Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Goofballs posted:

The only goon I know to talk to who was into it for a while spent a lot of the time tabbed out playing unreal tournament.

You have to understand that literally everything in this game that is not directly interacting with other people is boring as poo poo. Even interacting with other people is generally boring as poo poo. Flying your ship is boring as poo poo, it's all point and click. Making money is boring as poo poo, it doesn't matter if you're shooting at things or buying and selling commodities or whatever, everything is point and click.

The most fun I had in that game was trolling through recruitment channel looking for pubbies to scam because they wanted into goon fleet. Even that was boring and repetitious so I only did it until I had enough money to pay for my subscriptions and then did other things, which amounted to turning on a bot program and letting it kill things for me to make more money while I played TF2.

We invaded an enemy system for a week once. We hotdropped pubbies in blackops ships. We got drunk and went out and picked fights with fleets that were bigger and better equipped than us and 100 people died to blow up five ships worth a hundred times what all our ships combined were worth. Each. These things could make for good stories and amounted to less than a tenth of the time I spent logged in over the year I played.

When you get down to it, all of your time spent in EVE is a waste. You are wasting precious seconds of your life. Every second you put into it you are closer to death and have gained nothing. It's not even fun on it's own merits. There is nothing about the game that is actually good, nothing about EVE that is a fun experience worth doing on it's own merits.

And so, the goal of EVE is to make other people spend more of their time than you. To destroy things that others have poured months or years of their lives into. No one wins at EVE. But you can with planning and a tiny bit of effort and a few friends who won't blow you up until after you achieve your mutual objective make other people lose far, far more than you do.

Wild T posted:

I've never played EVE, but my limited understanding is two things:

1. No matter how hare-brained the scam, there will be schmucks who fall for it.

2. Nothing is worth getting into EVE for.

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The only goon I know that played EVE had goonswarm build him a Titan (the most expensive ship in the game), then he quit goonswarm and flipped his account for 1000$, I'm sure he won EVE that day.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sandweed posted:

The only goon I know that played EVE had goonswarm build him a Titan (the most expensive ship in the game), then he quit goonswarm and flipped his account for 1000$, I'm sure he won EVE that day.

I'm really skeptical that someone would actually pay $1000 for a Titan, ESPECIALLY for one now linked to an account that won't be trusted by any alliance in the game. Your friend is probably a liar.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
You seem to underestimate how stupid EVE pubbies are.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm really skeptical that someone would actually pay $1000 for a Titan, ESPECIALLY for one now linked to an account that won't be trusted by any alliance in the game. Your friend is probably a liar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBY-72hN4hE

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wild T posted:

I've never played EVE, but my limited understanding is two things:

1. No matter how hare-brained the scam, there will be schmucks who fall for it.

2. Nothing is worth getting into EVE for.

Very true, not even the people who play EVE like playing EVE and all of the pubbies are morons

Sammus posted:

Isn't that what the whole "Hulkageddon" event was/is? I've never played EVE, but it's my understanding that at some point goons put a large bounty on some sort of large, expensive freighters that pubbies love. Lots of freighters get blown up, some people get rich shooting things, and lots of pubbies cry. On top of getting their ships destroyed, goons have a monopoly over the supply of a mineral that is required to produce the freighters and they actually make a profit while paying out bounties because people have to pay goons to replace their ships.

The developers used to place certain resources in certain regions of space, so it was really easy to get a monopoly back then by just taking a corner of the galaxy and holding it. Those days are long gone. Hulkageddon took place back then, and it's pretty much what you described; we made so much profit per destroyed ship that we were still able to pay out huge bounties on them

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Chomp8645 posted:

A guy here on the forums have payed 11000$ for spaceships in a game that isn't even out yet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag42gMGK9WrwdDlkdUM2NEhudW42MkNfWDhJYmhFSVE#gid=0

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Sandweed posted:

A guy here on the forums have payed 11000$ for spaceships in a game that isn't even out yet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag42gMGK9WrwdDlkdUM2NEhudW42MkNfWDhJYmhFSVE#gid=0

I hope Star Citizen never comes out.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

VanSandman posted:

I hope Star Citizen never comes out.

to be fair. i'd giggle horribly.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
The great thing about Star Citizen is that it is not a question of who or what kills it but when.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This is the only thing I know about star citizen, and the fact that people have payed actual dollars for this. Multiple digits of dollars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXJZbPI5nKE

I am amused at those people.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Gestalt Intellect posted:

This is the only thing I know about star citizen, and the fact that people have payed actual dollars for this. Multiple digits of dollars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXJZbPI5nKE

I am amused at those people.

There were goons in that crowd, some of them proud owners of $1000+ ships. My favorite part of the whole Star Citizen nonsense is that even if everything goes smoothly and according to plan, there won't be anything resembling a finished product for at least 4 years from now.

