Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

pseudorandom name posted:

And then when you get bored you can build a stack of TNT and go blow up your friends buildings because you are 39 years old and still a sociopath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Thanks Ants posted:

keep up, its not going to be called windows phone any more
Minecraft now on Windows!

Wait isn't it already on Windows?

No, not that Windows, the completely incompatible phone platform that we inexplicably call Windows as well for some reason.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

friends on Facebook are talking about how their kids are in literal tears over Microsoft buying Minecraft

don't underestimate Microsoft's negative brand perception among young consumers

please let this be real

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i can't wait for the effort to rewrite minecraft in .net

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I can't want for the "Minecraft" label to get slapped on unrelated products because its the only non-poisoned brand Microsoft owns.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You know, if they changed to color palette slightly, Microsoft Windows Phone 8 with Live Tiles could become Minecraft Phone 9 with Smart Blocks.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

I can't want for the "Minecraft" label to get slapped on unrelated products because its the only non-poisoned brand Microsoft owns.
Microsoft Windows Minecraft LIVE with Bing Edition Update 1

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

this

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

they're goign to bundle minecraft with windows to try to drive sales and generate youth interest but that means bundling java which will cause the inevitable

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

oh god

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
also

FMguru posted:

you know what has really been holding us back in the consumer space? the way we arent slapping our main brand - the one that reminds everyone of the barely functional machines they use at the job that they hate - on all of our products. phones are very personal devices, so we should try and create strong associations with restrictive security policies, malware outbreaks, and chubby it guys in mlp tshirts - that should drive consumer adoption, particularly at the high end. we should make them out of creaky black plastic, to really drive the point home.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

they're goign to bundle minecraft with windows to try to drive sales and generate youth interest but that means bundling java which will cause the inevitable

nah, they'll just use IKVM

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

minivanmegafun posted:

i can't wait for the effort to rewrite minecraft in .net
i hope the lovely programmer art spills over into other products

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lol i played minecraft for charity so i can confidently say gently caress that game so hard

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

what

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

carry on then posted:

lol i played minecraft for charity so i can confidently say gently caress that game so hard

nah minecraft was fun for a bit

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

minecraft is kinda fun at first. gather resources and defend yourself from monsters, build a little fort or whatever hey neat

unfortunately doing anything more than building a stone hut is agonizingly tedious, which is bad because it is more sandbox than game. this is why spergs and 10 year olds love it

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Here's my well thought out and provocative minecraft opinion : (__!__)

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

a literal microsoft ad
bringing this back for the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jP4O7rEHQ8

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Nope.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
that tablet can't even replace tablets

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
minecraft is good when you start playing it because you get a great sense of "I can do anything" but the pointlessness of it soon sets in

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's poo poo.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Microsoft is replacing Metro with Minecraft. You thought you hated tiles, now you get blocks. Yes, Windows Server too.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr Dog posted:

please let this be real

it is, I have literally seen friends on Facebook say their kids are crying at the news

i haven't witnessed their sobs myself, but I doubt they're exaggerating.

I mean, I know how people in the Mac community felt when MS bought Bungie…

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

XK posted:

Microsoft is replacing Metro with Minecraft. You thought you hated tiles, now you get blocks. Yes, Windows Server too.

they left creepers in the server version too as their equivalent to the netflix chaos monkey

server blew up? should've had more redundancy or surrounded it with torches

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Athletic Footjob posted:

that tablet can't even replace tablets

I thought Microsoft had stopped calling the Surface a tablet a long while ago, all the marketing material says laptop, and "better than a laptop" only?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

backlit keyboard, usable trackpad, app store you'd want to use, can be used on a lap

any advertising where you feel the need to compare a list of features with a competitor like an dyp phone buyer just ends up making you look horribly insecure.

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

backlit keyboard, usable trackpad, app store you'd want to use, can be used on a lap

any advertising where you feel the need to compare a list of features with a competitor like an dyp phone buyer just ends up making you look horribly insecure.

"oh god why won't you buy me i'm just as good as him i'm such a nice guy please why do you only buy rear end in a top hat tablets for hipsters i'd treat you so much better"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

minivanmegafun posted:

it was a lot more fun before they fixed the "fire never stops as long as there are trees around" bug. set one tree alight and you'd clear cut as much of the map had been generated at the time.

rear end

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

duTrieux. posted:

more shaggar? I can't wait

:allears:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol this music.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

all this annoying house stuff is going to be hilariously funny in about 5 years when everybody wants to distance themselves from it.

but that will require us raising people who know how to write music, so who knows maybe we'll be in the 4:4 house hole for a while

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

minivanmegafun posted:

it was a lot more fun before they fixed the "fire never stops as long as there are trees around" bug. set one tree alight and you'd clear cut as much of the map had been generated at the time.

wait how is this a bug? fire is a raging, unstoppable force under the right conditions in the real world and your description makes it seem like it was doing exactly that in minecraft pre-"fix"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

wait that's not an ad intended for the korean market? :psyduck:

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

pagancow posted:

all this annoying house stuff is going to be hilariously funny in about 5 years when everybody wants to distance themselves from it.

but that will require us raising people who know how to write music, so who knows maybe we'll be in the 4:4 house hole for a while

at least microsoft hasn't gotten on the trap bandwagon?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

univbee posted:

wait how is this a bug? fire is a raging, unstoppable force under the right conditions in the real world and your description makes it seem like it was doing exactly that in minecraft pre-"fix"

it wasn't a fix, it was a nerf -- fire used to spread infinitely, it was changed to have a finite randomized generation counter (in part because trees are randomly generated close enough to surface lava pools to spontaneously ignite)

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Miley Virus posted:

at least microsoft hasn't gotten on the trap bandwagon?

trap was mainstream in 2006, its too soon for it to be mainstream again

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

thats a pretty standard delay before microsoft pick up on it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

univbee posted:

'cause sometimes you'd have a block just hovering in midair on fire forever, so when minivanmegafun set the forest on fire like a minute into the server, it wouldn't burn out

you'd walk a bit and suddenly be in a raging forest fire in a brand new grid

• Locked thread