Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Xandu posted:

They're not that common.

He's probably having his people check all the flower arrangements and chocolate boxes for bombs.

Can't say that I blame him. His inner-circle was penetrated and people that he saw every day were blown to bits. I'd be triple-checking my sock drawer right about now and putting out a job posting for a food taster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Zeroisanumber posted:

Can't say that I blame him. His inner-circle was penetrated and people that he saw every day were blown to bits. I'd be triple-checking my sock drawer right about now and putting out a job posting for a food taster.

The only thing he can do at this point, apart from a total purge which won't happen, is to leave. He has to know this. And by leave, I don't mean step down, I mean... well, Latakia, and then Tunis or Tehran. It's over, Bashar. Let it go.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Brown Moses posted:

I wonder how Iran will react to this sudden turn of events. Any think there's a chance of military intervention from Iran?

I hope not. I'd imagine we'd see Israel lose their poo poo if Iran did. And then we would be obliged to step in, probably under the guise of "NATO". WWIII anyone?

Zeroisanumber posted:

Gadaffi had his inner circle penetrated towards the end as well... :downsrim:

Kempo Yellow Belt fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 18, 2012

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Young Freud posted:

The rebels haven't taken the state media apparatus yet?

Anyone seeing anything more about this? It sounded like they were set to take it over, but now I can't find anything about it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Golbez posted:

The only thing he can do at this point, apart from a total purge which won't happen, is to leave. He has to know this. And by leave, I don't mean step down, I mean... well, Latakia, and then Tunis or Tehran. It's over, Bashar. Let it go.

I doubt Tunis would let him in except to drag him into the Hague for using cluster bombs on residential areas/the numerous massacres of civilians/women/children specifically. The new guy just gave a speech in France about how Tunis is now cool with the West, I doubt they'd want to poo poo all over that position by giving Assad shelter after all that's happened.

e: Speaking of the Hague, a sobering thought is the idea of Assad gassing Damascus because he'd rather die by his own fumes/live in a cell than die at the hands of the rebels. I'm pretty sure international war crimes tribunals don't impose the death sentence anymore.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 18, 2012

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Volkerball posted:

Anyone seeing anything more about this? It sounded like they were set to take it over, but now I can't find anything about it.

Even though it was an amazing day for the rebs the military hasn't actually disbanded itself yet.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

The Entire Universe posted:

I doubt Tunis would let him in except to drag him into the Hague for using cluster bombs on residential areas/the numerous massacres of civilians/women/children specifically. The new guy just gave a speech in France about how Tunis is now cool with the West, I doubt they'd want to poo poo all over that position by giving Assad shelter after all that's happened.

I was just including that because Tunisia offered asylum to Assad back in February and March, basically saying, "We are giving you an out: You can live here in luxury, and Syria gets freedom". Of course, that was before he started massacring his people wholesale, so the offer probably no longer stands.

I suppose Tehran, maybe Beirut for the short-term, Moscow, Beijing... but his only option to save his own life, is to escape Damascus, and probably Syria, now. At this rate, he has hours left.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Golbez posted:

I was just including that because Tunisia offered asylum to Assad back in February and March, basically saying, "We are giving you an out: You can live here in luxury, and Syria gets freedom". Of course, that was before he started massacring his people wholesale, so the offer probably no longer stands.

I suppose Tehran, maybe Beirut for the short-term, Moscow, Beijing... but his only option to save his own life, is to escape Damascus, and probably Syria, now. At this rate, he has hours left.

Yeah, Tehran or Beirut might be the top destinations. Moscow and Beijing are a little too close to the international community to be unmoved by negotiations, I think.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, Tehran or Beirut might be the top destinations. Moscow and Beijing are a little too close to the international community to be unmoved by negotiations, I think.

The Day Putin just says :getin:

:ohdear:

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Golbez posted:

At this rate, he has hours left.

Eh he could probably run a fiefdom out of Latakia for a few weeks or months if he so wishes.

Also consider West Africa or the Sahel for escape opportunities, possibly.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
I wonder if, when he realizes the end is really at his front door, he would decide to do a scorched earth deployment of his chemical weapons stockpile.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

truth masseuse posted:

I wonder if, when he realizes the end is really at his front door, he would decide to do a scorched earth deployment of his chemical weapons stockpile.

If it was really the bitter, desperate end and not a tactical move in limited capactiy I wouldn't be suprirsed if there were refusal orders a la Hitler's call for destroying German infrastructure. Clearly his security has been compromised -- trust must be minimal.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe the rumors of mass defections were from an order to use chemical weapons on the people?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

MothraAttack posted:

If it was really the bitter, desperate end and not a tactical move in limited capactiy I wouldn't be suprirsed if there were refusal orders a la Hitler's call for destroying German infrastructure. Clearly his security has been compromised -- trust must be minimal.