That doesn't stop the SC Goons from theorycrafting and making up tactics for a game which doesn't even have it's core game mechanics finished.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
While the people putting real money into that game are ridiculous many goons are also selling their limited edition early backer ships back to Reddit for triple their original price. This makes them the nerdiest investors ever I guess.

Also that thread is starting to get gloriously bitter as the realisation sinks in that they're in for the long haul.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

I think the real griefer is Christopher Robin or whatever the developer's name is. Is there even anything for anyone to play? Some kind of beta? Or just "in X years we might have something for you" and people immediately throw down tens of thousands of dollars?

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Dreggon posted:

I think the real griefer is Christopher Robin or whatever the developer's name is. Is there even anything for anyone to play? Some kind of beta? Or just "in X years we might have something for you" and people immediately throw down tens of thousands of dollars?

You can walk around your hanger and take a poo poo in your imaginary space toilet or you can play 3v3 online dogfights so there is a sort of actual game kinda.

It even kind of works sometimes.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Dreggon posted:

Oh bother.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Thank you I almost missed that one.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Now admittedly, this might be painfully low effort.

But whenever I play on LoL, I strive to make the enemy as annoyed as possible by my actions as possible, mostly by playing Teemo and taunting them in all chat.

When the stars align and an ADC charges up to me only to be met by a mushroom, a blinding dart, and poison for days, resulting in no damage to me and a taunt of, "Wow, you sure tried hard on that~!"?

Oh, the sheer anger and hatred spewed over all chat just makes my life complete.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

tomanton posted:

We were playing on a TTT server. Like most terrible servers the moderators were power-tripping, their sycophants were insufferable, and they also had a really badly-coded admin addon wuat exploited to permaban all of the above. Anyone not a rankless, make-believe title-less user was shown the door, leaving us and the pubbies to enjoy TTT as it was meant to be played.

The staff took exception to this

Oh poo poo, there are goons that still play TTT? I'd be down to join you guys, TTT can get people so salty.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/realmcopfan/

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Nickiepoo posted:

While the people putting real money into that game are ridiculous many goons are also selling their limited edition early backer ships back to Reddit for triple their original price. This makes them the nerdiest investors ever I guess.

Also that thread is starting to get gloriously bitter as the realisation sinks in that they're in for the long haul.

Can someone not too briefly explain Star Citizen for those of us who have only been exposed to it through random jokes other people make about it? This sounds like a saga story and I'm curious.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
It's a dumb vaporware game about internet spaceships. Dumb people have sunk obscene amounts of money into it in the form of pre-order bonuses. We're talking five figures. For internet spaceships that don't exist.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Basically it is/was/will eventually be a space ship game done by some dude who work on a bunch of other spaceship games. People then looked at it and its massive list of proposed features(TRADING SPACE COMBAT MMO FEATURES FPS LEVELS AAAAA) and either went "lol this is gonna be a cluster gently caress" and ignored it or praised as the second coming of space jesus and proceed to dump money into it.

Some parts have been released, but by the time it will be complete and actually playable space travel will probably no longer be science fiction.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
I hate the current era of big publishers producing only stale games so I hope it succeeds enough to not be considered a dismal failure that prevents other developers from considering a similar path. That being said, it will likely be a dismal failure since Chris Roberts is managing it and is promising everything that anyone could want ever.

Or it's just one of the greatest cons in history, in that nerds will bitch about it for decades.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah, basically it's THE guy for spaceship games making THE game for spaceship nerds. 'A full immersive universe where you can be a PERSON in fantasy spaceship land and make your fortune or be a space arsehole or whatever!'

The dude, Chris Roberts, made the old Wing Commander games so already you've got the nostalga bucks but on top of that they're really hammering their marketing machine, producing car-advert style videos for each of their internet spaceships while also reeling in Battlestar/Babylon 5/Firefly fans with subtle references to their favourite shows. "Watch this shakeycam footage of neutonian combat, see you in the 'verse!" ect ect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0gZES2pTWk

I like spaceships because I'm a nerd but $1000 internet spaceships over a dorky flying car advert? Hahahaha.

As a side note, Chris Roberts was part of the team making the old Microsoft PC game 'Freelancer' which is basically the lite version of what Star Citizen is trying to be.
He got kicked off the project for obsessing over tiny details and not making an actual game, so yeah.

Nickiepoo fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 7, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

TheSpiritFox posted:

Can someone not too briefly explain Star Citizen for those of us who have only been exposed to it through random jokes other people make about it? This sounds like a saga story and I'm curious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZHElERa0JA

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
That one was funny, but this one is hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwjj4e1VRfc

STARRRRRFLEET DENTAL!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Nickiepoo posted:

The dude, Chris Roberts, made the old Wing Commander games

It still stupid, because unless he did it all by himself it basically ignores the efforts of everyone else who made those games. Oh yea sure the artists, programmers and QA guys worked i guess, but CHRIS ROBERTS.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Doodles posted:

I didn't post that one because it was mostly hype and injokes instead of actually mocking the game.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL

Agean90 posted:

It still stupid, because unless he did it all by himself it basically ignores the efforts of everyone else who made those games. Oh yea sure the artists, programmers and QA guys worked i guess, but CHRIS ROBERTS.

