Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Pohl posted:

No one is panicking, except that one guy. Why does everyone think we are panicking? We are talking about how loving stupid our government and healthcare systems are.

I'm referring specifically to the one guy. Possibly also sources external to this thread, but mostly him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Salt Fish posted:

Source? I'm particularly interested in the numbers you used for "all other infections diseases combined" in Africa. This being D+D and not GBS you did make a calculation right?

By late January the highest CDC estimates have 10% of the entire population of Liberia and Sierra Leone having caught the disease. Normally these countries have a death rate of ~9/1000... or .9% of the population die every year. Unless Ebola is immediately under control more people are going to die in January of 2015 than the entire previous year.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rabble posted:

American healthcare and crisis response.jpg

Correct, American healthcare and crisis response.jpg is a picture following scientifically vetted procedure for cleaning up a biohazard of this type. A good post.

Pohl posted:

Everyone made fun of me for talking about Capitalism and cost. Look at this poo poo.

What about it? It's a cheapy wrap and paint job.

fits my needs posted:

I don't think proper containment procedures are being followed in Dallas.

A man passes a bag, delivered by the Red Cross and the North Texas Food Bank, in to the apartment unit at The Ivy Apartments complex where a man diagnosed with the Ebola virus was staying in Dallas, Texas October 2, 2014.

That's literally as much containment as you need for people in this condition.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

No, but you'd think they'd directly handle the first cases to prevent a larger outbreak where they can't directly control things.

Yeah you'd expect that... if you know nothing of how they operate, and how they prefer to keep their best trained agents safe as long as possible in case something needs to be done in a real hurry - say a few hundred people needing stuff done. For this, every major city area has to have tons of people trained to the same standards and there's little need to waste a jet flight from ATL.

CheesyDog posted:

Unpaid sick leave doesn't feed your kids. And after all, it's probably just a cold, nothing to really worry about!

ConGlomCo Franchise #584 can easily find someone else desperate for a minimum wage job at a lower risk to their bottom line than letting people stay at work visibly sick during a disease emergency.

Alas Boobylon posted:

I know all the cool kids are saying Ebola's not very infectious, but please PLEASE keep in mind that the bulk of our knowledge of how this virus operates comes from small populations that were quickly stamped out. We now certainly have novel strains that are specializing in aerosol resilience. We know we have these strains because countless iterations of virus have been selectively pressured to reproduce in this manner for months now: those that do it well, live, those that don't, die and Ebola overall is definitely NOT dying! Early in the outbreak every conversation was bracketed by the tut-tuting of "the fear is worse than the disease." Well, we've left that point behind. Yes in a perfect utopian world the combined efforts of ten thousand medics would easily eradicate the virus in weeks, but if such a world existed the virus wouldn't ever be propagated in the first place. We have been stupid, the virus has exploited this by flooding West Africa with quadrillions of novel iterations. They aren't airborne but anyone who isn't wearing a full hazmat suit is vulnerable to symptomatic people in close quarters, even for a moment. Oh, and if the virus evolves to shed BEFORE the host is symptomatic? Don't think that can't happen with essentially unlimited genetic dice rolls.

Goon's idea: this post
Reality: a man falls through the earth and into parisian catacombs. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my nigga have u tried zmapp???"

Pohl posted:

Why does a resident have access to the people inside? Once again, failure.
Thanks for the link.

Correct, you have a failure to understand quarantine requirements needed for ebola. Don't know why you felt you had to admit it, but whatever.

Pohl posted:

A quarantine is useless if people can just walk up and knock on the door.

No it ain't.

Brannock posted:

Ebola will be inconsequential. :) It won't mean anything. It will be a trifle. You pathetic peasant -- why are you panicking? Trust.

Just because some people here have trouble hearing truth does not mean you people are actually right.

Trabisnikof posted:

To be fair, its horrible image control regardless. Not exactly inspiring confidence in the public even if it ends up not being as dangerous as it appears.

And what's going to happen from "losing confidence"? People refusing to get treatment out of spite?

Pohl posted:

No one is panicking, except that one guy. Why does everyone think we are panicking? We are talking about how loving stupid our government and healthcare systems are.

Yes you're talking about falsehoods in this case. Good for you, that means you're panicking.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Does becoming aware of my lack of preparations for riding out some kind of epidemic count as panicking? Because I don't think I'm panicking, but the whole situation has engendered a feeling of "Hmm, I wouldn't mind stocking up a bit on some basic necessities over the next few months."

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Ebolavirus 2014: my nigga have you tried zmapp???

e:

Bel Shazar posted:

Does becoming aware of my lack of preparations for riding out some kind of epidemic count as panicking? Because I don't think I'm panicking, but the whole situation has engendered a feeling of "Hmm, I wouldn't mind stocking up a bit on some basic necessities over the next few months."

