Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

for this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.’ And they began to be merry.

Now to do something about that massive fender gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You going out on the trail this weekend? Looks like you can disconnect your front sway bar and get some good rock climbing action.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Something is wrong right?

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
Maybe. They had to replace the one strut, so I'm kinda hoping maybe it just needs to settle. I was so happy to get it back that I didn't notice it until I went to take pictures. The work is warrantied, but shop is closed until Monday. I'll look into it over the weekend.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
That's nothing that can't be fixed with a torch and a fat friend.

isr
Jun 13, 2013
Request for sanity check.

I've had my '04 MSM for a couple months now, and I'm starting to understand what I've read about its shortcomings w.r.t. heat-soak, slow turbo spool up, etc. I'm thinking about getting Flyin' Miata's Little Enchilada package, and installing it myself. https://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/MSM_upgrades.php. I figured I'd start with the complete intake kit, and go from there.

I'm a fairly inexperienced wrench turner, I've changed tires, batteries, oil, but nothing engine related. I've read through and understand the instructions for the complete intake kit, I have the MSM '04 service manual, and I'm within walking distance to an Autozone. For each upgrade I'd be able to start on a friday night and need to be finished by sunday night.

Is it stupid for me to try do this myself?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

isr posted:

I'm a fairly inexperienced wrench turner, I've changed tires, batteries, oil, but nothing engine related. I've read through and understand the instructions for the complete intake kit, I have the MSM '04 service manual, and I'm within walking distance to an Autozone. For each upgrade I'd be able to start on a friday night and need to be finished by sunday night.

Depends on your definition of "need"
In general, you probably shouldn't be worried about doing too much damage or making mistakes... but you will probably end up with busted knuckles and spend 3-4x as long as a professional would take. You should be able to get most things done in a weekend, but I'd worry about the downpipe and exhaust. You may find yourself in a place where you got half the bolts off, but the other half are totally rusted and you have to soak them for a day in PB-blaster or something. That's where your time will be lost -- "If I could just get this loving bolt off..."

e-mail FM and ask them for the installation instructions (if they're not already posted on the website), go through them a few times and see how you feel about it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My NB's 3-button remote keyfob is starting to behave strangely - basically not working on a random basis. It's not the battery because I tried swapping in a new one, and not a programming isse because I went through the whole process only to have it work three times in a row but then again only every other time at best. Any ideas what might be the problem? This really sucks because somebody hosed around with the door lock, making inserting the key a pain in the rear end, and I'm worried about getting locked out of my car :(

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

My NB's 3-button remote keyfob is starting to behave strangely - basically not working on a random basis. It's not the battery because I tried swapping in a new one, and not a programming isse because I went through the whole process only to have it work three times in a row but then again only every other time at best. Any ideas what might be the problem? This really sucks because somebody hosed around with the door lock, making inserting the key a pain in the rear end, and I'm worried about getting locked out of my car :(

Try taking it apart and bending the contacts towards the battery a little. They can make intermittent contact causing this strange behavior.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
So I have rod knock now. I just finished the cooling system refresh and a new timing belt. Oil pressure never moved (and is still good), oil level is fine, but it is definitely knocking. Joy. This is a reman engine too, only three years old.

Time to buy an engine stand I guess, as well as a beater in the interim.

Goddammit.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SytO7CoSvy4

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Mar 31, 2014

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Beach Bum posted:

So I have rod knock now. I just finished the cooling system refresh and a new timing belt. Oil pressure never moved (and is still good), oil level is fine, but it is definitely knocking. Joy. This is a reman engine too, only three years old.

Goddammit.

That doesn't sound very good. :(

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

isr posted:

Request for sanity check.

I've had my '04 MSM for a couple months now, and I'm starting to understand what I've read about its shortcomings w.r.t. heat-soak, slow turbo spool up, etc. I'm thinking about getting Flyin' Miata's Little Enchilada package, and installing it myself. https://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/MSM_upgrades.php. I figured I'd start with the complete intake kit, and go from there.

The downpipe took me and a buddy an entire weekend, but we did get it done. You're going to need a fairly extensive assortment of extensions and swivels, u-joints, etc. It's only like 6 bolts but it took me a long time. That said, I think you could probably do exhaust and downpipe altogether in a single weekend. I'd make sure you have two FULL days set aside just in case. Everything else looks extremely easy and I don't think you'll have an issue (dunno about injectors, not sure what's involved in that)

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

Goddammit.

