Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Croc also nearly killed Luffy twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I mean, if we're talking Ivankov. Do recall one of Ivankov's attacks is a forced gender change (admittedly one that makes the victims happy). I don't wholly buy Ivankov would not threaten someone with such a secret.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I suspect Oni is a race naturally sized between giants and humans with a lot of variance. Black Maria appears to also be one, and there's some implications that they have a bad history with humans beyond just Kaido's childhood.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Sanji being able to light his foot on fire is just retroactively related to him working hard enough to awaken to the powersets his awful brothers had from the start.

Consider, they can control electricity without a fruit or their power ranger suits, same thing.

However, it isn't from his father because he had to actually awaken his inner powers on his own through love for his found family.

Terrible page snipe, truly awful.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 8, 2022

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Sengoku's mythical human model fruit allows him to become a giant man made out of gold. But also gives him some of the qualities of Buddha permanently I would assume.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

No Wave posted:

I read shonen for manly tears. Not for those gross bellamy tears.

Everyone in One Piece makes gross tears, it's kind of a theme.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

CodfishCartographer posted:

Film Red: Is she actually dead? I found it hard to tell. It looked like Shank's crew were standing over a coffin, but it was such a quick shot that it was hard to tell. Obviously chances are better than not that she is, otherwise she'd still be with Shanks in the future and that would mean the movie is canonical.

Please continue to post your reactions :allears:

For what it's worth Uta is absolutely canon, she's shown up in the manga as a shadow behind Shanks when he thinks of the past, and more notably as a short panel set about how she wrote her songs. Her being a global idol, and the actual events of the movie, are not canon. She wants to re-connect with Shanks after writing her songs and that's the most we know about manga canon Uta. She also probably has the same back story in terms of Tot Musica, Luffy and Shanks. Shiki the Golden Lion is also a canon character but the movie he's part of is not canon.

As for actual discussion of the movie events Tot Musica seems like a relic of the Void Century, like the three god weapons. The music sheets are entombed in Ancient Kingdom style artwork (think Enel on the moon, or some of the art near Poneglyphs), plus if you listen to the Lyrics it sounds more or less like a final vengeful rally against an oppressive enemy. The sort of thing you use if you're about to be wiped out and your history erased.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The staircase thing is almost certainly that it's a tragedy with nothing Zoro can do about it. He can't fight the people who harmed Kuina, he can only accept his rival died tragically and he will never beat her. The tragedy is in the simplicity meaning there's no way around it for Zoro besides keeping Kuina's dream alive through her sword.

As for Film: RED discussion Tot Musica is at least written in Elder Futhark Runes. A real world ancient form of nordic writing/language. Specifically, it's the one used for rituals/offerings to the gods. The translation of those runes is basically a lot of repetition of words for god, freedom, heavy rain/hail, Tyr and New Beginnings. Combined with the translation for the Japanese lyrics (freedom, fight on, final destructive song of rebellion). I'm almost certain Tot Musica is a relic of the Void Century war, either of the Ancient Kingdom that was destroyed (hence the tomb of the song/sheet music has their art style paintings) or their victims (since it's highly possible they weren't good people). The song is a call for a godly saviour to smite foes, at the price of the souls of those singing in unison.

There's honestly something really fantastic about the moment the subtitles are in Elder Futhark Nordic Runes as Tot Musica begins and the entire thing turns into a JRPG final boss. It really paints the medium to say this is something monstrous and wrong and broken/dangerous/different.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 7, 2022

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

Red They didn't confirm whether she had died or not and if she's still alive, she's just....on Shanks' ship.

Film RED's plot isn't canon, but Uta existing and her backstory at Foosha is canon.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Drakkel posted:

To be fair Luffy's made of rubber so obviously he can hit Enel without needing haki

He actually couldn't hit Enel without using Haki if Enel turned to lightning, when he hit him initially it involved rebounding attacks off the wall so that even Luffy didn't know where they would hit. The rubber just meant Enel couldn't hurt him. Ironically, the reason Luffy can hit Enel in the end is the giant conductive gold ball Enel places on his arm.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

MonsterEnvy posted:

I could see Croc suddenly being at that level now. The relationship with Mihawk is presented as one of equals.

I think the deal with Buggy is almost entirely on the back of the followers he has and the territory he holds, since his organization is truly international. He's an emperor because he holds the territory of one, but that doesn't necessarily mean anyone in his organisation is emperor level.

On the other hand, yeah Mihawk is supposed to be a combat rival of Shanks (and simply lacks the territory/organisation to be considered an emperor). I think Crocodile might be below Mihawk, but does all the organisation stuff that Mihawk doesn't want to do.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Eiba posted:

I mean that might be true. But it might not be. Mihawk said he was no longer interested in Shanks because he no longer was a worthy rival or whatever. You seem to be assuming that's not the case and he just gave up for other reasons and now Shanks is way stronger. Honestly, that's plausible. But so is the idea that Mihawk is just that strong as an individual, and Shanks is a Yonkou because of his orginization/influence/interest in the One Piece/something else that Mihawk lacks. I don't think we have any reasonable evidence to the contrary.

