Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What setting makes it so my screen wakes every time i bump the table it's sitting on? I have raise to wake turned off. I also tried turning off tap/swipe to wake.

EDIT: It just randomly stopped doing it. Wtf? The slightest motion or bumping the desk was causing the screen to wake constantly and after locking it and unlocking it 5 or 6 times it stopped.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

What setting makes it so my screen wakes every time i bump the table it's sitting on? I have raise to wake turned off. I also tried turning off tap/swipe to wake.

EDIT: It just randomly stopped doing it. Wtf? The slightest motion or bumping the desk was causing the screen to wake constantly and after locking it and unlocking it 5 or 6 times it stopped.

And now it randomly started again. The gently caress apple? I'm talking I set my water bottle on the desk a foot away and the screen wakes. If I'm holding it and lock it with the button, the screen immediately wakes again to the lock screen for a few seconds.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 26, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I simply won’t use all my brute strength to crush my phone in my hands.

coward

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Is there any way to make the camera remember your settings specifically for HEIF max? Seems weird that’s the only thing I have to manually switch on every time I open the camera when everything else allows a remember setting option

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I might trade in my 13 pro for a 15. I've got a big hike coming up and the emergency SOS feature sounds good for that. What's the vibe out there like right now in terms of trade ins? Are they going like hotcakes?

How is the 15 in general? Is this "just another iphone" with a better camera, but also some more random crap no one asked for?

I went from base 12 to Pixel 7 to 15 Pro Max and I'm very happy with it. Experientially, it feels like just coming back to the 12 (albeit bigger) but with an even better camera than the Pixel had (which I've used for professional photography work). The 5x optical zoom and raw formats are great. Battery life has been incredible this week as well, even with "new phone" usage time. Log Prores video is very impressive as well. Kind of mind blowing how good the files are from this thing. The extra stuff (always on display, etc) I've turned off and not felt bothered by at all.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

xzzy posted:

Pitney Bowes is nothing but a label printer, they basically do the same thing pirateship does but at an enterprise level. Your label was actually a USPS label and the package when through the USPS.

My Pirate Ship labels actually always say Pitney Bowes too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

On android I seem to remember you can do it from either the left or the right, which is really sensible

swiping from the right to go back was the worst part of android and the one thing i couldn't disable. Hated it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mental Hospitality posted:

Edit: Or did you mean you were just constantly making back gestures on Android unintentionally.

Yeah that, it would even trigger when doing competing base UI gestures like moving the crop on a photo in the default app. Real dumb.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I love the new autocorrect red lining words that are completely normal and spelled correctly.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I like the button assigned to camera if phone is vertical, video if it’s horizontal, flashlight if pointing down, and silent if face down

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I photographed a big concert the other night and decided to shoot a few frames on the 15 pro max while moving around the venue. Very impressive.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Quackles posted:

Babymetal? I see you are a person of culture.

Hell yeah. You can see my real photos here and here

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

American McGay posted:

Those sure are cellphone pictures of a concert.

Yes, I'm glad you are semiliterate.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What’s wrong with Crystal? Is the only one I’ve ever had and seems to work fine.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Some goons have friends and family that talk to them

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

hatty posted:

I buy albums on iTunes still

Why?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Taima posted:

I'm having some issues taking photos with the 15 pro max?

It gets blurry around the outside edges. I assume this is some kind of intentional effect or something, but I hate it, I'm just wondering how to remove it if anyone knows :) thanks.

What lens/focal length? Also post an example and it’ll be much easier to diagnose

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My 15 pro max never had a problem until two nights ago I plugged it in at 40% and I saw a notification pop up at 60% that it was too hot to continue charging. Same cable, charger, and outlet as always. Phone wasn't running anything, screen off. Hasn't happened again since. Current on all updates.

They definitely gotta figure out what's going on.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

The only MagSafe accessories that exist still are stands (whether charging or not), pop socket alternatives and wallets.

It hasn’t really taken off.

I don't know what else people would really want from it but it's absolutely taken off and succeeded at exactly what it meant to and a few novel things like this:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Do you want like a MagSafe hand mixer or something?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My 15 pro max has randomly gotten itself very hot to the touch while sitting on a desk doing nothing two times now. Screen off, no Bluetooth, etc. a third time it overheated while charging on the official apple cable and brick I use every night.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Macichne Leainig posted:

Having USB-C for the few times I actually want a cable has been a life changer.

I actually traveled with one cable recently. One USB-C cable for my iPhone and my Kindle. The latter of which didn't really need charging, because even reading a quarter of Asimov's Foundation on my flights only makes it lose 10% battery!

I lived the dream like this on a recent work trip. 1 double C brick for my phone, ipad, 2 cameras, and kindle. Was great.

Of course, my plane and train didn't have AC outlets and only had USB ports, so gently caress me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kalman posted:

That’s been standard behavior for a while AFAIK - phone will raise ISO until it can hit 1/60 shutter speed, but it won’t trade off past that point. (1/60 is usually fine for handheld shots to remain crisp, though obviously there are exceptions.)

