues
=======
Swimming - SW6764
Moonmist - SW9144
Sleepy Hollow - SW9145
Undercool - SW6957

You can't leave taped and mudded drywall unpainted and you wouldn't want to either. Imho just get some cheapo flat ceiling bright white for everything but that little section. You want the opposite of reflective for the ceiling.

As for choosing colors, I don't know what the wait time is like now but Sherwin Williams is doing free color consultations via video these days, I used this service to choose some paint colors for my exterior trim and front door and I found it extremely helpful, I ended up going with the recommendation that came out of the meeting and it wasn't something I had considered before: https://homeowner.sherwin-williams.com/colorconsult/?utm_source=sherwinwilliams.com&utm_medium=redirect&utm_campaign=csi

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Double post for rugchat

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'm a maybe late to rugchat but I've had good luck with https://www.ecarpetgallery.com/us_en/. They usually have free shipping. If you're in Canada I think you can even get real iranian/persian ones. There was a brief time a few years ago when we were less mad at Iran and you could get them in the US too. They are all new rugs, but you can filter just for hand knotted ones-higher knot counts usually means a better rug. Several of mine are from Afghanistan and I'm quite happy with them. I think I also have Turkish and Russian/Caucasus rugs. My old boss was the master of buying old oriental rugs for cheap cheap cheap on ebay, but he knew a whole lot more about them and what to look for than I do. There are some good sellers there too though. I'm a big fan of the bluer ghaznis and also kilims, which are woven and then embroidered rather than knotted. Usually a bit bolder and more patterned and I think can fit well into more contemporary spaces, and they don't trap stuff like a knotted rug. Good for the kitchen.

Except for the really light colored oushaks, oriental rugs are really out of style right now and it's a buyer's market. A decorator friend has a closet full of them that's she's saving for when they come back. Her clients have just given them to her to dispose of as they've replaced them with blue chevrons or whatever.

Thanks for this link, I am about to be in the market for a decent sized rug for my living room and they have some nice options here that I haven't seen on all the other popular online rug stores.

Since this is the design thread, can we discuss why this is a thing and who even likes it:

This is a brand new rug. It just baffles me how often I run across the "oops, I spilled all my bleach" style of overdyed rugs. I hate it. Traditional oriental rug styles aren't really my thing but this just seems like sacrelige.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Dareon posted:

Is that how you're supposed to use a picture rail? It looks a little like a hipster polaroids-dangling-from-branch piece writ large.

e: I don't really have a problem with it, I do like the varied heights, it just looks like someone's doin' their own thing.

The picture rail is really just there so you don't have to put holes in your delicate plaster walls to hang things, but I don't think there is any particular fashion by which you are "supposed" to hang things from a picture rail.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Are picture rails ever used in stairways? I have a couple bare walls in stairwells that needs arts. It doesn't look like they're meant to be used at an angle so I might have to modify the rail or the hangers a little bit to make it work.

You can pretty much install them anywhere but yes they would need to be level. The rail hangers just sit on top of the rail and the weight of what they are holding is what keeps them in place, unlevel picture rail and they become unusable.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

actionjackson posted:

Sirotan what are some good art arrangements above a queen bed (~66" wide), I don't want to have some omg huge thing above it, but any single piece that is less than like 48" wide looks weird to me. I've seen triptychs with different sized pieces, I've even seen pictures where you have one piece that just has a little bit above the bed, and the rest to the side, for example mostly over the nightstand. I'm also considered just doing a little sconce instead.

Right now I'm just leaving the area above it blank to see if it draws my attention enough to require a thing, but wanted your input.

I have somewhat high walls (10.5 feet) so that makes the space seem a bit emptier than if they were shorter.

ty friend

Honestly I don't know if I can really answer this question. I, personally, don't tend to purchase art on the basis of how it will fit into a space, and instead buy things I like and then figure out where it's going to go afterward. I also tend to rotate things around depending on how I feel (which is the reason I am putting in picture rail everywhere). Assuming the bed is centered on the wall, one large piece centered over the bed would probably be my go-to here but big pieces can be expensive. Maybe a triptych of pieces of identical size, or even one large piece flanked by two smaller pieces with the same theme. Of course you can also get creative in how you frame things, triptych can go into a single frame with a custom cut mat, etc. I think it really depends on what piece you have or what piece you like. And how it looks will heavily depend on personal taste. Sorry, I realize that probably wasn't very helpful! :shrug:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

SkyeAuroline posted:

The extra bonus there is that I'm still in an apartment for the foreseeable future so nothing permanent (or too much of a pain in the rear end to get back out narrow apartment hallways and up/down stairs) is really on the table. Boxes are where it's staying for now.

