Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Oh my god you're right:

What a tragic fate. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Motherfucker posted:

Nope. From got sued by some Japanese company for their manikin design, hence why they're all headless now.

Holy poo poo this is news to me, granted I did lock myself away from any and all potential spoilers until I got the game on PC.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

What a great profanity filter :allears:

Spudd posted:

Wait, what?

You're just loving with us right... right?

Wiki says the Manikin masks were changed because of some legal disagreement with the company that makes Naruto. I don't know anything about that show but I'd assume it means there's some prominent mask design in it that looks similar. Or its just a load of bullshit.

Personally I think the headless Manikkin looks better anyways. Missing a head completely really shows that they are hosed up puppet creatures and not just humans in a weird mask.

FutonForensic posted:

Oh my god you're right:

What a tragic fate. :(

This mask is great for weird costumes though :v:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 23, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
It'd be cooler if the manikin's heads just came right off if you tried to headshot them for absolutely no damage.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Motherfucker posted:

Nope. From got sued by some Japanese company for their manikin design, hence why they're all headless now.

This isn't actually confirmed one way or another, and they probably didn't get sued so much as maybe threatened with legal action but nothing else.

It's completely possible that they decided they liked the more grotesque mask more.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Mighty Dicktron posted:

This isn't actually confirmed one way or another, and they probably didn't get sued so much as maybe threatened with legal action but nothing else.

It's completely possible that they decided they liked the more grotesque mask more.

Doubt it, I'm pretty sure the change was spurred by the legal threats considering they only changed it after the threat of legal action and already included the design in their reveal trailer.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
What I'm saying is that the legal threats might not have ever happened. I've never seen an actual source about it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Apparently it was only thrown in as a homage to naruto in the first place, I figure there was no 'formal' legal posturing it was just like 'Take it out :mad:' 'okay :smith:'

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
What I'm getting at is that after looking through everything there's no statement made anywhere by anyone that is a reputable source that says that the masks were an homage to Naruto at all nor was Fromsoft ever come to legal issues with anyone related to it and it's probably just a stupid fan rumor that got popular for no reason other than repeated insistence.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

No reputable English source anyway.

Both companies are Japanese.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well Dark Souls is apparently full of Berserk* references so maybe people just naturally assume it was a reference to another popular Japanesse thing.

*I don't know poo poo about Berserk so maybe this is just dumb fan myths as well.

VVV Buy a mace. Problem solved. Sorry misread your post :downs:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 23, 2014

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
What's the best way to get a bow to pump out decent damage? I wanted to do a bow/Vanquisher's Seal Covenant of Champions run but I'm having a rough time in the early game 'cause everything just takes way too long to die. I bought a pair of Caestus to use as makeshift fists until I'm ready to farm Rhoy and I ended up relying on those to get through Heide's 'cause the shortbow just wasn't doing it. (I also had to give up fighting Ornstein for now because it was just taking too drat long to kill him and I kept running out of Estus and dying to two hits of a combo five minutes in.)

Internet Kraken posted:

VVV Buy a mace. Problem solved.

What kind of punch-archer uses a mace? :colbert:

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 23, 2014

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Spudd posted:

Holy poo poo this is news to me, granted I did lock myself away from any and all potential spoilers until I got the game on PC.

This is just a rumor. It's never been confirmed. You can't find any news about it and no one has really reported about it either -- it started from a forum post where someone just mentioned how it looked like a mask from an anime.

For all we know, the major reason it was removed was to mirror Mytha's boss design.

I checked for Japanese sources as well and didn't find any. There literally isn't any source that claims this at all. None even reporting threats or legal action, no sources even remotely discussing the mask as a homage or even remotely looking like the mask from Naruto or whatever.

The truth is, it probably just didn't fit well with the design of the level. Which it didn't, no matter how cool it looked.

laplace fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 23, 2014

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Opposing Farce posted:

What's the best way to get a bow to pump out decent damage? I wanted to do a bow/Vanquisher's Seal Covenant of Champions run but I'm having a rough time in the early game 'cause everything just takes way too long to die. I bought a pair of Caestus to use as makeshift fists until I'm ready to farm Rhoy and I ended up relying on those to get through Heide's 'cause the shortbow just wasn't doing it. (I also had to give up fighting Ornstein for now because it was just taking too drat long to kill him and I kept running out of Estus and dying to two hits of a combo five minutes in.)

What kind of punch-archer uses a mace? :colbert:

Aim for the head. Prepare to play AI tag.

Bows were more of an aggro tool than a real weapon until I got a Dragonrider Bow, which you can get before greatbows become a thing. Unupgraded it's decent, with some Dragon Bones it's a beast. Looks like you'll be punching things for the foreseeable future.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What is the best bow for bow related sniping anyway? I never used bows since they are pretty low damage and tunnel vision you for a hefty stamina cost and weapon swapping time.

