Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ground floor of the final one piece thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
prediction ive been making for years: the straw hats will do a davy back fight vs shanks crew

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

We already know that Devil Fruits were around about the mid-Void Century because of Toki

i question whether or not Toki actually ate a devil fruit

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
netflix couldnt rewrite the whole story before they did test screenings or they would gave been slammed by the fanbase at series announcement. this is netflix’s creative directors intentionally sandbagging a show so they have an excuse to rewrite the script and avoid a similar backlash to the witcher tv show. when this comes out and the story is changed to suck mega rear end the writers can now deflect blame by being like, “well, it was worse before we rewrote it. just look at the test screenings”

edit: to be clear im saying that every stabled netflix in-house writer is terrible but they’re also, somehow, all producers, so they get their garbage stories in every show netflix produces. this is their way of getting their stupid writing into One Piece

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 14, 2023

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

mabels big day posted:

Kin'emon wore them

checkmate

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
can i get some scans that dont look like 60 dpi jpegs

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Infinitum posted:

ep 1075 an entire episode of flashback waiting for The Punch

its still sick

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

White Light posted:

Oh you mean the super duper powerful Commander-in-Chief that we saw for all of two panels before promptly dropping off the face of the series, never to be brought up or referenced again to date? THAT guy?

Feels weird Oda gave such a heavy rank to a guy that's barely acknowledged at all, much less a spot on the execution platform.

EDIT: ^^ those LA Buggy pics look like something I'd see in Hell House LLC

hes monkey d. kong and garps father

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the gear 5 fight is such an insanely cathartic series of episodes after 100 episodes of untouchable kaido. even with the bad pacing its godlike anime. it hits even harder than in the manga imo

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Covok posted:

Important context: I watched One Piece when it first aired on Fox Kids. I then followed it to subs and watched it to the end of Marineford. Then, I went to college and forgot about. I just got back into it this week after watching the Live Action show last week. I am watching One Pace to speed things up. The Noah has just enteted the bubble, Hody was defeated, and the squid, invisible guy, octopus, and umi bozo were just defeated.

I really don't know what to make of One Piece's race metaphor.

Like, in some readings it can be even victim blaming or claiming modern generations fighting against racism have no personal experience with it. But I feel that's unfair to Oda.

The Fishman are abused by humans and it isn't unreasonable for kids to grow up resenting the mistreatment. Yes, seeking revenge will not solve that problem but I also have never met an activist who actually wants revenge. The villians represent extremist raced on fishmen-superority propaganda but that propaganda is a bigoted reactionary movement from human bigotry.

I can't decide how to fall on it. I feel oddly uncomfortable. There are moments where it feels right. Like, I knew Hody was going to say he was driven by no personal bad experience with humans because he was clearly a bigot. But then it shows him having to grow up hearing about others being mistreated by humans and that actually happening so...that is kind of personal experience? Like, just cause it's second hand doesn't mean you didn't grow up hearing your people were mistreated and enslaved. Like, the fear that breeds is still a personal experience. Speaking from experience as someone whose had to hide to survive in my own country.

It feels...off. Like, I can't decide how to feel about it. I don't know. Just wanted to share.

its off because its real in a way this genre never is

edit: i’ll clarify. the fishmen are only a metaphor for racism at first. thats to ease you in to a dialectical understanding of the world. then you really start to know the evil of the world government and the celestial dragons…..as it were

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 14, 2023

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
this weeks chapter is so good

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Oh, I just assumed it was something weird like his Awakening power causing Kizaru to stretch like a rubber toy in his hand considering everyone's eyes are popping out in the same scene. :eyepop:

this is in fact exactly whats happening, and in the next chapter we will see kizaru be absolutely clowned on

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jose posted:

Think Ive asked this before but asking again..how come.its Bartholomew kuma rather than bear or Bartholomew not being translated either?

his name is bisoromi bear

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Larryb posted:

Vivi is absolutely going to link back up with Luffy at some point at least

with wapol at her side lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i think:
-gear 5 is “awakened,” like chopper after eating three rumble balls or impel down guards
-gear 4 and its variants are “full” hito-hito
-gear 2 is hybrid form
-gear 3 was an early hint at the true nature of the fruit, since it doesnt make any sense at all unless the fruit’s real power is cartoon powers

this is assuming its even analogous to other zoans at all, considering it has the unprecedented ability to affect not just the environment, but the very flesh of luffy’s opponents

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, Gear Fifth feels like the proper awakened form since it seems to give Luffy near infinite reserves of vitality as long as he can maintain it alongside the normally Paramecia thing of making other things rubber, with the other three feeling like Chopper’s Zoan transformations where they focus on a specific “thing”.

its also the only thing we have a clear description of, since we got a scene of the elder stars explaining gomu gomu awakening at the same time luffy entered gear fifth, and kaidou called it out as a devil fruit awakening too. so i think that at least is set in stone, even if everything else is vague