Well aware about wood, otherwise would have just built something "good enough" a long time ago, and unfortunately my skills with metal are somewhere around "none" so can't really compromise with that either. Ah well. Just have to continue hoping nothing ever happens to the boxes whatsoever since I can't replace a lot of it. Keeping an eye out in the mean time...

Ikea has different levels of quality, some of it is pretty ok. Also I've seen people turn Ikea bookcases into some really incredible looking built-ins, if you're up for putting a little sweat equity into the project.

etc

Kind of a fan of the pole-mounted bookshelves at the moment, ala

There are some versions of it on Amazon that are pretty cheap, if you're ok with filling some wall holes when you move out, you could consider them non-permanent: https://www.amazon.com/Nathan-James-65502-Shelves-Bookcase/dp/B07F8J8QH6

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 21, 2021

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A real estate agent trying really hard posted:

If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise, what is, it wouldn't be and what it wouldn't be, it would, you see. This is entirely bonkers but I'll tell you a secret, all the best houses are. Sunken conversations rise to incredible heights. Tables that clearly show the wonders of the deep. Waterfalls and rooftop gardens. Outside/inside and angles of peculiar destinations. Mirrors that reflect upside down. Bridges that lead to spaces with no faces. Closed windows with light from unexpected places. Somethings real, somethings created - all things coming together to form an unexpected adventure through the mind of a visionary man. This could be your dream and you could decide where it goes from here. Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1204-S-18th-St-Saint-Louis-MO-63104/2934915_zpid/

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Josh Lyman posted:

This is probably the most mundane question ever, but does anyone have thoughts on hand soap dispensers? Should it match the hardware (chrome, nickle, etc) of the faucet head? I'm not sold on touch-free due to price, replacing batteries, and being more likely to fail. Foaming dispensers seem cool, but I feel like part of the point of washing your hands is that creating lather ensures you're scrubbing off germs.

I really like the in-counter dispensers. Obviously installing one after the fact is difficult/expensive, but you can also (assuming kitchen) replace your faucet with one that has the sprayer integrated into it, and then convert the sprayer hole into a soap dispenser. Otherwise I would just get a regular pump style dispenser that looks nice enough.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Genuine :lol:. Thanks, I needed that.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

actionjackson posted:

Also I'm well aware you pay a significant markup for the name.

luxurygoods.txt

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7162-Alaska-St-Detroit-MI-48204/88555166_zpid/

The listing describes it as "turn key" which I guess it is for the coveted goth market?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Josh Lyman posted:

Fully loaded Aeron B for $1000 but used and no warranty :(

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393332805014

There are approx 1 billion Aeron chairs in existence and a butt load of companies out there that will sell you used, refurbished, or open box Aeron chairs with a warranty for >$600. Office Chair @ Work, Madison Seating, Crandall, etc. Look on eBay, Craigslist, google for office furniture stores locally to you.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "mural"

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/260-W-Broadway-New-York-NY-10013/118327345_zpid/ Huge TriBeCa loft with an original Keith Haring

An original Haring wall mural in your living room is some baller rear end poo poo, my god. I love how they had it on the market 6 months ago for half the price and couldn't sell it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A realtor made a video walkthrough of that place, it's worse than what the description suggests and has been that way for more than a year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbadtmWh7Y4

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The spray paint and feces is the damage you can see, imagine if they went full Great Recession foreclosures eviction and put cement down the drains, cut a bunch of electrical in the attic and put insulation on it to hide it, etc? And that doesn't even consider whether the home was winterized in 2020, pipes could all be burst by now.

Previous owner should have torched the place and gotten the insurance money when they still had the chance to blame the insane former tenant.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

um excuse me posted:

Luckily clogged drains and cut electrical are easy to inspect for. Definitely baked into the purchase price.

Easy to inspect for, absolutely not going to figure into the "100k, easy" reno budget.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Stumpus posted:

Interested in a sectional that is leather and really soft. We want something that you melt into to watch movies or relax on. This Sofa from west elm has the look we’re interested in. I’ve read some quality issues about them though. https://www.westelm.com/m/products/haven-leather-2-piece-terminal-chaise-sectional-h3517/?pkey=chaven

Our budget is pretty high for this. I would say no more than 10k. 5-6k is the sweet spot, and quality furniture under that is gravy.