Are you sure? My car made the same noise for at least 15-20 minutes the first time I did the TB. Takes a while for the HLAs to shut up and its a lot louder than regular HLA tick. Good luck!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

destructo posted:

Are you sure? My car made the same noise for at least 15-20 minutes the first time I did the TB. Takes a while for the HLAs to shut up and its a lot louder than regular HLA tick. Good luck!

It's been 5 days and 500 miles since the TB job. It was not making that noise until just this morning. It is reaaally noisy. You can really hear it bein not-HLA at the tail end of the rev as it's coming down to idle again.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Update on the car:

(I apologize for the change in aspect, I am dumb and can't hold a phone sideways when I'm looking at the back of it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAkkqS8xrPU

Thank God for magic fairy dust!

As I said in the video, it turned out that the crank pulley torque spec of 80ftlb is not sufficient to keep it from backing off. The keyway on the pulley and crank is now completely knackered. I'm going to go back in there and do the locktite fix until I can get my hands on a shortblock with a bignose crank and do a proper rebuild and swap.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

So when I did mine, I have the long nose crank and did 120ft-lbs, but did not apply loctite. I haven't driven it yet, just ran it in the basement unloaded. Should I be super worried? And more importantly I'm assuming I should pull it back apart, loctite it, and re-torque it? Dammit. Well I guess I can probably get away with just pulling the swaybar maybe.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Viper915 posted:

So when I did mine, I have the long nose crank and did 120ft-lbs, but did not apply loctite. I haven't driven it yet, just ran it in the basement unloaded. Should I be super worried? And more importantly I'm assuming I should pull it back apart, loctite it, and re-torque it? Dammit. Well I guess I can probably get away with just pulling the swaybar maybe.

With the longnose, if your keyways weren't already knackered like mine were, you used a new key in the proper orientation, and a new crank bolt properly torqued, you oughta be fine.

When I say Locktite fix, I mean this: http://www.miata.net/garage/hsue/LoctiteCrank2.html

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

Update on the car:

(I apologize for the change in aspect, I am dumb and can't hold a phone sideways when I'm looking at the back of it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAkkqS8xrPU

Thank God for magic fairy dust!

As I said in the video, it turned out that the crank pulley torque spec of 80ftlb is not sufficient to keep it from backing off. The keyway on the pulley and crank is now completely knackered. I'm going to go back in there and do the locktite fix until I can get my hands on a shortblock with a bignose crank and do a proper rebuild and swap.

Shave your face bro.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

n8r posted:

Shave your face bro.

It's been a long week :(

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Beach Bum posted:

With the longnose, if your keyways weren't already knackered like mine were, you used a new key in the proper orientation, and a new crank bolt properly torqued, you oughta be fine.

When I say Locktite fix, I mean this: http://www.miata.net/garage/hsue/LoctiteCrank2.html

Right, I was thinking that the m.net torque specs say to use loctite in addition to torque. I have a long nose, keyway was perfect, used a brand new key, and torqued to 120 ft-lbs. I figured I was good, but talk of cranks has me nervous since this is my first timing belt and it's not back on the road yet so I can still get back in if needed. Am I being overly paranoid?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Oh poo poo, so it does. I'll pull it tomorrow and blue it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Beach Bum posted:

Oh poo poo, so it does. I'll pull it tomorrow and blue it.

You should definitely get a new crank. I suggest this one, and the accessories that are attached to it. :v:

But I'm glad it was something simple, though again you definitely need to Loctite that crank bolt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Took the NC out to see dad tonight. Put just shy of 100 miles on her, a mix of small town twisty roads and highway. Most time I spent in the car so far and loved every second.

isr
Jun 13, 2013

revmoo posted:

The downpipe took me and a buddy an entire weekend, but we did get it done. You're going to need a fairly extensive assortment of extensions and swivels, u-joints, etc. It's only like 6 bolts but it took me a long time. That said, I think you could probably do exhaust and downpipe altogether in a single weekend. I'd make sure you have two FULL days set aside just in case. Everything else looks extremely easy and I don't think you'll have an issue (dunno about injectors, not sure what's involved in that)

