Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

yaoi prophet posted:

i too am vaguely working on a sci-fi roguelike except i'm doing it in haskell because i hate myself

i'm going to use the BoI concept of unlocking things because i think that makes the constant stream of deaths due to bullshit/lack of player skill more tolerable

how do you guys make games? like do you actually have a vision of a fun idea or are you just trying to clone something

ive always thought "man making a game would rule" but the only ideas i ever have are far out of my actual reach

re: roguelikes; ive never really enjoyed a roguelike except ones barely related to the genre like FTL

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

I have free will to do what I want but I choose to oscillate.

yaoi prophet posted:

i too am vaguely working on a sci-fi roguelike except i'm doing it in haskell because i hate myself

oh god, you must really hate yourself

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

it's in java :blush:

ugh. loving java. its too easy and it just works. i just added a lib via maven and implemented the IrcBot interface and now its up and running. god drat loving java. i want to have to fix bugs in the library and deal with os + runtime inconsistencies!!!

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

has anyone gotten 'fatal error: too many errors' from g++ or clang because i am not convinced this is normal

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
fatal error: using whatever g++ or clang is

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

Shaggar posted:

fatal error: using whatever g++ or clang is

are you serious

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah. those are deprecated. time to move on to the future.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
i've been toying for a while with the idea of making a roguelike based on the new mexico state pen riot

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

Shaggar posted:

yeah. those are deprecated. time to move on to the future.

how do i make a facepalm as big as the universe

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
clang is better than java

clang owns

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol no

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

yaoi prophet posted:

yeah that's fair

doesn't change that being unable to get settings on any thread other than the main one is bullshit

Nah not really. Likely the settings file is loaded on the main thread. I'm also guessing the whole app is single threaded

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
keep the jvm, burn down the rest of the java language/platform/ecosystem

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Shaggar posted:

ugh. loving java. its too easy and it just works. i just added a lib via maven and implemented the IrcBot interface and now its up and running. god drat loving java. i want to have to fix bugs in the library and deal with os + runtime inconsistencies!!!

o youd like my tiny little bot program? great, here, install these 280mb of vms and libraries.

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

Lysidas posted:

clang is better than java

clang owns

i only ever use clang for template stuff because i hate it when my compilers play hard-to-get

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Lysidas posted:

can we get rid of the jvm too and get a different one that doesn't take forever to spin up

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Lysidas posted:

did you use a deprecated obsolete version of python? i've had problems in unicode when using ancient python

oh you!

same

Paracetamol Boy posted:

are you serious

he is beyond serious, he is shaggar. he is enterprise level serious.

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

tef posted:

he is beyond serious, he is shaggar. he is enterprise level serious.

he is the 1%

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

rotor posted:

can we get rid of the jvm too and get a different one that doesn't take forever to spin up

sure i guess

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Lysidas posted:

Sorry but maven owns, good luck updating your dependencies in the poo poo that is the C ecosystem.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

tef posted:

oh you!

;-*

http://wiki.python.org/moin/Python2orPython3 posted:

But wouldn't I want to avoid 2.x? It's an old language with many mistakes, and it took a major version to get them out.

Yes.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

abraham linksys posted:

i wish i had the drive to just write code for no reason like some people

i have never met these people. some seem to do it for fun, to solve a problem, or to get cash.

the fun bit, well that turns out to require some intrinsic motivation, some ambition, and a bit of creativity.

quote:

i have to really want to make something, i guess.

here we can see you are lacking in the last two requirements. you're not going to find them from other people. you might find a problem to solve amongst theirs, but I can't say that works real well.

go read a book, go outside, go have fun. stop trying to make something fun and do something fun. who gives a poo poo if it is programming related.

quote:

maybe i should go back and try to make it with backbone or somethin

you're well on your way to craftmanship by repeating the same loving thing over and over.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Paracetamol Boy posted:

has anyone gotten 'fatal error: too many errors' from g++ or clang because i am not convinced this is normal

isnt that for "well the programmer probably got a } wrong and i'm interpreting a bunch of poo poo as being incomprehensible, just gonna give up here and have them fix what's been recorded so far"

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

tef posted:

go read a book, go outside, go have fun. stop trying to make something fun and do something fun. who gives a poo poo if it is programming related.