Same. I'm <1mi from Target, but we live in a fairly highly-trafficked section of town - in an epidemic (assuming at least partial risk to health from normal outside activity), we'd have easy access to food, but we're sandwiched between train tracks and a six-lane highway and 1/2mi from the town hospital, so I think rebasing to somewhere less vulnerable to trafficked pathogens or violence as important as stocking up. Gotta get somewhere more fortified.

I'm just going through thought exercises but survivalists actively plan for/base large portions of life around this poo poo - jesus, that must be a strain

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 3, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

What the hell? Tell me what I've been false about, I'd appreciate it. I mean that sincerely, because I will consider it and stew on it and whatnot. I'm keeping an open mind about this entire thing, so if you can tell me what I did wrong, I'd appreciate it.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 3, 2014

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Bel Shazar posted:

Having a first-aid kit, some basic medical supplies and more than a couple days' worth of grub and water on hand is always a good idea, if you can afford it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bel Shazar posted:

Just remember that the same preparations help for all other disasters. And no matter where you are theres some manner of disaster that's common to your area that ya need to be ready for anyway.

Pohl posted:

What the hell? Tell me what I've been false about, I'd appreciate it. I mean that sincerely, because I will consider it and stew and it and whatnot. I'm keeping an open mind about this entire thing, so if you can tell me what I did wrong, I'd appreciate it.

Practically everything you've posted with regard to the healthcare system and actual and future responses thereof. Including your clownish sub-GBS level understanding of what's needed for quarantine of asymptomatic individuals.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Bel Shazar posted:

There's nothing panicky about being prepared for an emergency. You won't likely need it it for Ebolamania 2014, but there's always natural disasters and so on. Basic first aid, couple days worth of food/water, basic toiletries, flashlight + extra batteries, portable weather radio, etc. all in a bag that you don't go dipping into and you keep somewhere you can grab it in a hurry. Feel free to go Frank Bates level crazy, but it's not really necessary.

e: that said, if you do have a firearm (and you should, if you're responsible enough), never hurts to have a box of ammo in there too

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 3, 2014

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Alternatively, you're already probably dead by the time you need to grab your bug-out bag.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

Alternatively, you're already probably dead by the time you need to grab your bug-out bag.

The scenario I'm worried about is the scare grows and at the same time a few additional cases pop up around Dallas and all of a sudden it's Martial Law from El Paso to Beaumont and I'm stuck at home for a month

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think it is reasonable to hope that most of the hospitals in the U.S. will look at the PR disaster -- to say nothing of the health disaster -- Presbyterian is in, and have an immediate review of Ebola procedures for all hands.

I imagine a lot of this came about because no nurse/doctor really thought they'd be the first person to actually run into an ebola case in the U.S. Now that it has happened, I'd sure hope doctors and nurses will take the possibility a lot more seriously.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bel Shazar posted:

The scenario I'm worried about is the scare grows and at the same time a few additional cases pop up around Dallas and all of a sudden it's Martial Law from El Paso to Beaumont and I'm stuck at home for a month

For real those buckets of mre food they sell on like Amazon are pretty ok. We'd get them for big scout camping stuff and they'll last forever and are reasonably cheap for what they are.

You'd almost certainly be sick and tired of eating them after day 20 but whatever ya know.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Epitope posted:

Your post freaked me out, but it is wrong. This is one of the residents, not an aid worker. Also you were leaching, so i rehosted it. Here's the series
http://www.gazettenet.com/living/health/13803096-95/family-who-hosted-ebola-patient-confined-to-home

since nobody else seems to have clicked this link, or have reading comprehension this image isn't a worker giving them food.

It's one of the folks under quarantine retrieving food the North Texas Food Bank left for them at their door step.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Bel Shazar posted:

Eh, even if you had absolutely nothing in your pantry, most people can go a lot longer than they think without eating anything if they're just sitting around doing nothing. Weeks. lovely weeks, but you won't die. Water, on the other hand, if for whatever reason your municipal supply gets shut off, unlikely as that is, just fill as many containers as you can when martial law is declared and you should be fine.

Berke Negri posted:

Unless the bag itself kills me, no harm. v:shobon:v

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

By late January the highest CDC estimates have 10% of the entire population of Liberia and Sierra Leone having caught the disease. Normally these countries have a death rate of ~9/1000... or .9% of the population die every year. Unless Ebola is immediately under control more people are going to die in January of 2015 than the entire previous year.

