Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

I'm not sure how you misconstrued a post that boiled down to "America is extremely flawed even centuries after becoming a democracy, why do Americans keep expecting other democracies to succeed where we still fail, and in their infancy" as pro-American imperialism, but I'm sorry that you came to that incorrect conclusion.

e: I'm also not sure whether you are insinuating that there are no oppressive or regressive regimes in West Asia, but that appears to be the case.

It is not the case, to think so would mean you are the product of a failed education system.

You are also being pitifully blinded to what I Assn saying. Its not so much that you're pro-US, more that you are looking down on Arabs, and your best intentions don't make up for you're incidental racism in doing so, just a the best intentions of those who committed the crime of the stolen generation don't make up for the horror of their words and actions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Pointing out very obvious flaws in the societies and governments of Arab nations is not the same as "looking down on Arabs", any more than pointing out flaws in the USA and Western Europe is "looking down on Europeans." It's just a factual observation and very much in accordance with actual Leftist ideas of universalism. And any real leftist talking about bigotry, corruption and so on in Arab countries is not blaming the ordinary people for the state of affairs, but centuries of colonialism, oppression and foreign-backed dictatorship and current historical and material conditions, and it's done out of a sincere desire to see genuine emancipation (in all its forms) for the oppressed and marginalized everywhere in the world. And none of the people here criticizing the status quo in one Arab country or the other is excusing America for its own crimes. I guess some wishy-washy post-modern Liberals can take exception to all of this, if they really want to.

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 26, 2013

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Brown Blitzkrieg posted:

It is not the case, to think so would mean you are the product of a failed education system.

You are also being pitifully blinded to what I Assn saying. Its not so much that you're pro-US, more that you are looking down on Arabs, and your best intentions don't make up for you're incidental racism in doing so, just a the best intentions of those who committed the crime of the stolen generation don't make up for the horror of their words and actions

What is not the case? "It" is not very specific, as I cover two separate topics in the post.

Are you again stating that there are no oppressive or regressive regimes in West Asia? I can think of at least one that has been getting an exceptional amount of coverage in this thread.

I'm also not sure where you see racism in my posts, as I haven't actually mentioned race in any of them.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Brownie? Why are you bringing up the stolen generation as a metaphor for... I'm not sure what, exactly? It's a very horrible thing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Generations
but not on topic at all.

Look, you keep doing a heckuva job, and we'll keep talking about the things in this thread.
So, as I was saying, given the money to the Jihadists are coming from, largely, private sources, is it likely that it'll be backtracked?
Probably won't mean anything if it is, though, because those people giving arms are rich enough to avoid justice of any kind.

As far as the CIA goes, anything at this level would involve direct Obama approval. Obama, I think, would be very careful about things likely to result in backbiting 20 years from now. Can we draw any conclusions from that?

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Warcabbit posted:

As far as the CIA goes, anything at this level would involve direct Obama approval. Obama, I think, would be very careful about things likely to result in backbiting 20 years from now. Can we draw any conclusions from that?

Isn't the whole "we want to minimize the impact of these weapons after al-Assad falls" thing the main reason why they brought weapons out of Croatia, where it'd be Yugoslavian weapons not quite compatible with the Soviet and US stuff floating around everywhere else?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

point of return posted:

Isn't the whole "we want to minimize the impact of these weapons after al-Assad falls" thing the main reason why they brought weapons out of Croatia, where it'd be Yugoslavian weapons not quite compatible with the Soviet and US stuff floating around everywhere else?

I'm not sure, but the CIA is fond of weapons that have shelf-lives measured in a decade or less, and it wouldn't be hard to convince Saudi Arabia and the other big money men that it's in their best interest to not have a bunch of military weapons bumping around the neighborhood. Anything that's more long-lasting is probably too big to pick up and put in a backpack.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Good debunking, but I feel it's necessary to point out that nobody in the US takes Frontpage seriously as anything other than a crazy rightwing magazine.

http://brown-moses.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-great-example-of-how-not-to-write.html

edit: the second google result for one of the authors is an article entitled 'In Defense of Christian Supremacy'

Xandu fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 27, 2013

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

My post has also been published on the CBRNe World website, although the page is broken at the moment. The Front Page Magazine piece was so dreadful in everyway I felt compelled to post, it was sub-Prison Planet journalism, and exactly the sort of badly written poo poo on arms that really gets on my tits.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009
This interesting document has surfaced on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/Syria_Horra/status/316921331998400513/photo/1
It is supposedly a request from the Unified Judicial Council in Aleppo, asking all the rebel battalions in Aleppo to arrest and hand over anybody launching rockets or mortars from residential areas to the council. Interesting to see how everybody responds to the request.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

That's very interesting if it's real, I might make some queries with people who could confirm it's accurate.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Xandu posted:

Good debunking, but I feel it's necessary to point out that nobody in the US takes Frontpage seriously as anything other than a crazy rightwing magazine.

http://brown-moses.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-great-example-of-how-not-to-write.html

Termite based bomblets ? Sounds like a bioweapon right there !