It's worth bringing up whenever Chris Roberts is mentioned that the last game he worked on and completed predates the original Doom, and the last game of any kind that he worked on was about fifteen years ago, he left at the first sign of trouble, and it ended up being vaporware that was eventually finished three years after his departure to the praise of "it's okay I guess."

This makes him qualified to work on an eight-figure game in 2014, apparently?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
DEREK SMART DEREK SMART DEREK SMART has actually shipped more space sims in that time with less hype and probably less money and definitely less vaporware.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

DEREK SMART DEREK SMART DEREK SMART has actually shipped more space sims in that time with less hype and probably less money and definitely less vaporware.

Though in fairness what we've already got of SC is already more playable than the average Derek Smart game.

Though speaking of Derek Smart in a griefing thread maybe it's time to remind people of this: http://www.somethingawful.com/game-reviews/completely-libelous-review/2/

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Nickiepoo posted:

Though in fairness what we've already got of SC is already more playable than the average Derek Smart game.

Though speaking of Derek Smart in a griefing thread maybe it's time to remind people of this: http://www.somethingawful.com/game-reviews/completely-libelous-review/2/

Desktop Commander is the greatest piece of software ever written.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Does fake football count as Griefing for this thread?

http://www.sbnation.com/fantasy/2014/8/7/5978593/how-to-ruin-a-fantasy-mock-draft

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Doodles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwjj4e1VRfc

STARRRRRFLEET DENTAL!

Oh my god this is art. I'm crying.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Ok, so....why does picking a bad player "ruin" the draft?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Soulex posted:

Ok, so....why does picking a bad player "ruin" the draft?
The people after the draft ruiner get an advantage because potential good players that would have been picked in a normal draft aren't picked.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Fantasy football nerds do mock drafts to get familiar with how people are grabbing players in this year's draft. They do this thinking it'll make them better prepared for their actual draft.

Note that only hardcare FF nerds will do mock drafts. It's fake football and isn't that important to really anyone else. Plus drafts are often a crapshoot anyway. You're about as likely to draft the #1 guy for this year as you are to draft a sure-thing who gets hurt in Week 1.

So when you purposefully go into a mock draft and grab a kicker in the first round, it screws up "the way the draft is supposed to go" for the rest of the rounds.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush
I was playing Left 4 Dead 2 scavenge mode and this guy was acting kind of smug and douchy to everyone, so I made fun of him about being adopted. He got so angry that his girlfriend (who was also in the game) had to tell him to calm down.

Douche: "DON'T TELL ME TO CALM DOWN YOU loving oval office!"

GF: You know I'm getting really sick of your bullshit!

This went on for a bit and I'm pretty sure I was the cause of a relationship falling apart. Just from tossing gas cans over the side and constant medkit trapping. And maybe the thing about his parents dying in a car crash and him being adopted.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Constantine XI posted:

I was playing Left 4 Dead 2 scavenge mode and this guy was acting kind of smug and douchy to everyone, so I made fun of him about being adopted. He got so angry that his girlfriend (who was also in the game) had to tell him to calm down.

Douche: "DON'T TELL ME TO CALM DOWN YOU loving oval office!"

GF: You know I'm getting really sick of your bullshit!

This went on for a bit and I'm pretty sure I was the cause of a relationship falling apart. Just from tossing gas cans over the side and constant medkit trapping. And maybe the thing about his parents dying in a car crash and him being adopted.

You did that lady a service, griefing saved someone from a loveless abusive marriage today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Nickiepoo posted:

I like spaceships because I'm a nerd but $1000 internet spaceships over a dorky flying car advert? Hahahaha.

I see that Star Citizen has borrowed the CCP "No really it's going to exist and be fun" trailer hype machine.

Thwomp posted:

Fantasy football nerds do mock drafts to get familiar with how people are grabbing players in this year's draft. They do this thinking it'll make them better prepared for their actual draft.

Note that only hardcare FF nerds will do mock drafts. It's fake football and isn't that important to really anyone else. Plus drafts are often a crapshoot anyway. You're about as likely to draft the #1 guy for this year as you are to draft a sure-thing who gets hurt in Week 1.

So when you purposefully go into a mock draft and grab a kicker in the first round, it screws up "the way the draft is supposed to go" for the rest of the rounds.

I'm seeing an entirely new side to Fantasy Football. I always assumed it was, y'know, D&D for your jersey-sporting uncle, but if it's big enough to be actually griefable then I may have a new purpose in life.

• Locked thread