Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I mean at first glance those docs do look authentic, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Minecraft MAPS!

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Store everything forever and find a use for it later. This is literally how data is treated everywhere today.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I'm a senior level sysadmin and at my level you basically have total access to anything and everything at the organization you work for. It's just the nature of the job that you need access to everything.

Information is all digital nowadays and you can't have someone build a system that they don't have access to themselves. IT guys usually have the keys to the kingdom.

Most IT guys have the power to knock a company back to the stone age in a few minutes if they felt so inclined. Domain admin is a hell of a drug.

cr0y fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 14, 2023

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

I don’t understand why this has to be a security issue that couldn’t be solved by encrypting individual files and not giving the IT admin the key.

Who is managing the provisioning of the encryption keys?

I'm not saying that it can't be done, and I agree that in this case someone is playing real fast and loose with granting privileges to computer toucher accounts.

There are a million people who would have access to this stuff as part of their day job. Off the top of my head the following job types could argue the need for access to everything:

-Database admin
-Backup/recovery
-Certain levels of application support and customer service (customers in this case being analysts whose specialty is intelligence but not necessarily IT)
-Auditors
-maybeeee app developers in some cases
-document management support for whatever this poo poo is stored in
-key management app support
-app owners of whatever facilitates sharing this stuff throughout the federal government/military
Etc etc

cr0y fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 14, 2023

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

OddObserver posted:

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1653456888971837462

Managing risks on those sorts of ops seems scary....

Are those fuel tankers?

E: holy God Twitter advertising has gone to poo poo. Just obnoxious video ads for stupid car cupholder gizmos

**IK note: please use timg tag in the future for big images (especially offtopic ones) to keep the thread cleaner**

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 2, 2023

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I know absolutely nothing but from what I've learned from you guys over the past year or so the US/EU stationing NATO bodies and assets in Ukraine as a trip wire defense seems really unlikely and would be seen from Russia as a giant escalation.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Wow that's gonna make someone very mald

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Chalks posted:

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1657341011763380224

"Two drones knocking a few tiles off the roof of the Kremlin? Why would Ukraine do something so pointless?"

*Panicked Russian air defences shoot down two of their own fighter jets and a helicopter in the same day*

"oh"

So that's what air defense doing

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I don't think anyone even by the most flexible of definitions considers storm shadows to be drones. I really can't think of what exists that both has hundreds to spare and that kind of range?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

If that AD kill rate is anywhere near accurate that is absurdly good.

Ship em another patriot system now :toot:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

They destroyed the patriot (missiles) by slamming their own cruise missiles into them.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Pablo Bluth posted:

Some details about the new UK drones starting to leak out but it's still quite vague.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/05/15/britain-send-ukraine-suicide-drones-twice-the-range-himars/

So this sounds like something brand new? I never knew about switchblades until this conflict so I wouldn't be surprised if some new weapon gets unveiled.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

OddObserver posted:

https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/1658986422307635204

... About in time for a possible next round. Hopefully they relocated it some....

:owned:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

FMguru posted:

The Guardian article on this has the before-and-after pictures on a slider so you can see the changes over time

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2023/may/18/stark-before-and-after-images-reveal-the-obliteration-of-bakhmut

Jesus Christ

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Djarum posted:

No, it is because boomers and to some extent Gen X were raised with insane amounts of propaganda telling them that Russia is going to kill us all at any time. Only Capitalism and God will save you! I am of the age for the very tail end of all that nonsense as the Wall came down soon after I started school, so I only got a small amount of the "nuclear drills" and other bullshit. But I can completely see how that would color your views on this stuff for life.

To be fair the threat of nuclear annihilation was very real and that piece of it definitely wasn't propaganda.

Even if we didn't square off with each other intentionally there are multiple occasions of hair trigger systems nearly firing and people just generally loving up or misreading the data that they were getting that could have had the entire thing going south.

cr0y fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 19, 2023

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Nm

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Burning_Monk posted:

Yeah, I mean Ukraine destroyed the literally Black Sea Fleet's Flagship with the cunning plan of deploying TWO drones instead of one.

The Russian navy once last a ship to an alligator. A whole ship!

I thought they got that one with a Neptune?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Nenonen posted:

My personal horror, if I were some kind of engineer involved in precise stuff, would be to mess up between nanometres and nautical miles.

You meant to bomb Moscow but it comes down on your own crotch

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Why wouldn't they just use like red and yellow or something.

Periwinkle are confirmed strikes, misses are in lilac

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

putin can barely into a computer himself so...

It's worse when he accidentally the whole thing

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Is the B-52 even considered to be part of the triad anymore with the creation of the B-2 and the brand new B-21?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Sorry I only size my hornets in Starbucks units.

Send them the Venti Hornets

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

fatherboxx posted:

Weird, probably Kadyrov's idea of a joke post since a lot of Russian officials insist that Delimkhanov is alive

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1668911534184038403?t=tAa5BjCFhP72SlsP8i5F9Q&s=19

Is there more to this joke other than the obvious "no we are not going to tell you poo poo"?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

What's the delivery mechanism for the cluster munitions in question? HIMARS? Or are they literally in an artillery shell form factor?;

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I wonder if the road section of the bridge also had infrastructure type connections, such as electrical/fiber optic. The post earlier that mentioned cell service being down in Crimea has me wondering...

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Damaging the bridge even briefly cuts supplies to the Russian army. That gives the Ukrainians an advantage. There are already reports on Twitter the land route out of Crimea is backed up 25 km.

The rail line is still operable which really makes me sad

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Oh word?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Flavahbeast posted:

He cannot be contained

Goddammit wrong thread

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Yea when we hear drone we assume the ones that fly but the ground based ones for medevac are definitely a thing.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Special moon operation going according to plan

Good quote

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

FishMcCool posted:

NATO caught red-handed after launching a special grazing operation across the Russian border: https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-demands-norway-pay-millions-for-reindeer-border-crossing-2023-8?r=US&IR=T

Oh deer :ohdear:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Are cruise missile decoys a thing? Or does that not make any sense because to get a dummy bomb to fly is probably nearly as expensive as to just put explosives on it.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

and Ukraine doesn't have any land-based missiles with that type of range (that we know about).

I'm assuming this is way outside the range of an ATACMS?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I would love to see the data on how many small size generators have been trucked into Ukraine over the past year.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Who in the gently caress was that Putin / Tucker interview even for?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

buglord posted:

I thought bills start in the house and go through the senate? Or can it be any direction?

They can start in either the house or Senate

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Morrow posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1763180896348258459

Clancychat it may be, but Russia is definitely rattled by talk of western troops in Ukraine and they've drawn a new red line around it.

Doesn't he say this about literally everything

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

There is also a movie about the Kursk

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kursk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Completely off topic but I was shocked to find out that Excalibur guided shells cost north of a half million a pop.

What's a typical dumb shell? Couple thousand bucks?