Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
For those wanting more block types to build with, I'd like to re-plug my Homesick mod:
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/homesick-over-80-diverse-building-blocks-now-craftable-from-the-start.44722/

Makes over 80 existing block types craftable from the start, including some stuff you can't get anywhere right now, like the Hylotl decorative bricks. Just adds recipes, so you don't have to worry about multiplayer incompatibility.

AndroidHub posted:

the portable scanner block types are nice, but waaay too expensive to really be useful at all, 50px for one brick is a lot
I was really hoping this would be a step towards my Homesick method of just making all blocks craftable, albeit spread out over time, but 50 pixels for one metallic brick you can just gather from an apex dungeon en masse.
Now that we're going to have permanent homeworlds we can warp to at any time for free, it seems like building a cool base is more important than ever. And while it's nice that they're starting to give us some more block types to play with, 50 for a single block is ridiculous. Consider how many it takes to tile even a small room's background.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
With each passing day without a wipe I get tempted to play again, but I just know as soon as I finish the annoyingly long process of deconstructing all the NPC structures I'd need to even begin my planned project, they'll announce my wipe because life is like that.

^^^ E: And as I post this, this mod pops up. Hmmm.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What IS the best method to rake in the pixels? Refining high-level ores I guess?

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

-Zydeco- posted:

Gamma -61445689, -36612524 Zeta Per I b - walk right

Beta -16014665, -12671481 Pond Majoris I A - walk left

Zeta Per or Zeta Phe? Cause I see Zeta Phe at those coordinates. Ah well, I'm gonna visit anyway and see what I find.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mzbundifund posted:

What IS the best method to rake in the pixels? Refining high-level ores I guess?

I'm not sure what your standard for "high level" is but gold seems to be the local max given the rarity of platinum and diamond, and the fact that plat and diamond are largely in hard layers and gently caress that. Really probably the way you get all mineral wealth: go to a desert planet and dig in giant sandpits as often as possible, then look at the new edges to see if anything great pops up.

I think things like Aegisalt are all unrefinable.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

Diamond is worth 100 per ore, and is extremely abundant on higher level planets.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Ok. Sand mining is pretty funny but it's not really exciting, and a pretty dull way to make bucks. I kind of wish the enemy spawn rate was higher, or at least varied by planet.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

After much suicide-inducing finding out that the inbuilt mod drop-in folder doesn't actually work, here's the Starbound Mod Manager-compliant version of my tweak mods.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/witless-tweak-qol-modpack.277/

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I just summoned the bone dragon and I can't even take it down one notch in health. The only projectile weapon I have is my steel bow, which does absolutely nothing, and his fire basically one shot me. Am I supposed to have a gun? If I leave to find a gun and come back will he still be there, or do I have to craft another decoy princess?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

After much suicide-inducing finding out that the inbuilt mod drop-in folder doesn't actually work, here's the Starbound Mod Manager-compliant version of my tweak mods.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/witless-tweak-qol-modpack.277/
Just wanted to say your mods are really neat and while I haven't tried them all yet, the amount of work you've put into them and the speed you've picked up going from basic charcoal/fuel values to whole weapon rebalances is pretty crazy.
Also you've taken on guns exactly as I would have wanted and it's nice to see them being made into drops as early as T1, rather than just "whenever you finally find an Avian airship". Keep up the good work.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Took a peek in the "races" section of the mod forums and there's already like 3 homestuck mods

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Tulip posted:

Is Shukaro still maintaining this? We have the lovely second post reserved for content, and putting in a basic guide to mods would be lovely, or at least links to.

More specific question: when you install mods, can you install them to be server-wide (like, say, drop rate modification) and would this be different from regular mod installation (and how so)?

Go to a threat 1 planet and just murder everything.

Yeah now that things have largely settled I'll be adding more stuff to the OP especially wrt mods tomorrow.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

/\/\/\/\ Rad!

Mzbundifund posted:

Ok. Sand mining is pretty funny but it's not really exciting, and a pretty dull way to make bucks. I kind of wish the enemy spawn rate was higher, or at least varied by planet.