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The worst part is I proof read it 3 times for poo poo like that, now the world will think Assad is spraying Syria with flaming insects.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Brown Moses posted:

The worst part is I proof read it 3 times for poo poo like that, now the world will think Assad is spraying Syria with flaming insects.

Discounting the horror that would be involved, that would be pretty awesome.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Probably not unlikely that they'd believe so anyway even if it was spelled correctly. I know I did in my youth (though I'll lay some blame on Donald Duck comics introducing them as the weapon of choice against ancient wooden ships and then not bothering to show them in action)

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Brown Blitzkrieg posted:

As a person with ancestry from the region, I find the term Middle East highly offensive. Middle in relation to what? East in relation to what? Europe, you loving Eurocentrist. I'd prefer to be defined by geographical relation to Asia, not a rotting, open wound like Europe. This is why the United Nations and slightly progressive places like Canada use the term Western Asia instead of "Middle East".

I prefer "Western Asia" but people generally won't know what you're talking about (which is the point of using words). Even "Western Asia" could be construed as offensive if you wanted to since the whole division of Eurasia is arbitrary as well. In either case, saying "Middle East" doesn't even rise to the level of saying "Burma" or whatever, it's really just an arbitrary designation. There are much more legitimate things to worry about, such as people conflating West Asia and Islam, or how people include North Africa for the "Middle East" and implicitly minimize the relevance of non-Arabs in North Africa.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
You know, Asia's a rotting, open wound, too. In fact, there's only a few places that aren't rotting, open wounds.
They're very cold.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

eSports Chaebol posted:

In either case, saying "Middle East" doesn't even rise to the level of saying "Burma" or whatever,

You most likely know it as Myanmar, but it will always be Burma to me.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
While flaming الشرق الأوسط for being Eurocentric, why not flame المغرب and اليمن for being Arabiacentric? I can understand the argument, but the indignant outrage sounds so constructed and fake, especially when combined with some reference to one's ancestry when there clearly are West Asians capable of speaking for themselves.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Svartvit posted:

While flaming الشرق الأوسط for being Eurocentric, why not flame المغرب and اليمن for being Arabiacentric? I can understand the argument, but the indignant outrage sounds so constructed and fake, especially when combined with some reference to one's ancestry when there clearly are West Asians capable of speaking for themselves.

Morocco even has the same problem as the U.S. stealing "America" for itself!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

And onto something that isn't dogged by semantics and actually matters- Moaz al-Khatib's speech at the Arab League yesterday is something else. Probably one of the most inspired speeches I've seen out of an Arab political leader:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnNLK82neGo

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

edit Oops old article

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

There's some claims on twitter/facebook that the FSA shot an Iranian cargo plane carrying weapons as it was landing in Damascus.

https://twitter.com/AliNahar/status/317065895996432385

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Xandu posted:

There's some claims on twitter/facebook that the FSA shot an Iranian cargo plane carrying weapons as it was landing in Damascus.

https://twitter.com/AliNahar/status/317065895996432385

Did they just shoot it or did they shoot it down?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I'm not sure if shot it down is accurate (I think it like just landed), but it did blow up.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Xandu posted:

I'm not sure if shot it down is accurate (I think it like just landed), but it did blow up.

Wow. Assad is gonna be pissed when he checks his tracking number.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Brown Blitzkrieg posted:

As a person with ancestry from the region, I find the term Middle East highly offensive. Middle in relation to what? East in relation to what? Europe, you loving Eurocentrist. I'd prefer to be defined by geographical relation to Asia, not a rotting, open wound like Europe. This is why the United Nations and slightly progressive places like Canada use the term Western Asia instead of "Middle East".

In reference to Jerusalem.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

computer parts posted:

In reference to Jerusalem.

Just to clarify some points on this, West Asia is a widespread designation used in diplomatic circles. It's been used for 60-70 years now, and is used by pretty much all states when setting up diplomatic 'zones' for their foreign services. I still have no idea why people would be offended by terms like 'middle east'. Even the Syrians, who refuse to use it in any capacity do so because they see the terminology as an attempt at 'dividing the Arab world', but not something derogatory in and as of itself.

The speech Moaz Alkhatib, as I previously said was amazing. Shame it hasn't been translated into English yet. His background as an imam has probably helped him out, and he seems to have a knack for conflict resolution. When you're trying to manage a group of people with egos the size of planets that is a very important skill to have.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Xandu posted:

This claims to be it exploding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-ZbdlrzmSA

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

That's definitely some kind of ammo dump going up. Hopefully better pictures of what went down will show up before too much longer.

If it is a cargo plane full of ammunition and bombs that went off at Damascus Airport, then some parts of that airport are going to be out of business for a while.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's a 20 minute interview of me from when NOS TV came to visit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC-pEBV9rus

If you speak Dutch there's a 4 minute radio interview with them too. I'll also be on the main NOS TV news bulletin tonight too, plus there was a write up in one of the Dutch papers too.

I should also be on CNN today as well.