For action you want to aim for 1/100+. For dogs running, more like 1/200th. Best bet (and I'm becoming a broken record on this) is to download Lightroom (free) and use the camera function there to set manual shutter. Leave ISO and aperture on auto.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

flashman posted:

This is what the lady on the phone told me it would cost for an iPhone 14 pro max screen replacement. This is other country money so probably 700?

I do not want a new screen I want iOS 16 or at least one that let's me charge my phone once again by plugging it in. Barring that I want a new freaking phone but they are not very cooperative

So why did frame it as your phone just stopped charging and they wanted 900 to fix it and leave out the crucial bit of info that the money was to include a screen repair?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rinkles posted:

The camera on the 15 is that much better?

Video yes by a mile, if you are able to grade log footage.

Photo yes but by a smaller margin.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

I still haven't quite worked out what "cinematic mode" is for videos on the 15 Pro. Just that focusing on a new subject looks smoother?

It does a fake bokeh effect like portrait mode photos for shallow depth of field. It’s not great.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

A lot of the modern camera tech in phones overdoes the neural network processing stuff. I know a guy that makes his living off of phone photos and he has a stash of sealed iphone 5's because those were the best before the Apple processing started taking over and any of the modern ones look too digital and processed for the style and brand he's built around his photography.

It's nice that apple finally allows native raw shots with no processing applied. I don't know if that's hardware or iOS version limited but it was a good surprise coming to the 15 pro max.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 29, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

All genres are fake

Except jazz.

My phone won't stop pausing audio randomly (screen on or off) as well as giving double notifications in everything. As in, I'll see the notification for an email, go archive it, then it all happens again. Same with calls and texts, even after I reply, etc. Never seen anything like this with iPhone.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Any wireless earphones in the ~$30 price range that you’d consider passable?

Anker Soundcore have a few models in that range. I have the Life whatever ones from them and they're great. Sound quality, battery life, and noise cancelling are all very good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Here’s a fun new iPhone 15 pro max bug:

Plugged the 12% phone into a fully charged battery pack last night when I went to sleep, woke up to the phone being hot to touch but dead and the battery pack fully drained. Where’d that juice go? The phone got hot but drained itself and the battery pack without gaining any charge. It never loses even 10% overnight even when not plugged in. The battery pack works fine all the time otherwise.

I’ve seen it overheat randomly when charging and stop, but never seen it drain itself while plugged up but overheat at the same time. Something is hosed with the 15 charging.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 29, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dogen posted:

I'd blame the battery pack before the iphone if it doesn't do that plugged into the wall.

It has done similar where it overheats but doesn’t charge

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

frogbs posted:

I think your phone was trying to charge the battery pack. This happens to me with my Anker pack and my 15 Pro when I connect them via usb-c. My workaround is to connect using a usb-a to usb-c cable, which seems to charge the phone normally. I think when you go usb-c to usb-c the iPhone tries to charge some battery packs, even when it shouldn’t.

I use this same pack and cable all the time and it works perfectly. If it were trying to charge the pack, I don't the pack wouldn't go from full to empty. The phone was seemingly drawing full power but not banking any of it and just converting it straight to heat for hours.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

xzzy posted:

That reminds me, the action button kinda seems like a dud. I thought I would like it and the idea of it is definitely awesome, but it turns out there's not really anything I need hot and ready on a dedicated button.

Its benefit is vastly outweighed by how often I hit it instead of volume up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah dynamic island is a dud for me. I hate accidentally tapping it. It’s not useful for anything really.

Battery life on the 15 pro max is insane though. Truly a two day battery performance for me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Video is a much bigger gap than photo thanks to ProRes + log, but having the HEIF and other raw options for photo is pretty big too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, especially since this is really just 12 with some tricks with the pixels.

"Long story short though a 12MP quad bayer sensor does have more photosites (not pixels!) than a normal 12MP camera. However those extra photosites are going towards dynamic range and noise performance, not detail."

There is a benefit but it's not the same as going to a true 48mp image.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Inner Light posted:

Typically, when I have seen this implemented, the self checkout option is available only when the store has an employee physically working. At other times, the store will be closed and you won’t be able to access items or check out. The biggest reason for this is probably anti theft, they aren’t willing to trust without a human working people won’t just ransack the entire store quickly.

Airports now frequently have food/drink stands that are pure self check out with no employees at all, just cameras. Just used one in Nashville but I’ve seen them in Dallas, Orlando, and LA too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I really hope the rumors about the size increase for the 16 Pro are true. I’d love to step down from a Pro Max to a slightly smaller Pro

My wife has a 15 pro and I have a 15 pro max, I don't know how/why you'd increase the pro without just making them the same size. They're already very close.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

SE formfactor with no bezel + faceID in a tiny tiny notch but 15 pro max battery life would be my dream iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The AI looking blurry rear end version of the talking head it makes for your FaceTime avatar is some uncanny valley poo poo :lol:

I would love a 4k AR scalable workspace for things like photoshop and Lightroom, but not something that has is heavy, bulky, and has a cable attached to my loving head. Maybe in another decade when it can be a lightweight pair of glasses.