Honestly after i started compressing pixels with some regularity, pixels just became a problem of the past. This is largely i think due to the fact that high level crafting seems to use only bars and i think guns are for chumps. The Diamond Drill was the only time money was close to a problem, and i found that clearing a catacombs or two made up most of that money.

2 Track EP
May 29, 2009
I think defending victims of child rape is tumblr SJW PC extremism. Kids lie about being raped all the time, I know because I work with them.

Babe Magnet posted:

Took a peek in the "races" section of the mod forums and there's already like 3 homestuck mods

Don't forget the fact that two of the top-rated races are Catgirls and My Little Ponies :suicide:

If someone has a custom race in multiplayer, how are they displayed to other players? Preferably they would just be invisible but please tell me it at least gives them a dumb default naked human graphic or something instead of streaming me the files and making me look at their stupid poo poo.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Babe Magnet posted:

Sounds like a section to avoid, then.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

There's a bug race in there that's pretty neat, but it's much like basically every other race mod where there's not a lot to it outside of a few weird hairs and a ship. A lot of these mods break the game's aesthetic pretty hard. Either (comparatively) strange proportions or excessive detail.

Verranicus posted:

Sounds like a section to avoid, then.

You're not missing much, and I don't mean that in a "these mods are terrible" sense. It's all just "human tech and culture but with Kangaroo People" at the moment. Give it a while for people to flesh items and poo poo out.

2 Track EP posted:

Don't forget the fact that two of the top-rated races are Catgirls and My Little Ponies :suicide:

Just now I spotted two "elf" mods, two pony mods, a rat-people, a bug-people, a kangaroo-people, a wolf-people, a cat-people, a bear-people and this:

E: Not hating on Greys, by the way. Greys own.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Now that we're going to have permanent homeworlds we can warp to at any time for free, it seems like building a cool base is more important than ever. And while it's nice that they're starting to give us some more block types to play with, 50 for a single block is ridiculous. Consider how many it takes to tile even a small room's background.

This is something that also bothers me about the 3D printer: I'm paying shitloads of pixels for purely cosmetic items. Even the idea that scanning items both destroys the item and costs pixels is crazy. A 2000px item ends up costing 4500px after all is said and done.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Huh? They work fine for me. You made a .modinfo file, right? All it needs is a name value and a path of ".", I believe.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The most important mod we could get is one that lets more than 1 tech be used together at the same time.

Or is the current limit something Chucklefish intends to remove at some point? Given that they all use energy it's not like dash and double jump being usable together is going to break the game. Mechs will still be garbage with their energy drain and wimpy guns.

Rails SDMM
Jan 15, 2008
So a couple of days ago I posted about the Dungeon Editor I was making. I got a lot of feedback, and people really wanted the ability to edit ships too - so I made that happen.

(behold my amazing ship editing skills.)

I'll be releasing the next version with ship-and-dungeon editing capabilities in a couple of hours on the Starbound mod repo.

EDIT: released!

Rails SDMM fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 16, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

JerikTelorian posted:

This is something that also bothers me about the 3D printer: I'm paying shitloads of pixels for purely cosmetic items. Even the idea that scanning items both destroys the item and costs pixels is crazy. A 2000px item ends up costing 4500px after all is said and done.
Yeah, the prices are ridiculous when you consider they compete for pixel use with actual functional items, weapons, armor, engine upgrades, etc. If they're going to be sucking up valuable cash why the hell do they cost so much? They don't help your game at all. The prohibitive cost is probably why so many people are just ripping up entire dungeons and towns and just hoarding the decorations.

If it's not on the dev's to-do list down the line I might just make a mod that does the same thing for furniture that Homesick does for blocks. I bet more people would want to decorate with those banners if you could make them from fabric, and if other styles of furniture could be made from simple wood/stone/hay/whatever. (Unless of course another mod comes along for this first).