Remember what the Shabiha have been writing on the walls of villages they've attacked: "Assad or we'll burn the country down." There's probably quite a few fanatics out there who wouldn't object to settling for chemical weapons instead.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

McDowell posted:

The Day Putin just says :getin:

:ohdear:

I could see Assad taking off and setting up some sort of government-in-exile in Russia. If sectarian violence erupts in his wake, then the Russians can then ask for a "peacekeeping intervention" to establish the legitimate government and most of the Security Council might follow along with it.

Even the Americans, especially if it looks like al-Qaeda-backed Islamists are looking to take over. Assad would at least be a devil we know.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

suboptimal posted:

Remember what the Shabiha have been writing on the walls of villages they've attacked: "Assad or we'll burn the country down." There's probably quite a few fanatics out there who wouldn't object to settling for chemical weapons instead.

Yeah I think the Shabiha are analogous to the SS in this situation, but it would be a matter of weaponizing them with the weapons that are presumably in the army's control. Although things are so confusing it's of course impossible to discern what's up there.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
It's past midnight there, I don't expect much more news until morning, and there's no way in hell anyone would try to put Assad back into power, he's had absolute power for decades, that's why there's been 17 months of civil war.

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 18, 2012

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Don't rule out Minsk either. Deposed leaders have a tendency to end up there, or try to. Saddam Hussein's sons didn't quite make it.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Well it looks like the FSA might be trying to take the Damascus International Airport? Lots of conflicting accounts, but what would be the strategic worth in that right now?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Stops senior figures from fleeing.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

MothraAttack posted:

Well it looks like the FSA might be trying to take the Damascus International Airport? Lots of conflicting accounts, but what would be the strategic worth in that right now?

It is an important escape route for obvious reasons.

The reaction to Nasrallah's speech. "The blood of martyrs is on your turban, Hassan"

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Xandu posted:

Stops senior figures from fleeing.

Granted, but they would need to go after the Mezzeh military airport as well. Altough I must say the FSA has been surprisingly coordinated among this.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's my latest video selection of FSA weapons and equipment.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

MothraAttack posted:

Granted, but they would need to go after the Mezzeh military airport as well. Altough I must say the FSA has been surprisingly coordinated among this.

They've been claiming that they're about to take over the airport all year and it hasn't happened.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Hold your horses, FSA has not captured Damascus and Elvis has not left the building yet. It's way too early to tell how the fight for the capital will end or how long it will last.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

MothraAttack posted:

I'm guessing that the specific conditions at Mezzeh versus Damascus International Airport mean different aircraft that can take off from, so closing either one limits the regime's escape options no?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How do you communicate with your sources and journos, Brown Moses? It has to pretty risky for some, so do you have a public key people can use to e-mail you?

CoderCat
May 7, 2005

Science, it works. :science:

Baron FU posted:

Alawites to the grave Christians to Beirut was a popular chant earlier in the revolution. So probably pretty loving bad.
This is not true. The chant was invented by the Assad propaganda machine. I challenge you to produce one video with this chant. Shouldn't be difficult if it's popular as you claim.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Highspeeddub posted:

Don't rule out Minsk either. Deposed leaders have a tendency to end up there, or try to. Saddam Hussein's sons didn't quite make it.

http://youtu.be/138gX3wolOo

Listen to Worf, Bashar.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

ufarn posted:

How do you communicate with your sources and journos, Brown Moses? It has to pretty risky for some, so do you have a public key people can use to e-mail you?

Activists seem totally unconcerned about that, I've offered to do it, but they don't seem to think it's an issue. Most of my chat with activists is via Twitter unless they need to send me something larger. I've previously used absurdly well encrypted chat rooms for longer discussion on phone hacking related stuff though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Activists seem totally unconcerned about that, I've offered to do it, but they don't seem to think it's an issue. Most of my chat with activists is via Twitter unless they need to send me something larger. I've previously used absurdly well encrypted chat rooms for longer discussion on phone hacking related stuff though.
Could you put the public key up on your website, though? Who knows if someone will have something one day, but won't send it because of a lack of PKC.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

truth masseuse posted:

Gadaffi had his inner circle penetrated towards the end as well... :downsrim:

Bwahaha, hilarious! He was sodomized at gunpoint and then brutally murdered! Vintage SA poo poo right here! We laugh at anything!!!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Augure posted:

Bwahaha, hilarious! He was sodomized at gunpoint and then brutally murdered! Vintage SA poo poo right here! We laugh at anything!!!

*Yakkety sax plays while Gadaffi is bloodily beaten with sticks*

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Augure posted:

Good times

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
i am very sad about Bruno being probated, I would love to see what he's got to say about this new development of the zionist plot :allears:

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Tastes like justice.

SexyBlindfold posted:

i am very sad about Bruno being probated, I would love to see what he's got to say about this new development of the zionist plot :allears:

Would also like to hear what he has to say about the bombings in Bulgaria today, and bombings elsewhere, that Israel is blaming on Iran.

Kempo Yellow Belt fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 18, 2012

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

that's not what he was wearing when he got shot!! i would never eat such an inaccurate cake

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Anyone know if this stream is actually live? It appears to show protestors fighting riot police.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
It says it's from a little while ago. Near the Syrian Embassy in Cairo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
edit: whoops

• Locked thread