Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

e X posted:

Why would you ever put that on your food?

Yeah that's kind of the point of the whole discussion.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

e X posted:

Why would you ever put that on your food?

Because it's still basically fruit juice with alcohol and salt? I mean, if you want those things in your food, why not? On the scale of weird stuff people eat (including some of the examples in this thread) salted low alcohol wine doesn't seem that bad.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

stratdax posted:

What the hell are you even talking about. There absolutely is Cooking Wine, as opposed to just wine you drink. Cooking Wine is usually crappy, which is why you cook with it (mixed with herbs and tomatoes or whatever) instead of drinking it. Wandle Cax is absolutely correct when he says you don't drink Cooking Wine (because it's poo poo to drink, you see). What the hell!

http://winefolly.com/review/choose-cooking-wine/

Here's an actual related LifeHack: Teens can buy cooking wine to drink because it isn't controlled by the Liquor control board, it's a viewed as a sauce or vinegar (in some countries I guess).

No one under the age of 100 uses that stuff and no one who cooks even halfway respectably would ever touch it, that's what we're all laughing about, glad you could make it. He might as well dump Gatorade in there.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Wow what a vest

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Drape a torn garbage bag over your shirt to make a stylish* vest!

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Haha so now your argument is what, that "Cooking Wine" is a varietal? I sincerely hope you're like nineteen. I'd be put off by how smug you are if it wasn't so goddamn cute. Please never serve adults your cooking.

I'm not sure why you're being such an rear end in a top hat about this, but if a recipe calls for "dry white wine," and you don't like dry white wine, it's entirely possible you'll have wine leftover you have no interest in drinking.

Also, I'm not going to use a bottle of say, the Del Dotto clay cask Red Zin in my cooking, because that's loving ridiculous when an $11 bottle of decent but not as good will do just fine.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Ishamael posted:

Derelicte!

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Ishamael posted:

Cut a head hole in a giant garbage bag for a stylish waterproof poncho!

Use a smaller trash bag to keep your stylish cut-up-shirt-vest clean as you drink and cook with wine!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

13Pandora13 posted:

I'm not sure why you're being such an rear end in a top hat about this, but if a recipe calls for "dry white wine," and you don't like dry white wine, it's entirely possible you'll have wine leftover you have no interest in drinking.

Also, I'm not going to use a bottle of say, the Del Dotto clay cask Red Zin in my cooking, because that's loving ridiculous when an $11 bottle of decent but not as good will do just fine.
Then don't cook things with ingredients you don't like, genius. Or if there's a gun to your head about it for some reason, use decent wine and give the leftovers to someone who likes it. You can namecheck wines you googled while typing up your posts all you want, you're still the guy who's arguing for dumping Hobo's Choice into food you intend for people to eat and getting mad that everyone else isn't impressed by you.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Then don't cook things with ingredients you don't like, genius. Or if there's a gun to your head about it for some reason, use decent wine and give the leftovers to someone who likes it. You can namecheck wines you googled while typing up your posts all you want, you're still the guy who's arguing for dumping Hobo's Choice into food you intend for people to eat and getting mad that everyone else isn't impressed by you.

:psyduck: It was just an example because it's what I'm drinking tonight, if I were going to "namecheck" I'd name something more than like $50.

Also, not sure if you're aware, but something being cooked with white wine doesn't taste the same as drinking a glass of white wine. Wine wine in poultry dishes isn't an uncommon thing.

It's glorious you think you're the only person in this thread who knows anything about wine or cooking.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Scared of getting your debit card stolen? Don't use one. Carry large amounts of cash instead, and hide it all in your socks. Muggers will never think to look there! #lifehax

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I like that people have been cooking with wine pretty much ever since wine was invented, doing this poo poo with clay pots around campfires, and internet jerkwads will still argue for days about how the way they do it is the ONLY RIGHT WAY :argh:

Goddamn. It's cooking, not rocket science.

content:

Yes, because when they wake up to see you looming over them dripping sour poo poo into their mouth, the first thing they're going to think is 'hm i should turn over'. This is more a life(ending by getting)hack(ed to pieces)

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Should I be using red wine or white wine vinegar?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Just use the juice from a jar of pickles!

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Lotish posted:

Just use the juice from a jar of pickles!

Ugh, that reminds me of all the questionable at best Chik-fil-a copycat recipes that went around during the whole anti-gay boycott.

