Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Jetsetlemming posted:

Finished the extra credit right as she announced pencils down
gently caress you chemistry, I WIN

high five. What was the story I told you guys that you laughed really hard about? I can't remember but I remember it was pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

:):hf::) I don't remember the story sorry

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Jetsetlemming posted:

:):hf::) I don't remember the story sorry

God drat I don't either and it happened in my presence! Fantastic, well it was pretty funny I remember that oh well.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

I didn't manage to convince anyone to tear my arteries out before the presentation
on the plus side, it was OK and I live to see another day :)
thanks for all your good wishes

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

vaguely posted:

I didn't manage to convince anyone to tear my arteries out before the presentation
on the plus side, it was OK and I live to see another day :)
thanks for all your good wishes

Congratulations :D

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Grats vaguely!

I don't know what I should do today.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I want to go back in time and save Gram Parsons from himself :smith:

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Jetsetlemming posted:

Finished the extra credit right as she announced pencils down
gently caress you chemistry, I WIN

YAY good luck on your other two tests!!! :h:

I'm so excited because after today we will actually get to talk in person and hang out and stuff! :)

Good luck / congrats to every one else today, vaguely, EXTREME INSERTION, and others!

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Al Borland posted:

Grats vaguely!

I don't know what I should do today.

Tell me if you want a sim.

Organize your house. Do your taxes. Do laundry. Or play the sims.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Biology practical in twenty minutes. Tired. Coffee and adrenaline wearing out

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
what do you call a small hairy gay man who is into water sports

a water bear

good afternoon

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Learning about how pee is made atm
It involves tubes
Kidneys have a "renal pelvis" which is not a pelvic bone, but instead a pocket for piss to first into before entering the ureter and going to the bladder
Idk why it's named that

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN
Apr 27, 2010

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Do ladies have to shave the insides of their noses?

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

no but we have to polish our mandibles daily

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

Yes.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

I missed out on even more bookchat. :(

First, I don't just collect books to show them off. I vastly prefer reading physical copies and ebooks are often more expensive, so I have a lot of used books. It's also nice to get books from the library, especially if you have a good one nearby. I do read ebooks but it isn't the same to me. A book offers an immersion because it has a certain heft and a particular texture that I only associate with reading. Looking at screens is so much a part of life now that it doesn't feel like an escape or a unique experience.

Oprah's book club is weird because it seemed like she picked a lot of books that would be guaranteed bestsellers and then padded the list with a bunch of well-known and well-regarded books (Anna Karenina, books by Franzen and McCarthy, etc). It used to annoy me that she was using the latter to "legitimize" her list or whatever but it doesn't bother me any more. A lot of people don't have the time to really research good books so if they get exposure and some of her readers decide they like One Hundred Years of Solitude, it's a net gain.

Fabulist posted:

Ugh someone bought me "A Million Tiny Pieces" or whatever it was called back when Oprah was pimping it. I was sober and trying to stay that way and I couldn't really get it across that reading about drug use made me want to use some drat drugs, and reading about someone being institutionalized was just depressing. Wasn't very interesting, either.

I think this is a good example of how a book's worth can really depend on the reader (although I think this is the memoir where he just made a bunch of poo poo up so it probably just sucks). Someone who is struggling to stay sober really doesn't need to read memoirs about addiction because, as a fan of memoirs about addiction, they all have a certain tendency to glorify the drugs they still long to use. They are awesome books to read if you are trying to understand someone else's addiction or if you are trying to stop yourself before you have a problem, but are not for people who have recently entered recovery. Similarly I wouldn't recommend a memoir about eating disorders to someone who is struggling to stop one because it's easy for something to accidentally slide into thinspiration.

Shannonmcn posted:

I'm assuming Oprah book club is the US equivalent of Richard and Judy book list which are always, without exception, terrible.

I guess people just love books about WWII orphans or kids being molested and overcoming it or someone's husband dying then they learn to love life again or like, young women finding themselves through travelling the world and loving foreign dudes. That covers all old people books except football manager or woman-who-had-cancer autobiographies.

You covered a lot of different topics, though? Like a large part of realistic fiction? Pretty much any of those topics could make for an interesting book, it's just that a lot of writing is very sappy and bad. Like I really like good books about people with various traumatic childhoods because I can relate to them. I'm sure a lot of the books you referenced are actually very bad but it seems weird to be opposed to reading about all of those topics.

Honestly a lot of the books you described are basically "escapism for middle aged women" - books about travelling the world and finding yourself or being able to unequivocally triumph over problems or just finding meaning in life. I am not a fan of something like Eat, Pray, Love but it's totally unsurprising that women in our culture are drawn to this type of fantasy novel. I'm not trying to call you out but I've noticed that books targeted toward women get a disproportionate amount of scorn and contempt, and it's something I've been guilty of and that I'm trying to think about differently.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

Jetsetlemming posted:

Kidneys have a "renal pelvis" which is not a pelvic bone, but instead a pocket for piss to first into before entering the ureter and going to the bladder

A pelvis is a hollow area. Like your pelvis, which among other things has a bunch of organs in/on it. Renal pelvis has pee in it.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Thora posted:

A pelvis is a hollow area. Like your pelvis, which among other things has a bunch of organs in/on it. Renal pelvis has pee in it.

tyvm :) Teachers tend to skimp on definitions and especially etymology, things I always strive to get, so this post is legit helpful for me to be able to recall this stuff :)

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

At the lab, about to start

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Avshalom posted:

animal rollcall: rhinos, leopard seals, dogges, meerkats, galapagos tortoises, treefrogs, red foxes, polecats, lions, lovebirds, poor ol' freckles and her husband, spotted hyaenas, ocelots, blackbucks, pigz, butterflies, red pandas, chameleons, tapirs, echidnas, ermines, pangolins, slow lorises, wombats, giant spiders (riding on the wombats because the wombats are accustomed to such things), polar bears, red squirrels, sugar gliders, capybaras, geese, hippos, sables, kiwis, yaks and wrens

to be included as soon as i find a suitable spot for them: lemmings, tanuki, clouded leopards, various bugges, sloths, cheetahs, tardigrades (somehow), thora's boo and a suitable partner

disqualified because i want to sell this picture and people will probably want to buy it for a child and they might be put off by giant flaccid penis molluscs flopping around everywhere, shame on you: geoducks

the paper is only about 1/3 full so i still have plenty of room!