this

writing code for fun etc. is pretty much like actual writing. people ask, "how do i become a writer? how can i get motivated to write?" and the truth is that writers write because they are driven to. they write because they can't not write. time works the same way

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
write a thing that has two image panels and a text box

enter a complex function like e^z in the text box, draw something in the left panel, show your drawing transformed by that function in the right panel

i started one of these but never finished it

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

isnt that for "well the programmer probably got a } wrong and i'm interpreting a bunch of poo poo as being incomprehensible, just gonna give up here and have them fix what's been recorded so far"

well it's pretty shameful but i have had the same thing before and it always happens when i am templating parts of a large project and i break my traits classes. the error reduction rate per compile isn't so big for me to suspect that but actually that is a good idea i should probably check

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

o youd like my tiny little bot program? great, here, install these 280mb of vms and libraries.

its not 1950 anymore. disk is cheap (not that the jre is actually even that big). its way better than trying to make do with lightweight tinfoil and clothes pins (aka terrible-p-language-distro-of-the-month)

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

vapid cutlery posted:

Nah not really. Likely the settings file is loaded on the main thread. I'm also guessing the whole app is single threaded

so expose a blocking call that uses inter-thread communication between whatever thread calls it and the main thread, something like

code:
def get_setting(key):
  queue = Queue.Queue()    
  sublime.set_timeout(lambda: queue.put(sublime.get_setting(key)), 0)
  return queue.get()

Opinion Haver fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 19, 2012

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Dr. Honked posted:

this

writing code for fun etc. is pretty much like actual writing. people ask, "how do i become a writer? how can i get motivated to write?" and the truth is that writers write because they are driven to. they write because they can't not write. time works the same way

thirded

you can't just say "welp i'm gonna be the guy. how do i be the guy, guys?" that's not how motivation+discipline works

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

people have made good suggestions to you in this very thread but without fail you have ignored them and come back whining. i'm calling you a loving idiot not because you lack skills or ideas (both of which i am guilty of too!!) but because you're the most stubborn person i've come across in yospos and you refuse to learn. believe it or not i'm actually trying to help you even if i call you names. i'm legit mad irl that you keep doing this to yourself and you need to either stop it or get out. note that this is one of the longest and most time consuming posts i have made

okay so back to your q

abraham linksys posted:

maybe i should go back and try to make it with backbone or somethin
no. see my point about you reinventing hello world in yet another flavour of the month web framework, like you always loving do

Milkie Galore posted:

you seem to be forever writing hello world 10 different ways or in 10 different languages. do something that actually challenges you and you might not feel so miserable about your achievements.

abraham linksys posted:

[...] i haven't coded anything in like a month and don't have any original ideas so i might as well try a new language or something
NO

look its not just me saying this:

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

mr. volcano: how about instead of focusing on something as fleeting as language du jour, you actually learn something rewarding like the fundamentals of computing?

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah anal volcano you have a laundry list of joke toy languages there, i recommend getting solid in at least one IT pillar language so that you can use that as justification to get a job in which you can leverage all your joke toy languages on side projects etc etc

tef posted:

you're well on your way to craftmanship by repeating the same loving thing over and over.
remember that jonny has been in the same boat as you but he didnt gently caress up

abraham linksys posted:

i need to learn how to program good
then you need to stop doing things that you can already do. it will not improve your ability to program well. you are wasting time and effort and you will be no better off and will inevitably come back here complaining

ok heres another idea you had

abraham linksys posted:

my friend's family is opening a hookah bar soon, im hoping to convince them to let me make their website
don't do this. you can already do lovely little websites. this one wont be any different. youre wasting your energy.

similarly,

abraham linksys posted:

man i need to be coding something because if i dont code things i will never learn to code things better
this is somewhere between "wrong" and "only half the story". coding 24/7 will not make you code better because you are not challenging yourself.

ok summary so far:
- do not learn any more loving javascript web frameworks
- do not rewrite anything you have made already
- do not beg people to let you do lovely work you can already do

ok so what should you do then???

abraham linksys posted:

i know rotor said i should "learn basic theory" and the other recommendation is "learn a c# or java" but i only learn by doing and i need to do something :ohdear:
yes it can seem a bit like a catch 22 if you dont like reading theory! if you dont know anything about cs, you dont know any of the neat things that can be done, and they dont spring to mind when youre busy doing something else + make you think "i wonder if i could use that to do X". the more theory you know, the more neat things youll spot that you can explore.