Chicken pretty much never needs a tablespoon of powdered sugar, IMHO.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

13Pandora13 posted:

Ugh, that reminds me of all the questionable at best Chik-fil-a copycat recipes that went around during the whole anti-gay boycott.

Chicken pretty much never needs a tablespoon of powdered sugar, IMHO.

Egads! Yeah, I would reduce the sugar. From 1 tablespoon to about 0 tablespoons.

Also loving lifehack of the year: "Want to tenderize your chicken breast? Just cut it!"

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

13Pandora13 posted:

:psyduck: It was just an example because it's what I'm drinking tonight, if I were going to "namecheck" I'd name something more than like $50.

Also, not sure if you're aware, but something being cooked with white wine doesn't taste the same as drinking a glass of white wine. Wine wine in poultry dishes isn't an uncommon thing.

It's glorious you think you're the only person in this thread who knows anything about wine or cooking.

Says the guy arguing on behalf of cooking wine. Like, can you not tell that everyone else is laughing at you about this, or are you just rationalizing it to yourself somehow? Absolutely no one is falling for your attempts to look like a knowledgeable chef or wine-drinker.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Says the guy arguing on behalf of cooking wine. Like, can you not tell that everyone else is laughing at you about this, or are you just rationalizing it to yourself somehow? Absolutely no one is falling for your attempts to look like a knowledgeable chef or wine-drinker.

I'm not arguing on behalf of (overly salted, poo poo quality) cooking wine, I'm arguing on behalf of it being 100% reasonable for you to have wine just for cooking that you are unwilling to drink.

I'm not trying to impress anybody, you're just coming off as really hostile for something that isn't unreasonable at all. Your responses to me have only made your attitude more apparent.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
drat, you're all being stupid and wasteful talking about pouring out "leftover" wine from cooking. Just mix that poo poo with some cola and gulp it down. Put a lime squeeze in it if you want to be all fancypants. Also, you can keep the wine in the fridge for weeks and still use it in your pepsi wine cocktail, you won't notice any taste degradation. Woohoo, callback to the first wine derail, YEAH! :dance:

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Soak the wine in a tampon and stick it up you are butt

If you aint got a tampon come over my place I think your mom left some here

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

You both sound retarded as gently caress.

ShrimpToast
Dec 26, 2011
Did this start because I posted the thing with the wine cubes? I'm sorry guys. :ohdear:

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

loving WHY

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

That looks like raspberry jam.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Bertrand Hustle posted:

That looks like raspberry jam.

Maybe that's the hack!

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

This sounds like a really great way to gently caress up your face:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Lifehack: Don't think the wine you cooked with tastes good enough for drinking? Get drunk on whiskey first and you won't notice the difference between the $15 and the $60 bottles.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

ShrimpToast posted:

Did this start because I posted the thing with the wine cubes? I'm sorry guys. :ohdear:

what in the flying gently caress am I even looking at?

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

13Pandora13 posted:

This sounds like a really great way to gently caress up your face:

That would look like poo poo, clog your pores, and oh yea, both nutmeg and cinnamon are skin, mucus membrane, and eye irritants. So yea, brush that poo poo all over your face. Christ, you can buy bronzer at the dollar store if you're that goddamn simultaneously poor, vain, and pale.

So basically all they did was pick out powdered substances by their color with zero consideration for how they would affect your skin.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Loomer posted:

what in the flying gently caress am I even looking at?

Someone too lazy to use a knife who really likes large mouthfuls of mustard and ketchup at different times.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

An apartheid burger.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Amoeba102 posted:

An apartheid burger.

But it's not kosher!

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Did a bottle of cooking wine fall on your father's head and kill him or something holy poo poo

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

PYF Cooking Whine

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Franzia bro, 'cause then I can just pop the leftover in a can or the ragu spaghetti sauce jar I used to make my goonfeast.

(edit)

Also that's the best lifehack, just FYI.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Heres a lifehack I just made up as I typed this sentence or maybe I heard it before, I dont know:

Want to piss off your wife? Get a dog and name the dog the same thing as her and talk to the dog more than you talk to her and gently caress your dog instead of her

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Speleothing posted:

Get drunk on whiskey

There's a life hack I can get on board with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wanamingo posted:

No, it's a thing in America too.

So does buying a case not net you any sort of discount? Even the cheapest wines at Dan Murphys are cheaper if you buy six, and even more so if you buy twelve.