Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
https://twitter.com/kyleredwards_/status/1382389951833202692?s=20

Got some much-needed backcourt leadership, since Jarreau and Grimes are leaving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
:aaa:

https://twitter.com/umterps/status/1400250558741635073

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Two season-ending injuries in quick succession for Houston: Tramon Mark last week with a shoulder injury, and now Marcus Sasser with apparently a broken foot. Time to drink bleach

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Bird in a Blender posted:

I did not see Baylor losing at home to Okie State. I’m not sure the Big 12 has one bad team.

And in a couple of years they'll have Houston, Cincinnati, BYU, and, uh UCF

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Houston keeps winning despite losing our best perimeter players, bar Kyler Edwards. Sampson is a magician, he's reconfigured to run our offense through the post and we're still eking out wins

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

mastershakeman posted:

How good is Houston, id like Illinois to make a sweet sixteen some day

We lost our best and probably 3rd best players for the season during non-conference play and still won the AAC because Sampson is a genius coach, but we're lacking depth because of those injuries. Assuming we make it to Sunday, we're probably going to swarm Cockburn with double teams when he gets touches in the post, yet we have freakishly athletic guards that will contest any 3s. Since the injuries, our offense has revolved around feeding the ball to Josh Carlton in the post or Fabian White at the elbow, while still grabbing offensive boards at an insane rate. The keys to beating us are hitting (contested) threes and getting our guys in foul trouble - Wisconsin and Alabama were able to do the former, while Memphis beat us with the latter.

This could've been another final four team with Marcus Sasser healthy, but at least we'll get him back next season :sigh:

edit: We're better than a 5 seed team in terms of metrics, but it's not a wholly unfair rank - the AAC was way down this year, Memphis and SMU aside, and a lot of our big non-conference opponents (Virginia, Butler, Oregon, Oklahoma State) also had poor seasons.

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 14, 2022

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
This is probably a dumb question, but do any of you guys have any insight into how second round games are scheduled? *If* we get past UAB, a friend and I are considering driving from DC to Pittsburgh for Houston's second round game vs. Illinois/Chattanooga, but not if the tipoff is too late. Given that Illinois/Chattanooga tips at 6:50 and then Houston/UAB at 9:20, it's probably likely that we end up in a late slot, right?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Marcus Sasser is a bad mother fucker and it's so nice to have him back

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Just came back from Annapolis, Houston didn't look too convincing but still beat a bad St. Joe's team pretty solidly. For some reason, Navy kept the arena's AC off until late in the second half, so the game had a ton of interruptions to towel off the floor

Was hoping the Gonzaga and UNC scores held so we could have a shot at #1, oh well

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Was checking the scores for Houston's future opponents, and, uh, Texas Southern beat Arizona State last night?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Houston held Max Abmas to 1-13 shooting last night :staredog:

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
At one point in the second half, Houston had 12 fouls to Oregon's 0, with Oregon's first not coming until the 1:19 mark :psyduck:

Houston still won by 10 in Eugene

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Houston up to 2 and UVA up to 5, I'm probably going to drive down from DC for that game

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

elentar posted:

Houston has an interesting game with St. Mary’s before then and I kinda expect Virginia to lose either at Michigan or at home in a classic trap game against JMU but still, decent chance they both make it to that game unbeaten. JPJ is a great environment. Drop a line if you need food or other recommendations.

Thanks man, I'll let you know if I manage to get tickets! I've been living up here for nearly 4 years and still haven't made it to Charlottesville, so I'm looking forward to visiting.

When we jump to the Big XII, our closest opponent is going to be West Virginia, but I've been lucky enough to go to our NCAA tournament game against Illinois in Pittsburgh and our game against St. Joseph's in Annapolis last week. If not against UVA, I hope we can keep some non-conference series with other east coast teams...

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Houston might end up at #1 today but we don't deserve it, we looked bad on offense against a mediocre Oregon team and then nearly poo poo the bed at home against a probably decent but not great Kent State team

We have a real test next Saturday with a neutral site game against St. Mary's, and then home vs Alabama and away at UVA on consecutive Saturdays. We could very well lose all three if we don't find a way out of this shooting slump

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Just got back from Charlottesville, I certainly didn't think we'd win so that was a pleasant surprise

Terrific crowd at JPJ! UVA played some of the most mistake-free ball on offense I've ever seen, but just couldn't hit open looks. We got just enough offensive boards and hustle plays to win it, and we actually hit free throws, which cost us badly against Alabama.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

And they have the current NCAA NET/KenPom #1 joining next season :stare: UCF isn't bad either, but Cincinnati and BYU aren't having great seasons

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Jarace Walker is a monster, hope he left something in the tank for Cincy

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

elentar posted:

i'm back to Louisville gawking now that they've hit 278 in Kenpom

During my freshman year, Houston finished 8-20 and 212 in Kenpom; in the last 5 years, we've finished 18, 12, 14, 5, and 2, and now we're sitting pretty at #1 :unsmith:

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

kayakyakr posted:

Texas Tech dropped 2 at home to KU (had a shot at a buzzer beater), and OU (lost in OT). This counts as a free-fall. Team is a mess and rumors abound that everyone actually hates Adams.