Hog Obituary posted:

Depends on your definition of "need"
In general, you probably shouldn't be worried about doing too much damage or making mistakes... but you will probably end up with busted knuckles and spend 3-4x as long as a professional would take. You should be able to get most things done in a weekend, but I'd worry about the downpipe and exhaust. You may find yourself in a place where you got half the bolts off, but the other half are totally rusted and you have to soak them for a day in PB-blaster or something. That's where your time will be lost -- "If I could just get this loving bolt off..."

e-mail FM and ask them for the installation instructions (if they're not already posted on the website), go through them a few times and see how you feel about it.

Thanks for the responses, I'm going to go for it! In a while...

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

isr posted:

Thanks for the responses, I'm going to go for it! In a while...
Sounds good. Whatever you do, don't buy a Hydra from FM. They're loving terrible.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I have a shortnose crank from a JDM B6T (nothing special AFAIK), is it worth putting on eBay? It'd need to be resurfaced since it has some light rust, but the engine had FOD and was otherwise scrapped.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So the top on the NC is leaking. Right at the back behind the driver's seat. I got water in the car again after thinking I'd found the hole. The top itself is looking pretty ratty so I figure I'm just going to budget for a whole new top here next month. Robbins is still the best right?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yep http://topsonline.com/

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Woo, my wife finally gave her standing agreement to my second car purchase. Hopefully it's not too close to summer to get a good price on a NA.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sweet. I did find a second hole so I may try sealing it and putting off the new top for a few weeks. I want to spend money on the other car.

blk posted:

Woo, my wife finally gave her standing agreement to my second car purchase. Hopefully it's not too close to summer to get a good price on a NA.

Excellent man.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

Seconding that as a decent top source. The streamline top I ordered from there for my NB was about 40 bucks cheaper than elsewhere and it shipped pretty promptly. Assuming it doesn't rain, I'll probably be attempting the install this weekend.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Finally pulled the crank bolt back out and locktited it with the blue stuff. If it backs off again I'm just going to weld the timing gear on the drat thing and start looking for a new shortblock.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Harmburger posted:

Try taking it apart and bending the contacts towards the battery a little. They can make intermittent contact causing this strange behavior.

Sadly this didn't seem to help, it just sometimes works on the 5th press or something. Are the fobs known to die for no reason? I only have one so I can't test whether the problem's in the key fob or the car's receiver.

For the other "getting into my own car" aspect, I managed to get the tiny flappy door in the door lock sufficiently out of the way with some screwdrivers to be able to get the key in. However this leaves a gaping hope there, is difficult to turn, and the key sometimes gets stuck there. Perfect!

It seems that this highlighted part is what's hosed, but it looks possible to replace without replacing all locks (or even just the door lock). How much of a pain in the rear end is accessing the lock? I'll have to disassemble the whole door, won't I?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Why are you locking your doors?

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
Locks keep honest people honest. Thieves are assholes and will cut your top anyway.

(And maybe he has a hardtop, smarty)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

n8r posted:

I'd rather lose the <$50 in whatnot I may have rattling around my car than have to pay $400 for a new top and spend 5 hours installing it.

Those loving end nuts, doing those with a rollbar is :suicide:

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

n8r posted:

I used to not lock my doors since I have nothing of value in the car. That is, until someone went in overnight and left used condoms and empty dime bags inside. In a rational world with rational people, keeping your doors unlocked is best. Unfortunately that's not the world we live in.

Also I could use an excuse to buy a new top.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

Hikaki posted:

I used to not lock my doors since I have nothing of value in the car. That is, until someone went in overnight and left used condoms and empty dime bags inside.
Wait, people managed to do some kind of condom requiring activity inside a miata? They must have been either midgets or contortionists.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

dpidz0r posted:

Wait, people managed to do some kind of condom requiring activity inside a miata? They must have been either midgets or contortionists.

I doubt they actually did the deed inside. No, I think it was kids that thought it would be funny to leave gross poo poo. Same type of kids that like to walk down a row of cars and kick out all the side mirrors.

I guess I'll really know who did it if I ever see a midget couple in my neighborhood though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

dpidz0r posted:

Seriously. Best I've managed was 75% inside.