Just because Shanks has a higher "rank" doesn't mean he's obviously stronger. We don't really have any evidence on the subject besides some insinuation from Mihawk.

It's specifically related to Shanks losing his dominant arm, he's no longer a worthwhile rival Swordsman specifically.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Gyges posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and argue that figuring out a lop level magic move that only like 3 people can do is way more mentally straining than signing documents and reading reports.

Shadow Clone is hilariously easy to perform, the reason so few people know it is you can kill yourself doing it really easily. Specifically the thousand man version Naruto actually learns is forbidden because if you son't have enough Chakra to split evenly between each clone you flat out kill yourself instantly with Chakra Exhaustion.

The fact that doing the jutsu itself is so easy for such a potentially fatal cost is why it's in the forbidden scroll.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Gyges posted:

We were talking about that time that he used thousands of clones to brute force learn a jutsu with Kakashi. Which was when we found out that Naruto is so loving stupid that he never noticed the massive info dumps he was getting during his years of summoning and unsummoning the population of a small city at a time.

Like, it ended up being a good expansion of the technique that each clone can be used for recon and knowledge expansion. However it makes very little sense with how clones were used and presented before that. Even if you don't have the chakra to mass clone, a single clone going on a "suicide" mission could get so much intel that there's no possible way to see it other than everyone is a dumbass for not doings so before.

Even just one clone halves your chakra and is potentially fatal for some ninja, and makes you significantly more vulnerable if you send it out as a scout instead of using it as an additional fighter.

Also, we don't really see many Ninja who use the technique, but I feel like the one person scputing thing did happen with at least Kakashi or Itachi once.

It also could totally fail to get any informtation since they die to any amount of physical damage.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Delphisage posted:

With an act of direct aggression towards a Yonko when he was so against it just a couple chapters ago?

Lucci already did it so might as well go all in.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The big point of Kuina dying by falling down stairs is that Zoro cannot beat stairs, there's nothing for him to fight no option for vengeance or ability to prove himself. Kuina didn't lose to someone, she wasn't killed by anyone, Zoro must live forever questioning if he could beat Kuina in a fight (he certainly argued against the things her dad told her) because nobody ever beat her. She died by accident.

It has to be a tragedy that Zoro is incapable of solving/responding to with violent vengeance because the point is that he will never be able to prove to himself that he would have beaten Kuina in the end.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Brandfarlig posted:

Robots aren't clones though

Germa uses an entire clone army grown in vats.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

No Wave posted:

Wapol??? Am I forgetting something, what's he doing there?

If I recall correctly he is explicitly the source of Wapometal, a new metal that the Navy have been using to upgrade their weapons and stuff. Sorta makes sense he ended up with Vegapunk.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

the bitcoin of weed posted:

also for what its worth all the places you see getting buster called at that point are either very close to navy headquarters or there was a thoroughly planned operation to destroy the place ahead of time, and I don't know if this ever comes up but presumably the world government/navy has eternal poses to everywhere they consider important

Furthermore Since the Buster Call is, well, called via a specially bred Transponder Snail that transmits its location to Headquarters, it is highly possible they can use the snail to navigate to the island that the Buster Call was requested. It might even have its own magnetism for a sort of eternal log pose based system.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Paper Lion posted:

lucci is in a strange situation as a character because hes clearly unrepentantly evil and uses his position to be a licensed killed, but near the end of wano when we saw him he was talking in a way that showed he was understanding of the realpolitik involved in the situation and didnt personally approve of it or the government broadly, so he really could end up going in any kind of direction

Lucci supports the government because it lets him get paid for killing people, which he likes. That doesn't mean he necessarily likes the orders/systems that empower him, just the results of that. If the government provided sufficient impetus to his personal desires/interests, he probably would leave simply because he's got no loyalty to the system itself it just lets him do the things he wants and likes to do.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

My rankings for Vegapunk are as follows.

1. Vegapunk
2. Vegapunk
3. Vegapunk
4. Vegapunk
5. Vegapunk
6. Vegapunk
7. Vegapunk

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Xelkelvos posted:

Odyssey, looking at Steam reviews, seems kinda disappointing sadly

It's pretty good but not fantastic, is my experience with it so far.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Kaido and Big Mom will quietly retire together obviously.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

For what it is worth, Uta is in a similar situation to Shiki as far as canon. The character exists, the movie events did not happen.

Remember she had a bunch of panels in the manga about how she wrote her music.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Law should definitely be Blossom (smarts), Luffy Bubbles (joy and the laughter) and Kidd Buttercup (toughest/violent fighter) though. They need to be rotate one to the left in this image basically.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Desumaytah posted:

Counterpoint: Blossom is the leader. Therefore Luffy.

Law and Kidd can fight for the scraps.