Dragonrider for high int? Bow of Want for high faith? Blackbow for high dex?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What is the best bow for bow related sniping anyway? I never used bows since they are pretty low damage and tunnel vision you for a hefty stamina cost and weapon swapping time.

Dragonrider is good for strength characters if you want a normal sized bow, never tried the other two though. Downside of Dragonrider's Bow is that it takes up a lot of stamina to use.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Dragon slayer greatbow if you have strength, hunters blackbow if not.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Man, I just wrecked an invader with the Murakumo's roll R1 attack, I love how you do that little leap while you bring your sword around. It was deliciously close too -- he killed the phantom I was PvE'ing with and took me down to ~50 HP.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Aim for the head. Prepare to play AI tag.

Bows were more of an aggro tool than a real weapon until I got a Dragonrider Bow, which you can get before greatbows become a thing. Unupgraded it's decent, with some Dragon Bones it's a beast. Looks like you'll be punching things for the foreseeable future.

the Dragonrider Bow is pretty good but there's just so many other things I'd rather use those dragon bones on. I hate how they're so rare :negative:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Sea Bow if you have the Str and Dex for it. Longest reach available, reasonable damage, shortbow speed.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The basic longbow has the best damage of any of the pre-castle bows. Never got around to checking the black bow.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

The basic longbow has the best damage of any of the pre-castle bows. Never got around to checking the black bow.

It is amazing.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

DID SOMEONE SAY MIRROR KNIGHT? SORRY I COULDN'T HEAR YOU BECAUSE WHEN I FOUGHT HIM HE DEAFENED ME WITH HIS LIGHTNING ATTACK EVEN THOUGHT I HAD THE GAME VOLUME WAY DOWN.

I play with the audio on games cranked way down, I have good enough speakers to get away with it without lose of quality.

So here I am, in what I would recount as the most memorable fight for me in the entire game (And against a giant humanoid enemy, gasp!), he's not too tough, but he's actually fun and the setting is amazing, it's like the epic fight in an action movie. Then he raises his sword in the air and calls down a silent bolt of lightning. Huh, that's weird, shouldn't that have-

My desk shook and I jumped n my seat, it made my girlfriend scream and she had played this fight before on the PS3. My ears hurt like a gently caress and they hadn't stopped ringing by the time he did it again, and while I am dreading that intensely sharp pain of sound again on NG+ I seriously think it was the best moment of that fight by far.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Depends on where you are and what your stats are focused on.

Killing the Old Iron King on NG+ or using a bonfire ascetic at Eygil's Idol will let you trade for the Dragonslayer Greatbow, which is the single highest physical damage bow bar none and infusions can push it up even further if you have the Int/Faith for it. The Alonne Greatbow is second best and you can both find it in NG and upgrade it with regular Titanite. Both Greatbows take a lot of stamina and root you in place while firing, unlike regular bows.

The Dragonrider Bow is the best of the smaller bows but scales to Strength rather than Dex and takes dragon bones to upgrade. At +5 it's comparable to a non-infused Dragonslayer Greatbow in total damage, possibly a bit higher if you're also an Int caster, with more mobility and cheaper ammo. Its base physical damage puts other non-greatbows to shame and it has over half as much magic damage on top of that. But it's not for a Dex character, which doesn't describe many archer builds. Interestingly, since fists also scale best with Strength, the Dragonrider Bow does make an excellent choice for Opposing Farce's punch-archer. You don't need dragon bones to upgrade caestuses or the Vanquisher's Seal. You can also use it early on without having to burn an ascetic, as you can acquire one from Straid, who you don't need to beat Lost Sinner to free if you grab a branch of yore from Harvest Valley beforehand (the Skeleton Lords are much easier than the Lost Sinner). It's also a good choice as a ranged option for Mace users (especially dual powerstance Macers) for the same reasons. Its main downside besides taking dragon bones is that it's a stamina hog, making it more for sniping lone enemies like a greatbow rather than a reliable and steady damage-dealer against bosses. Unlike greatbows, though, you can play peek-a-boo with ranged enemies, charging up shots behind pillars/walls and firing when you peek out.

Of the standard bows (if you don't want to use those precious dragon bones), the Hunter's Blackbow's S-rank Dex scaling makes it the best for a Dex-focused character, but it's found late in the game (Drangleic Castle) so a lot of people don't bother with it. The Longbow is a very good second choice with higher base damage and A-rank Dex since you can get one much earlier. For more balanced phys characters, Ornifex sells the Composite Bow which has the best base damage of the regular bows and C-ranked scaling in both Str and Dex (and the range difference is negligible). The Sea Bow is a bit like the Composite Bow's early-game little brother, though you probably won't notice the extra range on it.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Magmarashi posted:

I play with the audio on games cranked way down, I have good enough speakers to get away with it without lose of quality.

this game is especially loud for some reason, almost like a Source game but not quite. I play with it half down in my volume mixer.