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

XboxPants posted:

Huh? They work fine for me. You made a .modinfo file, right? All it needs is a name value and a path of ".", I believe.
I'm pretty glad there's no documentation that you have to do that.

Regardless, I'm going to wait until the feature is actually more robust and handles things that modify large amounts of /assets/ files without making GBS threads itself.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Still pretty new with mods, but what sort of mods are good in MP without the host having to gently caress around with his stuff?

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Discovered a cool planet in Alpha Sector at 59877410, 70624402. Alpha Umbraxion 1207 III d.

If you head to the left there's a massive Avian temple. Fantastic for getting gold ore, pixels, and avian decorations. Underneath the temple there's one of those creepy villages of micro-houses. One of the other planets in the solar system has an Avian airship (they sell guns) on it as well.

Purple Prince fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 16, 2013

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Evil Fluffy posted:

The most important mod we could get is one that lets more than 1 tech be used together at the same time.

Or is the current limit something Chucklefish intends to remove at some point? Given that they all use energy it's not like dash and double jump being usable together is going to break the game. Mechs will still be garbage with their energy drain and wimpy guns.

AFAIK the limitation on techs is because "all techs" key through F. Except that dash, pulse, and rocket all don't. And even if they want it to be that way, it should still be possible to switch techs without mouseclicks. I mean hell i rarely use more than 2 weapons in a tier and switch between them with x, so it's not like i lack keyboard space i'd gladly have 1-4 be tech switch.

The whole interface for techs is massively awful.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

JerikTelorian posted:

3d printer is garbage. It doesnt replicate anything useful like resources, YOu need to already have the thing you want to make just to scan it, and very rarely will you find youself needing mulitple of a single decouration that you didnt already steal several copies of.

Honestly it should be combined with the refinery in that anything you scan gives you pixels, and can scan anything. Actually thinking about it i could mod this if someone hasn't already.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'm pretty glad there's no documentation that you have to do that.
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/making-mod-installation-easier.52349/

I don't know why this was linked in some places but not others, or why they still haven't put the patch notes on the main site, but here it is. It's real simple stuff and you can drop a few fields like dependencies, all it really is is just something for the game to auto-recognize "there's a mod here".

2 Track EP
May 29, 2009
I think defending victims of child rape is tumblr SJW PC extremism. Kids lie about being raped all the time, I know because I work with them.
I would be fine with the printer if there was an item I could carry to scan items for free instead of hauling them back to my ship. Scanning one of each decorative item as I ran through a planet would be just fine and I wouldn't mind paying a pixel cost to build them afterwards, and I hate how probably 80% of all of my total storage is filled with decorative items that I only picked up so I could have them on hand if I ever need them.

e: Honestly though on this note your inventory should just be infinite and it should be a list of everything you have and how much of it you have. I don't think there's any need for inventory management in a game like this. Having to constantly destroy stacks of materials as you dig is as annoying in this game as it was in Terraria and Minecraft.

2 Track EP fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 16, 2013

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Tengames posted:

3d printer is garbage. It doesnt replicate anything useful like resources, YOu need to already have the thing you want to make just to scan it, and very rarely will you find youself needing mulitple of a single decouration that you didnt already steal several copies of.

Honestly it should be combined with the refinery in that anything you scan gives you pixels, and can scan anything. Actually thinking about it i could mod this if someone hasn't already.

I like this idea. Make the 3D printer a six-slot refinery with each slot working independently, which (a) makes refining much faster and (b) lets you scan/refine multiple things at once.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, uh, I take it that even in this very rough form this is a good game? This thread seems to have exploded.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Speedball posted:

So, uh, I take it that even in this very rough form this is a good game? This thread seems to have exploded.

Honestly, I'd hold off on it still. It's making great strides, but not there yet. Personally, I rated it D- to start, but the patches (that came right away!) bumped it up to B- really fast. I'm excited for the development, but unless you really can't wait I'd recommend holding off a bit still.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Evilreaver posted:

Honestly, I'd hold off on it still. It's making great strides, but not there yet. Personally, I rated it D- to start, but the patches (that came right away!) bumped it up to B- really fast. I'm excited for the development, but unless you really can't wait I'd recommend holding off a bit still.