You should definitely not buy something from West Elm if your budget is that high. If you search this thread or the Home Ownership thread (I can't remember which one it was) for the word sofa there was a big long discussion recently about sofa/couches that had some recommended manufacturors listed. I have also personally been on the search for one and briefly considered West Elm but ultimately passed on them because of the tremendous volume of negative reviews.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I feel like I am going though the five stages of grief every time I try shopping for a specific piece of furniture.

Anger: $3000 for a media console? I mean it is pretty nice but lol who the gently caress pays that much for a cabinet, what am I, made of money?
Denial: I don't actually need a cabinet that can hide all the speakers that I hate looking at, I'll just get something less expensive and set them on top, I bet I could learn to live with it
Bargaining: BDI Corridor has literally everything I am looking for but I bet I can find something similar or a knockoff that will work for me! Let's spend a dozen hours over several weeks time obsessively browsing every option!
Depression: Why do these sites only have like 3 pictures and no listed interior dimensions? 0 reviews, how can I possibly decide if this is junk or not since I can't even see the drat thing in person?? Why is every popular store a Wayfair brand? Furniture shopping sucks I hate it so much why do I have to be so picky jesus gently caress I hate this
Acceptance: Actually $3000 seems reasonable for something well made that I'll probably have forever, let's find a local dealer and go see it in person <----we are now here

Thinking about the Elements now since actually I don't like the glass top of the Corridor that much, of course it's more expensive lol

:homebrew:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

actionjackson posted:

BDI is absolutely the gold standard for media consoles, emphasis on the "media" part. If you have a ton of AV stuff there's no comparison. Everything about the design is great, I looked at them briefly and I thought the recessed casters were really cool. I would also agree that a glass top is not ideal, it's just going to get smudged all the time, and worst scenario something heavy drops on it and the glass shatters.

I bought the quad cabinet Corridor in the chocolate finish and media base today. The glass top looks way better in person, it is acid etched and a matte finish and I was told it can be easily buffed to remove any potential scratches. Should be delivered in 4-6 weeks. :toot:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Liquid Communism posted:

The Arts and Crafts movement was late 19th century anti-industrial idealism focused on hand craftsmanship. As I understand it, there are three main commercial forms that came out of it in the US. Gustav and Leo Stickley's Craftsman works, named after Gustav's magazine The Craftsman. Mission style, which was east coast US work by Joseph McHugh. And of course the Chicago-based Prairie style, most associated with Frank Lloyd Wright. All are, outside of truly high end stuff, factory made with handcraft style details.

They're based around use of natural woods with vertical and horizontal lines as well as paneling to complement the grain of the wood (often cherry or quartersawn white oak), handcrafted details, and simplicity of design.

Stickley's still in business, but very much high end for my budget, even if they do make exactly what I want.

https://www.stickley.com/furniture/living-room-furniture/sofas/orchard-st-sofa/

Not sure where you are but you can probably find some really nice pieces at good prices at Amish furniture stores. If you're anywhere near Michigan, I highly recommend Bear In The Woods. I bought some mission-style pieces there in the past, they are extremely nice and were very competitively priced: https://www.bearsinthewoodsamishfurniture.com/

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Used to be an AT&T data center, though I have never seen one in a residential neighborhood before.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Liquid Communism posted:

They appear to be a Simply Amish dealer, and I dug around and found a local one, thanks!

Still expensive, and 20+ weeks lead time right now thanks to everything, but they have what I want.

Huh, TIL. Everything I've ever gotten there has been in stock in the store, always just assumed they were getting stuff made locally. 20+ week lead time though, oof. What did you end up picking up?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

This house just went up for sale by me and holy gently caress I want it so bad.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/54810971_zpid/

Too bad the location kinda blows and it looks like it needs $100k+ in work done, but those windows!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Japanese apartment owns but I am extremely disappointed they did not 100% commit to the theme and use real tatami mats.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Never actually saw the movie but I'm going to just pretend like this is what all the scenes in The Giver look like before Jonas is able to see color.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BadSamaritan posted:

They do also make actually good looking doorbell chime covers. Etsy is a good source and House of Antique Hardware has them sometimes. They’re kind of a nice middle ground imo.