Would not be surprised to see him retired sooner than later. Just hope we're not the ones that try to rehab Beard's image. gently caress that dude.

That's unreal, Adams seemed like he had unlimited good will after beating Texas home and away last season. The crowd for that home game was the most electric I've ever seen on TV

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

fast cars loose anus posted:

And that will definitely secure the tourney bid, and if we take care of the business we ought to, sets up an SEC title match with Alabama

both of my schools are really good at basketball at the same time, how is this happening

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

kayakyakr posted:

In less murderous news, Texas Tech has so far done what they needed to do, and took both road games against WVU and OU.

Think we still need to take our two home games vs TCU and Oklahoma State to get in to the field, but if we do that, we'll be pretty solidly in the field with a 7-11 conference record and the conference tournament doesn't matter.

Dropping one of those two games means we'd have to win two in the conference tournament, I think, but with the way the league is and the way the mid-majors are, I think that it's still a possibility.

It's not quite a magic number situation (because I think we get in at 7-11 with a loss to #4 or #5 in the conference tournament considering 4 & 5 are both positioned as 3 seeds), but you could say that the magic number is 3 and be close enough.

I haven't been able to watch any Tech games this season besides the UT game in Lubbock, but what has been the reason for the drop-off? Is it just the strength of the conference this season?

Also, I'm usually loath to compliment, let alone root for, UT, but it's amazing how those kids have stuck together after the Beard situation. I hope they go far in the tournament, although not further than UH :shobon:

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Jamal Shead I love you

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
IIRC Adams was seen as the brains of the operation behind Beard, especially on defense. He was also one of the few assistants that didn't want to follow Beard to Austin, which Tech fans loved to point out

I'm amazed at how quickly the bottom fell out - they were great last season, and handily beat Texas both home and away.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

elentar posted:

American, 3:15 PM: Houston has the 1 seed locked up and the field will be basically set by the time this finishes so this game probably means a lot more for Memphis, if that actually matters (it won’t)

Sasser injured his groin in the first half of the Cincy game (slipped on the floor and did the splits) and is questionable for today's game. His health is the top priority, so they really should just sit him until next weekend, and even until the second game if we make it that far

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
The Big XII in 2024 is going to be a rock fight, jeez

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
This is horrible news, he was a key part of our final four team and by all accounts a great person

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1693761471698624981

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
https://big12sports.com/news/2023/9/25/big-12-unveils-2023-24-mens-basketball-conference-slate.aspx

Two broadcast TV games for us (Houston) this season, home vs. Texas and away vs. Baylor :getin: And we get Kansas at home for the season finale

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
COOGS

HOUSE

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Yeah, WVU is just letting it ride with an interim coach and I have no doubt that they'll get a good coach in the offseason, although there are some bigger openings (Ohio State, Louisville, possibly Michigan) too.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Big XII (maybe co) Champions, baby :toot:

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

curried lamb of God posted:

Big XII (maybe co) Champions, baby :toot:

Thanks to our friends from the Little Apple, we are now undisputed Big XII Champions :toot: :toot:

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Probably Magic posted:

Getting chanted "overrated" at by a school that can't even beat us in football, lol, gently caress off. See you in Kansas City, gently caress you.

I cringed when I first heard it, but it was just turnabout from the game in Lawrence

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Joey Freshwater posted:

News:

Views:

Oh no

We've already been cursed by Drake, it's over

https://twitter.com/UHCougarMBK/status/1769524791478735224

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Got a plane ticket, AirBNB and game ticket for Dallas tomorrow night :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
A couple of days later, the worst thing about that (Houston) loss is that it feels like our window has shut for at least a couple of years. Shead is probably the best point guard this program has produced and Sampson's system is very reliant on the PG setting the tone - our offense looked much worse when we had our SGs (Cryer, Sharp, Wilson, Dunn) trying to run it. It doesn't look like we have another true PG waiting in the wings; Wade Taylor is a rumored transfer target, but he'll have to rein in his wild shooting to make it work.

Also, Sampson is 68 years old, so I don't know how much longer he'll be willing to stick around, and I don't entirely have faith in HCIW Kellen Sampson.