1% of the population of Africa is 10,000,000 people. The original claim is more people than all infectious disease in Africa combined.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Bel Shazar posted:

I don't know where you live but in that wide stretch of area you'd be better just dumping $100 or so on non-perishables which would last you a very bland, terrified month at least. Better than venturing into the desert with a flashlight and some rations. If you have the money to not work for a month than I guess just buy a lot of campbell's and never open the door but this is still extreme.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Or gently caress, make some hardtack tomorrow. It is literally just flour, water, and a bit of salt. It's unpleasant, but it lasts decades.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

I don't know where you live but in that wide stretch of area you'd be better just dumping $100 or so on non-perishables which would last you a very bland, terrified month at least. Better than venturing into the desert with a flashlight and some rations. If you have the money to not work for a month than I guess just buy a lot of campbell's and never open the door but this is still extreme.

Small acreage in central Texas. I'm basically shooting for "buy like you're preparing for a hurricane in Houston" since that's something I can relate to. More than anything I'm just surprised I hadn't already done it, once I got to thinking about it.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
Ok, I guess now the thread is freaking out. Way to go people.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Pohl posted:

That kinda gets to the root of my original question... does that count as freaking out or is that just a pretty good idea regardless of the current Ebola scare.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Was only a matter of time

quote:

In the face of an Ebola outbreak unlike any other seen before, officials are turning to unprecedented measures: makeshift clinics that will offer little or no care.

At a one-day conference in London on Thursday, Britain and Sierra Leone appealed for more help and officials discussed new ways to slow the lethal virus, including plans to build up to 1,000 makeshift Ebola clinics in Sierra Leone.

The new clinics will offer little, if any, treatment, but could be built quickly and would get sick people away from their families and hopefully slow the infection rate. The clinics will first be tested in several locations before being rolled out more widely, according to the World Health Organization.

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268781/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=1vcMmPwg

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Pohl posted:

It's one person really, at best, while you've been posting all day that our (admittedly lovely) system is going to infect us all because of for-profit hospitals.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Pohl posted:

I wouldn't call it freaking out until people start suggesting poo poo like radiation pills and powered respirators.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Salt Fish posted:

1% of the population of Africa is 10,000,000 people. The original claim is more people than all infectious disease in Africa combined.

I said West Africa, not Africa as a whole. Again, worst case CDC estimates have between 550,000 to 1+ million cases by late January in Liberia and Sierra Leone alone. The populations of Sierra Leone and Liberia are around 10 million combined. More people are going to die of Ebola next year in these countries, the rest of West Africa, and I wouldn't be surprised Africa as a whole in 2015 than all other causes of death, and certainly other infectious diseases.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

According to the statement, doctors and nurses all followed the necessary protocols when administering to a patient with suspected communicable disease. However, the way the electronic health records at the hospital are set up, if a nurse enters travel history into the nursing workflow portion of the electronic health record, that information doesn’t automatically show up in the doctor workflow portion of the record.

Our health system sucks.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Computers make everything worse, from healthcare to pickups.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Presby uses the Epic system. You don't need a news article to tell you that Epic is a complicated, hot mess.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/loca..._medium=twitter

DALLAS -- Five members of the Dallas County Sheriff's Department who were briefly inside the apartment where a man with Ebola stayed have been temporarily put on leave.‎

"They're very concerned," said Christopher Dyer, president of the Dallas County Sheriff's Association. ‎"Their families are concerned. You've got to go home and tell your spouse, 'Hey, I was just inside this house where a guy had Ebola.'"

The three deputies, a sergeant, and a lieutenant accompanied the head of Dallas County Health and Human Services Department and a doctor into the apartment late Wednesday night. They had gone there on the orders of Sheriff Lupe Valdez to get the people inside to sign a court order forbidding them from leaving the apartment.

Dyer said deputies should never have been involved to begin with, because he considers it a federal issue and not a local matter.

"My anger is really with the feds," he said. "Let's move that family. Let's move everybody out of that building. I don't care if it's overkill. Let's do overkill. I don't think sending a few deputies in there is the right course of action.‎"

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Lote posted:

Presby uses the Epic system. You don't need a news article to tell you that Epic is a complicated, hot mess.

I sat with my mom in the hospital last May, and the nurse had to enter her personal information twice, on two devices. She explained that the hospital was upgrading, but the computers could not talk to each other. I was totally floored.
The US spends more money than any other country on health care. When you actually have the unwilling privilege of being at the point of service, however, it is a joke.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So, I've seen this discussed elsewhere by HCWs:

quote:

If they haven't bothered to contact the crews, they sure haven't contacted the potential 50 patients that rode on the same stretcher and potentially used the same bp cuff, the same pulse oximeter as the patient

In re: this quoted article. One spoiler: http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Texas/2014/10/2/Dallas-Paramedic-We-Werent-Contacted-After-Working-in-Ebola-Exposed-Ambulance

quote:

A Dallas paramedic claimed he drove the ambulance that the US Ebola patient was transported in and that he was not contacted by anyone about the potential exposure. He claims he drove the ambulance sometime after the patient was transported...

