Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Let's talk about why Mercadia needs to come back.

I think they could make Mercenaries non crappy by having them make a treasure token (or, if you use a treasure token you can go up in casting cost instead of having to recruit down in cc?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

I already have 2 Mystic Remora's, and I'm STILL tempted by this drop. Not for value but because it looks cool

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Jiro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v10ujkmmxC4

Many Magic the Gathering players............

Prof has a really good breakdown of how many cards are worth price per pack vs how much chaff there is including dollar amounts accurate enough as of yesterday Jul. 7th.

I find these videos a bit silly, cause... no duh buying packs at retail and opening them loses you money? If it didn't, the sellers would just open the packs themselves!
But still a decent breakdown

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Silhouette posted:

Where do you think the majority of singles come from

People buying cases of boxes for less than retail, cracking them, and selling them. And from people buying booster boxes and selling the singles they don't want to keep, but those people are losing money compared to just buying singles... but some people enjoy the rush of gambling. Or from people drafting and then reselling their picks to do more drafts.

My friend is an online MtG seller, he got collector booster boxes for $200/each and is cracking and selling singles. Someone walking into a store and paying $275 has a significantly higher cost per card and will lose money

Thom Yorke raps fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 8, 2022

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

TotalHell posted:

Brought home my box. Tempted to document what I get (for better and for worse) from it in pics here, but I know that’s also something that everyone and their mother does with box opening vids on YT.

I'd like to see it! Box opening videos take too long to watch, just pictures of the good stuff is more fun

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

I wish TCGPlayer would show variants of a card when you search for it, instead of siloing it off into it's own freaking product page. If I'm looking for a card, I wanna see the price for regular, borderless, retro frame, etc so I can compare prices and decide whether the bling is worth it!

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

I was taught you play magic with your whole deck in your hand to start, everything is free, and the mama cost was what you paid to bring it back from the grave yard to your hand.

Keldon Warlord was OP

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

MtG players, who tend to skew autistic, stim with their cards sometimes? Why I never!

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

I just play Pauper because it is cheap and reminds me of playing Magic in 2003 - all the creatures suck and blue has a bunch of good cards. I'd play other formats if WotC wasn't constantly 'shaking them up' and adding ridiculous cards to them.

Back in the day I played Vintage because it was cheaper to drop ~$1000 on a deck that you could always play, than $200-300 on a standard deck every time a block rotated. Now a grand will get you like, one land for a vintage deck, so that is out unless I'm proxying. For the price of a Standard deck, I've got 5 pauper decks I can rotate through, and if WotC makes one suck, well, the cards are probably good in other decks and cost me, at most, $15 each.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Re: token chat, I made a couple recently including some EVA pilot tokens:

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Standard, and the pro tour was created to give people a reason to buy new sets.

They got rid of the pro tour, so where is the incentive?

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

MTG also used to have foils that didn't curl.

Edit: As much. They weren't fully immune to it either but it wasn't anything like today's.

It was still a problem back then because they were thicker too. Remember playing with someone in a tournament who had an entirely foil Affinity deck in standard, otherwise you almost never saw foils at big tournaments.

I used beta and APAC lands for bling for that reason

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Seems highly likely that wotc has cost themselves a lot of money by printing the 30th anniversary stuff. I've talked to many people who are now on board with proxies because of it, and no one who is interested in purchasing the product.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

My local card shop is having a big pauper event in a little over a month, and I'm trying to figure out what I want to play for it. Cycling storm is fun but it feels like it just loses to itself too much, and with mono R prowess on the upswing I just don't think it's strong enough. Mono U tempo/serpent seems pretty good, and I have a lot of experience with tempo decks, which makes it tempting. Caw-Gate also seems like a great option - it's powerful and you have a lot of control over how the game plays out. I don't have much experience with it though. And of course, mono R prowess could be a good option for a longer event, so I can keep making decent plays while tired.

Anyone else play pauper and have thoughts?

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Jabor posted:

Not sure this is the hill you really want to go out on, chief.

Yeah, we should go back to banning books like Ulysses and other filth!

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Considering building mono U spirits for pioneer, since it is cheap and I like that sort of play pattern. Will I be able to compete, or is it too budget?

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Especially when they have a card to turn life into cards.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Rinkles posted:

How does card in no way involve flying?

Maybe it has art from before a redesign?

It isn't the flying things, it is the thing they are flying out of. It is the Hive

(Dandan isn't the boat)

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Personally, I love Arena. I just play drafts once or twice a week, use the drafts to do my dailys, and between winning a bit and playing a couple games a day, I can draft forever. And if I do this consistently enough, I can play Standard for free as well.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

holy gently caress the lands are great

I wish WotC would stop printing basics that are hard to tell apart from a distance. Waaaay too much green on most of these

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Apparently granny sengir has never been a vampire.