Good advice. Thanks.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Speedball posted:

Yeah. Honestly the early parts of the game could be released as they are and it would be a pretty decent experience. Once everything is polished and tidied and altered for release this could be the best Minecraft-like yet (including Minecraft).

edit: Although I feel like they could do more to promote exploration over grinding for ore. Still less mining than Minecraft or Terraria though, and what you do have to do is a lot more fun because the ore is pretty plentiful. The exploration will come as they add content I guess.

Purple Prince fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 16, 2013

2 Track EP
May 29, 2009
I feel like there's already more to this game than to Terraria after nearly three years of post-release development. If you want to play a game like this you're better off playing this than a similar game at the moment but if you're not dying to play it, waiting until full release would make your initial impression that much better.

e: vv beam to your ship and beam back. Note: NPCs you spawn can be killed by you and they will not respawn - not a big deal for the guards but if you find any rare NPC spawners for merchants or anything similar, be careful! I've managed to accidentally kill every merchant I've ever spawned on my ship.

2 Track EP fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 16, 2013

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
Quick question, I finally got far enough in to make villagers and guards, I crafted them at the table and went to a planet and placed them and its just a large machine, am I doing something wrong, how do I activate my new friends?!

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I found a cool console that disappears and reappears when you activate it with 'e'.

I wonder if this is planned to have some kind of interface in the future.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 16, 2013

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I've been too busy shoveling show that turned to slush that turned to ice last night and today to do or read up on anything starbound related (except this thread). Is there any word on if this patch suggested character wipe has any actual mechanics changes that only kick in on a new character or not?

Last one, they spelled out things would not function correctly without a new character (Such as invulnerability inside your ship). This time around, no such details in the patch notes.

Rocketlex posted:

EDIT: I was thinking a cool addition to the game would be more procedural creature traits. As it is we mostly just have "Aggressive" or "Passive," but there's a lot more you could have. Some examples I thought of were...

Night Stalker idea, we already get different wildlife entirely at night aside from birds so might not even know it's there... On the surface layer at least, doesn't quite seem to be the case once you dig deep enough.

gently caress poison blood and Vampiric in the current state of things, where enemies can deal so much damage per hit and love to be practically inside you, even when you reach the point of oneshotting them their body will be right in your face or partially through it most of the time.

As for the homeworld teleport button, I love it and I'm looking forward to it even if the only way to get it was to reinstall fresh.

EDIT: ^^^ Oh my god, you found the holodeck controls! :tinfoil:

Combat Shotgun
Apr 28, 2007

Forget the hip surgery, get some rope!

Archonex posted:

This makes me want to do a Warhammer 40K total conversion. Not that I have the time, but the idea of choosing to play as a Tyranid and dropping onto the planet surface (complete with a ton of guard NPC's customized into various forms) would be fun as hell. Or just leading a WAAAAAGH. Which wouldn't be that much different from playing a Florian, really.

Probably should wait until the game is more complete though. They talked about building up AI settlements and stuff. Might be more potential there once they release a version that has more interactivity on that front.

The more I'm working on this crap the more I'm thinking about something like this...however I don't have the time or patience for that. Adding other races would be awesome and something I might play with at some point, although I'm not sure what the support is for non-humanoid races.

It would be cool if they implemented a random-generated hiveworld type planet. Lots of dingy above and underground living areas, npcs and big spires and stuff.

I mean, looking at this image practically begs for it, but it would probably run like poo poo

edit: Thinking about this, a Necromunda mod would be more doable I think, with gangs in place of races.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

peepsalot posted:

I found a cool console that disappears and reappears when you activate it with 'e'.

I had this in my first ship, my friends joked it's the universe's worst cloaking device. It only cloaks itself.

OrangeSoda fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Are locations more or less 100% going to be there on another server or another person's game?

We're looking for a T10 Avian Pirate gun merchant. Any help would be appreciated.

• Locked thread