Whix
Oct 2, 2008

IT GOES BOOM!
Oh yes, loving Dark Fog. Killed both invaders in Belfry Luna without them even touching me. Dark Fog owns in tight spaces.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Friendtip, Dragon acolytes in Alida's keep drop dragon bones.

So now you won't feel so bad about having to kill loving shitloads of them every time you try and get the monastery scimitar :eng101:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I want to use this mod but the OP says you can get banned for that. Is that still happening? It sounds like VAC used to be in the game but also like it's not even possible for the game to VAC ban you because it has no other anticheat?

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Along the same lines, are we safe to CE in cracked orbs and other stuff? Anyone been banned yet?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sup fashion souls?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah, you need to beat a boss with the white soapstone as a sunbro to get your medal.

Not entirely true. You just need to get Duty fulfilled with the white soapstone to get a sunligt medal. It's easiest to get this by killing a boss. But you can also get it, by killing enough monsters just like with the small white soapstone. It takes longer, but it's possible. Especially in areas like no mans warf, if you place the sign near the bonfire.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

On the subject of bows:

Bandits start out with a shortbow, and you can get a shortbow from the chest in Lenigrast's shop, but otherwise it's weirdly unlikely that you'll be upgrading your bow before McDuff. Several monsters actually drop bows (hollow soldiers [with bows] drop longbows, Varangians drop the Sea Bow, etc.) but they are strangely rare considering how few bows there are and how many of these particular monsters you'll be killing.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Colapops posted:

On the subject of bows:

Bandits start out with a shortbow, and you can get a shortbow from the chest in Lenigrast's shop, but otherwise it's weirdly unlikely that you'll be upgrading your bow before McDuff. Several monsters actually drop bows (hollow soldiers [with bows] drop longbows, Varangians drop the Sea Bow, etc.) but they are strangely rare considering how few bows there are and how many of these particular monsters you'll be killing.

From isn't very good at designing these things if you havent noticed. Another example is how pretty much all the covenants work. 25 awestones for the first dragon ring? You'll have the second one long before that. Let's not even start on blood bro covenant. Also as far as weapons go all decent sorcery staffs are rare drops from limited mobs and thats only if you've read a wiki where to find them. You'll basically have to wait until after drangleic castle to get a decent staff.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Optiquest posted:

Along the same lines, are we safe to CE in cracked orbs and other stuff? Anyone been banned yet?

So long as you do it offline you should be fine.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I want to use this mod but the OP says you can get banned for that. Is that still happening? It sounds like VAC used to be in the game but also like it's not even possible for the game to VAC ban you because it has no other anticheat?

No one has ever been banned for using GeDoSaTo (or anything else, afaik).

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Depends on where you are and what your stats are focused on...

There's one important thing you missed, which is that the Hunter's bow uses significantly less stamina than the rest of the bows with decent scaling, which allows you to shoot four times on a full stamina bar (at the soft cap), while the others can only shoot three times (Dragonrider Bow is only two shots I think?). Four shots happens to be the number required to poison most enemies. At 40 STR/DEX it does more damage than the Sea/Composite bows, as well.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 23, 2014

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Regy Rusty posted:

So far my attempts at being summoned by LGK have only resulted in being regular summoned by an infinite health hacker with butterfly wings (how do you get those??) who couldn't hit me with lightning and then ran away to the boss door. :geno:

E: Now I got brought in by a guy and two helpers all standing around spamming VERY GOOD :lol:

you might have found out already but just incase, all you need to do to get summoned is place your sign down and wait 10 seconds. if you dont get summoned in 10 seconds put the sign down again. lgk decides in 10 seconds whether he wants you or not. i did this last time i was there and got summoned repeatedly for like an hour, usually against the same poor sap who didnt know how to roll.

i hear it works anywhere in the castle but i havent tried that myself, i just put the sign down in the candle room.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
What SM have you guys been going for LGK summons at?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Wallet posted:

There's one important thing you missed, which is that the Hunter's bow uses significantly less stamina than the rest of the bows with decent scaling, which allows you to shoot four times on a full stamina bar (at the soft cap), while the others can only shoot three times (Dragonrider Bow is only two shots I think?). Four shots happens to be the number required to poison most enemies. At 40 STR/DEX it does more damage than the Sea/Composite bows, as well.

Not to mention that the Dragonrider is not very good against other bow users in PvP. I tried to shoot at a ratboy in Pharos before climbing the ladder but he managed to get his shots off before me and knock men out of the firing animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

turtlecrunch posted:

What SM have you guys been going for LGK summons at?

i was around 2 mil when i did it.