Yeah, this is what I was considering doing when I installed a wired doorbell in my house. Way cheaper than buying giant chimes and you have a lot more options. I ended up deciding I was fine with the white plastic cover since it's in an inconspicuous place, but for a while was considering something from here: https://www.artsandcraftsman.com/doorbell-covers

Etsy is also a great place to look, as BadSamaritan mentioned.

Edit: this was an Etsy seller I had bookmarked for this purpose: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheBungalowWorkshop

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 27, 2021

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/113-Springy-Banks-Rd-East-Hampton-NY-11937/32659304_zpid/ I know I've posted this like twice before but it is loving incredible and it will never ever sell

the premise is that the natural world does not have perfect, flat, featureless floors so why should our houses?

Burying the lede with this one. The design was also to keep you in perpetual motion because the architects thought that might lead to eternal life*!

*Both architects died within 6 years of the house being completed.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Everett False posted:

It's unfortunate because I really like the overall look of Smeg appliances, but I am a child and would not be able to handle going into the kitchen and seeing

S M E G

:same:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/419-E-Oakwood-Dr-Barrington-IL-60010/4858153_zpid/ "features organic materials with a nod to Scandinavian design""

complementary colors y'all

I don't know how they manipulated these photos but I spent the longest time staring at them trying to figure out if all the furniture and décor was real or CG. If you told me the the photo of the basement with the pool table was a render I would completely believe you.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Of all the statement art pieces I have seen in home listings, this is easily the worst.

Dining room light fixture is also extremely hideous, wow.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I actually kinda like it. Crashed cars are praxis!

It just looks like some bombed out war relic left on a beach somewhere to rot. I hate it!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

House of the Rising Sun is loving incredible but I am losing my mind at these house numbers.

Gorgeous hand carved wooden door and details but let's just buy those cheap rear end reflective stickers and slap them on the side there, should be fine.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I have to have that blanket. Besides "Mexican blanket" anybody know what that type of textile is called?

Edit: it is apparently a Mexican diamond blanket

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 29, 2021

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

MetaJew posted:

What I remember seeing was something like a $1,600 solid brass door handle/deadbolt combo for a front door. It was gorgeous but suggests I would need a $10,000 front door to go along with it.

Rocky Mountain Hardware maybe?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

It's just a drop-in tub, the tile is on the surround.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've got my TV wall mounted with all the cables run through the wall behind it and into my BDI Corridor cabinet under it. Looks slick as hell imho, especially when I turn the bias lighting on when it gets dark.

Edit: getting my PBS on

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 28, 2022

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Brawnfire posted:

Holy WGTE Toledo, that's quite a green!

Sherwin Williams Derbyshire, I love it!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The fact that it is a rainfall shower but the temperature controls are so far away you'd have to leave the rainfall to change the temp makes me very mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Found a war crime while browsing Reddit on my lunch hour:

Bought a house a year ago and ripped it down to the studs. Finally it's in a livable condition... (self.HomeImprovement)

quote:

My wife and I bought a great little home in an awesome neighborhood of San Diego about a year ago. We spent a couple of months looking at different areas of the town I call home (AKA America's finest city) before settling on this neighborhood. The problem of course was that we couldn't afford to live here! When homes in the area would pop up for sale they would go into escrow immediately and were usually over market value. This place was owned by a 94 year old woman who had recently passed away. She bought the home in 1938 and raised a couple of generations in the home. As she aged some areas of the house just weren't kept up and cared for as they were in the past. This led the home to being sold as is and letting the new owners know that there was a good amount of work to be done. It also meant we got the place for about 150k less than other similar homes in the market. When we put an offer on the house there were already 7 other offers. I wrote a letter to the family saying that we were a young couple who loved the neighborhood and wanted to raise a family here. It worked and we got the house!

As you can see from the album we ripped the place down to the studs and started over. I work for a large mechanical contractor so I was able to leverage my industry relationships to buy material and labor really cheap which allowed us to splurge on some nicer items like appliances and fixtures. We're both super happy with how it turned out. Now it's time for landscaping. Thanks for taking a look.

https://imgur.com/a/kUaip

I should have known it was going to go all wrong when they said they hated coved ceilings. They turned this:

into

:barf:

Also what the gently caress is this flooring, purposefully distressed vinyl plank?

The only color in the entire place is this terrible tile they decided to slap on the top(?) of the wall, and also used as the transition strip for every single doorway lmao

RIP you adorable Spanish Colonial, I'm glad your previous owner died so she can't see what happened to you.