...“All the people in the back of the ambulance 48 hours later before they finally took the ambulance out of service,” said Dallas Paramedic Geoffrey Aklinski in a discussion on Facebook, “none of them have been contacted...

...he was going to a doctor on his own initiative to be tested for the Ebola virus...

Yeah, yeah, I know the source and the source's reputation. I'd appreciate seeing this confirmed or denied by a more reputable source. Know the hospital sent the family back to a house that I'm unsure has been adequately disinfected yet, with environmental contamination left ourside and not disnfected for what appears to be a few days, I haven't been inspired with confidence by the local response.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
"Preventing an epidemic in Dallas is not a local matter. I am deeply disappointed."

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
It turns out one of the children who had a form of contact with the Liberian patient zero went to school...

quote:

One of the five Dallas ISD students who had contact with an Ebola patient attended Tasby Middle School part of the day on Wednesday, before going home, district officials said.

Dallas ISD had said that the five students were not in school Wednesday.

“We just got new information, something that we might not have known,” said DISD spokesman André Riley on Thursday.

Riley was not certain how long the student was in school Wednesday. But he said it was the “early part of the day.”

The impacted students attend Conrad High School, Tasby Middle School, and Hotchkiss and Rogers elementary schools. They have been removed from the school for three weeks. The virus has a 21-day incubation period.

Riley reiterated that none of the five students have shown any symptoms of having the virus.

Zachary Thompson, director of Dallas County health and Human Services, said the family was notified Tuesday about the need to keep the students home.

“Everybody was aware. Maybe he took it upon himself to go to school,” Thompson said.

More to come…

More information from DISD Spokesman Jon Dahlander:

“Regarding the Tasby student who showed up for school yesterday: please note that we believe all 5 of the students attended school Monday and Tuesday. None of them showed any symptoms and were therefore not contagious.”

“We’re not sure why the Tasby student showed up for school on Wednesday but, once he was identified, he was asked to go to the Nurse’s office so that a parent could be contacted. During the limited time he was on campus, he showed no symptoms yesterday either.”

“Remember, the reason why all of these students have been asked not to attend school is out of an abundance of caution. A person infected with Ebola–and we don’t know if any of these students are–is not contagious until symptoms appear.”

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

My Imaginary GF posted:

So, I've seen this discussed elsewhere by HCWs:

In re: this quoted article. One spoiler: http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Texas/2014/10/2/Dallas-Paramedic-We-Werent-Contacted-After-Working-in-Ebola-Exposed-Ambulance

Yeah, yeah, I know the source and the source's reputation. I'd appreciate seeing this confirmed or denied by a more reputable source. Know the hospital sent the family back to a house that I'm unsure has been adequately disinfected yet, with environmental contamination left ourside and not disnfected for what appears to be a few days, I haven't been inspired with confidence by the local response.

Confirmed what? Ambulances get disinfected after every run for obvious reasons. Infectious disease is not a new problem.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I said West Africa, not Africa as a whole. Again, worst case CDC estimates have between 550,000 to 1+ million cases by late January in Liberia and Sierra Leone alone. The populations of Sierra Leone and Liberia are around 10 million combined. More people are going to die of Ebola next year in these countries, the rest of West Africa, and I wouldn't be surprised Africa as a whole in 2015 than all other causes of death, and certainly other infectious diseases.

It's also having a ripple effect since the surge in Ebola cases means diseases and other health problems are now longer getting addressed.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I don't understand how this is possible. How did they get past the police officer that was supposed to be at the door? More than a concern about the infectiousness of these kids I'm horrified at the incompetent response to this.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think what happened is they were asked not to leave their home but initially did anyway and now they have law enforcement sitting outside making sure they don't.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
So assuming this patient zero chap lives, he's getting charged with something, right? I mean he flat out lied about having been in contact with Ebola patients.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

I don't understand how this is possible. How did they get past the police officer that was supposed to be at the door? More than a concern about the infectiousness of these kids I'm horrified at the incompetent response to this.

Its really not a big deal. The kid attended school before the quarantine order (and thus the cop) and doesn't have a fever and thus isn't contagious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So assuming this patient zero chap lives, he's getting charged with something, right? I mean he flat out lied about having been in contact with Ebola patients.

Statistically, he is going to die. So who cares? I wrote a post before about blame, but I guess I need to make it again. This is not about patient zero, this is about our stupid health care system. Sooner or later we are going to have an epidemic in the US, and blaming a person really doesn't do us any good. We can blame him, but what the hell does that do for us?

And he did tell the nurse he was in Africa, the hospital is blaming software for the miscommunication.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 3, 2014

• Locked thread