Pieter Pan
May 16, 2004
Bad faith argument here:
-------------------------------->
That's nice, NOS news is the nr. 1 news channel here. I'll link tonight's news item when it's out.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Muffiner posted:

The speech Moaz Alkhatib, as I previously said was amazing. Shame it hasn't been translated into English yet. His background as an imam has probably helped him out, and he seems to have a knack for conflict resolution. When you're trying to manage a group of people with egos the size of planets that is a very important skill to have.

Dunno if you saw it, but I posted an English translation of his speech on this page.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

suboptimal posted:

Dunno if you saw it, but I posted an English translation of his speech on this page.

Ah yes, I saw it. I saw the Alarabiya logo and automatically assumed it was the original video, sans translation.

Reports are coming out that the departures and arrivals lounges have burnt up. I'd discount fuel explosions due to the fact that the plane was hit at the end of its trip and on a descent. That thing was carrying explosives, unless it hit an ammo or fuel deposit when it crashed.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Honestly wasn't expecting this

quote:

A U.S. Army veteran is charged with conspiring with an Al-Qaida group to wage war against the Syrian regime.

Eric Harroun of Phoenix was charged Thursday in federal court in northern Virginia with conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction outside the U.S. An affidavit states Harroun has been engaged in military action in Syria, siding with rebel forces against the Syrian government. It says he used rocket-propelled grenades in the fighting earlier this year.

On his Facebook page, he claimed credit for downing a Syrian helicopter.

Prosecutors say one of the groups with which Harroun served is the al-Nusrah Front, which is commonly known as al-Qaida in Iraq.

Harroun has made an initial court appearance. A public defender was appointed to represent him in a detention hearing scheduled for Tuesday.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...99de_story.html

I assume it's to deter other Americans from going to Syria.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Xandu posted:

That's pretty hilarious, could have been Caro. I wonder what the WMD charge relates to?

Also, here I am on Dutch NOS TVs top news show. That 2 minute piece took 2 hours to film.

[edit] Ah, apparently WMDs are a bit different in US law in this instance.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 28, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

On the plus side, having "Used a WMD" and "Shot down an Army Helicopter" on your rap sheet gotta be worth something inside an american prison, right? :v:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pimpmust posted:

On the plus side, having "Used a WMD" and "Shot down an Army Helicopter" on your rap sheet gotta be worth something inside an american prison, right? :v:

"What you in for?"

"Shot a guy during a robbery, you?"

"Joined a Jihadist group and waged war on the Syrian government. I was filmed shooting down a helicopter."

:stare: "So, you want the top bunk?"

"Please."

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Xandu posted:

quote:

Harroun is not charged with providing material support to a terrorist group, but instead conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction outside the U.S., a law that applies to U.S. nationals operating anywhere in the world. The statute makes no distinction or exception for an individual who may be fighting a hostile regime.

That sounds pretty flimsy. I wonder how locking him up for intervening is going to look if the U.S. intervenes in some way later. It's also curious that this is the first I've seen of someone being charged in a situation like this. There's plenty of evidence to prove that Caro, Matthew Van Dyke, and I'm sure a few others have done the same thing. Maybe it's just a necessary backlash against the "American works with Al-Qaeda in Syria!" headlines.

And why the hell did he come back? He can't have known they were going to arrest him.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 28, 2013

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Volkerball posted:

That sounds pretty flimsy. I wonder how locking him up for intervening is going to look if the U.S. intervenes in some way later.

I think if the US intervenes later it won't mean poo poo for his trial, the same way being charged for going vigilante on a group of drug dealers is still a crime even though police go after drug dealers all the time.

As to WMD charge all I can figure is that got some kind of evidence, probably flimsy, that either he or the group he was with was interested in getting their hands on parts of Assads chemical stockpile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

cafel posted:

I think if the US intervenes later it won't mean poo poo for his trial, the same way being charged for going vigilante on a group of drug dealers is still a crime even though police go after drug dealers all the time.

As to WMD charge all I can figure is that got some kind of evidence, probably flimsy, that either he or the group he was with was interested in getting their hands on parts of Assads chemical stockpile.

18 USC § 2332a - Use of weapons of mass destruction posted:

(c) Definitions.— For purposes of this section—

(2) the term “weapon of mass destruction” means—
(A) any destructive device as defined in section 921 of this title;
(B) any weapon that is designed or intended to cause death or serious bodily injury through the release, dissemination, or impact of toxic or poisonous chemicals, or their precursors;
(C) any weapon involving a biological agent, toxin, or vector (as those terms are defined in section 178 of this title); or
(D) any weapon that is designed to release radiation or radioactivity at a level dangerous to human life;
(4) The term “destructive device” means—
(A) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas—
(i) bomb,
(ii) grenade,
(iii) rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces,
(iv) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce,

(v) mine, or
(vi) device similar to any of the devices described in the preceding clauses;
(B) any type of weapon (other than a shotgun or a shotgun shell which the Attorney General finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes) by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, and which has any barrel with a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter; and
(C) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into any destructive device described in subparagraph (A) or (B) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled.

By US Law an RPG or MANPAD counts as a WMD. It's just that civil law and modern warfare have extremely different views on the 'mass destruction' bit.

• Locked thread