She barely can control the other two but comes up with the plans and watches as they're ignored anyway. Absolutely Law.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Electric Phantasm posted:

I just want to know what happens when he gets knocked out or just says "gently caress it I'm not an island anymore"

My guess he's got a paramythia that lets him fuse with islands. Like the stone guy from Doflamingo's crew. The Island already existed, so if he stops being the island he simply stops having control over the land.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

anime was right posted:

something that i really appreciate about one piece is oda paced it so the island destroying energy blasts are exclusive to the most powerful dudes in the serious and at the very last arc, basically.

Enel was in the first half of the grand line.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Scholtz posted:

Garp could've saved Ace.

We've known this for a long time. It's easily the worst narrative action Garp has taken.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Gyges posted:

Yeah, fusing with the entirety of the island is probably the real reason he's the only one arguing against just destroying things. He's couching it as Captain's orders to try and give more weight to his desire to not get hurt by blowing up parts of what he's possessing.

It probably doesn't affect his "real" body but stings a little at a volume comparable to the damage to the island.

He does mention feeling stuff in his "heart" at one point, or shoulder, some body part. Which is then revealed to be the destruction that Koby's escape is causing.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

RatHat posted:

I wouldn’t worry too much about how other characters navigate through the Grand line without log poses, Oda kinda wrote himself into a corner by making them only work one way.

Eternal Poses and Vivre Cards both provide alternative methods of navigation besides log poses. Also if you do actually know where you're wanting to go it is presumably possible to use traditional navigation if you're particularly skilled.

The Log Poses are used because you generally don't know where you're going and want to reach the end of the Grand Line, and an island which only one crew has known to have visited, which they guide you too. Plus unless you're Nami levelled skill going in a straight line on the Grand Line is near impossible, from the nightmare hell weather alone.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

hatty posted:

Blackbeard carries a fruit basket wherever he goes, that's his secret

The idea that Blackbeard covered up what he was doing with Whitebeard because he actually has a plant that grows every kind of fruit that he's using to extract Devil Fruit would actually be kind of amazing. Maybe they're all the size of cherries.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

blizzardvizard posted:

I feel like we can assume that all the Strawhats have learned to use some form of Haki offscreen at this point. I can't imagine Robin didn't learn how to use it in the 2 years she spent with the Revolutionary Army, for example

Nami's ability to predict the weather is probably tied to Observation Haki in some way too

It's because she's a witch.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Flair posted:

I am a bit confused by Sabo's statement at the end. If/when the government finds out he survived and returned to the Revolutionary Army, wouldn't they cleanse the entire army even if he did not tell anyone, let alone Dragon and Ivankov? The government deleted a whole island/kingdom/nation because of him.

I think it's the other way around, they were deleting the island and he happened to have ended up on it "How unfortunate for him".

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Yeah, regardless of how powerful Shanks is or is not at the time, it doesn't matter, because his focus isn't defeating the Lord of the Coast. It's saving Luffy's life, he could have potentially wrecked the Sea King, but there's no guarantee he'd save Luffy doing so.

He's ignoring the monster, because it matters less to him that it can (and does) bite his arm off than Luffy's survival. It's that simple (hopefully).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Scallop Eyes posted:

Is Water 7 a communist city, where the state controls the main mode of production and the workers get their due shares, or is it a ultra capitalist one where the CEO of the biggest company controls all the political power?

It's a corporate town made by multiple separate small businesses wanting a palce for all their workers to live without long (ocean) commutes. This is why the train is so important, it's the equivalent of modern FIFO systems, and is what allows Water 7 to primarily be full of either Shipwright businesses, or the required secondary businesses to support such a large population of shipwrights.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Scholtz posted:

Is the Berry a fiat money, and if not, what is it backed by?

Citrus berries.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

“Why is my country having Desert problems?” the king asks the pirate with Desert powers.

I thought the idea was that Cobra more or less knows Crocodile is full of poo poo, but cannot prove it. Hence Vivi infiltrating Baroque Works to find said confirmation/proof.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Kild posted:

Kaido went to Wano and sat on his rear end to wait for Joyboy to kick his rear end.

Kaido believed super hard in Joyboy, he also knew he couldn't be Joyboy, so he decided he would be the mountain Joyboy has to conquer. Then nobody lived up to that mountain until Luffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Nephthys posted:

I think he's a Hakiman. I was thinking about this the other day because Big Mom uses a sword and would most likely kick Mihawks butt so shouldn't she or Shanks be the strongest swordsman? But I think the idea of being a "swordsman" is that you're actually using skill and technique to fight rather than just smashing everything with haki.*

*but really Mihawk and Zoro also kind of just do this lol

Mihawk considers Shanks minus his dominant hand to no longer be a worthy rival. Assuming he cannot fight Emperors in a 1 on 1 Greates Swordsman challenge seems, ill-advised. Remember that Emperor status is about territory, not strictly combat prowess, and Mihawk holds zero territory regardless of his personal strength. He also isn't interested in fighting the Emperors and their Forces, but he clearly is somewhere on their level. The Marines were scared of Mihawk going solo the most, also the Mihawk Seraphim is clearly putting in a lot of work.