I want this picture for srs

Also armadillo and penguin and snail and a mantis shrimp

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Enfys posted:

I want this picture for srs

Also armadillo and penguin and snail and a mantis shrimp

I also want this picture.

I have this image in my mind of the ark setting sail and in the foreground, a unicorn runs desperately, realizing he has missed the boat. His partner looks down at mournfully at her lost companion. :( so tragic.

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Avshalom posted:

animal rollcall: rhinos, leopard seals, dogges, meerkats, galapagos tortoises, treefrogs, red foxes, polecats, lions, lovebirds, poor ol' freckles and her husband, spotted hyaenas, ocelots, blackbucks, pigz, butterflies, red pandas, chameleons, tapirs, echidnas, ermines, pangolins, slow lorises, wombats, giant spiders (riding on the wombats because the wombats are accustomed to such things), polar bears, red squirrels, sugar gliders, capybaras, geese, hippos, sables, kiwis, yaks and wrens

to be included as soon as i find a suitable spot for them: lemmings, tanuki, clouded leopards, various bugges, sloths, cheetahs, tardigrades (somehow), thora's boo and a suitable partner

disqualified because i want to sell this picture and people will probably want to buy it for a child and they might be put off by giant flaccid penis molluscs flopping around everywhere, shame on you: geoducks

the paper is only about 1/3 full so i still have plenty of room!

AV I think you should really think about the implications of not having a pugge doge in there. You don't want that haunting you the rest of your life, do you?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Does this picture already include a toad? If not, it should, please. But it has to be a regular lumpy brown toad and not some crazy rainforest poison business.

Also an alpaca, please. A gray one would be nice.

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

I want to go back in time and save Gram Parsons Jeff Buckley from himself :smith:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

amarantinesky posted:

I also want this picture.

I have this image in my mind of the ark setting sail and in the foreground, a unicorn runs desperately, realizing he has missed the boat. His partner looks down at mournfully at her lost companion. :( so tragic.

Silly unicorns, having too much fun to take things like floods seriously

But I love Av's art and this ladythread ark is going to be amazing

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Thora posted:

They are Nodes of Ranvier, you plebe :rolleyes:

JK ILU make me some chicken panang?

One chicken panang "plebe style" coming up. You'll have to figure out what's special about it...

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Tempus Fugit posted:

One chicken panang "plebe style" coming up. You'll have to figure out what's special about it...

Could I have a not special one? Also will you cook for me forever because all the recipes you post are stupidly delicious?

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Tempus Fugit posted:

It's not actually chicken, it's the flesh of the poor?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
god dammit that fedex delivery person didn't leave the package AGAIN! I signed it saying you could you absolute stupid turd!!

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Tempus Fugit posted:

Aw man I forgot the cardinal rule: Never insult someone who can poke you with sharp things or handles your food.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

I probably got an A. Not as "gently caress yeah!" As chemistry but I'll take it. I had sternum and humerus on the tip of my tongue but couldn't get them out to name them wah. Now to cram for an hour before my calculus test

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Jetsetlemming posted:

I probably got an A. Not as "gently caress yeah!" As chemistry but I'll take it. I had sternum and humerus on the tip of my tongue but couldn't get them out to name them wah. Now to cram for an hour before my calculus test

yayyyy :) good luck with calculus I believe in you!

Pick posted:

god dammit that fedex delivery person didn't leave the package AGAIN! I signed it saying you could you absolute stupid turd!!

That sucks. :( I thought that fedex automatically leaves packages unless you live in a very high-crime area?

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

I will never ever ever forget "acetabulum" for that same reason :mad:

I am so impressed by people good at math. I never got past college algebra and that was a headache and a half.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Thora posted:

I will never ever ever forget "acetabulum" for that same reason :mad:

I am so impressed by people good at math. I never got past college algebra and that was a headache and a half.

I'm weirdly bad at naming things. Like I often forget the names of characters in even my favorite books and plays because...? I have no idea why. It made reading Anna Karenina loving hard though.

I've always liked math and was really good at it, if I were born a boy I bet my life would have gone really differently.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

amarantinesky posted:

That sucks. :( I thought that fedex automatically leaves packages unless you live in a very high-crime area?

they could have mixed something up and think it requires a signature like booze or high value items.

call the local facility pick and tell them to leave it on your doorstep. they may even be able to get ahold of the driver today and if he is nice he might stop by again.

i used to be a manager at fedex ground they are mostly colossal morons so never feel bad about calling the building.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Good afternoon, thread!

What's this you're saying about an ark?

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Thora posted:

Aw man I forgot the cardinal rule: Never insult someone who can poke you with sharp things or handles your food.

Trust me, you won't forget that one again. Enjoy your Plebe Panang!!

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Enfys posted:

Could I have a not special one? Also will you cook for me forever because all the recipes you post are stupidly delicious?

Trade you free health care for full-time cooking duties!

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

cause if you're doing an ark you better not fuckin' forget about serval cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Meis posted:

cause if you're doing an ark you better not fuckin' forget about serval cats

Cervix cats?? What are those? Are they like vag spiders?

• Locked thread