These updated creature types include Irini being a turned dwarf so I guess she's just unfathomably old from one of the sixty thousand other things to cause immortality in this setting.

I think she was always implied to be a Dwarf, just they didn't have typed legends back in the day?
“That cruel being brings shame to all her fellow Dwarves and misery to all the land. She is Sengir’s daughter in spirit if not in blood.”

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Lava Dam owns, that's one I was hoping to see.

And lol at the flavour of the dam being destroyed if it gains flying. Gotta love a card that goes all in on representing its concept over being playable.

I play Leap and Floodgates in my Orvar commander deck, it's silly and neat

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

I could easily see 7 unique 1of1 horcruxes in the harry potter set, and thats even more opportunities to win the lottery. I think thats how they try to go bigger

Collect them all and destroy them and they get rid of the reserved list

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Odds the MH3 totally shakes up Modern and has several $60+ new mythics added that are must haves?
This is part of why I play pauper, I can't justify spending $1000+ to build a deck that might not even be good in a year

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

These monsters at Wotc better reprint Preordain in foil cause my modern deck is foil and switching in non-foil preordains will probably mark them, and foils are like $40

:(((

Foil preordains appear to be around $7 on TCG player? Which is wild because they were a lot less for awhile, but still a good bit less than $40

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

I sold some cards on SA back in 2004...
Some highlights:
1 Taiga (Minor Edge wear) $16.50 **ON HOLD**
1 Tropical Island (Minor play) $17.50 **ON HOLD**
1 Bayou (Minor play) $15 **ON HOLD**
3 Wooded Foothills $5 **ON HOLD**
1 Wheel of Fortune $5 (Minor edge/back wear)
3 Chrome Mox $12
1 Lion's Eye Diamond $3
1 Mox Diamond $12
1 Platinum Angel $6.50
2 Memory Jar $2
1 Grim Monolith $3

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Depends on boars state and life totals, if you could counter two hawks then I'd be more likely to go for it. Do they play spell pierce? Do they have four mana? Cause if they can go hawk / spell pierce I would dispel the brainstorm and not try to get cute with countering the hawks

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Silhouette posted:

loving cowards didn't unban hymn in pauper, but it's "being considered"

Edit: also swiftspear should've also taken synth with it, that card enables too much bullshit and value in too many decks

Hymn leads to so many non games, it shouldn't be legal. Especially in a format with Dark Ritual.

I'm super glad they left synth, none of the decks it enables are overpowered other than maybe mono red, and they nerfed mono red. Jeskai affinity has one good result, boros synth is a lovely midrange deck that draws a bunch of cards but doesn't do anything.

Also, Synth is magic as Richard Garfield intended it - for one mana, you get to draw 3 cards. One of them is a 2/2 for three mana. Perfection.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

VictualSquid posted:

So, historic Artisan event on arena made me think about power levels.

Imagine a tournament that allows decks from either Pauper, Historic/Pioneer Artisan or Standard. Which would you choose.

e: Also I am actually surprised that there are no youtube videos with that gimmick.

Probably Pauper mono blue terror, kuldotha, or UW all that glitters... What answers does historic or standard have to a 5/5 ward 2 on turn 3 with counterspell and spell pierce backup?

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

VictualSquid posted:

I do play mono blue terror in standard, though there having the terror on turn 3 is a god draw. And the most annoying match up is mono-w soldiers featuring Thalia and esper legends featuring Thalia. Or mono-r attacking with a 6/5 swiftspear with monstrous rage on turn 2.

Yeah in pauper you should get a turn 3 terror often, you mulligan pretty well and can often go Brainstorm I to Mental note or double mental note/thought scour, or Delver into brainstorm, etc.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

A Moose posted:

my advice is to kill the part of you that cringes

'cringe' as a concept is mostly just used to donk on neurodivergent people for being 'weird' and is ableist as gently caress, so yeah do this

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

I'm hoping they reprint Preordain in MH3 and give it new, good art. And maybe a foil retro frame.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

RK post sells tokens on his website that are pretty sick, and I'm sure other mtg artists do as well

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

Real life drafts are $25-27 now, holy poo poo.

Ours are $22 and give $1-$3 per person in store credit for 2-1, 2-0-1, or 3-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

What part of the rules say I don't get another Storm trigger with like basically any extant copy effect if I copy the original spell? Not Storm count, but putting another instance of the Storm ability on the stack. How could I do that besides a "copy trigger"?

Storm is a cast trigger, and you aren't casting it, you're copying it. More information here