abraham linksys posted:

thinking about coding something in Go
im reluctant to recommend go because nobody really uses it. however it does have a pretty cool concurrency paradigm if learning about concurrent programming sounds fun. personally id leave it till later. however

tef posted:

write a boids style flocking simulator, using one goroutine per boid :3:
this sounds kinda fun!

what are some interesting things you've been thinking about recently? e.g. i like to listen to dj mixes and i think it's cool how tracks can be blended together. i wondered about how you might measure the melodic similarity/"distance" between two tracks using a vector space model like in computational linguistics. i've spent a few hours on and off exploring this idea and none of it required me to code anything!! it was cool. maybe ill code something up one day

what kind of things are you interested in? maybe i can recommend some high-level areas of cs you could read about to spark your imagination.

you shouldnt be choosing projects based on your current skills. "what can i do with node.js" isnt going to get you anywhere. find things that interest you in other domains and use your arsenal of computing knowledge to approach them. the chances are that someone's done something similar already which you can read about or play with!

Rufus Ping fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 19, 2012

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i love u milkie galore

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i think it's actually rufo :ssh:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
wow, ok, this makes the whole breakup speech w/ rufo much easier

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
make a genome read simulator/assembler

make a random string of 1000 A, C, G, T characters, pick 200 random locations in the first 950 characters of that string, and grab the next 50 characters from each of those locations

now put those 50-base pieces together into the original sequence

figure out a way to measure how close your solution is to the original sequence

now make a new sequence that's 400 random nucleotides, 100 random nucleotides, the same 100 nucleotides that you just used, repeated and then 400 random bases

now read this into pieces and assemble them again and see how much worse you did

there's a lot of CS theory involved in this problem and the various ways to approach it. everyone should experience the sinking feeling of "i don't know enough theory to solve this problem effectively" at least once; makes you appreciate material that you might not otherwise find interesting

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

Lysidas posted:

make a genome read simulator/assembler

make a random string of 1000 A, C, G, T characters, pick 200 random locations in the first 950 characters of that string, and grab the next 50 characters from each of those locations

now put those 50-base pieces together into the original sequence

figure out a way to measure how close your solution is to the original sequence

now make a new sequence that's 400 random nucleotides, 100 random nucleotides, the same 100 nucleotides that you just used, repeated and then 400 random bases

now read this into pieces and assemble them again and see how much worse you did

there's a lot of CS theory involved in this problem and the various ways to approach it. everyone should experience the sinking feeling of "i don't know enough theory to solve this problem effectively" at least once; makes you appreciate material that you might not otherwise find interesting

oh wow this is p. cool

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

:golfclap:

when i said motivation + discipline, what i mean is

1. motivation is transient, but if it's never there maybe you're in the wrong field. i just went through six months of basically zero motivation but i recognized it as a temporary thing so i didn't quit to become a truck driver. but if you're a newbie and can't "get motivated" to "get started" on "writing some code" even though you "want to be a coder" then maybe try something else?
2. discipline is what really matters. intelligence and raw ability is fixed, discipline is what carries you through life. i am not a very disciplined person but every year i get better at this.

sounds like you (abraham linksys) are more lacking in the discipline side of things so maybe you should just listen to some of the good advice being doled your way, quick arsing around, and just write some code. or, if you can't do that, shut up and find something new to do.

also not everybody is super passionate about software development so don't compare yourself to $FAMOUS_DEVELOPER, just try to grow as a developer on your own, against your own standards :shobon:

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

rotor posted:

if you cant get excited about an irc/im bot then idk what to tell you

i made a listbot that keeps lists for me. when im at the grocery store and i wonder what we need at home i just ask listbot and he tells me.

For personal reasons, I do not browse the web from my computer. (I also have no net connection much of the time.) To look at page I send mail to a daemon which runs wget and mails the page back to me. It is very efficient use of my time, but it is slow in real time.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

good post, too bad he's going to ignore it and make his dad's cousin's souvlaki stand's website with the power of the buttholr.js framework

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
bioinfomratics is p cool, and don't worry about programming ability

half the people in the field can't program for poo poo and produce horrible code that just barely works

(i'm in that half)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
failing to change yourself, feeling lovely about it, and seeking reassurance from peers that you're doing nothing wrong is WAY easier than actually changing