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
all language is just numbers if you understand set theory

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Literally everyone else will combine their powers in 10 chapters of 9 two page spreads

this would be so sick

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
gear 5 can probably go to the moon by ordering a rocket from acme

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
great chapter. i love luffy and the straw hat crew, and one piece is the best

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
maybe devil fruits are really easy to apply and you dont even really have to eat them to get their powers. maybe you can just cut the elephant fruit open and smear its insides all over a sword and it just works

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i wonder if we will ever see a truly insane devil fruit combo, like a jacket that ate the laser-laser fruit

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
have we ever seen how vivi feels about robin joining the straw hats

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

im 100% behind crocodile being turned into a man by ivankov. my friend suggested to me that the recent manga scene of Law using haki to reverse a devil fruit-caused sex change might be oda retroactively justifying why crocodile didnt use haki

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Crocodile transitioning via devil fruit is folks with terminal internet brain grasping at the tiniest of straws. Zero chance it ends up as canon.

it makes sense. crocodile being luffy’s mom is a truly insane theory though

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Not sure what you're referencing, but no. I think it's people wanting to see themselves reflected in their favorite media straining credulity to make it happen.

dude ivankov said they were the only one who knew crocodiles darkest secret like five chapters after they turned a man into a woman.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

JuniperCake posted:

Sometimes people have theories that are a bit of a stretch. It's very easy to see patterns even when there aren't any. It doesn't have to be some agenda or cope thing. Sometimes its just fun to come up with crazy theories.

Only reason I don't like that one in particular is I think it ruins Ivankov's character a bit to threaten to out Crocodile if it was the case. But the pieces for the theory are still there.

i think its way stupider to say this theory doesnt make sense because it would be rude by 21st century american standards to threaten to out a trans man and ivankov wouldnt do that

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
youre the fools who are allowing your own personal hangups interfere with odas narrative. begone!!!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

JuniperCake posted:

That's a lot of unnecessary vitriol friend. People can say they like or don't like a thing without it being a big deal you know.

oh yeah? prove it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Star Platinum posted:

"Crocodile used to be a woman" might turn out to be true, but I don't think it's going to be the entirety of his secret for two major reasons. First of all, it would be way too simple and obvious, and secondly, I don't think it makes sense for Crocodile to feel embarrassed or threatened by it. Say what you will about Oda's character designs and gender roles, but the series cast has its fair share of powerful women, both in terms of combat power and social position or military rank. The world of One Piece is not so misogynistic that Crocodile having been a woman would be considered a weakness or embarrassment in itself. I expect the secret to be some specific identity, position or past action that would cause him to lose face in the eyes of other pirates if it was revealed. Considering the fact that it's Ivankov who knows the secret and the similarities between Crocodile and Doflamingo, maybe he used to be a member of a prominent royal family, or even a Celestial Dragon, who was overthrown by the revolutionaries.

hes probably recognizable as a notorious person that we’ve heard of somewhere in the story already…..my thoughts are on pirates though. hes a pirate for sure

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i think one of the few things that the show might improve from the comic is the clear passage of time due to the aging of the actors
edit: howmstever, i expect them to be absolutely hosed when they have to cast for flashbacks like after marineford or lmfao the wano roger flashback

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 26, 2023

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Here is my question regarding rereads. I’m all caught up via the manga. If I go through the story again via the anime would I be missing a lot of these ‘seeds’?

narratively, watching the anime is like reading the manga in super slow motion. so you actually get more time to notice the little foreshadowing moments because it lingers on them for hundreds of frames

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

I dunno how I feel about Skypeia now that I finished it. Like, i understand stuff from it is important later, but I also feel like the handling of the indigenous people aspect of the plot deserves scrutiny.

so scrutinize it and report back. it’s interesting

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i thought sanji lighting his leg on fire was to make his kicking attacks more cooking themed, but now that ive reread the manga 8 times and watched a few dozeen youtube theory videos i think its because sanji was genetically enhanced with lunarian blood

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
in all seriousness, sanjis leg lights on fire because hes kicking so fast that its igniting the atmosphere around it. obviously

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Would Chopper prescribe medical marijuana or is he straight edge

hmm….i dont know

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

No Wave posted:

People get more mad about TB where he talks about peeping than Wano where he actually peeps (in the coed bath at least). Admittedly the wano incident was funny.

the wano one is the punchline to the thriller bark setup which i think makes it good retroactively

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

I maintain that Shanks is a davey back fight for the hat.

i thought so too for a while but now i think itll be blackbeard

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

I feel like Blackbeard’s crew are too unhinged to follow rules. Vasco Shot was talking about raping Boa Hancock the last time we saw him - I just can’t imagine a guy like that strapping a ball to his head. But I COULD see Usopp fighting Yasopp in one of those carnival shooting games

foxy and his crew were also unhinged cheaters though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
things the ship doesnt have:

-tailor/hatter
-chandler
-shaman
-painter
-cryptographer
-barber